Indiana University Employee Reviews

Good work life balance
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 7, 2017
As a graduate student at IU, I got good opportunities and facilities for research and also got to enjoy life a lot in Bloomington. The part which is not very good is limited working opportunities around Bloomington area.
Good for a 'job'
Data Analyst/ Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 5, 2017
I do not have much to say. It has its plus and minuses. Indeed forcing me to write a review is not a good idea either- haha. Campus is beautiful and the town is nice.
Intense
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 30, 2017
If you're young and want to be in the thick of it, it's a great place to work. If you're just biding your time to retire, not so much. Great benefits, generous PTO.
Pros
Benefits, Pto
Cons
Great place to work if you get into the right department.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 25, 2017
Sometimes there was not enough info from management to do the job properly. It could be a little chaotic at times but I think that each department works differently and there are a LOT of departments.
More work than time
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 24, 2017
I've found that most of the time the workload far exceeds the time allotted and comp time is frowned upon.Management cares little for staff and expections are far higher than reality.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
Not much advancement opportunities
Appreciate Learning
Visual Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 23, 2017
All of my supervisors encouraged my learning. I believe I grew rapidly and effectively while at Indiana University. They also encourage women in technology.
decent workplace
Administrative & Account Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 22, 2017
decent company to work for, pay not ideal . Great benefits regarding medical, retirement, and 401k. well known public university for business and music schol
Supportive Community and Great Management
Paid Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 15, 2017
I was an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in the Psychology department. I was only eligible to work 8 hours a week but the pay rate was high compared to minimum wage. Often, students wouldn't come to office hours so my time was spent grading and doing other management tasks instead of one-on-one instruction. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the grading near the end of the semester with my assignments also becoming heavier but Irene, head of the program, was supportive and a great advocate. I highly recommend the experience.
Pros
Good pay for hours worked.
Cons
Hours worked cap.
Conductive place for research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 4, 2017
I am a graduate student and have been a research assistant for over 6 months now. Working here is fun since a lot is focused on results and research and staying on top of technology as much as possible. More focus can be given to development of soft skills.
I love teaching - I got to teach!
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 2, 2017
Administratively stress free for a part time trainer - great leader, ability to influence curriculum and create my own classes. Opportunity to explore new ideas and "try them out" - loved it.

Want to know more about Indiana University?

Ask a question
easy and fun place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 27, 2017
If I hadn't a need to move, I wouldn't have left there. Management is good. Work conditions are good and it had good work/life balance. IU treats their employees well and offers very nice benefits
Pros
great benefits and management
Cons
night shift work but hey, that's doable
Great place to work at
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Punxsutawney, PAJuly 27, 2017
The schools a great place to work at despite me noting getting any benefits maybe because i was a student. Every job has its ups and down but overall its a good place.
Fun place to work
Construction Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 19, 2017
I had the opportunity to work on many different types of construction projects which made the days interesting. Overall, great work environment, great co-workers.
Always Something new
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2017
Management was very off but great people
always learning new things and very understanding atmosphere
management was my biggest issue! all over the place and not a team player
I learned a lot about higher education administration.
Fiscal Officer (Former Employee) –  Gender StudiesJuly 7, 2017
Was able to work while taking on classes and finishing my degree due to the tuition benefit program.
Overall it was a good experience and I learned quite a bit.
Benefits
Cons
High pressure to perform over and above normal expectations
Great place!
Department Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 4, 2017
Indiana University is awesome place to work for.

But, keep in mind that...Bloomington doesn't have much things to enjoy. Small town in the middle of nowhere.
Relaxed place to improve yourself
UITS Support Center Computer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 1, 2017
A good place to hone one's skills without the intense pressures of a more corporate environment. The Support Center is an excellent place to start building a career.
Good education
Associate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 29, 2017
I learned a lot during my time at Indiana University; the professors are very knowledgeable and will work with you individually. My professor and the department were also very helpful and understanding when I had to address medical issues and take a leave of absence.
Amazing Experience
Volunteer Opportunities (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 28, 2017
My time working for the homeless ministry in Bloomington, Indiana was incredible. Even though the work was only volunteer, I really felt like I was able to connect with people in need and make a difference in their life.
Big Red
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 9, 2017
IU is one of the largest employers in the state of Indiana. The culture is still predominately White and can be uncomfortable for minorities except for a few "safe spaces" like the multicultural center. Overall this is a marvelous institution but the racial climate still has a long way to go.