Institute for Community Living

Institute for Community Living Employer Reviews

A great place to work! I learned a lot working here and I loved every minute of it
Medical Technician (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: great communication within the team
Cons: health benefits were not that great
On a typical day of work i would take and record patients vital signs and chief complaints, assist with patients medical care and treatment, i would translate for any spanish speaking patients. create spreadsheets and enter data for statistical purposes, create medical schedules and confirm appointments.

Working for this company i learned a lot and I also grew professionally. medically I was exposed to new terminology and conditions daily. the doctors and nurse practitioner I worked with were always teaching me and i was always ready and willing to work.

my coworkers were amazing by keeping the lines of communication open.

the hardest part of my job was leaving the team.

the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the patients and knowing that i could help someone
Professional staff and management
Director of PROS (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2015
There is always a great deal of work to be done, supportive leadership and staff.
what you learned
Case Manager, Primary Therapist/Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2014
school of swocial worl internship- Mica day tretament outpatient program therapist - excellent learning of how to apply theroy to practice
Case Manager/Supported Housing Case Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
good co-workers rather not comment on management at this time
Great experience
Program Supervisor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2014
Pros: comfortable atmosphere
Cons: salary
good culture, great leadership, team work. I enjoyed working with the custumers
Medical appoinments drop off and pick up
Skillbuiler (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: being apart of the growth of the consumers
My day consist of driving to medical appointment, doing drop off 's and pick up's. Giving medication, packing lunches doing laundry, assistant with ADL
Learning
Case Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn,NySeptember 26, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
My type of day at work was type stressful it all depended on the each day had its on stress level. I learned how to become more understanding with different people with situations.I had to work case loads of 6 . My Co-workers some of them where my friends, Some i never really spoke to . My hardest part of my job was, learning how to relate with others . The most enjoying part of my job was when we had Movie night, cards night went outside played music on nice days .
WORST COMPANY EVER!
Skill Builder (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: clients
Cons: poor administration, dirty bug infested residences
ICL is the worst company to work for! No pay raises, Poor administration, never enough supplies/food, clients ALL need better clothes to actually fit, over all your better off unemployed!
Poor management/ work environment (GARDEN HOUSE)
Direct Care worker/skillbuilder (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: residents
Cons: no incentives for staff
Management & some staff very unprofessional. Proper supplies never available during shift. Resident lack clothing. Never no community inclusions. Salary doesn't equal cost of living.
Horrible place to for
Residence Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: unprofessional and unqualified directors
Worked for 1 year in residential services. Horrible place to work for, no work-life balance. Area Directors are unprofessional, have no decency and are unqualified.
Fun workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Queens, NYJune 10, 2014
Cons: work hours
Depends on the Residence; overall not stressful. Must be friendly, caring.
Productive ever-changing environment.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 21, 2014
There is always a new learning experience when working for ICL. There is a continued want and need to provide the best services possible to all persons daily. Working in a residential setting produces different challenges due to it needing 24 hour staffing and there is always the possibility of dealing with a crisis. The staff is all about team work and helping each other complete tasks. Direct contact with the persons served allows a greater chance to know each person on an individual level as well as learn the best methods of interaction.
great experience for my internship positions
Fee-For Service Therapist (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 8, 2014
Pros: alot of experience in mental health
Cons: location
learned alot abput different populations, worked with children, ica populations, chronically mentally ill, great staff.
I enjoyed working as a House Manager at Borden Avenue Veteran's Residence
House Manager (Former Employee), 21-10 Borden Ave, LICMarch 10, 2014
Pros: facility provided services and housing to all vets.
Cons: frequently had to work double shifts due to staff shortages.inconsistant shift scheduling.
A typical day involved answering phones, resolving conflicts between residents, assigning job tasks to housekeeping, unit counselors, and security staff, interacting with EMS, NYPD, and FDNY during crisis situations, conferring with DSS, Case Managers, and Housing staff regarding residents needs, conducting a census count and reporting it to DHS, monitoring all "high risk" residents, and ultilizing the computer to input and retrieve client information. I learned how to conduct fire drills and man the fire safety panel. The hardest part of the job was working with those staff who didn't see the value in helping others,while the most enjoyable aspect of my job was the appreciation of those vets who understood that I was there working on their behalf.
Good human services organization
Employee (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: every day is interesting.
Cons: cannot think of any.
There are many people who need help from others. I am glad that I can be part of a team who dedicate their lives to helping others improve their lives.
Good
Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: clients
Cons: forget to eat
I spend two hours in my office then in the field most of the day visiting consumers in the community. I have learned how to advocate and research needed links in the community for my client,management is fine,love my coworker professional and great people to work with also resourceful. Hardest part of my job is helping multiple clients with many issues,my clients,co workers and many providers that I met.
Educational Growth
Case Manager, Voc. Srvcs. Asst (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 7, 2014
Very good company to learn and grow. There is alot of support from management in regards to professional development.
Productive and quite
Entitlements Technical Asst (Current Employee), 125 Broad Street, New York Ny 10004January 25, 2014
Pros: working independently
Cons: poor benifits
ICL is a very quiet environment to work in, most of your work is done independently and and at the end of the day much is accomplished. The employees are mostly friendly, willing to help out and occasionally you hear laughter.
(Former Employee/Act) Great employee Team work.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), BROOKLYN, NYJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: working with consumers is rewarding
Cons: no room for advancement on the merit system!
Worked as Admin. Assistant, usually the first to arrive in AM. I typically start up all equipment fax, copiers, printers etc. Take minutes each day during morning meetings of visits. Manage mountains of reports, updating various lists, medical billing in Anaszi, custodial of Metro cards daily. Management is horrible, lack training, such as how to respectfully and professionally converse with staff. they reassign their workloads to staff, want you to spy on employees and inform management of their ill doings. Management creates a hostile working environment, which is why I left. My co-workers were the best. The hardest part of the job was balancing stress of consumers as well as management. MOST REWARDING PART OF THE JOB WAS KNOWING EACH DAY I MADE A POSTIVE DIFFERENCE IN THE CONSUMERS LIVES by encouraging, being resourceful and just being a friend.
All Work
House Manager (Former Employee), Long Island CityDecember 26, 2013
I've worked in the social service field for over 10yrs, starting out as a security officer and advancing within the years. A typical work day within my previous shelter and employers was diligently working to ensure permanent housing for those we serve.