Open Position: Community Organizer – San Bernardino County, Barstow
The Institute for Public Strategies (IPS) is seeking a Community Organizer who will be responsible for working with communities to foster a shift in community attitudes and behavior that will lead to reductions in alcohol and other drug use and abuse among youth and the community of Barstow and surrounding unincorporated area. IPS has multiple offices in San Bernardino County and this position will be located in Barstow with some occasional travel to Victorville.
The Community Organizer will report to the Project Manager and be responsible for mobilizing key stakeholders to participate in project activities such as data collection, community outreach, media advocacy, policy advocacy and evaluation efforts. This position will help develop and implement a strategic plan for the project that involves intentional engagement and cultivation of key stakeholders (including law enforcement, educators, community leaders, grassroots community members and young adults), and community capacity building through trainings, community events, presentations, etc.
A successful candidate will be able to recognize how community characteristics that contribute to or promote alcohol and other drug use and abuse; the ability to help develop and implement strategic plans; excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills; the ability to write well and use Word and PowerPoint computer programs; a very flexible work style; and the ability to manage multiple large and small tasks simultaneously.
1. Help develop, implement and evaluate strategic plans to further alcohol, and other drug prevention goals;
2. Function as part of a cohesive project team;
3. Collaborate, create, and cultivate partnerships with community groups as well as formal and informal community leaders to create/support alcohol and prevention campaign;
4. Conduct presentations on alcohol and other drug prevention issues to community groups, elected officials, etc;
5. Facilitate community meetings and conduct community trainings and/or forums that focus on communitywide prevention solutions to alcohol and other drug problems; and
6. Coordinate, track, document and report on project activities and outcomes.
Note: Position does not involve providing one-to-one counseling services
Minimum Job Qualifications and Experience:
1. Two years of experience implementing public health or policy campaigns or other relevant experience;
2. Proven ability to think strategically and conceptually about project outcomes and goals as well as follow through on tactical plans and actions;
3. Ability to establish solid working relationships with culturally diverse communities possessing a wide variety of community attitudes and standards for behavior;
4. Excellent public speaking skills and experience;
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
6. Excellent computer skills and knowledge including word processing and PowerPoint;
7. Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment;
8. Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously;
9. Ability to work independently; and
10. Willingness to work periodic weekends and/or evenings and to travel.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience;
2. Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans;
3. Experience working with news outlets/reporters;
4. Advocacy experience;
5. Experience in data analysis and/or evaluation.
Must have valid California Driver’s License and own an insured, reliable vehicle to use during work.
No relocation assistance available.
This is a part-time (20 hours a week) position with health coverage and other generous benefits. Position will require FBI background check/fingerprinting and drug testing.
See website: www.publicstrategies.org for descriptions of current and past projects.
Email cover letter, resume, and minimum salary requirements in Word or PDF format.
In accordance with ADA guidelines, reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities that are otherwise qualified and able to perform the functions of this position.
The Institute for Public Strategies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff.