INSTITUTE OF READING DEVELOPMENT Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and challenging work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 1, 2015
This was a seasonal job where I have now worked for two seasons.the job is very fast paced with extremely heavy call volume throughout the season. I truly enjoyed my experience at IRD. The company provides excellent mentoring and training.The Management team is very knowledgeable,encouraging and supportive.
Pros
Work from home, flexible shifts, great management team
Cons
Seasonal work
Great training and support from supervisors
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2015
I loved teaching for the Institute of Reading Development. The training was very thorough and I felt well-prepared when my summer of teaching began. Working with different age levels was challenging, but rewarding. There is some travel, moving lots of materials back and forth, and the teaching position is only 10 weeks with no real option for continuing employment after the summer ends. The experience I received from IRD was invaluable. Although there are drawbacks, IRD is up front and honest about what you should expect.
Pros
training, independence, support from supervisors
Cons
pay, moving materials to class, short temporary job
Not recommended
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMay 19, 2015
Not recommended for those not wanting to apply manipulative selling practices and emotional leveraging beyond ethical best practice standards. Training is insufficient for set goals.
Pros
Remote work from home
Cons
Manipulative and unethical selling practices. Outdated classroom teaching practices.
6 Days
Enrollment Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  At HomeApril 27, 2015
Took over a month and multiple interviews to be hired, then 6 days over two weeks of training and I passed every quiz (open book although I didn't take advantage), with a score over 90%. We lost 13 from start of training to finish.
Point being it was a lot of trouble for me and expense for them to get us working on the phone.
Actually I liked the job. My manager said that I was closing sales and sounded just like they wanted, asking all the right questions, following the script, the only worm in the ointment was that my capture rate was too low. Capture is getting the callers name, address, email, phone#, and kids info to make it possible for unlimited follow up.
To make a long story short, I was given only 5 days on the phone and cut loose after the 1st call on the 6th, because my capture rate was just 50%, although I brought it up from 42% the previous day. So if thinking about working here just keep in mind that every day could be your last, depending on how management feels when they wake up that day.
Pros
Relatively easy job, helping people help their kids
Cons
You can be fired at any minute
Demanding but satisfying
Reading Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 17, 2014
IRD is a lovely company with great values and high standards. As a reading teacher, you get no job security or benefits, but the pay is good, especially for those who have just graduated and/or don't have a ton of experience teaching, or are looking for a summer job only. The management is exceptional.
I enjoyed helping people improve their reading skills and working from home the last 2 years there.
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJune 5, 2013
I took incoming calls from people interested in our reading programs and blended customer service with strong listening to understand what they were hoping to receive purchasing this product for their struggling children. Management was helpful and supportive the 6 years I was there; my co-workers were friends; and the hardest part of the job was over the last few months there, learning how to demand people buy the product rather than explain how it worked and listen to their reasons for wanting it. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to many people all day long.
Pros
free coffee, tea, hot chocolate in the lunch room.
Cons
no breaks.
Excellent opportunity to help others improve their reading skills.
SUPPORT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAApril 14, 2012
If the commute had not been so tough on my truck(it finally gave out) I believe I would still be there. Helping eval and get students into the appropriate program(s) was a joy. The works hours were excellent as I am an early riser and the people I worked with were a motivated group.
Pros
working with motivated people.
Cons
the commute, lack of public transportation to get there.
Great company!
Reading teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 27, 2013
The Institute of Reading Development is a great company with amazing pay and awesome supervisors! IRD caters to students who need a little extra help with their reading skills with a five week course. These classes are varied by age and grade level, and are located all over the US. As an instructor, I taught anywhere from 8-12 classes a week, and the class size varied on enrollment.
Pros
great summer job, great pay
Cons
no benefits
Caring environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMay 21, 2012
This company is all about giving a chance to children that have a hard time comprehending with their reading. I loved this job and would go back if they had a location in Sacramento. This is seasonal but the pay is exceptional with bonuses
Ok company to work for
TECHNICAL SUPPORT/NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 9, 2014
Pay not very good. No Advancement. Good People. Responsibilities are a few.
Pros
good people/teachers
Cons
pay
Great work from home sales position
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 4, 2015
You sit down, log on and the phone just starts to ring "IF" you are a top Enrollment Coordinator. The management has the process VERY simplified. You have amazing training and encouraging trainers. I learned not all script type jobs are the same and some really do make it extremely easy for you to sell.
Co-workers is not really something you experience. You talk to everyone and meet them via phone only and only through trainings. Hardest part of job for me was the technology always having issues. It plays a significant role in your sales and absolutely affects your paycheck in various ways. You are connected to their server and system using their hardware with exception of your internet connection and computer. They send you everything you need and are very good about it. The problem is that depending on your connection you can have a great experience one day and a horrid one the next. This is one main reason I chose not to return.
I absolutely loved talking to the parents and assisting them to enroll their child into a reading program that does work.
Pros
work from home, great training, pretty good commission
Cons
access to ird's systems having issues (drove me crazy)
Challenging job with rewards
Institute Instructor (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 20, 2013
While a summer instructor for the institute I was engaged in a thorough nearly month long training on the curriculum. I thought their training program was one of the best that I have been through. I learned so much and as I started into the independent teaching I gained so much personal growth through challenging myself. As an instructor you are responsible for making sure you are ready to go at any of the numerous facilities you may be scheduled to teach at, you have to be organized and flexible. The benefit: I got to travel and work with students of ALL age levels which I thoroughly enjoyed. I reported to an experienced supervisor regularly, which I appreciated, and made contact with parents over the phone as necessary. My personal communications skills increased and since I was instructing reading skills (my favorite subject) I became a better reader as well!
Pros
travel, decent compensation and reimbursement, thorough training and active support
Cons
long hours, rigorous schedule, physically demanding at times
Very Flexible
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 2, 2014
I love working for IRD as the management team is wonderful and the ability to work from home is very appealing.
Boring
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 17, 2012
Work from home attached to a headset.Not for a person who dislikes following a script.
Cons
poor support
Good Place to work if you want something temporary.
Home Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJuly 21, 2013
Good pay, hours good, seasonal. Management was responsive.