INNOVATE WASHINGTON OVERVIEW
The Innovate Washington Foundation (IWF) (innovatewashington.org) is a statewide, public-private partnership that is the catalyst for economic growth in Washington’s innovation economy. The organization collaborates, convenes and connects innovators and researchers with the entrepreneurial and financial capital needed to produce world-class companies and high-value jobs that will form the backbone of our region’s future economy.
Our mission is to make Washington the best place to develop innovative ideas and launch innovative companies.
IWF offers a comprehensive health and welfare benefit package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term disability, and a matching 401(k) plan. We also offer 12 paid holidays and generous vacation/sick time.
The Business Consultant supports the IWF mission by serving, coaching and mentoring start-up and high growth clients. The goal is to provide client companies support services that position the firm, entrepreneurs and investors for success faster than without IWF services. The incumbent has lead responsibility for assigned IWF client engagements.
It is expected that the Business Consultant shall have deep experience leading and participating on teams in technology-based companies or in the consulting sector. Specific to this position, IWF seeks an individual with vertical expertise in the advanced energy technology, clean technology, utilities or building efficiency sectors. The incumbent is expected to have hands-on experience across multiple categories of business growth and development. These categories include: product development and pricing, market assessment, segmentation and planning, business planning, financial modeling, debt and equity financing, sales management and organizational development. In addition, Accelerator Services projects will include technology and intellectual property assessment, assistance in preparing client companies for public, private or institutional financing including grants and introductory access to equity funding sources and loan funds.
This position serves in the IWF Accelerator Services Group and reports to the Director of Accelerator Services.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in the cross-functional Accelerator Services Group (ASG) team to identify and deliver a full complement of services to start-up and high-growth clients.
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal leadership and mentoring to other members of the ASG.
- Actively participate in the continuous improvement of the ASG and IWF service offerings best matched to the IWF state-wide mission.
- Pursue outreach activities to develop and maintain community awareness of IWF’s mission, expertise and goals as well as to develop the consultant’s awareness of the mission, expertise and goals of IWF partner organizations.
- Support the open communication and use of professional teaming and coaching principles (such as Agile) to foster an environment of creativity, teamwork, and accountability.
- Evaluate businesses seeking IWF support; perform market due diligence and competitive intelligence analysis to evaluate client assumptions and assertions.
- Scope, negotiate and prepare client engagement letters; prepare or recommend changes to an engagement’s projected milestone schedules and/or scope of work; prepare letter amendments or extensions where necessary.
- Manage assigned IWF client engagements including the identification and negotiation of resources internal or external to IWF. Supply IWF resources where appropriate, to supplement client company capabilities.
- Assist client companies in the market research and analysis process; prepare market research surveys and supporting materials; review client company development status based on continuous market validation and provide assistance to the IWF clients in the development and implementation of marketing, distribution, or other market access plans/tools for their companies.
- In conjunction with partner universities and law firms, assist in the recruiting, hiring, and monitoring the performance of interns assigned to support the statewide IP/BizNet Internship Program.
- Make effective use of the Executive Entrepreneurs and any other networks that the ASG develops and defines with the Group Director.
- Conduct financial analysis of client company materials to measure and subsequently advise the company regarding factors affecting feasibility and sustainability.
- Where appropriate, assist in preparation of grant proposals for client companies.
- Analyze business and finance plans for client companies and provide constructive feedback for company founders.
- Develop and maintain relationships to benefit Innovate Washington clients and partners.
- Supervise, support and mentor interns in working and interacting with client companies.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in science, engineering or business.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in a combination of advanced energy deployment, entrepreneurial business development, consulting, IP protection, technology transfer and/or licensing.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Exceptional oral and written communication ability. Experience communicating across a broad base of stakeholders such as legislators, community business leaders.
- Must demonstrate excellent strategy development skills via a portfolio of successful implementation case studies.
- The ability to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines, attention to detail, and ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy in preparing information and reports.
- The ability to provide constructive performance feedback to colleagues and clients.
- Conflict management expertise, negotiation skills and impeccable judgment.
- Must have performed the lead coaching role for the successful closing of at least three client company financing arrangements.
- The ability to initiate and facilitate mutually beneficial, long term relationships between client companies and potential investors.
- Experience working in highly participatory and collaborative processes, ability to foster knowledge-based decision-making, constructively contributes to group dynamics and consensus building.
- Ability to work within a very diverse workplace, and to relate to a broad spectrum of people outside of IWF.
- The ability to supervise the work of others in a high performance team environment.
- Strong critical thinking skills, a methodical approach to problem solving, excellent skills at executing plans.
- Familiarity with the Washington and regional advanced energy stakeholder community.
Preferred Qualifications and Attributes:
- Experience in advanced energy technology, utilities or building efficiency sectors.
- Experience with technology assessment, market and business development, contract negotiation processes and techniques, and commercialization processes.
- Entrepreneurial experience is highly desirable, specifically that related to building successful technology based businesses intent upon bringing new products to the market place. Lessons learned from unsuccessful entrepreneurial endeavors are also a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to energetically and effectively execute a volume of varying tasks under deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the patent process, including experience working with legal experts for patenting and licensing of technology, and the practices surrounding the protection of all forms of intellectual property.
- Experience with at least two stages of technology company equity financing; experience with debt financing.
- Experience as a participant in the development of successful grant proposals to include subsequent grant execution, performance, and reporting.
- Significant leadership experience with teams in dynamic organizational environments. Experience participating on high performing teams; experience with Agile is desirable.
- Outstanding customer service attitude, commitment, personality and approach.
Equivalent education / experience may substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license / certification / registration.
This position will remain open until filled. We will be conducting our first round of resume reviews on January 9, 2013
The Innovate Washington Foundation is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer with a policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran.
Indeed - 20 months ago