Indiana University

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Research centerJanuary 18, 2014
Wonderful, supportive and motivating working environment
Associate Instructor
Associate Instructor (Current Employee), Bloomington, INJanuary 11, 2014
Taught an undergraduate calculus course to more than forty students. Assisted in graduate-level math courses,including leading sections and tutoring students individually
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 22, 2013
Pros: the benefits are great!
Cons: sometimes where you work and where you park is a long distance. wear gym shoes!
I worked here for 8 years. This was the best job I had in my working life.
Great University, Good Program
Executive Producer, Producer, Director (Former Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 1, 2013
Staff at university very knowledgeable and helpful. Class sizes very large, but it is a large university. Equipment is good and quality work is being produced by students. More help with job placement in senior year could increase hiring rate for students.
Spanish and Portuguese AI
Assistant Instructor of Spanish (Current Employee), Bloomington, INNovember 25, 2013
Pros: great experience
Cons: no office
This was such a great job! They really prepare you well for basically any situation, while also being a graduate student! The expectations are high, and especially with taking graduate classes this often leads to a really poor work/life balance, but most assistant instructors also experience this.
Great Starting Point
Administrative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2013
Pros: great benefits, good job security, friendly people
I came to IU after working in the private sector. The pace and culture is very different in the academic world. It's not nearly as dynamic and innovation driven. The people however are very friendly and the benefits are excellent. Excellent place for people looking for workplace flexibility over skill development.
It is an ok place to work.
Office Services Assistant Senior, (Current Employee), Bloomington, INNovember 6, 2013
Pros: the benefits are great.
Cons: management
There is alot to learn, and not much training.Management is weak.
An enlightening experience
Peer Tutor (Current Employee), Bloomington, IndianaOctober 2, 2013
Students typically come it either at the beginning of the tutoring session, Or not at all. It definitely helped reinforce my knowledge of discreet logic in computer science.
Fun, learning environment where peers worked together to simplify otherwise difficult subjects.
Peer Tutor for Python (Former Employee), Bloomington, INSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: free soda pop and snack.
Typically, I would wait for someone to ask me for help if they were having issues with a particularly difficult problem or I would ask around if anyone needed help. If they did, I would work with them to help them come to a correct solution without giving it away. The challenge was to have them use what they already knew to arrive at a solution without – more... too much help coming from you.
My supervisor was really kind and helpful, and the other peer tutors would help and advise me when necessary.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when a student would recall something you had taught them in prior sessions and use that to come up with a solution on the current problem. – less
A good school for people who want to do research
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 25, 2013
Indiana University-Bloomington is a good place for people who want to do research. The town itself is a pretty laid-back mid-western town yet with plenty of entertainments. The school has world-class research facilities and supports.
UITS Review
Computer Consultant (Former Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 19, 2013
Pros: close to home, flexible, at the library and allowed homework
Cons: worked evenings, low pay.
This was my first IT job and it was through IU, where I went to college. It was good experience and good income for being in school.
Wonderful place and department to work for.
Associate Instructor of Voice (Former Employee), Bloomington, IndianaAugust 14, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Indiana University. The secondary voice department was a wonderful place to work - organized and efficient. I enjoyed teaching my students and found it very rewarding.
Productive, Efficient
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 12, 2013
The management did an excellent job communicating with the staff. There is a terrific training program in place. The schedule was 9-5:30 with lunch break of 30 minutes. Day started with deposits, then after lunch we did accounts receivables. The job was simple enough. My boss was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great place for graduate school.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 11, 2013
Friendly environment. Great adviser-apprentice relationship.
Freedom to pursue and great people around to work with.
NA
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 5, 2013
Was a student athletic trainer, fun place to work, enjoyed the staff
This was a fast paced 24 by 7 x 365 operation
Manager Call Center & Senior Telecom Consultants (Former Employee), Bloomington, InJuly 11, 2013
Pros: it was a very service oriented business with changing customers based on campus events
Cons: not being able to assist customers that needed assistance from another area
Prior to the advent cellular telephone service the IU Bloomington Call Center was a very busy place. Calls not only came in for campus phone numbers, locations and information but also for how to cook green beans or to ask if it was okay to eat a potato if the potato was sprouting. During the summer, there would be calls from the homesick campers just – more... needing a few minutes to talk to someone. We were also responsible for many of the after hours call out lists for various services.
I learned a lot about the campus and how other departments interact. We worked with other departments such as Residential Services and held in-service training sessions on the workings of the call center and how we interact with the other departments. The hardest part of the job was scheduling for a 24 by 7 by 365 operation in order to have the necessary coverage, but adjust it based on the events on campus.
The most enjoyable part of the job was observing the staff provide service to the customers. – less
Great work place
Office Assistant/Weight Room Assistant (Former Employee), Gary, INJuly 1, 2013
When I work as a weight room assistant I really enjoy interacting while the clines. Each person would have a goal and my most enjoyable part of this job was help them reach that goal.
Challenging position, fun to teach
Associate Instructor (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJune 27, 2013
Fun and challenging to teach laboratories at the college level while balancing graduate work and research.
Teaching provides you with the confidence to stand in front of many people and you must understand the material very well to explain subjects in multiple ways so students understand.
Great company, however many people in leadership should not be
Registrar (Former Employee), IU HealthJune 4, 2013
I enjoyed working for IU as a whole, however there are current managers particularly in Patient Access that spoil it for the company. Managers that look down on their employees, who try to hold their employees back, and have no interaction with their staff should not be in the positions their in. I believe management is more than dictating and earning – more... money, it's not just about serving the people or the patient population but it's about serving your people as well and unfortunately a few of the manager's in Patient Access hasn't figured that out. – less
College
Maintenance Crew Member (Former Employee), Gary, INMay 31, 2013
Pros: job experiences
Working for IUN was a good job because it had surrounded me by a the small luxury lifestyle of college.