Institute for Community Living Employee Reviews in United States

It's Productive and fun day at work
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work is never a dull day. Every day I learn something different and for the future. Management is awesome, and coworkers are very supportive. The hardest part of the job is not understanding my clients. The most enjoyable part of my job is clocking in.
Pros
Great experience for future
Cons
Do not pay well
I geniually love working with my coworkers and interacting with the population
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  LIC, NYMay 11, 2016
A typical work day consist of finding housing for our veterans. I have learned a lot from not only my colleagues but from the veterans. They have taught me to be more patient and to actively listen to them and their needs. The hardest part of my job is getting landlords to accept the programs offered and place a veteran who may suffer from mental illness.
Pros
I am able to work a flexible schedule
Cons
lunch breaks are very few.
overall
Counselor/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 2, 2016
ICL is a great place to gain experience in the Human services Field. You have the opportunity to work directly with the consumers and learn a lot about the population you are serving and their needs.
Direct care Counselor
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 7, 2016
My experience in providing round the clock assistance to clients in ICL, daily house chores, personal hygiene, transportation and doctors’ visits is vast and I strive to add to this experience continuously
productive work place
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 21, 2016
productive work place, great social work start, organized company, room for advancing, organized company. Great experience while employed
Pros
room for advancing
workers dedicated
director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2015
Typical day preparing to meet and work with clients. Many lessons from clients we all struggle with many of the same issues. Clients all have the strength to do well. Co workers staff are wonderful on program level very supportive. Hardest part rate of inflation does not match salaries. Enjoyable opportunity to work with staff and clients
Pros
support of Directors for each other
Cons
Lack of raises
My first mental health job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 2, 2015
This was first place of employment in the field of social service out of college. Even though my employment was short, I would work for this company again. There is a opportunity for growth with hard work and experience.
Review
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2015
Overall the company has a lot to offer employees. My typical day is busy but enjoyable. My co-workers are great. I like the training opportunities that ICL offers.
Progressive Company
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2015
Working at ICL provided job security and if I was able to manage going for additional training in psychoanalyst while working at the agency, I would not have decided to leave.
Chaotic, Unorganized work enviornment
Case manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 26, 2015
A typical work day varied dependent on what was going on with the program, your caseload and the caseload of your co-workers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours, pay not compensatory for the amount of work required
Great job for a student.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2015
Nice place to work, Many people care about the work they do, and management is pretty flexible about hours and shifts. After 1 year, this company also offers tuition assistance, as well as paid educational leave.
productive a place to learn as much as you can on the case manager field
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn nyJuly 3, 2015
Meeting with consumers as needed. making sure they are person centered at all times. assisting them towards accomplishing there goal of living independent. For the most part I get along with everyone am a people person. the hardest part is when some individuals you work with have no type of motivation regardless whats put in place. the most enjoyable part is making a difference in someones live and seeing them grow.
Pros
given an opportunity to work with company
Cons
healthcare
Excellent place to work
Skill Builder (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 24, 2015
My time at ICL I must say that we worked as a team. I enjoyed working with the developmentally disabled. They gave you an opportunity to be able to see things through the lens that they can vision life. I was able to provide emotional support to all my patients and I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great place to work and fun
Cons
N/A
Great nonprofit company
Unit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 23, 2015
Provided any needs to military veterans such as transportation, employment assistance, counseling etc. Management was proficient. Coworkers were professional. Hardest part was sometimes being verbally abused by clientele. Most enjoyable part was seeing clients make a successful transition back into to normal civilian life style.
Pros
Tuition assistance & health benefits.
Cons
Do not work for their livonia site
residential counselor (Former Employee) –  LivoniaJune 7, 2015
Incredibly high turnover
Conditions are awful. Job description is one thing but you forced to do things that you are technically not supposed to be doing. If you question ANYTHING you get written up or fired.
They dont care about the clients just ab the cash they bring in.
The upper management is holding on to clients cash without their permission as well they miscount it on purpose as to set some aside for themselves.
When you try to file a complaint its always your word against upper management. As well they "special" employees who spy on everyone for them.
Pros
experience working in the mental health field
Cons
always short staffed, vacations or days off are never granted, favoritism is huge, policies are one sided and only applied to certain ppl
Productive and great workplace
Youth Counselor/Harm Reduction Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2015
As a residential counselor ICL was an excellent place to learn about individuals with MH. The residential facilities are some of the best.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/a
It was fun while it lasted.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2015
My co-workers made it bearable to work at this organization. They tried to guide me the best way they knew how. The hardest part of my job was watching how the veterans were treated.
Pros
Comp time was awesome.
Cons
breaks were too short
I enjoy working for my agency, I've been with the company going on 12 yeas this coming July, but now I feel I need to move on to better things.
Medicaid Service Coordinator Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
Day to Day office duties, sending out referral packets for individuals, reviewing ISP's , doing monthly case notes, returning phone calls to providers, parents etc. scheduling meetings, home visits, day program visits/meetings.filing and follow up,

The hardest part of the job is trying to coordinate meetings with all of the providers who have a active roll in the individuals life.

My day is complete once I have put a smile on an individuals face then I know I have done my job.

I am a team player. I enjoy assisting my co- workers with things that they may have some difficulty with.
Hard work
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 27, 2015
I deal with people with many different personality's. it is a different experience with each shift. My co-workers are the best, we have fun together and we also have a lot in common. i enjoy my job but I'm looking to do something different.
Pros
Getting experience in dealing with different types of people.
Cons
Having to work overnight.
well organized place to work.
Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 22, 2015
working at institute for community living is great experience I.like the support that this company
give to their employee.very pleasant place.co workers are very friendly.there is no hard or enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Institute for Community Living. Our community is ready to answer.

Institute for Community Living Reviews by Location