Institute for Community Living Employee Reviews

social field
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
good for the experience. Introduces you to the field of social services. Allows you to branch off to other opportunities and bring those skill sets you learned .
Leading edge of Mental Health Treatment
VP Data & Software Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2017
ICL is a NFP trying to operate in an every changing funding world. There have been some bumps, but mostly the management has navigated well. ICL is poised for major growth.
Summary of Workplace
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2017
Working with ICL was a great experience. This is where I participated in Quality Assurance and was able to assist and learn about auditing. A healthy work environment.
ok
PROGRAM SECRETARY - SHORT TERM HOUSING PROGRAM (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 27, 2017
I enjoyed helping the clients and working on the computer. Eventually had two positions at the same time there. Honestly, the first position - not-so-much but I did my job. The second position was better. That Director was respectful, fair, compassionate to everyone - an easy A+. But due to circumstances beyond my control, I knew I had to resign.
Pros
Helping Clients & Director & working on the computer.
Cons
Case Manager, walking up 4 flights most mornings and other things.
Good Starter Job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 12, 2017
For anyone looking to brake into the health care industry or recent retired HRA employee I would recommend a position with ICL but for those with several years in social services and ready for the next level, ICL is not the place for you. It is standard in their approach to servicing the mentally I’ll population.
Pros
Build great connections
Cons
You will never get paid your wealth if your not in management.
Mental Health Agency with high standards
Mental Health & Substance Abuse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 5, 2017
I find working at ICL great based on the team and department I am in. My director is amazing. He is a true team player and strong leader. There is team support and dedication to do a job well and with passion.
Pros
Team
Cons
Potentially dangerous residents
Great place for growth if this is the field for you
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 22, 2017
A typical day at work can be exciting and engaging but there are days when the clients are hostile and aggressive. I wish there were more security in terms of our safety in place. Feeling safe was a huge issue for me. Also there is a lot of paper work and documentation which is expected. If you work overtime you will not be payed for it. Instead, you will be asked to come in later on another day. I however learn a lot about myself working here. I understood clearly that this is not the field for me though I have the desire and heart to serve the people. Supervisors are great however its crucial that each worker document EVERYTHING!. The most rewarding part of the job is hearing a client say you helped me you helped change my life that it the greatest reward and accomplishment of a worker.
Pros
you will be reimbursed for every client you visit. in terms of fare
Productive and wonderful environment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 12, 2017
working at the company opened my eyes to new opportunities and different training. The management was very communicative and the staffs were very nice
Pros
work balance, benefits and off days
Cons
ICL was a great stepping stone and learning tool in terms of the Behavioral Health Model
Case Manager Supervisor/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 7, 2017
A typical day at work was checking your telephone messages, emails, and documentation of progress notes and other paperwork.
I learned Motivational Interviewing, making informed decisions about clients issues, Strength based behavioral health language. My Program Director/Manager gave great advice/support in terms of client issues as well as problem solving techniques.
Workplace culture was very diverse and everyone had opportunities in terms of self reflection, growth, and advancement. The hardest part of my job was encouraging consumers to pay their rent monthly to remain stable in the apartment. The most enjoyable part of my job was when a client achieved a personal goal no matter the level or what it entailed. I always stated, "I am so proud of you!"
Pros
Vacation, holidays, and company parties
Cons
Healthcare package was not good
Overall a good company
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2017
The day to day task are sometimes stressful, but if you have a passion with working with people you can enjoy it.
Daily progress notes
Daily/Weekly home visits
Not a good company
DSL (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 2, 2017
They are very nasty company ,the staff workers don't have no experience and they sleep at work and eat the clients food, they yell at the clients I left because I was uncomfortable working for icl in the Bronx, Manhattan , Brooklyn sites are unprofessional.DONT WORK FORM
Cons
I love to empower the disadvantage,
Qualified Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 19, 2017
I found working at Institute for Community Living a good working experience for me. I earned a lot and was rewarded by knowing that the consumers I served achieved their goals.
Pros
good training, vacation time
Used to be great
Residence Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2017
This was once one of the best companies to work for, however mismanagement and high turnover has resulted in the company not being the great anymore.
The individuals are well taken care of by the staff and house managers but a lack of guidance from administration has led to confusion.
Ok place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 5, 2017
It is an ok com-pany to work for if you really need a job. The work loadd can become a bit much. Clients are disrespectful and staff is ok but likes to create drama
Unprofessional
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 2, 2017
This job has no great perks, you will be worked out. Working illegal hours! You will be threatened by the residents and you will be investigated! It's traumatic for the staff!
Pros
Cons
1/2hr breaks, cant leave the facility. Being hurt, stalked on social media.
ICL is good place to obtain experience in mental health.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 30, 2017
A great place to obtain experience in the mental health field. The salary is not rated high in the competitive field. However, it's a great to assist individuals with disabilities with making a positive impact on their challenges. To assist the underserved with integration into the community.
Pros
Great place to obtain experience, the salaries is decent living rate
Cons
Upgrade of security would be good for the individuals and employees
Employees get along with each other
Entitlement Specialist Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2017
Open mail regarding clients benefits, submit applications for consumers benefits,Review rent arrears report, workers all all get along work together,the hardest part is going out in the field and the weather is bad.
Pros
Employee benefits and staff birthday celebrated, care fare reimbursement
Cons
Low Salary, constantly in the field
Productive and fun work space.
Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2017
In my typical day at work, I provide psychotherapy sessions to children, adolescents, and adults. I use a variety of therapeutic techniques to assist people to feel better.
Learning tool for social service providers, qualified employees
Supervisor - State Street Residence (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2017
Interaction on a daily basis with individuals diagnosed with mental illness and other health problems. Use motivational interviewing skills daily for encouragement and uplift client's moral. Follow-up phone calls to ensure medications are in place, perform schedule fire-drill. Monitor medication; BP, insulin and controlled substance responsibility.

Being proactive, and using analytical thinking during crises, prevention measures. Try to maintain a cohesive work environment.

The hardest part of the job is watching individual with mental illness suffer unnecessarily; stop taking medications, no support system in place.

I enjoy helping other, providing them with education of their rights and assist with reunification with families, help obtain benefits. Making referrals and connecting to resources.
Pros
various divisions of work
Cons
no change in salary unless you recieve promotion
Ethically immoral and lacks professionalism
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 4, 2017
Human resources lacks any formal knowledge of employee remediation. I was "laid off" after so called insubordination for reporting a long time employee of menacing behavior. They have poor patient relation including long wait times even during scheduled appointments. For some reason there is a high turnover rate for their Nurses, I'm sure it can be attributed to the company's hostile work environment.
Pros
Cons
Poorly managed and lack of Human Resource assistance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Institute for Community Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9