Instacart Employee Reviews

Not good
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 23, 2017
Not reliable for sufficient income. have to battle for hours and never get enough orders. Constantly being sent on deliveries 45 minutes away for no extra compensation
Flexible and fun place to work at
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2017
Very flexible job I like that you could make your own schedule every week no manager on your back you could work weekends if you want not mandatory to do
Pros
Paid 15 min break if you work more then 4 hour shift
Cons
No discount
Wouldn't recommend this company to my worse enemy
Personal Shopper/In store Shopper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2017
For a company that claims to be technologically advance, for it's employees, it hasn't lived up to the hype. Instacart does not pay their personal shoppers, nor their in store shoppers, what they're worth. This company has no real leadership because everyone is behind a computer or phone. I'm sure the people up in corporate are fine,but for us regular folk, it sucks. If you have an issue while not on the clock, they tell you to email, but rarely answer. The answers are given by an automated system, not an actual person. The "happiness team" is anything but. They read off a script all day and don't sound too happy. They're are not knowledgeable because all they do is read a script. "Just email us and we'll get back to you". Yeah ok. If you want to work for this company, be warned, it's not worth the stress.
Pros
Make your own schedule (when you can actually get hours)
Cons
NO communication, app doesn't work at least three days a week
Need to change policies
Full service shopper (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 17, 2017
This is suppose to be a side hustle but some people try to make it a 50 hour per week job and take all the hours away from everyone else. Instacart has a stupid "Early access policy whrre
these same people get first crack at the hours and take them all leaving nothing for people working a few hours that don't have early access.
Early access shouldn't exist and it'd be a perfect PART TIME job.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
Not able to get hours
Very Stressful
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasSeptember 14, 2017
I worked as a full service contractor (shop and Deliver). These people don’t care about anyone. I will NEVER suggest instacart to anyone. These people just don’t care!
Pros
Nothing Really. All I can say is that they pay you when you work. Basically!
Cons
One 20mins. break for the day.
Advertised as a part-time position, but it is truly a temporary position
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Dedham, MASeptember 13, 2017
While it seems like the ideal part time job - it is not. You spend time driving and going to a training then you can sign up for hours for a few weeks. You get into the swing of things and working well, but then bam no more hours available once you don't have access to early access hours anymore. It is a temporary job that lasts for a month or so before they phase you out and continue to hire people to work in your area but not provide you with any hours.
Pros
On your own time for a few weeks
Cons
Temporary position, bad company policies, poor management
Easy to do, fast paced
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Do not give much thought into it. You are shopping for customers groceries. Be sure to try to find things that are close to what the customer wanted. And just make sure to treat groceries with care and always carry a nice smile on your face.
Problems from beginning
Shopper (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 10, 2017
First let me tell you I only worked 4 hours and I thought I was going to scream. First job up they had me only delivering, even though I was hired to shop and deliver. One bag out of four was missing so I had to shop for the missing items. Then I was penalized for delivering the order late. Ugh!
I'm not sure, but working 4 hours I think I ended up making about $5/hour. My God that has to be a mistake. There has got to be a better way to make a living.
Keeps independent contractors
Full-Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2017
The majority of Instacart "employees" are independent contractors so they don't have to pay out benefits. They have also started with some sneaky tactics, such as not explaining to customers that they have to manually decline the service fee if they want their shopper to receive a tip and not clearly stating that the service fee is NOT paid to their shopper....

Fine short-term, but don't make a career out of it
Pay and hours fluctuated too much to make this a full time job.
PERSONAL SHOPPER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2017
Pay and hours fluctuated too much to make this a full time job.The best part of the job was serving the customers. It became difficult to get desired hours without working weekends.
In-store Shopper
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2017
When I first started it was great. We were tip employees and provided the best service ever because we weren't rushed to get the job done. But after March 2015, when Instacart decided their employees are making too much money from tips, they wanted to profit from it instead. So they took the tips (but still told the customers that the tips go to the employees) and paid the employees hourly. They also treat the delivery drivers horribly, also cutting their pay range and reimbursements. From there, after they changed the way employees were paid, they started giving the employees less and less time to complete the orders, causing more stress and chaos to the employees for minimum wage pay and with bad treatment from management.
Pros
Flexible.
Cons
NO BENEFITS OF ANY SORTS. We did not even get discounts, health benefits or anything.
Mixed Bag
In Store Shopper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2017
You can schedule your own hours but only within what they have available, and the available hours go fast. Unless you are a fast shopper its almost impossible to get the hours you want. As an instore shopper you are a little more likely to get the hours you want.

Instore shoppers have a supervisor they can go to for help. Other than that you are on your own. The guidance to start you off is minimal and the only real requirement is to keep rating up and time down. Practically impossible to get fired unless you do not show up.

The pay is above minimum wage for instore shoppers and commission for full service. Once you figure in independent contractor fees though you make very poor money.

Some customers are great and totally understanding when an item is out of stock and some will call you up to scream at you over the phone and then again once you deliver.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
independent contractor, limited hours, no management.
Would not return
Recruiting (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2017
Instacart has its favorites and the company felt like being in a fraternity. Many people have left to join other companies. The free food and unlimited PTO was great.
It's okay
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 16, 2017
Need to better their pay and scheduling for the downtown area.. look out the the independ drivers pay for mileage and some kind of benefits be more helpful just look out as we look out for the company
A Great Place To Make Side Cash.
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2017
This is a company that I wouldn't make a career out of. It's great to make money on the side. Hours are unpredictable and they stress you on time. We're humans and things happen. The pressure of time is more of a priority than customer service. There's always new employees yet hours are almost impossible to get. I do like the fact I feel more in control on when I want to work, yet guilty if I can't pick up hours.
Pros
Cons
Obsession with Time
Over all a great place to work
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 15, 2017
I really enjoy the flexibility of this job, however it does not provide sufficient hours. I am lucky to be scheduled 20 hours usually I only get 10 a week.
Pros
flexible
Cons
No benefits, low hours
Flexible job with great pay the more you work!
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2017
I have enjoyed working for the Instacart corporation. It has allowed me to put in as many hours as I want or need to every week. I like how you are compensated for superior performance as well!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Short Breaks, Low hourly pay
Balance
Instacart Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAAugust 11, 2017
Depending on what you are looking for, full-time or part-time, working with Instacart can accomodate any preferance. However something to take in consideration is the amount of orders you receive depends on the area and the time you desire on working. Additionally how much you would get per order also depends on the amount of items the customer is asking for. Some customers are only asking for less than 5 items, which in return means less money you make for the order.
Terrible support, little to no understanding of the markets they are operating in
Personal Shopper/Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2017
If you like hauling 7 cases of water a half mile, then up several flights of stairs to entitled customers who are distressed that you weren't able to also drag the pallet of dog food they ordered to their high rise condo surrounded by construction with no parking for 6 blocks in a single trip, then this job is for you.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Everything else
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 5, 2017
A typical day at work would be to receive an order through their company's app and drive to the requested grocery store and shop for the items listed by the costumer, pay with my company credit card, and deliver the items to the costumers home, all while being timed. Through this job I have learned to use my time wisely and to be diligent in all aspects of the work place. Management was always a phone call away, if anything were to go wrong we were told to call and we would be helped ASAP and that they did. The hardest part of the job was that you had to be quick but efficient and sometimes I would get three-four orders at a time , and had to look for at least 14-20 items for each costumer. The most enjoyable part of the job was to shop, sometimes the employees at the grocery store would notice I worked for instacart and would help find difficult items.
Pros
Payment, Make my own schedule
Cons
Rushed, Had to use my own car and gas for delivery.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6