Indiana University

Indiana University United States Employee Reviews

Great place with good people
Head Tech (Current Employee), Bloomington, INApril 17, 2015
Between all my jobs at Indiana University I have not found a single person that I work for that is bad. I love the people I work for and the jobs that I do. Each job brings something different and adds to my knowledge and experience.
IU Bloomington provides an opportunity to improve and explore
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bloomington, INApril 7, 2015
The University provides an infrastructure for high performance computing through one of the fastest (one petaflops) research supercomputers named "Big Red II"
Safety Escort is a great workplace with a supportive crew
Driver, Navigator, Dispatcher (Current Employee), Bloomington, INMarch 16, 2015
The goal of the IU Safety Escort is to provide students, staff, and faculty with access to safe rides at night. Our service has three job positions: they are dispatcher, navigator, and driver. A dispatcher sits in the office and forwards calls from our riders to the vans. This position requires great communication skills and patience. The navigator sits in the passenger's seat of a van and organizes call times and lets the driver know where they need to drive. The driver, as one might imagine, must know the city fairly well and have an excellent driving record. For the most part, all employees are trained in all three positions.

My coworkers at Safety Escort are great. They truly care about each other and attempt to make everyone feel included. They are certainly the most enjoyable part of the job. Overall, while the position can be stressful, and one must have great patience, this job is a great position to have as a student of Indiana University.
I enjoyed my years as a graduate student in IU.
Research Associate (Former Employee), Bloomington, INFebruary 10, 2015
I absolutely love my stay at IU as a graduate student. I learned a ton from both my advisors and colleagues. Being a small college town, Bloomington is rich in its diverse cultures. You can find almost any restaurant from all over the world, Chinese, Burmese, Thai, Greek, Moroccan, Middle eastern, Afghanistan, you name it.
Excellent.
Electrician (Former Employee), Bloomington, INFebruary 10, 2015
I rigged, hung, installed and wired lighting and other electrical devices for use in stage performances, following specifications given by the stage and production managers. My job required endurance, heavy lifting, and often times working at heights in excess of eighty feet from the floor. Using specifications and directions provided by the managers, I ensured the lighting setups were of the correct size and make, as well as the correct color to create appropriate aesthetics. This job sometimes required odd hours, starting late at night and ending early in the morning, so as to transition from one show’s specific setup to another in a timely manner.
Great employment setting with room to grow and advance
Chair of BSN and Higher Degree Nursing Programs (Former Employee), Kokomo, INFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: very responsive to new educational initiatives
Cons: poor campus-wide chancellor leadership
Nice collegial environment
Great benefits and resources
Quality education provided
Great community environment
Good advancement opportunities
Great connection to a state-wide university system
Systems Analyst/ Application Programmer (Current Employee), Bloomington, INFebruary 2, 2015
Good place to work, good work-life balance.
Bloomington is a good town for staying, especially if you have a family. Job security is good.
Not a good place to work if you expect respect from your Supervisors. Administration lacks integrity. Minorities, especially Blacks are well underpaid
Senior Secretary (Former Employee), Gary, INJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: good medical/dental/insurance benefits/tuition benefits
Cons: supervisors/administrators lacks integrity and good work ethics; dishonest administration.
I am a former emploee of Indiana University Northwest. The health benefits were good (medical and dental). Other benefits were good also since insurance is extremely expensive if you are 100 percent responsible. However, this is a very political place to work. Management has very poor skills in commuincation, leadership and management. They do not support their employees who have obtained a Degree from them. They would rather hire outsiders. It is not what you know or how much education or experience you have. If the Administration does not care for you as a person, you will never get promoted. The overall work ethics of the Administration.....well, it is almost non-existent. They have NO integrity.
It was a job I needed at the time.
Cashier (Former Employee), Fee Lane, Bloomington, Indiana 47401January 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch to a certain limit.
Cons: there was no healthcare
Indiana University was not a bad place to work. I had not been there long enough to be considered for healthcare. The pay increases were not enough for me to help provide the needs for my family.

A typical day at work was cashiering students in a timely manner and keeping the dining area clean.

I learned the management through the college was followed by others that told them how things should be managed and ran. Managers ought to help out when needed and this is what ours did.

My co-workers were great to work with. We all enjoyed each others company and would help each other out when needed.

There really wasn't a hard part of the job. I already had experience with customers and cashiering.

The most enjoyable part of my job when students stayed in touch with me after they had graduated, and they still are.
A good college job that offered time for study and other tasks
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJanuary 19, 2015
I was the main correspondence between the students and their residential facilities and staff. My responsibilities included mostly mail room duties as well as answering any questions that the students and any guests or visitors had. The staff were all very amicable and they welcomed anyone who chose to work with them.
Work-Study work experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: flexibility
This university was a good place to work when in college. Typical work day varies. I learned a lot of things needed when entering into the workforce. Management was very supportive of the employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility.
easy workplace with a great staff and co-workers
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee), Bloomington, IndianaJanuary 12, 2015
I usually start by cleaning restrooms and taking out the garbage, then vacuuming rooms and hallways. I learned many ways to clean and detail rooms, and learned how to make my tasks less strenuous. The management was very fair, straight, and very helpful. The co-workers were great, they taught me a lot about the job, and were very kind and helpful. The hardest part was getting the dormatory ready for new residents, but the most enjoyable part was interacting with the faculty and students there, and making the students feel at home with making sure the facility was prepped for the residents to move into.
Productive and fun
Associate Instructor for Intro to Programming (Current Employee), BloomingtonJanuary 10, 2015
Good job. Pay is also nothing to complain.
Helpful for learning new language.
My Co-workers
Videographer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoyed working with my peers and developing good working relationships with them.
Good school for biology
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Bloomington, INJanuary 7, 2015
The biology department is great, full of good faculty and energetic students.
Productive something different everyday, fun place to work
Library Assistant part-time (Current Employee), Gary, INDecember 31, 2014
Pros: breaks
Cons: no benefits, no vacation pay
Provide excellent customer service, responsible for answering and transferring phone calls to proper departments, counting , maintaining an accurate petty cash bank, imputing personal information into the customer etc...
Associate Instructor (Former Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 26, 2014
Good Organization with flexible employee benefits. Good Place overall
Productive, insightful, rewarding
Language Instructor (Former Employee), IndianaDecember 25, 2014
A great team and a very rewarding. It was a month long and it was a great teaching experience.
Education environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), BloomingtonDecember 8, 2014
As a graduate student, there were opportunities to learn from faculty and to create my own space within the field. Bloomington is an incubator for ideas and study of education. Work life balance was difficult as the town revolves around the university - hard to escape.
Indiana University is really nice University where you can study, work and hang out with people all in once. It has an amazing campus.
Lecturer for Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language (Current Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 8, 2014
For me as an instructor for a language it was very interesting and relaxed. People here are very friendly and helpful, city is small so you can walk anywhere, students are very nice and polite.
I loved working here at my Department. It is nice to be surrounded by people who are focused on their academic career. It makes you think about your future goals. I really loved it.

1 2 3 4 5