Indiana University Employee Reviews

Great organization to work for!
Director Emergency Management & Continuity (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 6, 2017
Our department was responsible for emergency planning and coordination for the Bloomington campus. This entailed pulling together representatives from local, state and federal agencies and doing it under the atmosphere required by an institution of higher education. This was both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Exciting campus atmosphere, great colleagues
Cons
Small department, lots of work
Did not feel like a job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 5, 2017
Being a teacher's assistant, I attended the class everyday and paid attention to lectures. After the lecture was over I would present an in class activity and the students would work in groups to finish the activity. I walked around the classroom to answer questions and or concerns about the lecture of activity. I was also available for the students via email any night of the week. The best part about this job was that I was a current student and being a teacher's assistant I was on the same campus doing normal student duties but just did not have to take the exams or quizzes.
Lecture hall with approximately 100 students
Undergraduate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 26, 2017
In a typical day I would help students learn an introductory coding language. While helping students learn, I was also able to perfect my own skill with the coding language. the hardest part of my job was trying to get the students more involved in learning and the most enjoyable part was when they fully bought in to understanding the material.
Pros
Gained valuable communication skills
Cons
Students were not always engaged in learning material
Good place to gain work experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2017
It was one of the best organization to work with.In the early phase of the career, a lot can be learned.The best possible way to thrive in the career is to learn new technologies which cognizant gives its employees ample ways to learn.
Great environment
Graduate Assistant in School of Public Health (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, IN 47404January 15, 2017
A lot of good things can be learnt while working here, even if you are a student. Work life balance is balance is amazing and motivating.
Challenging and rewarding
Veteran Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 9, 2017
Complex work with Veterans benefits, working with federal regulations and school policies can be stressful. part of the job was dealing with the constant changes to the laws and polices from both. Heavy work load for number of employees in office. Had good support from supervisors and lots of training opportunities.
Indiana University has great health benefits. Supervisors were good to work with on use of time off, vacation and sick leave. Annual salary increases were given, but not consistent with cost of living.
Enjoyed working with students and seeing them succeed. IU campus is beautiful and a joy to be on.
Pros
Good benefits, good work environment, lots of training oppourtunities. Enjoyed the student
Cons
Heavy work load, bureaucracy
Great benefits, low salary and little room for advancement
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 8, 2017
IU offers great benefits, including good health insurance (HSA contribution, monetary incentivized yearly HealthyIU blood screening), and modest employer-sponsored 401K (only vested though after 3 full years of employment). Furthermore, work-life balance is also very good; IU is very accepting, open and comfortable community. However, the salary is fairly low, and the raises are abysmal: my first year at IU there was a 1% raise, and my second year only a 0.8% raise. There is little room for advancement, much of it is obstructed by bureaucracy and rigid hierarchies within management.

I am fortunate that in my daily work I have an independent project in addition to lab managerial duties. This is unfortunately not common. Other associates in the department are responsible only for flipping fly stocks, washing dishes, or very simple cloning projects.
Great Position
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 3, 2017
Indiana University is a wonderful place to work - great environment and challenging work. The culture of a large University can sometimes be difficult to navigate, but it's all about making the right connections.
President' Challenge on Physical Fitness (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 29, 2016
Our motto in the office was: Dedication, Perserverence, and Determination.
Wonderful people to work with on a local level
Always tried to make the work environment enjoyable
Hired IU students and helped them learn to work together
Our unit was like family, very supportive,
Pros
Family atmosphere, making a difference
Cons
based on grant money
Okay to be place
Web Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 23, 2016
Team is really small, I am just doing 10 hours a week over there so cannot speak much. They allow to work remotely, not a lot of scope to grow at. The place and office is quite small. Suitable place for undergrads and graduates looking forward to earn a few bucks while studying.
Pros
N/A
Cons
small place
Stable employer with good benefits
Building Services General Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 19, 2016
There isn't must to say about a business that doesn't "make" anything, yet it receives money none the less.
There is good and bad in it.

IU is a stable employer; yet, it is locked down by it's own policies that it may or may not follow depending on the "needs of the business".
Administration disengaged from staff
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 15, 2016
Increasing number of mid-level administrators and assistant vice presidents completely disengaged from staff carrying out the day-to-day functions required to maintain operations.
Awesome
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INNovember 12, 2016
Incredible supervisors fantastic pay. Very understanding and caring. Always willing to work with you on hours and pay. Easy schedule and hours
Good academic university
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 7, 2016
fun to work with, learnt a lot, very rich in diversity. Met an excellant group of scientists who taught me a lot about science and life.
Learning atmosphere
Associate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 3, 2016
Everyday I get to learn something new while at my job. It is fun teaching and mentoring the under graduate students. A typical day at work is helping students solve the exercises and guide them in the right direction.
Amazing office with terrific people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 7, 2016
Great office to work. Great people to work with. As an intern, I was unpaid but I enjoyed the time I spent with them. I worked on some small digital sign projects and helped relieve the workload of the other designers in the office. Also helped manually fix small "passports" [the school's version of a checklist throughout a student's undergraduate career].
Pros
Awesome design projects to work, great people to work with, outstanding management
Cons
N/A
Student Data QA Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 3, 2016
I love the flexibility of my position at I.U. and hate to leave; however, I am moving to Louisville as soon as I am able to find work there.
Pros
flexibility, friendly staff, relaxed
Associate Instructor-Web Developer
Teaching Assistant / Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 1, 2016
Decent Work and Pay.You have to work for 10 hours a week.Hence not much work but things look very good .Sometime can get hectic but rest of the time things are super fine and chill.Nothing too serious
Productive work
Private Tutor for Discrete Math of Informatics (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 1, 2016
I increased communication and leadership skills by teaching students about discrete math of informatics. The class is difficult to some students, but I created practice problems that further advanced their knowledge of the class and prepared them for exams. Self-management and critical thinking skills were also increased during my time as a private tutor. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the increase in progress of the students.
Pros
Both a teaching and learning experience.
Cons
N/A
Awsome place to work
Custodial Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 18, 2016
Really good place to work. They care about you, They train you well . They set you up in a team and that is how you work, They don't over work you. They have supervisors that work with you sometimes
Pros
you work 9 hr nights
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indiana University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3