Indianapolis Zoo Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Work Place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 11, 2015
I currently still work at the Indianapolis Zoo but hours are really slow. I love this job. This job has the best management ever! Very well organized. Love working with the people and animals. Never could I get tired of this job.
Indianapolis Zoo
Admissions & Memberships, (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaJuly 23, 2015
At the Indianapolis Zoo I work in different areas depending on where I'm assigned to each day. I work either parking, admissions, memberships, front gate, ride tickets, race the cheetah, or strollers. In each of these setting I receive and distribute change to the customers. I also update their membership information as well as checking to make sure the members are the ones using their cards and not someone else.
Pros
Free admission to the zoo, free parking, very flexible work schedule
Cons
No benefits due to it being considered a "seasonal" job
Productive and fun work enviornment
Cashier/ Guest Services (Current Employee) –  AdmissionsJuly 22, 2015
I always enjoy coming to work each and every day. I am not much of a morning person, but that does not matter much when I get there. For the most part everyone is happy to be there. It is very rare that you actually encounter a grouchy person. Management is fantastic, they are always on top of things and getting us what we need. I have yet to find someone that I work with that is not helpful and just completely nice. The most difficult part of my job is making sure that I have everything that I need before I start my day.
Pros
Efficiant breaks, good Management, amazing organizaion
Cons
No fulltime, frequent call-offs
Fun workplace, outdoor environment
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 21, 2015
Enjoyed working there, just didn't like every weekend and holiday away from family. Managed 24 hour operation with minimal interaction from upper management. Customer service oriented and appreciation is critical. Represented company to outside conferences with no compensation.
Pros
Benefits, Annual Family Pass, Animals
Cons
Hours away from family, pay, trust
Can be a drag
Host (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2015
a typical day at work starts with a team meeting then going to our stations and opening up the rides and making sure the park is clean and ready to be opened. the management is okay not the best but its okay and the hardest part of the day is trying to explain whats going on when a ride breaks down
Pros
free admission
Cons
long drawn out hours
Fun days and good management.
Park Operations (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 13, 2015
Work day varies, great managers, beautiful environment, heavy trash loads on busy days, but overall a great place to work.
Pros
Free admission and rides
Cons
Seasonal work. unless full time employee.
A non-profit that carries through with it's brand mission and conservation messaging
Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 8, 2015
The Indianapolis Zoo's creative services department is like a small design studio, a fully functioning, self-reliant entity that the zoo and it's many interior departments count on for all their print, web and signage needs.

A typical work day in the creative services department consist of an abundance of differing projects that can range from print, web, sign development/installation and production. The department handles many projects at any given time, with only a staff of 4.
indianapolis zoo is a good summer job
rides operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 13, 2014
a typical work day for me is a meeting before you start you daily duties then we get assigned a area we would clean are areas and test run the rides then open up to guest ,ive learned a lot about customer service and how ti confront and talk to guest the managers were awesome they were always their to help my co worker were good people to work with most of them showed great team work the hardest part of the job was just being out in the weather and some customers were hard to deal with the most enjoyable part of my job was just being around people and kids
Pros
fun job
Cons
being out in hot cold wheather
Fun and exciting
Ticket sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 21, 2015
Fun place to work in the employees were great and was very educational, my manger was very polite and easy to work with. My job was excellent, I just had another job in line
fun
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 27, 2015
I love worker at the zoo.My co workers was great. We was a team we help each other. We would pick up each other shifts if something came up.
travis groce
I love animals (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2015
241=6154 I can start working anytime I am very dependable and I have reliable transporation I can do anything that needs to be done and I will be at work every day to shovel elephant dunn if that is what needs to be done
Not too bad of a job
Attractions Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 5, 2013
The summers were hot and the winters were cold. If your job is outside be prepared to work no matter the weather. The coworkers are very nice and fun, the management dont really know what they are doing.
Pros
fun being around the animals, 25 cent raise every season
Cons
management sucks, no matter the weather you are working.
Great place to take your children!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 31, 2013
I love working at the zoo because I learned much about customer service and cashier work. A typical day was going in and setting up the cash register and dependent upon where you worked, you would either sell entrance tickets or tickets to ride the train. I liked the management but we got new management halfway through the work period so the expectations and rules got changed without the employees knowing. I loved everyone that I worked with. I had no problems with any of them. I think that the hardest part of the job was not knowing whether or not you would have to come in to work or not. It was not always guaranteed that you would have to come in to work that day. The most enjoyable part was watching the kids leave with a smile just as big as it was when they came in.
Pros
good pay and wonderful coworkers
Cons
short breaks and no guarantee to work on a day scheduled
Perfect summer job
Admissions Hostess (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 15, 2014
The management staff is excellent. They face many obstacles each day and work through them quickly and efficiently. So very friendly and always remember my name!
Pros
great coworkers!!!!
Cons
short breaks
Amazing experience and wonderful coworkers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaJanuary 12, 2015
Always exciting and usually fast paced
Wide-range of experience with all animals
Fun to work with animals, but, very poor upper management.
General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 13, 2012
Working with skilled tradesmen taught me alot about electricity and carpentry..
Pros
animals, zoo keepers, supervisor
Cons
poor upper management
great
tourism, sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2014
calm and very fun environment very friendly and customers and employees are always great

4.5