Indiana University Employee Reviews

The thing I liked most about working at IU was that there really wasn't "a typical day".
Financial and Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 4, 2012
I learned there is always more than one right answer, there is a time for deep analysis and a time when one must just be brave enough to make a plan and lead the charge (even if you aren't 100% sure), that clear communication is vital and that sometimes you win--even if you aren't the best, by just working harder than the other guy. And sometimes you lose for reasons you might never know. The key is to keep trying.

I loved working for IU. There were times more difficult than others but they hired me as a secretary when I was a single 20 year old mother with nothing but a high school diploma and a desire to give my son a better life. They believed in me, promoted me, encouraged me, and allowed me to turn myself into a successful professional with 2 degrees + graduate hours and the opportunity to work on projects I'm sure I never would have been exposed to in the private sector.

It is a very political environment (but where isn't these days) yet I made friends for life and had the opportunity to meet/work with many individuals that have had a great influence on our lives and times. Thank you, IU, for helping me become who I am today.
Pros
great people, wonderful opportunity
A fun, easygoing place to work with peers.
Campus Bookstore Associate Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 21, 2014
Work began with a walk through of the store to identify points of emphasis to be met during my shift. I typically coordinated and organized the campus textbook program with the University staff. This included organizing, sorting and stocking of textbooks and supplies across multiple University locations. I learned how important it was to be organized and prompt with my work as it directly effects the productivity of others. Once training was complete, the management staff left daily tasks up to the employees and only intervened when called upon or absolutely necessary. I liked the flexibility in scheduling, allowing me to work around my school schedule. Co-workers were friendly and very helpful in the training and first few weeks of work catching me up to speed on how daily tasks should be completed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied student customers, as they aren't very understanding when it comes to complications with orders. However, this challenged me to do the very best I could in order to please the customer as well as the management team.
Pros
met peers, flexible scheduling, convenient location
Cons
work wasn't as challenging as i would have liked
This was a fast paced 24 by 7 x 365 operation
Manager Call Center & Senior Telecom Consultants (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, InJuly 11, 2013
Prior to the advent cellular telephone service the IU Bloomington Call Center was a very busy place. Calls not only came in for campus phone numbers, locations and information but also for how to cook green beans or to ask if it was okay to eat a potato if the potato was sprouting. During the summer, there would be calls from the homesick campers just needing a few minutes to talk to someone. We were also responsible for many of the after hours call out lists for various services.
I learned a lot about the campus and how other departments interact. We worked with other departments such as Residential Services and held in-service training sessions on the workings of the call center and how we interact with the other departments. The hardest part of the job was scheduling for a 24 by 7 by 365 operation in order to have the necessary coverage, but adjust it based on the events on campus.
The most enjoyable part of the job was observing the staff provide service to the customers.
Pros
it was a very service oriented business with changing customers based on campus events
Cons
not being able to assist customers that needed assistance from another area
Great learning experience
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 13, 2012
Being the undergrad teaching assistant for AMID-R 404 was a great experience that I enjoyed thoroughly. I spent my time fulfilling this role by answering students’ questions mainly via email. I always made sure to reply to emails within 12 hours. I also graded class products, which involved using an Excel document and filling in the students’ answers. Some Excel sheets had problematic formulas in it from prior semesters, so I fixed these formulas to ensure that grades were fair and 100 percent correct. By creating another Excel spreadsheet, I organized each student’s grades and input them into the student gradebook promptly. I also held review sessions for the exams, so I spent some time recreating my personal study guide so that I could answer student questions accurately and efficiently. I also did daily classroom tasks such as distribute and collect papers as well as alphabetize projects. One of my favorite duties during this class was watching finals presentations towards the end of the semester, and giving the Professor my feedback on them. I felt as if my feedback was valued and that I had a say in the classroom environment.
Fun place to study and work at
Research Assistant (NGS Data Analysis Service) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaOctober 17, 2014
I really loved the three biology courses (molecular genomics, biochem, cell biology) provided by the IBMG program at School of Medicine. They are very intense and informative. However, the courses provided by School of Informatics were not so helpful. In many cases instructors just let students make presentations instead of giving lectures themselves. Probably that's because School of Informatics was founded not long ago.

The working intensity and enjoyability of research assistant really depends on the department and the lab. So be sure to ask current members before entering a lab. If you hear something like "hmm, the professor is strict on students", then it is possibly a hint for a mean professor. Remember that the relationship between a professor and a graduate student is like master and apprentice, which is very different from modern employment relationships. So a good professor can help you a lot, meanwhile, a bad professor can hurt you a lot.
Safety Escort is a great workplace with a supportive crew
Driver, Navigator, Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMarch 16, 2015
The goal of the IU Safety Escort is to provide students, staff, and faculty with access to safe rides at night. Our service has three job positions: they are dispatcher, navigator, and driver. A dispatcher sits in the office and forwards calls from our riders to the vans. This position requires great communication skills and patience. The navigator sits in the passenger's seat of a van and organizes call times and lets the driver know where they need to drive. The driver, as one might imagine, must know the city fairly well and have an excellent driving record. For the most part, all employees are trained in all three positions.

My coworkers at Safety Escort are great. They truly care about each other and attempt to make everyone feel included. They are certainly the most enjoyable part of the job. Overall, while the position can be stressful, and one must have great patience, this job is a great position to have as a student of Indiana University.
Not a good place to work if you expect respect from your Supervisors. Administration lacks integrity. Minorities, especially Blacks are well underpaid
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 27, 2015
I am a former emploee of Indiana University Northwest. The health benefits were good (medical and dental). Other benefits were good also since insurance is extremely expensive if you are 100 percent responsible. However, this is a very political place to work. Management has very poor skills in commuincation, leadership and management. They do not support their employees who have obtained a Degree from them. They would rather hire outsiders. It is not what you know or how much education or experience you have. If the Administration does not care for you as a person, you will never get promoted. The overall work ethics of the Administration.....well, it is almost non-existent. They have NO integrity.
Pros
good medical/dental/insurance benefits/tuition benefits
Cons
supervisors/administrators lacks integrity and good work ethics; dishonest administration.
University Employment
Outreach Coordinator K-12 (Current Employee) –  INMay 15, 2013
As an employee of Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, I have gained extensive knowledge of campus life as well as professional tools to help me perform my designated duties assigned to my current position. I have and continue to learn the importance of networking, development of engaging in the learning process through watching my colleagues in their chosen career. Positive interpersonal professional relationships are a non-negotiable concerning maintaining a positive work environment. I love the work that I do because it empowers students with knowledge to pursue their dreams of completing the academic program of their choice. I thrive in high stress situations and problem solve should problems occur within any givin situation. I have learned that individuals respect and respond to the law of reciprocity in terms of being kind and clear when communicating as well as providing resources when needed.
IPFW is a really good place to work, I have learn so much from being a part of team.
Student Records and Transcripts (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 2, 2014
We have some crunch times every semester that can be make it hard but my co-workers are a great team to work with. When we work together as a team, we are able to accomplish our goal to help the students accomplish their goal of receiving their education. Also, faculty is able to provide their grades so transcript are updated in a timely manner. The management is great too, I am confident that they will look out for their workers and help to make things go smooth. All of this makes it enjoyable to work together in the office. I have learned so much from working at this university from working as a team, helping students accomplish their goals, balancing my work life, learning different cultures and dealing with so many personalities.
Pros
free tee shirts and discounts at different places
Cons
the pay could be higher, have not had a raise in 4 years
It was a job I needed at the time.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fee Lane, Bloomington, Indiana 47401January 19, 2015
Indiana University was not a bad place to work. I had not been there long enough to be considered for healthcare. The pay increases were not enough for me to help provide the needs for my family.

A typical day at work was cashiering students in a timely manner and keeping the dining area clean.

I learned the management through the college was followed by others that told them how things should be managed and ran. Managers ought to help out when needed and this is what ours did.

My co-workers were great to work with. We all enjoyed each others company and would help each other out when needed.

There really wasn't a hard part of the job. I already had experience with customers and cashiering.

The most enjoyable part of my job when students stayed in touch with me after they had graduated, and they still are.
Pros
free lunch to a certain limit.
Cons
there was no healthcare
Fun, learning environment where peers worked together to simplify otherwise difficult subjects.
Peer Tutor for Python (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 25, 2013
Typically, I would wait for someone to ask me for help if they were having issues with a particularly difficult problem or I would ask around if anyone needed help. If they did, I would work with them to help them come to a correct solution without giving it away. The challenge was to have them use what they already knew to arrive at a solution without too much help coming from you.
My supervisor was really kind and helpful, and the other peer tutors would help and advise me when necessary.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when a student would recall something you had taught them in prior sessions and use that to come up with a solution on the current problem.
Pros
free soda pop and snack.
Working at Indiana University
Supplier Diversity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 30, 2014
Indiana University was the best job I ever had because of the challenges I encountered that made be a better person. I loved the educational environment and the flexibility of your work schedule. My supervisor was such a team player and a leader. The hardest part of my job was overseeing the implementation of a online electronic Tier Two Reporting System. This system was designed by IU technology staff and I had to make sure they understood all the functions we needed to make this system a success. The most enjoyable part of my job is when we completed a report that showed our minority, women and veteran utilization was above goal level and when our system went liv.
Pros
discount education cost; advancement
Exciting and fun place to work, great co-workers
Student Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 14, 2013
Helping prospective students stay informed and give them an insight on what we offer here at IPFW. I learned how to work with others, lead a group of people on the right path, to be a leader, time management and overall how to be an inspiring role model. Management is ran pretty organized, there is usually never a misleading view on whats expected. My co-workers are awesome! We all work so well together, thanks to our management team and coordinators. Hardest part of my job would have to be hearing a student choose a different school. Enjoyable part is giving tours and being a reason why a person decided to come to IPFW.
Excellent.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 10, 2015
I rigged, hung, installed and wired lighting and other electrical devices for use in stage performances, following specifications given by the stage and production managers. My job required endurance, heavy lifting, and often times working at heights in excess of eighty feet from the floor. Using specifications and directions provided by the managers, I ensured the lighting setups were of the correct size and make, as well as the correct color to create appropriate aesthetics. This job sometimes required odd hours, starting late at night and ending early in the morning, so as to transition from one show’s specific setup to another in a timely manner.
easy workplace with a great staff and co-workers
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IndianaJanuary 12, 2015
I usually start by cleaning restrooms and taking out the garbage, then vacuuming rooms and hallways. I learned many ways to clean and detail rooms, and learned how to make my tasks less strenuous. The management was very fair, straight, and very helpful. The co-workers were great, they taught me a lot about the job, and were very kind and helpful. The hardest part was getting the dormatory ready for new residents, but the most enjoyable part was interacting with the faculty and students there, and making the students feel at home with making sure the facility was prepped for the residents to move into.
A very enjoyable place to work
Administrative Assistant/Graduate Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 22, 2015
A typical day at work consists of scheduling committee meetings along with being responsible for the department chair's calendar, coordinating the graduate application process, planning large and small scale events on and off campus, completing various reports, processing credit card statements, processing employee and non employee travel, taking meeting minutes, recruitment of new faculty, coordinating campus visits for international visitors and delegations and completing any other needs in the department.
Pros
Flexible schedule, healthcare
Cons
Slow paced environment
Thought provoking and beautiful environment coupled with some of the best minds in their fields
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  School of EducationNovember 7, 2012
My typical day involved coaching students on academic probation in college success skills. I learned how communicate information in various ways, and how to encourage students to try new techniques of things they had been for years.

Management and coworkers were very friendly and encouraging.

The hardest part of my job was enforcing policy on students I knew could succeed. While the most enjoyable was seeing students succeed and continue that success through graduation.
Pros
beautiful and engaging environment
Great company, however many people in leadership should not be
Registrar (Former Employee) –  IU HealthJune 4, 2013
I enjoyed working for IU as a whole, however there are current managers particularly in Patient Access that spoil it for the company. Managers that look down on their employees, who try to hold their employees back, and have no interaction with their staff should not be in the positions their in. I believe management is more than dictating and earning money, it's not just about serving the people or the patient population but it's about serving your people as well and unfortunately a few of the manager's in Patient Access hasn't figured that out.
High quality work, and great professional environment
Archivist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 13, 2012
I was given high individual responsibility. Most of my day consisted of cleaning, and properly transferring LP's, and CD's. I had to work with 3 different software services, which were all very user friendly. The meta data was very detail oriented, so each project took a large amount of concentration and could be challenging towards the end of the day. Overall it was a great experience. I had the chance to work with highly advanced colleagues for the better purpose of preserving music.
Pros
great people, flexible work time
Cons
not enough hours
Indiana University is really nice University where you can study, work and hang out with people all in once. It has an amazing campus.
Lecturer for Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 8, 2014
For me as an instructor for a language it was very interesting and relaxed. People here are very friendly and helpful, city is small so you can walk anywhere, students are very nice and polite.
I loved working here at my Department. It is nice to be surrounded by people who are focused on their academic career. It makes you think about your future goals. I really loved it.

4.3