Indiana University Employee Reviews

Great benefits, low salary and little room for advancement
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 8, 2017
IU offers great benefits, including good health insurance (HSA contribution, monetary incentivized yearly HealthyIU blood screening), and modest employer-sponsored 401K (only vested though after 3 full years of employment). Furthermore, work-life balance is also very good; IU is very accepting, open and comfortable community. However, the salary is fairly low, and the raises are abysmal: my first year at IU there was a 1% raise, and my second year only a 0.8% raise. There is little room for advancement, much of it is obstructed by bureaucracy and rigid hierarchies within management.

I am fortunate that in my daily work I have an independent project in addition to lab managerial duties. This is unfortunately not common. Other associates in the department are responsible only for flipping fly stocks, washing dishes, or very simple cloning projects.
Amazing office with terrific people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 7, 2016
Great office to work. Great people to work with. As an intern, I was unpaid but I enjoyed the time I spent with them. I worked on some small digital sign projects and helped relieve the workload of the other designers in the office. Also helped manually fix small "passports" [the school's version of a checklist throughout a student's undergraduate career].
Pros
Awesome design projects to work, great people to work with, outstanding management
Cons
N/A
Challenging and rewarding
Veteran Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 9, 2017
Complex work with Veterans benefits, working with federal regulations and school policies can be stressful. part of the job was dealing with the constant changes to the laws and polices from both. Heavy work load for number of employees in office. Had good support from supervisors and lots of training opportunities.
Indiana University has great health benefits. Supervisors were good to work with on use of time off, vacation and sick leave. Annual salary increases were given, but not consistent with cost of living.
Enjoyed working with students and seeing them succeed. IU campus is beautiful and a joy to be on.
Pros
Good benefits, good work environment, lots of training oppourtunities. Enjoyed the student
Cons
Heavy work load, bureaucracy
Great Position
Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 3, 2017
Indiana University is a wonderful place to work - great environment and challenging work. The culture of a large University can sometimes be difficult to navigate, but it's all about making the right connections.
Productive work
Private Tutor for Discrete Math of Informatics (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 1, 2016
I increased communication and leadership skills by teaching students about discrete math of informatics. The class is difficult to some students, but I created practice problems that further advanced their knowledge of the class and prepared them for exams. Self-management and critical thinking skills were also increased during my time as a private tutor. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the increase in progress of the students.
Pros
Both a teaching and learning experience.
Cons
N/A
Good place to gain work experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2017
It was one of the best organization to work with.In the early phase of the career, a lot can be learned.The best possible way to thrive in the career is to learn new technologies which cognizant gives its employees ample ways to learn.
Great environment
Graduate Assistant in School of Public Health (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, IN 47404January 15, 2017
A lot of good things can be learnt while working here, even if you are a student. Work life balance is balance is amazing and motivating.
Did not feel like a job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 5, 2017
Being a teacher's assistant, I attended the class everyday and paid attention to lectures. After the lecture was over I would present an in class activity and the students would work in groups to finish the activity. I walked around the classroom to answer questions and or concerns about the lecture of activity. I was also available for the students via email any night of the week. The best part about this job was that I was a current student and being a teacher's assistant I was on the same campus doing normal student duties but just did not have to take the exams or quizzes.
Secure Jobs and Friendly Culture
Fiscal & Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 27, 2016
A University is a great place to work if you want a secure career and less chance of layoff. Depending on which department you land in, you could work with wonderful people or not so wonderful. But that's the same for any work situation. Because it's a State entity, it is dependent upon government funding, so pay is not as high. But they do take care of their employees with an unbeatable benefits package.
Pros
Benefits Package, Collaborative Culture, Intelligent Atmosphere
Cons
Low Wages
Lecture hall with approximately 100 students
Undergraduate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 26, 2017
In a typical day I would help students learn an introductory coding language. While helping students learn, I was also able to perfect my own skill with the coding language. the hardest part of my job was trying to get the students more involved in learning and the most enjoyable part was when they fully bought in to understanding the material.
Pros
Gained valuable communication skills
Cons
Students were not always engaged in learning material
Great organization to work for!
Director Emergency Management & Continuity (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 6, 2017
Our department was responsible for emergency planning and coordination for the Bloomington campus. This entailed pulling together representatives from local, state and federal agencies and doing it under the atmosphere required by an institution of higher education. This was both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Exciting campus atmosphere, great colleagues
Cons
Small department, lots of work
President' Challenge on Physical Fitness (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 29, 2016
Our motto in the office was: Dedication, Perserverence, and Determination.
Wonderful people to work with on a local level
Always tried to make the work environment enjoyable
Hired IU students and helped them learn to work together
Our unit was like family, very supportive,
Pros
Family atmosphere, making a difference
Cons
based on grant money
Okay to be place
Web Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 23, 2016
Team is really small, I am just doing 10 hours a week over there so cannot speak much. They allow to work remotely, not a lot of scope to grow at. The place and office is quite small. Suitable place for undergrads and graduates looking forward to earn a few bucks while studying.
Pros
N/A
Cons
small place
Stable employer with good benefits
Building Services General Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 19, 2016
There isn't must to say about a business that doesn't "make" anything, yet it receives money none the less.
There is good and bad in it.

IU is a stable employer; yet, it is locked down by it's own policies that it may or may not follow depending on the "needs of the business".
Administration disengaged from staff
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 15, 2016
Increasing number of mid-level administrators and assistant vice presidents completely disengaged from staff carrying out the day-to-day functions required to maintain operations.
Leading educational institution with diverse job opportunities
Disability Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INFebruary 18, 2016
Indiana University provides excellent benefits, and lots of resources for employees. Good support for work/life balance and employee health. However, at times the size of the institution makes it a challenging work environment.
Pros
Wellness programs
Cons
Bureaucracy
Ipfw
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 5, 2016
This was a great place to work and live
Great benefits
Reasonable living arrangements
A lot to do in the area
Welcoming work environment
IPFW is a really good place to work, I have learn so much from being a part of team.
Student Records and Transcripts (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 2, 2014
We have some crunch times every semester that can be make it hard but my co-workers are a great team to work with. When we work together as a team, we are able to accomplish our goal to help the students accomplish their goal of receiving their education. Also, faculty is able to provide their grades so transcript are updated in a timely manner. The management is great too, I am confident that they will look out for their workers and help to make things go smooth. All of this makes it enjoyable to work together in the office. I have learned so much from working at this university from working as a team, helping students accomplish their goals, balancing my work life, learning different cultures and dealing with so many personalities.
Pros
free tee shirts and discounts at different places
Cons
the pay could be higher, have not had a raise in 4 years
System Development internship in Indiana University Kokomo
SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 16, 2016
As a developer, I worked with a programming team that had excellent management as well as excellent team members. The team was enjoyable to work with; and the clients were very knowledgeable of the system that they were asking from us for development.
Learning atmosphere
Associate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 3, 2016
Everyday I get to learn something new while at my job. It is fun teaching and mentoring the under graduate students. A typical day at work is helping students solve the exercises and guide them in the right direction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indiana University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3