Institute for Community Living

Institute for Community Living Employee Reviews

Horrible company to work for
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2017
Management at Icl is horrible, workers receive no direction, management is unorganized and lacks communication ability employees work hard and go out of their way without much recognition and when it was time for advancement a lot of office politics were factored in rather than workers ability. I would not recommend this job to anyone except for experience and getting a foot in the door in the psychology social work field.
Already reviewed. Please see the prior evaluation.
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 17, 2016
No longer an innovative place to work. The change in management has been difficult for most of the agency and most of the long term workers have left for more fertile work opportunities.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
No educational benefits.
Mental health agency
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYJuly 31, 2016
Provides mental health and housing case management.

No job/work life balance

extra work and minimal financial compensation

at will employment, so you can be the best employee and let go at any time.
A day in the life
Residential Family Peer Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 16, 2016
I am a liaison between the families and children I serve and the Community Residence staff and management. I work with parents from the beginning at intake and during the time their child is living at the Community Residence. My main focus is to help the parent stay engaged in their child's treatment and work towards a successful discharge.
Pros
helping people
Cons
long commute
employee orientated
Peer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2016
My experience with ICL, has been very rewarding, and memorable. Management was very reasonable, and flexible. My clients had been the highlight of my employment routine, to see the excitement when I was able to find them stable housing, or a day program, and assist with any collateral agency facilitation.
Pros
great team work
Cons
not enough resources to accommodate client needs
Very unprofessional environment
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 21, 2016
The workers are very unprofessional. From the director of the facility down to the counselors. It was very difficult to balance my work life and school life.
Great diverse and cultural experience.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
Always a busy work day. Provide coverage for residence with men with developmental disabilities. I learned how to effectively communicate with staff and settle grievances and complaints.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Large amount of paper work
Fast paced environment
Adult Home Supportive Housing Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 25, 2016
Some of the coworkers are helpful and cooperative. The day is very fast paced. I learned the importance of multitasking, which is good to know. The management are very helpful and supportive.
Pros
fast paced environment
Cons
short breaks
Job is not secure anymore, lesser compensation,
Staff Accountnat (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Company change so much in the past years. Staff resigning and cutting some company benefits. Future seems not secure anymore..
Pros
Free cakes for monthly birthday celebrant- shared by all
Cons
healthcare seems to be getting higher every year
It's Productive and fun day at work
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work is never a dull day. Every day I learn something different and for the future. Management is awesome, and coworkers are very supportive. The hardest part of the job is not understanding my clients. The most enjoyable part of my job is clocking in.
Pros
Great experience for future
Cons
Do not pay well
Great Experience to add to your resume
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2016
Stay focused on what you have to get done. Don't gossip. Stay professional and polite. Its a great learning experience just be very careful about who you socialize with. Just get your work done and don't get too comfortable its easier than you think to get comfortable there.
Icl
NY - Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  brookylnMay 11, 2016
typical day at ICL is typing progress notes and scheduling home visit and medical/mental health appointments. I learned how to engage members and link them to providers that would benefit them with their pressing issues. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was connecting with member regularly and the constant change in the documents. I really enjoyed that we make our own schedule.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
Micro-Management from Supervisor
Productive and challenging
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2017
It is very productive to be able to help people who really need you in order for them to perform even some simple tasks. It's a real pleasure to see them grow and achieve a sense of independence.
Great team
Transitional-Aged Youth Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 23, 2016
I supervise a great team of case managers, support counselors and peer specialist. I also like working with the transitional aged youth and their family.
Genuinely not a healthy work environment
Client Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Tillary Street ShelterAugust 11, 2013
I worked at a shelter owned by ICL for almost 2 years. Not to sound overly dramatic but ICL is the most mismanaged non-profit at which I've worked. If you ever have the displeasure of working here you will see what I mean. Management is completely blind to the low employee morale that seems to permeate. The expectations are unreasonable, you are expected to intuitively know which policies have changed in any given day, and the raise structure/chances for advancement are relatively non-existent. All this to say nothing of the ways in which you are implicitly forced to lie to the department of homeless services.

To be fair to ICL though, the economy is hard. That's why I had to stay for the time that I did. Still, if you are desperate enough that you must take a job with ICL, my advice is to keep looking for work while you're there. I wish I hadn't waited so long to start looking again.
workers dedicated
director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2015
Typical day preparing to meet and work with clients. Many lessons from clients we all struggle with many of the same issues. Clients all have the strength to do well. Co workers staff are wonderful on program level very supportive. Hardest part rate of inflation does not match salaries. Enjoyable opportunity to work with staff and clients
Pros
support of Directors for each other
Cons
Lack of raises
Do not work for their livonia site
residential counselor (Former Employee) –  LivoniaJune 7, 2015
Incredibly high turnover
Conditions are awful. Job description is one thing but you forced to do things that you are technically not supposed to be doing. If you question ANYTHING you get written up or fired.
They dont care about the clients just ab the cash they bring in.
The upper management is holding on to clients cash without their permission as well they miscount it on purpose as to set some aside for themselves.
When you try to file a complaint its always your word against upper management. As well they "special" employees who spy on everyone for them.
Pros
experience working in the mental health field
Cons
always short staffed, vacations or days off are never granted, favoritism is huge, policies are one sided and only applied to certain ppl
I geniually love working with my coworkers and interacting with the population
Housing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  LIC, NYMay 11, 2016
A typical work day consist of finding housing for our veterans. I have learned a lot from not only my colleagues but from the veterans. They have taught me to be more patient and to actively listen to them and their needs. The hardest part of my job is getting landlords to accept the programs offered and place a veteran who may suffer from mental illness.
Pros
I am able to work a flexible schedule
Cons
lunch breaks are very few.
(Former Employee/Act) Great employee Team work.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  BROOKLYN, NYJanuary 17, 2014
Worked as Admin. Assistant, usually the first to arrive in AM. I typically start up all equipment fax, copiers, printers etc. Take minutes each day during morning meetings of visits. Manage mountains of reports, updating various lists, medical billing in Anaszi, custodial of Metro cards daily. Management is horrible, lack training, such as how to respectfully and professionally converse with staff. they reassign their workloads to staff, want you to spy on employees and inform management of their ill doings. Management creates a hostile working environment, which is why I left. My co-workers were the best. The hardest part of the job was balancing stress of consumers as well as management. MOST REWARDING PART OF THE JOB WAS KNOWING EACH DAY I MADE A POSTIVE DIFFERENCE IN THE CONSUMERS LIVES by encouraging, being resourceful and just being a friend.
Pros
WORKING WITH CONSUMERS IS REWARDING
Cons
NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT ON THE MERIT SYSTEM!
Great nonprofit company
Unit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 23, 2015
Provided any needs to military veterans such as transportation, employment assistance, counseling etc. Management was proficient. Coworkers were professional. Hardest part was sometimes being verbally abused by clientele. Most enjoyable part was seeing clients make a successful transition back into to normal civilian life style.
Pros
Tuition assistance & health benefits.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Institute for Community Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9