Inova Health System Employee Reviews

Shift work
RN - Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2015
Inova is a good hospital to work for. It is fast paced, and offers the typical 12 day/night shift work.

Typical day consisted of which department I was to report to, and then take over the care of those pt's. My co-workers were good. Some had more knowledge than others, but it was nice to help out.
Hardest for me was time. You have admit's and D/c's all day, and you really don't have much time to connect with your Pt's.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of personalization with Pt's.
Clinical technician on the Stroke Unit
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAAugust 25, 2014
Greet patients and record vital signs every 4 hours. Assist patient with ADL's and ambulating. Notify RN of any changes I observe with the patient. I really enjoy working with my fellow technicians and the RN's but management isn't so easy to communicate with. I enjoy walking into a patients room and making them feel important and helping them with their healing process.
benefits
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Excellent
International Coordinator / Controller (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Inova solutions was a software development firm as well as a digital signage manufacturer. I was mostly involved in the accounting however I was their international shipping and VAT coordinator as well. I loved the culture here and remain friends with the owners to date.
Pros
Fun and cultured environment. Nice balance and constant stimulation
Cons
I do not have any cons with working at Inova they are amazing.
WORST PLACE EVER
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 27, 2015
Don’t work hard and do a good job as a new employee! You will have older miserable employees who feel threatened and will have friends in other departments that will go to human resources and make up lies to get you fired!! No need and going to human resources or upper management, if you have any issues. They will listen to management who will lie also to save their job.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Unprofessional and untrained employees and managers
Friendly and good environmental to work with. the jobs I had performed differently becuase I dealt with lots medical equipment
Mechanic Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 4, 2015
working in INOVA Fairfax Hospital different from office buildings.
Always follow strictly safety rules as other companies but in here I had to deal with lots of medical equipment although also performed all the jobs as a maintenance building such as electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling.
Great work/life balance and opportunies to advance
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VASeptember 12, 2013
Outstanding first and second tier management; provided opportunities for outside training in order to advance to higher positions within the company; quarterly team building events.
Pros
great opportunities for outside training & advancement; excellent 1st & 2nd level management
Cons
as a healthcare provider the medical insurance should have offered more coverage.
Very Productive and Enormous Workload
Medical Technologist (Generalist) (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VirginiaJune 22, 2013
What can I say, this is my first professional job and I loved every bit of it.
Lots of very friendly co-workers.
Lots of work to do didnt't leave time to get to know people well enough.
Most enjoyable part is the food. there are always something going on in the lab that's cost for celebration.
The management however is great, very well organised.
Pros
free food and treats
Cons
big workload
great place for new and advanced experiences
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 21, 2015
care of neuro critical pts, assmts q 1hr meds and labs as ordered, calling doctors with critical results or change in assmts, suctioning and evd and line care. , work with a team of nurses, doctors and respiratory. It is hard at times to deal with the not so favorable outcomes of the pts, some as young as 18yrs. The most enjoyable is of course seeing the positive outcome of our intense care.
Great people to work with.
Case Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAOctober 3, 2013
Working with Case Management with like going to school everyday. You learned something new each day and had an opportunity to help someone with the knowledge learned. My co-workers and I were a team in every sense of the word. Although, the work itself was challenging at times being able to achieve our goal at the end was extremely gratifying.
Pros
very gratifying work
Cons
extremely long hours
always occupied fun place to work at
Catering Associate (Former Employee) –  alexandria vaJuly 5, 2012
we served breakfast lunch and dinner
i learned different types of diets
the managers where very easy going
co workers made me feel comfortable
the hardest part of the job was the 12 hour shift
the most enjoyable part of the job was all the team work
and spending all day with them
Pros
break after every meal serving ex. breakfast;break lunch; break; dinner; go home.
Cons
the position i had was prn
Team member oriented and fun place to work
Clinical Technician I (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 6, 2013
Having 12-hour shifts gives you opportunity to get things done with 4 days off. Especially good for mothers. Hardest aspect of job is keeping on your feet for so long. Most enjoyable part is knowing you can make a change for someone. The team member feel makes for a family feel environment.
Pros
strong management backing. good insurance.
Cons
short breaks. long hours. strain on body
Daily Routine
Physician Billing Representative III (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VADecember 3, 2012
On a daily basis I work assigned accounts in my direct area and also assist in other areas. The hardest part of my job would be seeing accounts that were not worked diligently be written off for timely reasons. The best part of my day is getting claims that result in researching of information regarding policies which result in a paid appealed claim.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
politics
HR is is not a great place to work.....
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VADecember 10, 2013
This department has really high turnover. The employees are not happy due to how management treats them. The Recruiters and Recruitment Coordinators stay in their positions give or take at least 4-6 months....

The overall Inova Health System is a great place to work but beware of HR.
Pros
friendly coworkers & hiring managers
Cons
high turnover, low morale in department, vindictive hr managers/vp
great learning environment
Surgical Technician Clinical Rotation (Former Employee) –  fairfax, VirginiaApril 29, 2014
Inova Fairfax Hospital was a great experience in training me for a career in being a surgical technician. The management was great with making sure I experienced all surgical services and the coworkers were patient with teaching and the most important was that even though I was a student they treated me like a employee.
Pros
free parking
Cons
short breaks
Working as a triage nurse / floater Medical Assistant
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 17, 2015
This job was a very important part of the learning experience as a Medical Assistant, because I learned to be quick on the assessments for acute care & regular appointments. Working together with the other Medical Assistants was an enjoyable part of the day because it brought us all together as team players.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Late work hours
Innova Loudoun PACU Not a Good Place to Work!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Innova LoudounMay 18, 2012
Most of the long-term staff RNs in PACU are into game playing. They like to dump their work on each other and are hypersenitive to anything that isn't politically correct. The higher manager for surgical services is horrible. DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR THIS PLACE!!!
Pros
pay is reasonable
Cons
very bad management, will fire staff for the most minor infractions, understaffed pacu
Worse Place
Scheduling/Registration Representative II (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 2, 2012
It's extremely busy and barely have time for lunch. Dont like paying overtime, hardly can get days off even when your sick. Coworkers are rude to each other...this place is a everyday pain in your a**! If you like to be under paid, unappreciated and over worked, then this is the place for you!!!
Pros
employee assistance programs
Cons
benefits, horrible management, no lunch breaks
Every Day, A New Crisis
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fair OaksJuly 18, 2015
Every day there is a new crisis that arises from the short-sighted decisions made by higher ups.

For example: Not enough staff? Call in people for over time work. Oh no! We're paying too much in overtime, we need to cut staff.

Every day is a new exercise in seeing how last week's knee jerking has made the new week miserable.
Pros
Sometimes you can get $5 lunch cards?
Cons
Culture, stress
Very productive work enviroment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 20, 2013
Very busy day from the beginning of the shift to the end.Co-workers are very supportive and helpful of each. Management is not very helpful when it comes to assisting with patient care. For the nurses to be supportive of each other makes the work day go by fast and easy.
Pros
a very good field to get nursing expirence
Cons
management needs to be more supportive of the staff
Fun place to work
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 22, 2015
Fun Place to work with bad management. They seem not to be stable . Every manager comes with their own rules and management does not care about the workers. The hospital does not crate room for improvement especially when your are a clinical technician. If you try to leave the position to advance its hard to do so since they do not want to train more people into that position.