Indiana University Employee Reviews in United States

Secure Jobs and Friendly Culture
Fiscal & Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 27, 2016
A University is a great place to work if you want a secure career and less chance of layoff. Depending on which department you land in, you could work with wonderful people or not so wonderful. But that's the same for any work situation. Because it's a State entity, it is dependent upon government funding, so pay is not as high. But they do take care of their employees with an unbeatable benefits package.
Pros
Benefits Package, Collaborative Culture, Intelligent Atmosphere
Cons
Low Wages
Leading educational institution with diverse job opportunities
Disability Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 18, 2016
Indiana University provides excellent benefits, and lots of resources for employees. Good support for work/life balance and employee health. However, at times the size of the institution makes it a challenging work environment.
Pros
Wellness programs
Cons
Bureaucracy
Flexible yet professional position
Undergraduate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 7, 2016
The position as an undergraduate instructor involved attending classes and labs. During which I helped lead and aid the instructor in communicating course material to students. This was a satisfying job that I held for three semesters. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing confused students grasping the material once they came to you for help. I found interest in the idea that I provided a refreshing perspective on the material that helped students understand complex material.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 15, 2016
Indiana University is a great place, at least in the Psychology Department. The people there are really nice and offer great opportunities. Of course, not everyone and everything is perfect, but really, the job I had, being a UTA, was one of the best jobs I ever had.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Not so great job security
Good place to teach and work
Adjunct Lecturer, Indiana University Southeast (Current Employee) –  New Albany, INApril 27, 2016
I only have worked at IU part time, but it is a very dedicated institution of higher education. I learned patience and how to motivate people. As an adjunct, I had limited contact with co-workers, but when I did, they were always very helpful and supportive. The hardest part of the job was grading, as it takes hours and I am very meticulous. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students master a concept and the joy and satisfaction it brought them.
Productive enviornment but alot of down time and only part time employment
RPS Maintenece Facilites (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 14, 2015
It was an ok position but only part time, and wasn't a very rewarding position a lot of down time waiting on laundry to get done and then once it was done it was done there was only the cleaning process then it was down time and nothing more to do but find something to do. No room for Advancement.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
No room for Advancing
Awesome Job, Awesome People
Cook/Cashier, Cafe Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMarch 30, 2016
Indiana University is the best place I've ever had the privilege of working for. Most everyone I have worked with is incredibly caring, nice, and understanding. The job can sometimes get difficult and hectic, but it makes it easier knowing you have a group of fully supportive co-workers and managers. All employees are treated with respect and are compensated well for the work they do. I would, and have, recommended this job to others.
Great
Language instructor assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMarch 2, 2016
My typical day of work was gratifying and fulfilling. I was the Spanish language assistant to the Spanish Professor in Indiana University. I learnt Spanish grammar; teaching skills; methodology; and interpersonal working skills with my coworkers. I also learned to manage time properly and to meet schedules on time.
The hardest part of my job was not to be able to teach, and the most enjoyable part of my job was to interact with students in a multicultural setting.
System Development internship in Indiana University Kokomo
SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 16, 2016
As a developer, I worked with a programming team that had excellent management as well as excellent team members. The team was enjoyable to work with; and the clients were very knowledgeable of the system that they were asking from us for development.
IPFW is a really good place to work, I have learn so much from being a part of team.
Student Records and Transcripts (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 2, 2014
We have some crunch times every semester that can be make it hard but my co-workers are a great team to work with. When we work together as a team, we are able to accomplish our goal to help the students accomplish their goal of receiving their education. Also, faculty is able to provide their grades so transcript are updated in a timely manner. The management is great too, I am confident that they will look out for their workers and help to make things go smooth. All of this makes it enjoyable to work together in the office. I have learned so much from working at this university from working as a team, helping students accomplish their goals, balancing my work life, learning different cultures and dealing with so many personalities.
Pros
free tee shirts and discounts at different places
Cons
the pay could be higher, have not had a raise in 4 years
A very enjoyable place to work
Administrative Assistant/Graduate Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 22, 2015
A typical day at work consists of scheduling committee meetings along with being responsible for the department chair's calendar, coordinating the graduate application process, planning large and small scale events on and off campus, completing various reports, processing credit card statements, processing employee and non employee travel, taking meeting minutes, recruitment of new faculty, coordinating campus visits for international visitors and delegations and completing any other needs in the department.
Pros
Flexible schedule, healthcare
Cons
Slow paced environment
Excellent organization
Marketing Course Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 14, 2016
Indiana University Bloomington campus provided excellent training and support for its support staff. The program was extremely transparent. Extra work was always available and challenging.
Unorganized, mortuary work environment
Issuing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 27, 2016
Management is in their own world, making changes and not telling employees that it affect. no talking allowed or you get in trouble, like working in a mortuary.
excellent
Student (Current Employee) –  bloomingtonJuly 13, 2016
made strides in every area of the job and excelled at playing football and recruiting players to join the team. Ensured that each player was represented appropriately
Productive work place.
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  BloomingtonMarch 15, 2016
I learned a lot while working at Indiana University, Bloomington. Besides, I gained valuable teaching experience with teaching an undergraduate class and gaining familiarity with the technology to teach the classes effectively.
Instructional Design
Volunteer Teaching Assistant for R546 (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 14, 2015
Having a contingent plan, time management, collaboration, efficient and effective, knowing enough about client or audiences, division of labor, having strong objectives, skills/knowledge about tools/artifacts, strong presentation skills.
Indiana University
Professor (Current Employee) –  SPEAJune 12, 2016
Its a great place to work if you have a full time job. The students are well behaved and there is no interference from the employer in teaching.
Productive and flexible work time
Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 13, 2016
I worked part time 11+ hours per week and my supervisor always understand my schedule as a full time student. My working schedule is mainly on the weekend and after school
Paid well, but paid the price
Telecommunications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IndianaMay 30, 2015
They hate individuality. Tried to beat it out of me for 27 years. It paid well, but that was back in the day when you could retire here. Got laid off after 27 years and would not have to have a degree to get a job like I had. They want young people that they can pay an hourly wage with no benefits now. I loved my co-workers. The managers were inept and there was a real "good old boys" culture.
Pros
pay
Cons
Wanted stepford workers
Lead Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 22, 2015
This place provides a steady work place but it does seem to get stagnant after a while. There are projects the come along but most of the time it seems to be a typical routine managing equipment and handling issues that come with a large university network infrastructure.
Pros
unbeatable benefits and free software
Cons
hard to move around and develop new skill sets

4.3