Indiana University

Indiana University Employer Reviews

I am glad to be a part of such a great department
Grant Compliance Monitor/Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Bloomington, INMarch 25, 2013
There are really great programs offered and I enjoy being a part of the development of them.
Flexible and Understanding
Desk Assistant - McNutt Residence Center (Former Employee), Bloomington, INFebruary 24, 2013
Working on a college campus is extremely different from "real world" scenarios but it was a wonderful experience nonetheless. When you work around people who are closer to you in age, it makes the environment more laid back and comforting. Working for IU is a lasting experience. You meet new people, learn how to deal with difficult ones, and make yourself – more... a better person in the process. – less
Great work environment
Founder and Director (Former Employee), Bloomington, INFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: self rewarding experiences
Cons: compensation extremely low/ compared to corporate
I thoroughly enjoyed supporting and improving student life at Indiana University, Bloomington.

The hardest but most rewarding function of the job is to know that the students are their for a season and "good-bye's" are certain.
good university but not in the top twenty
Professor (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: good working conditions, benefits
Cons: average leadership at the top
I enjoyed teaching and conducting research at Indiana University for over thirty years. People are generally supported in both of those activities. Now I am retired but still interested in teaching and research.
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: weekends off
Working for Indiana University was very productive. My previous co-workers were very friendly and motivating. The most enjoyable part of the job was being off on weekends.
Productive environment
Application Processor Specialist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2012
I love working here, it has a wonderful environment and people are really nice.
Great place to meet new people
Food Service (Former Employee), Bloomington, INDecember 4, 2012
I would serve people food and drinks in a small kiosk in the library. My co-workers were a lot of fun and kept the shifts interesting.
Thought provoking and beautiful environment coupled with some of the best minds in their fields
Associate Instructor (Former Employee), School of EducationNovember 7, 2012
Pros: beautiful and engaging environment
My typical day involved coaching students on academic probation in college success skills. I learned how communicate information in various ways, and how to encourage students to try new techniques of things they had been for years.

Management and coworkers were very friendly and encouraging.

The hardest part of my job was enforcing policy on students – more... I knew could succeed. While the most enjoyable was seeing students succeed and continue that success through graduation. – less
The thing I liked most about working at IU was that there really wasn't "a typical day".
Financial and Administrative Services (Former Employee), Bloomington, INNovember 4, 2012
Pros: great people, wonderful opportunity
I learned there is always more than one right answer, there is a time for deep analysis and a time when one must just be brave enough to make a plan and lead the charge (even if you aren't 100% sure), that clear communication is vital and that sometimes you win--even if you aren't the best, by just working harder than the other guy. And sometimes you – more... lose for reasons you might never know. The key is to keep trying.

I loved working for IU. There were times more difficult than others but they hired me as a secretary when I was a single 20 year old mother with nothing but a high school diploma and a desire to give my son a better life. They believed in me, promoted me, encouraged me, and allowed me to turn myself into a successful professional with 2 degrees + graduate hours and the opportunity to work on projects I'm sure I never would have been exposed to in the private sector.

It is a very political environment (but where isn't these days) yet I made friends for life and had the opportunity to meet/work with many individuals that have had a great influence on our lives and times. Thank you, IU, for helping me become who I am today. – less
Good organization
Graduate Student Organization Representative (Current Employee), Bloomington, INOctober 28, 2012
As a representative of the student body, this position was unpaid.
Temporary opportunity
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee), Marion, INOctober 24, 2012
Worked in Marion, IN. This was very short-term, Traveling from Kokomo to Marion in the evening presented a challenge.
A world class public university.
Groups Student Program Alumni (Former Employee), Bloomington, IndianaSeptember 26, 2012
I was lucky to attend and graduate from a Big Ten school. My experiences at IU have shaped my adult life. It is a time in my life that I cherish.
Awesome
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Gary, INSeptember 15, 2012
It was great working there! Fun and always learning something new everday.
Cashier job
Cashier (Former Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 17, 2012
Pros: discounted lunches
Cons: rude management at times
The dinner rush was crazy, but the people were nice and the job was decent.
High quality work, and great professional environment
Archivist (Former Employee), Bloomington, INAugust 13, 2012
Pros: great people, flexible work time
Cons: not enough hours
I was given high individual responsibility. Most of my day consisted of cleaning, and properly transferring LP's, and CD's. I had to work with 3 different software services, which were all very user friendly. The meta data was very detail oriented, so each project took a large amount of concentration and could be challenging towards the end of the day. – more... Overall it was a great experience. I had the chance to work with highly advanced colleagues for the better purpose of preserving music. – less
Great Place to Work
Tutor second (Former Employee), South Bend, INAugust 13, 2012
Fun place to work with a great mix of traditional students and non-traditional (older) students.
This is where I learned to drive myself in education.
advisor (Former Employee), Bloomington, In.July 25, 2012
Pros: this job helped me, by helping others.
Cons: i was replace by someone else who had already recieved her master's degree, i still had my undergraduate yet to finish.
A typical day at work was meeting with woment25 years and older and counciling them with future objectives for their won education. I had my own office and started a Government Program at this time. My program landed me on TV, and a couple of trips to wASHINGTON, D.C.I was also awarded a "Woman of the Year" recognition.
Developed friendships that are like family.
Mail Processing Coordinator (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJuly 20, 2012
Friends/co-workers helped me through some difficult times.
Excellent work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 13, 2012
Pros: debit card from paycheck for food on campus.
Cons: no cons
I enjoyed working with students and scholars alike. Very beneficial education allowance as well for employees.
university surly means something
Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Accounting (Former Employee), Bloomington, INJune 15, 2012
Pros: nice environment with the fabulous faculties
Cons: the limited access to job market
This is the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. People in this town has the perfect attitude towards life and work. Students here can choose their own lifestyle. I am proud of being a hoosier.