Indiana Wesleyan University

Indiana Wesleyan University Employer Reviews

Work atmosphere great
Assistant to the Dean of the Chapel (Former Employee), Marion, INSeptember 4, 2014
Flexibility and opportunities to connect with students
Learned the importance of customer service
Enjoyed managing approximately 20 student workers
My co-workers were awesome to work with; we created a good team.
Great place to teach and mentor students
Assistant Professor of Military Science (Current Employee), Marion, INAugust 27, 2014
Pros: flexibility in hours/curriculum
Cons: limited cadre support
- Long fulfilling days that start at 6 am
- I have grown as a teacher in an academic environment
- Management on campus truly cares about students and faculty
- Everyone on campus is always willing to help others, very friendly environment
- Trying to manage a program with little to no support from host program was very challenging
- I truly love teaching – more... coaching, and mentoring future officers and leaders – less
Friendly Environment, On-Campus job that worked with class schedule
Chapel Supervisor (Former Employee), Marion, INJuly 12, 2014
Since this was a student on-campus job position, I am unsure of what the compensation/benefits and job security/advancement was for the permanent Indiana Wesleyan staff that were not students. But overall, Indiana Wesleyan University offers excellent student job positions.
A typical work day involved the set up of chapel scanning equipment before chapel, – more... the scanning in of students into and out of chapel, and the tear down of the equipment. Other responsibilities included making sure no food or drink was taken into the auditorium, no one skipped chapel, making sure the chapel scanners showed up to work, kept students out of undesignated areas, aide visitors in finding seats.

Through this job as Supervisor, I was able to improve upon my leadership and management skills. Due to this position, I learned to be more assertive.

The hardest part of being Supervisor was when students did not respect the students who worked for me. Even though the chapel workers are students, fellow students still needed to respect that the chapel workers are doing their job. I did not appreciate students disrespecting and being rude to my workers, and I would not stand for it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work with people. I love being able to interact with people. Meeting new faces made this job enjoyable. – less
Productive and great place to work
Director of Residential Student Account Services (Current Employee), Marion, INApril 23, 2014
Productive and great place to work. Offer great benefits and flexibility.
Assistant Resident Director (ARD) (Current Employee), Marion, INFebruary 19, 2014
Great place to be involved in a Christ centered community that develops character, scholarship, and leadership in a holistic development.
IWU is a Christ-centered school for busy, working adults wanting to advance their education and improve their marketability.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee), Indiana, Kentucky, & OhioNovember 9, 2013
Pros: eager, diverse students
Cons: low hourly pay and little power
As a former full-time faculty member at a big ten university, it is quite an adjustment being only a part-time adjunct faculty person. IWU has so many adjuncts that it is difficult to get assignments for courses I would like to teach. This is definitely not a dependable job for someone who needs to be able to count on a certain income. The students, – more... however, are mostly wonderful and more diverse than in my previous job. – less
Wonderful coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Marion, INOctober 3, 2013
Data entry, arranging meetings, preparing payments, reconciling credit card, preparing reports, recording meeting minutes for distribution, answering e-mails, typing correspondence and answering phones.
Committed to achieve
Office Manager (Former Employee), Dayton, OHSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: benefits, working on the marion, in campus, wonderful colleagues
Cons: marion, in is a community in decline
I moved across country to work at IWU, specifically for one of the Assistant Provosts. I am so glad I did. the Assistant Provost was a leader who daily dedicated himself to the University, and to the academic leaders he supported. Being part of the Assistant Provost's team brought me tremendous personal and professional satisfaction in a job well done, – more... but also in a job that mattered. I made a difference and that is a rare feeling an employee experiences day after day.

My position was eliminated in the work force reduction at the end of FY2012. I thought I was fortunate that I would have the opportunity to continue being employed with IWU in Dayton, Ohio. The move to Dayton was a success in that I enjoy living in Dayton. What was not positive was my work experience with my immediate supervisor and the AVP. Their leadership style failed to meet standards that positive leaders exhibit daily. They were known for being difficult to work with, and in fact they sometimes seemed to delight in generating stress and provoking colleagues.

I wish I could go back to Marion, IN and support the Assistant Provost. That was a job that brought me a great deal of contentment. I hope that my future career opportunities bring me the same sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that this job gave me. – less
Adjunct Professor (Class Facilitator)
Adjunct Faculty (Class Facilitator) (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INAugust 13, 2013
Pros: it paid very well for the amount of time put into the class.
Cons: it often resulted in long drives late at night depending on where my class was being held.
I taught night classes, often off-campus. Class sizes ranged from 10 to 15 adults. Classes were approximately 4 hours once per week. I lectured, assigned projects, and wrote syllabuses for the class. Since I had obtained my education in the same manner as these adults, I was able to give them the benefit of my experience in class as well as in my job – more... field. I did not have co-workers in the classroom, only other facilitators in other classes. The hardest part of the job was time management due to the many discussions we would have on various subjects we were studying. The most enjoyable part of the job was observing the students grow in their papers and projects knowing that my class was one more step closer to their graduation. – less
fabulous people to work
Work Control Coordinator (Former Employee), Marion, INAugust 13, 2013
Pros: benefits, free tuition for family, wellness program
Cons: work load unequal for some
The typical day in Facilities was unpredictable, but that was good thing it kept the job fresh and exciting. I earned my degree and throughly enjoyed my job. My coworkers were( Are) like family and the hardest part of the job was leaving.
I learned many valuable lessons that have left a lifetime impression on me all leading towards better life, spirituality – more... and devotion to my beliefs. – less
Great Job for a College Student
Science Building Monitor (Current Employee), Marion, INJuly 5, 2013
This job was great as a student in college. My job was to monitor the front door of the science building at my school, and be sure to have everyone check in and out.
Working for Indiana Wesleyan is the best
Desk Worker (Current Employee), Marion, INMay 28, 2013
Indiana Wesleyan is the best place to work because you know everyone you work with and the managers or higher employers are all very nice. The Godly atmosphere is what I enjoy best. No complaints.
College Student
full-time student (Current Employee), Marion, IndianaApril 26, 2013
Pros: christian based
Cons: could not work a part-time job because of the busy schedule between family and school obligations
Full-time College Student for 2 years, Indiana Wesleyan University is a Christian based college that adheres to very strict moral conduct and Christan values. I am very pleased with the education I recieved at Indiana Wesleyan University. As a Student there are no benefits, no job security, no management, However attending college as a traditional student – more... with a family was rewarding. – less
Christian workplace, caring co-workers
Coordinator of Electives (Former Employee), Marion, INFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: great work environment, working with students, and flexibility
Cons: as with most any job these days there was no job security.
My typical day at work involved working with students to schedule classes to complete their degree, or to help them schedule classes needed before being admitted to a degree program. I also created the schedule of electives classes, determined if there were enough students registered for a class in order to let the class go. I worked with various other – more... departments to set up a study abroad program.
At times I would work with students to make sure they received their books and materials for classes. – less
Mentorin
Mentor/Tutor (Current Employee), Marion, INJanuary 14, 2013
Mentored as part of a class and continued to maintain contact with at-risk youth.
Fun office with coworkers who will help you
Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee), IndianaDecember 21, 2012
Pros: holidays off, lots of vacation time
Cons: required to work late sometimes
Very self managed work. You learn a lot about financial aid. They do require ultimate perfection when it comes to awarding money.
Great University
Human Resources And Management / Ms Student (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 30, 2012
Excellent staff and curriculum, highly recommend for anyone who wants to a great education and positive working environment.
Fun and learning environment
Community Coordinator (CC) (Current Employee), Marion, INJuly 27, 2012
Pros: lots of fun
At this place I was given many responsibilities I had no experience with. They hired me because my personality fit the job description. I had fun doing what I loved to do. For training we got to go camping, play games, and complete different situations. My job was to encourage community within the dorm.
The hardest part of the job was to be responsible – more... with my time. I had to keep a 3.0 GPA or higher and I had to help other girls do the same. Many different situations came up within the dorm that I had to deal with. – less
College Job
Parking Ticket Writer (Former Employee), Marion, INJune 4, 2012
I wrote parking tickets for campus police as a way to earn money while in college
Flexible Work Place
Student Manager (Current Employee), Marion, INMarch 6, 2012
Working at the College Store has been the perfect fit for my time at the University. The hours are flexible based on my needs. Finding replacements is easy when emergency assignments arise. Coworkers and boss are wonderful.