Institute for Community Living

Institute for Community Living Employee Reviews

My first mental health job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 2, 2015
This was first place of employment in the field of social service out of college. Even though my employment was short, I would work for this company again. There is a opportunity for growth with hard work and experience.
Review
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2015
Overall the company has a lot to offer employees. My typical day is busy but enjoyable. My co-workers are great. I like the training opportunities that ICL offers.
Progressive Company
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 13, 2015
Working at ICL provided job security and if I was able to manage going for additional training in psychoanalyst while working at the agency, I would not have decided to leave.
Chaotic, Unorganized work enviornment
Case manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 26, 2015
A typical work day varied dependent on what was going on with the program, your caseload and the caseload of your co-workers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours, pay not compensatory for the amount of work required
Great job for a student.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2015
Nice place to work, Many people care about the work they do, and management is pretty flexible about hours and shifts. After 1 year, this company also offers tuition assistance, as well as paid educational leave.
productive a place to learn as much as you can on the case manager field
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn nyJuly 3, 2015
Meeting with consumers as needed. making sure they are person centered at all times. assisting them towards accomplishing there goal of living independent. For the most part I get along with everyone am a people person. the hardest part is when some individuals you work with have no type of motivation regardless whats put in place. the most enjoyable part is making a difference in someones live and seeing them grow.
Pros
given an opportunity to work with company
Cons
healthcare
Excellent place to work
Skill Builder (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 24, 2015
My time at ICL I must say that we worked as a team. I enjoyed working with the developmentally disabled. They gave you an opportunity to be able to see things through the lens that they can vision life. I was able to provide emotional support to all my patients and I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Great place to work and fun
Cons
N/A
Great nonprofit company
Unit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 23, 2015
Provided any needs to military veterans such as transportation, employment assistance, counseling etc. Management was proficient. Coworkers were professional. Hardest part was sometimes being verbally abused by clientele. Most enjoyable part was seeing clients make a successful transition back into to normal civilian life style.
Pros
Tuition assistance & health benefits.
DO NOT WORK FOR THEIR LIVONIA SITE
residential counselor (Former Employee) –  LivoniaJune 7, 2015
Incredibly high turnover
Conditions are awful. Job description is one thing but you forced to do things that you are technically not supposed to be doing. If you question ANYTHING you get written up or fired.
They dont care about the clients just ab the cash they bring in.
The upper management is holding on to clients cash without their permission as well they miscount it on purpose as to set some aside for themselves.
When you try to file a complaint its always your word against upper management. As well they "special" employees who spy on everyone for them.
Pros
experience working in the mental health field
Cons
always short staffed, vacations or days off are never granted, favoritism is huge, policies are one sided and only applied to certain ppl
Productive and great workplace
Youth Counselor/Harm Reduction Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 29, 2015
As a residential counselor ICL was an excellent place to learn about individuals with MH. The residential facilities are some of the best.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/a
It was fun while it lasted.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2015
My co-workers made it bearable to work at this organization. They tried to guide me the best way they knew how. The hardest part of my job was watching how the veterans were treated.
Pros
Comp time was awesome.
Cons
breaks were too short
I enjoy working for my agency, I've been with the company going on 12 yeas this coming July, but now I feel I need to move on to better things.
Medicaid Service Coordinator Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2015
Day to Day office duties, sending out referral packets for individuals, reviewing ISP's , doing monthly case notes, returning phone calls to providers, parents etc. scheduling meetings, home visits, day program visits/meetings.filing and follow up,

The hardest part of the job is trying to coordinate meetings with all of the providers who have a active roll in the individuals life.

My day is complete once I have put a smile on an individuals face then I know I have done my job.

I am a team player. I enjoy assisting my co- workers with things that they may have some difficulty with.
Hard work
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 27, 2015
I deal with people with many different personality's. it is a different experience with each shift. My co-workers are the best, we have fun together and we also have a lot in common. i enjoy my job but I'm looking to do something different.
Pros
Getting experience in dealing with different types of people.
Cons
Having to work overnight.
well organized place to work.
Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 22, 2015
working at institute for community living is great experience I.like the support that this company
give to their employee.very pleasant place.co workers are very friendly.there is no hard or enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
healthcare
A great place to work! I learned a lot working here and I loved every minute of it
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 6, 2015
On a typical day of work i would take and record patients vital signs and chief complaints, assist with patients medical care and treatment, i would translate for any spanish speaking patients. create spreadsheets and enter data for statistical purposes, create medical schedules and confirm appointments.

Working for this company i learned a lot and I also grew professionally. medically I was exposed to new terminology and conditions daily. the doctors and nurse practitioner I worked with were always teaching me and i was always ready and willing to work.

my coworkers were amazing by keeping the lines of communication open.

the hardest part of my job was leaving the team.

the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the patients and knowing that i could help someone
Pros
great communication within the team
Cons
health benefits were not that great
Productive and fun workplace
Accounts Payable Clerk (Temp) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is that employees are very friendly and caring to work with.

Challenging part is that there is always somethng to do, work does not stop.
Professional staff and management
Director of PROS (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2015
There is always a great deal of work to be done, supportive leadership and staff.
Fast pace place to work
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2014
Excellent place to work for career advancement. Enjoyed meeting the healthcare needs of people with developmental disabilities and psychiatric disorders.
what you learned
Case Manager, Primary Therapist/Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2014
school of swocial worl internship- Mica day tretament outpatient program therapist - excellent learning of how to apply theroy to practice
Case Manager/Supported Housing Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
good co-workers rather not comment on management at this time