Indiana University

Indiana University Employer Reviews

It was a job I needed at the time.
Cashier (Former Employee), Fee Lane, Bloomington, Indiana 47401January 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch to a certain limit.
Cons: there was no healthcare
Indiana University was not a bad place to work. I had not been there long enough to be considered for healthcare. The pay increases were not enough for me to help provide the needs for my family.

A typical day at work was cashiering students in a timely manner and keeping the dining area clean.

I learned the management through the college was followed by others that told them how things should be managed and ran. Managers ought to help out when needed and this is what ours did.

My co-workers were great to work with. We all enjoyed each others company and would help each other out when needed.

There really wasn't a hard part of the job. I already had experience with customers and cashiering.

The most enjoyable part of my job when students stayed in touch with me after they had graduated, and they still are.
A good college job that offered time for study and other tasks
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJanuary 19, 2015
I was the main correspondence between the students and their residential facilities and staff. My responsibilities included mostly mail room duties as well as answering any questions that the students and any guests or visitors had. The staff were all very amicable and they welcomed anyone who chose to work with them.
Work-Study work experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: flexibility
This university was a good place to work when in college. Typical work day varies. I learned a lot of things needed when entering into the workforce. Management was very supportive of the employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility.
easy workplace with a great staff and co-workers
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee), Bloomington, IndianaJanuary 12, 2015
I usually start by cleaning restrooms and taking out the garbage, then vacuuming rooms and hallways. I learned many ways to clean and detail rooms, and learned how to make my tasks less strenuous. The management was very fair, straight, and very helpful. The co-workers were great, they taught me a lot about the job, and were very kind and helpful. The hardest part was getting the dormatory ready for new residents, but the most enjoyable part was interacting with the faculty and students there, and making the students feel at home with making sure the facility was prepped for the residents to move into.
Productive and fun
Associate Instructor for Intro to Programming (Current Employee), BloomingtonJanuary 10, 2015
Good job. Pay is also nothing to complain.
Helpful for learning new language.
My Co-workers
Videographer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoyed working with my peers and developing good working relationships with them.
Good school for biology
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Bloomington, INJanuary 7, 2015
The biology department is great, full of good faculty and energetic students.
Productive something different everyday, fun place to work
Library Assistant part-time (Current Employee), Gary, INDecember 31, 2014
Pros: breaks
Cons: no benefits, no vacation pay
Provide excellent customer service, responsible for answering and transferring phone calls to proper departments, counting , maintaining an accurate petty cash bank, imputing personal information into the customer etc...
Associate Instructor (Former Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 26, 2014
Good Organization with flexible employee benefits. Good Place overall
Productive, insightful, rewarding
Language Instructor (Former Employee), IndianaDecember 25, 2014
A great team and a very rewarding. It was a month long and it was a great teaching experience.
Education environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), BloomingtonDecember 8, 2014
As a graduate student, there were opportunities to learn from faculty and to create my own space within the field. Bloomington is an incubator for ideas and study of education. Work life balance was difficult as the town revolves around the university - hard to escape.
Indiana University is really nice University where you can study, work and hang out with people all in once. It has an amazing campus.
Lecturer for Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language (Current Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 8, 2014
For me as an instructor for a language it was very interesting and relaxed. People here are very friendly and helpful, city is small so you can walk anywhere, students are very nice and polite.
I loved working here at my Department. It is nice to be surrounded by people who are focused on their academic career. It makes you think about your future goals. I really loved it.
Exciting work environment
Ticket Office - Sales Associate/Intern (Former Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 4, 2014
Productive employees who try to keep an exciting atmosphere, managers all very kind and knowledgeable. I learned how to supervise groups of part-time workers while also supporting upper-level management.
Great evironment
Student Mentor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 20, 2014
Overall great place to work but there was new management every few months. I acquired an ample amount of leadership skills while employed there. The staff was always energetic and fun to work with.
Great place to work, self-paced
Research Assistant/ Animal Husbandry (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INNovember 6, 2014
Pros: great work environment and morale
Cons: low pay
I worked as both a lab/research assistant and student instructor/tutor. In each capacity, I managed myself and was able to focus on the work itself. Compensation was barely above minimum wage, but as an undergraduate, I didn't expect more. I liked the people I worked with and we had results.
Interesting work with great enviroment.
Lab Tech Assistant (Former Employee), Bloomington, INNovember 5, 2014
Pros: able to enter and leave work place at desired and flexible times.
Handling and caring for genetically altered drosophilia stocks. By switching them from one vial to another to insure health and reproduction.
Enjoyed working for IU School of Medicine
Registered Nurse/ Clinic Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee), Indianapolis INNovember 3, 2014
The benefits were great!!! I miss working for them. I felt a sense of accomplishment with my job.
Working at Indiana University
Supplier Diversity Coordinator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 30, 2014
Pros: discount education cost; advancement
Indiana University was the best job I ever had because of the challenges I encountered that made be a better person. I loved the educational environment and the flexibility of your work schedule. My supervisor was such a team player and a leader. The hardest part of my job was overseeing the implementation of a online electronic Tier Two Reporting System. This system was designed by IU technology staff and I had to make sure they understood all the functions we needed to make this system a success. The most enjoyable part of my job is when we completed a report that showed our minority, women and veteran utilization was above goal level and when our system went liv.
Professional
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 29, 2014
The internship prepared me well for the workforce. I worked with many individuals that are well-respected within different aspects of the nutrition field. I feel that I finished this internship strong, well-rounded, and capable. I believe my transition into the workforce will be smooth because of my experience in IUPUI.
Fun place to study and work at
Research Assistant (NGS Data Analysis Service) (Current Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaOctober 17, 2014
I really loved the three biology courses (molecular genomics, biochem, cell biology) provided by the IBMG program at School of Medicine. They are very intense and informative. However, the courses provided by School of Informatics were not so helpful. In many cases instructors just let students make presentations instead of giving lectures themselves. Probably that's because School of Informatics was founded not long ago.

The working intensity and enjoyability of research assistant really depends on the department and the lab. So be sure to ask current members before entering a lab. If you hear something like "hmm, the professor is strict on students", then it is possibly a hint for a mean professor. Remember that the relationship between a professor and a graduate student is like master and apprentice, which is very different from modern employment relationships. So a good professor can help you a lot, meanwhile, a bad professor can hurt you a lot.

1 2 3 4 5