Indianapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

administrative assistance
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 16, 2017
there were a variety of responsibilities and the entire experience was very enlightening. i learned a lot about developing relationships with outside agencies and community partners. i would like to work there again.
Pros
developing repors with families and community partners
Cons
budget cuts
School-Based work, Awesome Teacher
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 14, 2017
My duties were to work weekly at an assigned school where I was a Special Education Assistant to the head Teacher of the classroom I worked in. I learned how to engage in many different activities with the students of my classroom. Management was busy a lot. The workplace culture was very tense and stolid. The hardest part of my job was being able to create relationships with other staff members of the school. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the students and being able to build relationships with them and their families.
Pros
Awesome Teacher that I assisted, Great family
Cons
Hostile environment and staff
Love working with students
COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 28, 2017
Opportunities to meet really nice people. The ability to watch families grow and meet goals is awesome. Great working with people who are dedicated to making an impact on the lives of students
Pros
Several days off
Cons
high turnover
Teacher
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 22, 2017
This corporation will give you experience with working with urban children and help you understand how to work with children with mental health issues and behavioral issues.
Great people to work with lacks organization and vision
Middle School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 14, 2017
School system has decreased over the past 4 years. They lack organization that creates a safe and organized environment that promotes learning. The school district has several successful programs and high achievement.
Pros
Great student population
Cons
organization, materials, funding, working conditions
It was a very difficult to work.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 25, 2017
There was not a great deal of support at the school level all the way up through the Department level. It was a very frustrating place to work. The students suffered greatly due to lack of funding and lack of people who were put into positions of power not understanding how to do the job they were assigned to do.
Pros
My fellow teachers at the school I worked with
Cons
There was absolutely no support at the school administrative level, through district administrative level.
This was a volunteer position
Volunteer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 13, 2017
Though this was a volunteer position working as teachers assistant the reward of working with children was great. Though this was not a salary position the benefit of working with children and making a change in their lives compensated for so much.
Pros
Working and teaching children
Cons
Headed in a better direction
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 21, 2016
We are turning things around. We have a lot of dedicated teachers who are passionate about teaching these students. There is just so much expected and it is very easy to experience exhaustion.
Hard working
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2016
I enjoy working with children that come from different backgrounds and ethics. I believe that if you give a child a chance they will take it if you believe in them.
Pros
working with children
Cons
that every child does not receive her when she reaches out to them
draining on every level
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 25, 2016
IPS presents as if they care about students, but the system is constantly in disarray, constantly closing, changing, promising and failing.
Pros
students
Cons
salary, opportunity for advancement, empty promises
Great District to work for
Graduation Coach (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 23, 2016
They pay and benefits were excellent. I school I worked in was state of the art, and I had great access to technology. I felt appreciated as a teacher.
Pros
The Pay
Cons
I did not feel like I would ever be promoted.
Too new
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 4, 2016
Management has been helpful. Benefits are good. I have not worked here long enough to give an adequate review. The Principal and other employees have been helpful.
Is broke and needs fixing
2nd Grade Educator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 10, 2016
This school system is broken, and its sad to say because children, parents and families are still depending on the system to prepare their child, and unfortunately it cannot give what it does not have. But it can be done. We need a "tool" that is not being used in order to fix this broken school system. Its a sad thing to witness.
I learned so much about the special department
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 9, 2016
A typical at work will be very energetic because of the preschoolers. Most of my co workers were friendly and some were not. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the children.
Pros
Day time hours and off on holidays
Cons
The assistant did not get paid when school was out and that hindered a lot of people.
like working with the public
Office Associate -Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 7, 2016
i like working with different people and helping provide students with transportation. I learned to help people best as i can. Do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Pros
i love the hours
Cons
always in fear of losing your job
Fun and exciting day working with youth
PARENT LIAISON (Former Employee) –  Inianapolis, INMay 25, 2016
I enjoy the vacation days which is major holidays and when there is no shool, you donot have to work in most cases. I typical work day tends to be somewhat unpredictable and I liked that! The hardest part of the job is gaining parental participation. The most enjoyable is the versatility and flexibility.
Pros
holidays
Cons
salary during summer months
Great place to work and interact with many individuals
Energy Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 12, 2016
Something new each day
How to deal with people
Various management styles
Various co-workers backgrounds
Hardest part dealing with students
Most enjoyable is dealing with students
Pros
Teaching the enjoyable students
Cons
Hardest is dealing with bad students
fun place
Teacher/Special Education, Social Studies (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2016
If you like to help students, it is a great place to work. You can change lives for the better. Focus on the students. Can be very rewarding.
Pros
never one day like the same
Cons
never one day like the same
Indianapolis Public Schoolsh
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 21, 2016
No two days are ever the same within my job. There is definitely a lot of room for flexibility and patience. However, my immediate team has been working together for many years now, and we work well together, supporting each other, and helping each other out. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students progress, "get something", and have success.
Emerging School District
School Improvement Grant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 24, 2016
This district has many challenges that could be overcome if politics were not such a determining factor. Your job depends on who you know and not your performance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indianapolis Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Indianapolis Public Schools Reviews by Location