Indianapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

Execute daily functions to minute detail including maintaining accuracy of academic records; grades, attendance, transcripts, student files, etc.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 4, 2017
Direct daily operations for the Office of the Registrar and maintain functions that were implemented with my previous position as the Building and Grounds Associate
Approve & issue all official grade reports, transcripts, academic credits, transfer student audits, grade changes, and drop-add notifications
Not the place if you want to advance as a Admin Asst.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 11, 2017
If you want to advance as an Admin As IPS is not the place for you. IPS is more about politics than about the education of the students. Not what it used to be.
Pros
benefits and time off
Cons
the people in charge
during the 18 years I worked there, some years were better than others
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 2, 2017
I loved my job when we had a principal that supported teachers. That was not always the case. I loved my students and found many of them ill prepared, but interested in interesting content. The last few years were particularly difficult because my principal did not appreciate my innovation.
Highly stressful environment with frequent changes in staff and administrators
SPED Inclusion/Self Contained/ Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 31, 2017
Good medical, dental, vision benefits although the rates for them kept
increasing. Stressful environment where classroom/teaching responsibilities kept changing and increasing, sometimes from month to month or even week to week. Administrators often changed with very little notice to staff. Teachers were generally supportive of each other which helped ease the stress.
Pros
Supportive co-workers with sense of humor
Cons
Seemed to lack the structure/consistency that students needed
Fabulous Educational System
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 19, 2017
I was a math and reading tutor on a resource and remediation team. This school system makes it possible for you to stay employed. There is a lot of room for growth.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
a great enviroment
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2017
A great place to work if you enjoy children and people
work together as a team player.

learn how to route drivers and work on IEP for special needs children .

Dealing with school staff sometime could be difficult but normally all things are worked out.
Pros
team work
My Review
Reach Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2017
Nothing to write a review because nothing will change with this school district are lazy supervisor and H.R doing when you file a complaint before and after incident.
Pros
New Leadership from North Carolina
Cons
Older employees set in their ways in school district
Must Love Kids
Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 7, 2017
IPS is a very stressful and fast paced place to work. Classified employees have no opportunities for advancement or pay increases. Work required is always over and above the job duties and description. Moral can be very low, working environment is non equitable. Burn out is a common occurrence.
Pros
does offer benefits
Cons
stress
Productive and serious workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 25, 2017
Can be a rewarding experience under the right leadership. Must be able to work with a myriad of personalities. Great opportunities for furthering your education and skills. Wonderful memories and experiences with the children and people I worked with and wish I had started there early in my career. Wonderful retirement benefits.
Pros
The children!
Cons
Can be very clannish
Tutor and assisted special ed children
Para Educator Special Education (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 23, 2017
enjoyed helping those that could help themselves only left to for mor wages and felt that my work would be more appreciated in the charter school setting

Want to know more about Indianapolis Public Schools?

Ask a question
Students were the best part of the day.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2017
While a school day has a basic structure, no prediction would be appropriate. I learned that anything and everything could and would often happen. Wishfully, everyday would be productive for both students and teachers. However, management allowed a petty atmosphere to live and develop. Political games were priority as opposed to an educational setting.
Pros
All students received free breakfast and lunch, We also participated in Michelle Obama's fruit program.
Cons
Classroom sizes were 35 and up. There were not any classroom assistants.
Lack of direction
Bilingual Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 15, 2017
Superintendent and most principals do not understand the community - They are from out of state. Too many "teachers" without education backgrounds. Little advancement opportunities.
Dedicated Staff
Dean of Students (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2017
Working in an urban district, you never know what your day to day tasks will consist of. One must be flexible and be able to problem solve quickly. To work in IPS you must have a huge heart and be very open minded. The staff at my school is amazing and very dedicated.
Organization is not managed well
Human Resources Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 4, 2017
Management does not care about employees. There is no work life balance. Employees haven't been given a raise in years. However, Co-Workers make coming to work bearable.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
No work life balance
Helpful and fun Learning environment
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 27, 2017
I managed my own Kindergarten classroom with 26 students. I was responsible for teaching my students to read and write. The most enjoyable part about teaching is being able to see your students take what you taught them and use it to benefit and further their education.
productivity
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 12, 2017
I pretty much got my work done, lot duty, snow removal, working with supervisors, attending meeting about the business issues what needed to be done on time
Pros
lot duty
Cons
not enough overtime
Poor atmosphere. Management has no control on student vandalism or violence within school. Not open to suggestions on how to improve atmosphere.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 1, 2017
I currently perform custodial duties such as sweeping,matting, mopping classrooms and hallways. Moving furniture to strip and wax floors. Daily general trash removal and cleaning. In addition, shipping and receiving supplies and other items.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Administration has little control over students, vandalism by students is common, verbal assaults on teachers and staff, physical attacks on students and adults.
great staff
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 27, 2017
Excellent staff and people to work with sometimes the workday can be stressful but staff help you get through the day. Paper work can be challenging.
Pros
staff work with
Cons
stressful enviorment
Great environment
Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 16, 2017
Good kids and a nice school with a laid back environment coaching kids in the fundamentals of football. The hardest part of the job is just turning over a losing program in to a competitor.
Pros
Teaching kids
Cons
The principle is not very personable
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 16, 2017
I find that the students pretty much get away with anything. From standing on top of a desk to dancing in the classroom, they all have cell phones and stay on them. Most are disrespectful, I feel sorry for the students that are thee to learn. No support from the principle or vice principle .
Pros
wide selection of schools to choose from
Cons
very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indianapolis Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Indianapolis Public Schools Reviews by Location