infoGROUP Employee Reviews in United States

Great work. Dysfunctional people
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
In a typical day, I'd work on projects independently and then review with a few others periodically. I learned a little about the field of data management. Some of my co-workers were really great, we'd go out to lunch together. Other co-workers were not pleasant.

Managers at Infogroup fell into different "bad boss" groups: either they were angry and vicious, or insecure, or overly controlling and domineering, or just made bad decisions. Some managers literally yelled at subordinates, in front of others or audibly on the phone.

There were also a few office "jerks" who were good at their jobs, but they just didn't get along with other people, for one reason or another. I think it was a product of environment and lax rule enforcement, but mostly individual personality.

Managers and HR did not enforce the rules when some of my co-workers behaved unprofessionally or inappropriately in our office or in office functions. This would be something like wearing inappropriate clothes, making inappropriate jokes or comments about other people, asking inappropriate questions (like which co-worker is sexiest), sending photos or jokes that would be considered NSFW at most other companies, or screaming at subordinates. Sometimes it was managers themselves making the comments or the jokes.

The work I did was great, but it was a difficult environment to be in; I feel like I'm still recovering. There were definitely a few managers that seemed to be really nice to work for and genuinely seemed like nice people. I always looked forward to working with them, but unfortunately I didn't
  more... work for them directly or in the same office with them. There were also plenty of regular employees who were great and enjoyable to work with, and made the office fun.

Also, they underpaid quite a few people, including myself. And, I'm not sure I was ever set up on the retirement plan. (Disclosure: I was not a manager. The dates I provided are inaccurate.)
Pros
engaging projects, in-office parties
Cons
Very dysfunctional office environment
Productive and friendly environment, good management
Tele-Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEAugust 11, 2015
Great benefits with flexable schedules and PTO along with holidays, productive environment with great communication with co-workers and management.
Pros
Vendor Coupons, PTO, Paid Holidays, Flexable schedules
Cons
constant change callers manual
Productive and professional call center
Teleresearch Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 20, 2015
I called small businesses and confirmed their information such as address, email, main person of contact and title, fax number and so on. Every once in a while I would conduct surveys such as finding out what types of businesses did spray tanning or teeth whitening. The surveys were pretty easy, and if you could keep up, the collecting information aspect was easy as well but not as much because their is so many rules to formatting the info. The company brought in food vendors each day and also supplied the employees with food vouchers so they didn't have to pay extravagant prices for a sandwich. That was pretty cool. They also gave 12 hours of PTO for every four weeks of work which was cool too because you could basically take a vacation every three months since they only required 35 hours a week and after 12 weeks you would collect 36 hours, so that was really generous.
Pros
Reduced price lunches, lots of PTO
Cons
Lots of rules about formatting information, made it difficult to get a good QA score
A Good Place To Work
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEJuly 13, 2015
Infogroup is a great place to work. They cultivate a fun but professional atmosphere. It is a very competitive industry but the sales managers and your peers are always there to help out if needed. It can be a stressful place to work at times depending on how you are performing but that is expected in a sales environment.
Pros
Contest Prizes
Cons
CompanyPolitics
Can't recommend this place
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEJuly 7, 2015
The hardest part of the job is management. They are too afraid to let the technical staff (almost all of whom are very good at what they do) actually make changes to things. Executive management has no goals or planning for where IT should be going; the department's only goal seems to be "Don't screw it up." Execs regularly yell at and publicly berate the employees, often times for being unable to fulfill nonsense technical requests, such as eliminating 100% of all spear-phising emails. Other gems include willingly accepting ridiculous risks, such as hosting file servers in the DMZ for legal documents to be kept on.

Mid-level management is too afraid of upper management to push back on bad ideas, which means they listen to complaints from staff but then do nothing about it.

This place pays really well because they have a reputation of being a horrible place to work for. The reputation is well-earned.

Every good idea you have for an improvement will be shot down while at the same time you will be asked to stand up an "emergency" proxy server because every business unit customer gets their own hardware instead of redesigning a better solution.

There are no systems engineers here. Nothing ever gets engineered, they always do what they've always done.

It's 2015 and they've JUST NOW decided to start patching their servers, and that's only because customers have been asking very good questions about how their data is kept safe.
Pros
Great facility. Lunch room caters in real-world restaurants every day.
Cons
Management is absolutely absurd. Business units control how IT operations gets to do things.
Challenging and Interesting Projects
Senior Integration Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 7, 2015
I was involved in the creation of a new mapping application that was to be implemented over several of the company's online products. It was enjoyable and rewarding. I essentially became the company's mapping subject matter expert.
fast paced learning environment
Sr. Systems (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEMay 3, 2015
Lots of chances to learn new technologies. Demanding work load, with not a lot of concern by upper management for what you are doing or your time outside of work.
Cons
health care is not the best, tough work\life balance
Very Solid Company
National Account Executive, (Reference Division) (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 31, 2015
Company has gone through a lot of changes over the past 15 years and not all good. At this point there is not room for advancement just the worry of getting down sized.
Cons
company personal is always shrinking
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 6, 2015
Mornings I would pass homeless people on the city streets and would think "they're probably at least they're going to enjoy their day". They were not lying to anyone or portraying false images of themselves. They would be the most honest people I'd deal with.

Day-dreaming, I often found myself wondering our competition would waste time developing new technologies capable of functioning in a contemporary business climate. Isn't that wasting money that could be moved into an area of their business that would display trending upward growth beautifully on a PP slide?

Then there were the "partners" we were forced to work with. *shudders* Who were these enigmatic beings? Is their product better than ours? For what other purpose would we pay them to handle tasks on our sell sheets? To be sure, I went to our product offerings and read them again. Yep, we do that!
The Yankees wouldn't hire A's to suit up and play their games. Would they?! Certainly the announcer, ticket takers, at least the statisticians would let ticket buyers know. Maybe?

Commutes to the office were long, often in harsh midwest climate. (Honestly, the midwest has about 5 random days of pleasant weather a year.) These few hours a week provided a reprieve and I would use that time to indulge in personal interests. Anyway, in WW2 first-wave, un-armed Soviet soldiers were forced to charge German positions acting as bullet fodder so their meagerly-armed brothers-in-arms could follow up and hope to overrun the now ammunition, depleted Germans. About 10MM, give or take a few MM, Soviet soldiers died in that war. Tragic.
  more... Meanwhile, Americans lost but a few hundred thousand. Leadership, ingenuity, and common human understanding is what puts you across the finish line first. Cronyism, misinformation, and fear, while it may eventually get you across the line as well, it creates failed states and not a dynasty.

"Perception is reality" is one approach, but perception built on quality...probably a better approach. Yes?
Pros
they didn't block reddit
Cons
incompetent management
Productive and fun workplace
SR Product Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2015
Overall great experience. I enjoyed all the people I worked with and the New York offices are great! Learned a lot and made some great friends. Company strives to make better products.
Really wish I had read the reviews before I accepted a job here!!
BSA (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAOctober 27, 2014
In everyone's career, there are missteps. And for myself, it was InfoGroup Targeting Solutions! The company looked good on paper, and the H/R person made tons of false promises during the interview cycle, but the ownership of failure here falls upon myself for not properly vetting this company before accepting a job here. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID !!

I've worked in Corporate High Tech for quite a long time. InfoGroup is without a doubt the worst employer I have ever had the displeasure of working for. Employee benefits are horrible. The company has no real vision or mission statements, nor any real core values. The company actually runs like a poorly devised "start-up." There are no real Corporate policies in place (the lack of a formal Bereavement policy being one of them). Management exercises an aggressive style here, utilizing all of the "no-no" techniques we all know about (intimidation, micro managing, etc.). Taking any time off out of the office is extremely frowned upon. Also, there are real trust issues here. But even worse in the cross-functional communication; there is none! The important day-to-day is mired in silo'd e-mail conversations. The people who "need to know" are never included, which ultimately results in 11th hour fire drills and emergencies. Planning is extremely poor here, and leadership skills are non-existent. There isn't a day that goes by without a hefty dose of panic and mayhem. The chaos seems never ending, which sets the requirement for extremely long work hours (Nights AND weekends are the rule, NOT the exception!!).

Quite honestly,
  more... in my long career, I can quite safely say that I've never witnessed an organization in such a complete and utter frenzy before. It's like the blind leading the blind.

Given the above, employee turn-over rate here is extremely high. People simply get fed up and leave on their own accord. I look forward to the day when I, myself, can be one of those lucky people.
Pros
i get a paycheck
Cons
horrible benefits, no merit increases, limited pto, hostile work environment
Excellent work life balance
Lead Database Technician (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEOctober 10, 2014
many of the positions in the company sport flexible hours that allow you to create an excellent work life balance.
Pros
discounted lunches, flexible hours
Little room for advancement, rare pay increases
Client Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 29, 2014
Management has always been pretty lenient and hours somewhat flexible. Pay was ok to start but raises never given and commissions are minimal at best. Work environment is laid back, casual dress, and a cafeteria with Scooter's and a lunch vendor every day (never healthy).
Pros
relaxed management, flexible hours, casual dress
Cons
poor pay, no room for advancement
Excellent Training, Good management team.
Teleresearcher Associate (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEJuly 9, 2014
Telephone research small business information, data entry. Learned much about how the data is used for marketing purposes, and how the information is packaged for sales leads. Management is readily available to assist, continually training for each project. Great team oriented environment. Salary and benefits not enough to make ends meet. Most enjoyable part of job is job culture and flexible hours.
Pros
job culture, and management
Cons
pay, benefits and job security.
Productive work environment.
Consumer Scan Edit (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEMay 16, 2014
Was able to apply for & move to different departments,
Management is pleasant to work for,
Hardest part is some of the abuse from companies being called.
Loved the PTO, & flexible scheduling
Great Compensation
Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEMay 8, 2014
Overall great work experience however no job security - job cuts are made based on sales performance.
Great Company
Project Manager and Senior Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEJuly 11, 2013
Great Company to work for. Solid Management Team.
Growing Industry. Leader in their Industry.
Worked with good people; pay was minimal
Data Developer (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEFebruary 26, 2013
Learned how to convert mainframe jobs into server-based requests. Worked with great people.
Hardest part of job was having to test changes made to the system in a production environment to assure changes were applied correctly while still completing client requests on time and accurate, regardless if system changes needed to be fixed during work on the request.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of knowing the customer received what they requested on time and accurately.
The second most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist others who did not understand the new system as well as I did, and also to work with peers in order to decide how to complete a job as efficiently as possible.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
micro-management
Innovative - exceptional team
Sr IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 29, 2012
Agile, great use of new tools and methodologies. Business team is engaged and strong product / technical partnership.
Pros
the ne team!!
Cons
the ny team could communicate more
Very good company to work for. Excellent history and very competitive.
Client Services Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 12, 2012
Stable company, best in class within the industry. Excellent work ethics. Very good benefits.
Pros
well know, respected within the industry
Cons
pay raises are not a common practice. there are no bonuses.

2.9