Indianapolis Public Schools Employee Reviews

A great work place within the community
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 9, 2016
Cleaning of the school which includes all grounds and areas. Location was in a great community within the Indianapolis area. My co-workers were great as a team and we all came together to get the job done.
no security
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 16, 2015
There is no security at IPS, you can have a job one day and gone the next. It is a good place if you can stay, they have many wonderful benefits and people. You can move around from school to school or job to job but, your time starts over so if you do that you build no time served on one job
One of the hardest but most rewarding jobs I have ever had
Community School Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 7, 2015
As Community School Coordinator, I learned so much about myself, education challenges, IPS and many other non-profit partners I was able to collaborate with. It was this job that inspired me to continue with my own education in order to promote literacy within the elementary schools.
Pros
The children
Cons
The challenges and hours.
Fun place to work
Driver/Monitor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 23, 2015
I love working with the children, I made sure their ride to and from school or events were safe and they were protected. I worked with good people and management.
Pros
Providing monitor as well as transportation services.
Cons
Being off work when students were out of school for breaks.
Variety, Challenge
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 1, 2015
A good place to work. Idea for a person who has a passion to work with children, who may be looking for part time employment.
Pros
Flexible
different cooking tools
Cashier/foodsevice (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2015
Day at work is working hard to prepare meals for kids .working as a team is the best part of the .day. just to know you are helping someone.The best thing I learn is cooking the meals with different cooking tools.
Pros
very fun place to be
Cons
all the breaks not go cause missing pay
school children
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2015
A typical day involved caring for medically fragile children within a urban school setting. These tasks involved tube feedings, seizure precautions, caring for children with diabetes, passing medications for children diagnosed with ADHD and a wide variety of other medical issues. No two days were the same. Kept me on my toes.
Pros
working with children
Professional people who care about their community
Early Childhood Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 11, 2015
IPS is a caring public service program that cares about the vitality of the community of Indianapolis. IPS provides countless resources that enable families to take care of themselves.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Assistant Teachers do not get paid during school breaks
Very fun and great co-workers
Assistant Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 5, 2015
Indianapolis Public Schools is a good environment and fast paced job. Some days IPS have challenging days such as last minute work assignments and be able to complete those tasks in a small time frame
Office Worker
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 8, 2015
Responsible for maintaining files and records, entering absences, tardies, and medical excuses into the system. Performed basic clerical duties. Answered school phones. Assisted Secretary with projects.
Public Education Support Positions
Media/Library Assistant (10 month position) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 1, 2015
Working to enhance public education can be so fulfilling. However, it can also be quite difficult to work within an institution that does not revere certain positions. Support staff (which numbers far more than teachers) ensures that teaching staff effectively does their jobs. Unfortunately this particular culture is one where non-teachers are not validated or thought to be of importance despite their many contributions. I'm hoping that this changes in time.
Pros
The culture of Indianapolis Public Schools is changing for the better.
Cons
Lacking support of administration is an obstacle to overcome with the newly apppointed leadership
Wonderful school with excellent leadership
Special Education teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2015
A typical work day consisted of arriving early, getting the classroom prepared for the day which was 99% of the time already complete from the night before, greeting my staff and informing them or review anything that they needed to be aware of concerning our students. Go down to the buses and gather my special needs students from the buses and guide them back into our classroom. The day consisted of teaching prepared lesson plans to my students for math: such as telling time, the use of money, adding, subtracting, etc... and Language Arts skills such as reading, listening, computer skills, writing skills, Social Studies, Social Skills, and games or group activities. The day also included special area classes such as Music, Art or PE, lunch, recess, and then we prepared to leave for the day. On special occasions we celebrated birthdays and holidays. What I learned is to be flexible, tolerant, and above all patient! My classroom was well organized, maintained and managed. The hardest part of my job was satisfying my staff and keeping them happy for they had a tough job and did not get paid enough for what they did. Loved my students for they were the joy and reason for coming to work each day and my boss/principal who was so supportive and caring! Overall it was a tough, challenging, yet very satisfying job that I loved!
Pros
Wonderful students! Great benefits, short distance to work, friendly co-workers, and a wonderfully supportive princial.
Cons
The work load was enourmous, lots of hours working after school was out for the day.
overall a great place to work!
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 14, 2015
Productive and great place to work. Kids loved me, because I cared for them and was interested in their well being. A typical day at work was working front office, assisting students, parents, (public). I worked as the School's Regisrar, Principal Secretary, Bookstore Clerk, Deans Office, Transportation, all these duties were within the 18 years at Indianapolis Schools.
Pros
Free parking, Benefits, Dental, Eye Care, Health etc. Vacation
Cons
None right off.
Public School Cafeteria Manager
Food Service Satellite Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 9, 2015
Daily I would file production records, meal eligibility forms, daily meal counts, and dairy records. I was required every other day to submit a milk order, every week a food order, and bi-weekly a dry goods order. I handled payroll reports, labor reports, and request off forms. I was also responsible for the meal service and cleaning of the school cafeteria.
Not a typical school for this past school year
3rd grade Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 2, 2015
The school that I worked for did not fit my philosophy of what I would want in a school. I am very thankful for the position I had because I did learn a lot, but this is not the place for me. We did not have a principal at the start of the school. We ended up getting a principal in December. He has just recently resigned. The assistant principal went on leave from May until the end of the year. The administration was not very consistent. I know they are trying to build the school back up and I believe it could be a great place once they get a stable environment.
Benefits
Cons
The environment
Great Place to Work
Teacher / Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2015
Friendly and safe environmentFollowed standardized teaching plans preparing students to be successful. Subjects taught included:
English, Math, and Science.
Enjoyed teaching high school Chemistry and Physics at the upper and lower levels.
Prepared lesson plans for students with various learning disabilities.
Instructed students to be life-long learners of the values of initiative, respect, and responsibility.
Pros
Super Staff
Cons
Not enough time to teach all the children to be life long learners.
Fun and challenging
special needs paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 15, 2015
Working as a Special Needs Paraprofessional is fun and requires patience and understanding. You have the ability to greatly influence children and teach skills that will greatly help their lives.
Teaching in IPS is both challenging and rewarding
Elementary & Title I Teacher/Instructional Coach (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2015
The most enjoyable part of being a teacher in IPS is working with the students. Having the opportunity to see their eyes brighten when they learn something new is a phenomenal experience.
Pros
intermitant breaks (no students) during school year
Cons
testing, healthcare, and many hours of work beyond the school day
Enjoyed working with the children as a substitute teacher,.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 12, 2015
I would come into the classroom early to prepare for class. I would look over the lesson plans to be prepared for the students upon arrival. I would go over class room rules, and what i expected of the students, and a little about me. I would go from there. I would try to maintain a safe environment for the students to learn in. I had no problems with co-workers, i got along well with others, co-workers, principal, and anyone else i had to interact with. I enjoyed early childhood education, and i had a couple of long term assignments with special ed jstudents as well as special need special ed students.
I would be requested to return to the same schools over and over again.
Pros
Loved teaching .
Cons
No problemsa.
culture is not good
Behavior Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 11, 2015
Typical day is rewarding but as a public school it is very hard to get parent involment in the school. there are a lot of good teachers who are not paid for all that they provide on a daily basis.
Pros
a desk, books
Cons
parent involment