Insitu Employee Reviews

Pressure cooker with no escape valave
Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WASeptember 4, 2017
Management is out of touch with employees and fires those who question the direction or policies. Can't have challenging yet civil conversations with management with incurring their wrath.
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
environment, culture
Productive and fun place to work
Sr. HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Hood River, ORAugust 19, 2017
A welcoming and warm culture at this company. The staff enjoy a 9/80 work schedule. There are many off Friday activities available for employees. As one benefit, a bus is provided from the Vancouver, WA area to the work location to cut down on work time lost to commuting.
Pros
Great Benefits, 9/80 work schedule, multiple off Friday events
exciting
Field Service Representative (Deployed) (Current Employee) –  contract basedAugust 18, 2017
I just like it very much. Nothing else to say. Culture is nice. I only have the navy as a comparison. Nice benefits. CEO and upper managers listen to everyone, for instance they brought back old benefits.
Relaxed pace but never dull
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJuly 18, 2017
I enjoyed interning here thoroughly. The pace was more relaxed but always kept you busy. Most coworkers are easy to get along with and management is good at taking care of their own.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
must be proactive
Worst place for work
Designer (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJuly 17, 2017
I was hired together with another designer. The first 3 week we had nothing to do. The other laid of after 4 week. Poor management and the data base are a disastrous. The CAD system does behind your back unwanted things- while saving - lines exploding to universe, views are moved and so on. Crashes of CAD program and database in a row. You will blamed for that in this company. The work organizations do not seem to exist. I ask constantly for work. For boringness you are watching internet all the time. And behind your back the manager tell other people you are doing not company-related things. Then the commute from Portland to Hood River. 2x a new radiator for wood on the highway. My luck was, I am fired before winter. Because the highway and the street on WA-Site were days long closed. The only good in this company is the product. All together I made not a financial profit for the car repairs. I don't learned anything new.For the first time in my life, I was happy to be fired.
Pros
All 2nd Friday off
Cons
Boring Town
Pioneering and Competent Company
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Hood River, ORJune 10, 2017
I've read some of these reviews, and I disagree with some of these negative assessments. I work with the Advanced Development group, and we have very good management, real-time accountability, a comfortably accelerating culture, and really great people to work with. Maybe that's just our group, but the use of Agile Development and associated tools has given us everything that these other reviews say we lack. The Gorge is beautiful, though housing is limited, and is perfect for anyone trying to escape the metropolitan scene. We work hard and play hard, and have plenty of time for both with the 9/80 schedule. Plus, we design and build some of the most useful autonomous air vehicles in the world. That's the best part.
Pros
Work/life balance, great benefits, cool projects, scenery, team-oriented
Cons
Housing is limited
Typical government contract company
Site Lead/SME (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAMay 2, 2017
Once the defense budget started to run out during the war, the field service reps. that were generating the majority of the companies income were treated poorly and forced to take significant pay reductions in order to keep their jobs.
Some great people to work with, and some not so great
Strategy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAJanuary 16, 2017
Insitu is in a very interesting and dynamic industry. They are hobbled by parental oversight.
Management tends to act like a very large organization, per its parent, therefore limits its ability to act quickly which is required in a changing industry
Pros
Many smart people work at Insitu
Cons
Too many limiting policies and procedures
Crazy Place to Work
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WANovember 22, 2016
Insitu is a truly crazy place to work. No management, no drive, no requirements to perform. Insitu's management is just really bad. They have no accountability, no one is required to perform their jobs. Insitu has been extremely luck to get this far. But, due to the lack of urgency or drive, they are being beat up by the competition. They do let you bring your dog to work. That's a nice thing. You don't have to really do anything, so that's nice that you have no responsibility The coworkers are actually pretty good. It's just the fact that you are out in Hood River, where everyone wants to go play, No body wants to actually work. They are a military products company. And, they have figured out ways to skirt the government FAR, DCMA and DCAA rules. Due to the small town of Hood River, there are many suppliers that are related to people who work at Insitu. This creates many conflicts of interest. They also promote many unqualified managerial folks. They use a very good old boy network and a lot of deals are done over beers at the local brew pubs.
Pros
Dogs, No responsibilty, no accountability to do your job
Cons
No accountabilty. No manegement
Needs new CFO
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAAugust 20, 2016
CFO is clueless what's going on and relies on everyone else and will throw everybody under the bus to cover her own mistakes. People should get the credit for the job they do and you might get the good ones to stay. A lot of people have been let go due to CFO & upper management blaming there wrong doings on them. It use to be a great place to work before this last change of CEO & CFO both have no idea what's going on and are going to cause the company to go back to Boeing then nobody will have a job. Hopefully somebody opens their eyes before all the good ones are let go and also replace the CEO & CFO with knowledgeable ones.
Pros
Location and get to bring dog to work vey casual
Cons
Poor CFO & management, medical, pay, overworked underpaid, no room for advancement, no family time or vacation unless your upper management, to many people are FIRED or LAYOFFS
Pce
PCE (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJanuary 7, 2016
Lots of pro's about working there. Most issues stem from the location. Lots of good engineers, the mgmt. control system seems lacking. If the owner enforces more discipline on the troops there it would be an outstanding employer.
Pros
excellent work environ
Cons
having growing pains/culture issues with long term mgmt
I didn't work there long. It was just a temp project.
Sr. Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAJanuary 3, 2016
I was only there for about a year. There seemed to be a lot of turnover and disorganization. I was a contractor, which generally means I get paid more but don't get benefits. I've heard that it's a really cheap company to work for and the pay is lower than you could get elsewhere. I also know of employees who literally slept at the job from time to time because they had such tight deadlines they couldn't even drive home at night. I was one of those people.
good company to work for
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  BIngen, WADecember 21, 2015
This is a great company to work for. They listen and care about their employees. It is a small company but is making a large impact on the world.
Political
Procurement Manager & Competition Advocate (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAMarch 19, 2015
Getting the job done is NOT the priority! Politics and non-listening sr. management. Even when evidence is presented for substantial savings and product improvement, no action is taken.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
No advancement; Sr. management listons to no new ideas
Relaxed
Inventory Planning and Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bingen, waMarch 3, 2015
Need better process improvement. Very few can see where we need to be heading. They know real well where we are but don't know proper supply chain principles.
Great company to go nowhere in.
Drone Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAFebruary 5, 2015
Poor management. There is little to no recognition for employees who go beyond for the company. The culture there is about who you know, not what you know.
Pros
Scenery of the Gorge.
Cons
Poor pay, Poor managemnet. Good old boy network in effect.
Great for FSRs who love being deployed
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAOctober 9, 2014
FSRs do not make money while at home. There is not much opportunity for work when you are not deployed, and training is hard to get. Promotions do not come quickly unless you know someone. Deployment pay is not what it used to be, its hard to save up money for deployment leave on what you get paid.
Pros
Field Work is good, you are given plenty of room to do your job.
Cons
Not knowing what your future holds.
Stressful work environment with unsupportive management
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WashingtonApril 22, 2014
Cool place to work initially in a fantastic area, however, if you are a good performer, you will be overloaded with work and management will not listen to your requests for help. The good performers leave and the bad performers stay and float on by.
Pros
Flex time, relaxed environment, beautiful location
Cons
No company vision, terrible management
Bad place to work
ScanEagle UAS Operator/Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WADecember 14, 2013
The entire company runs on FSR's, yet the ENTIRE COMPANY treats the FSR's like garbage. Stay away!
Pros
Bring your dog to work
Cons
As an FSR you are never at work
Dynamic work environment
Procurement Agent II (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAOctober 27, 2013
Company has great people, but some people in Management need to be replaced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insitu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5