Intel Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,315 reviews matching the search
Good Company
Senior Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 25, 2016
12 hour shifts working on tools, but have to perform jobs outside the scope to be successful.
The training is very good if opportunity to work with FSEs
Management is difficult to read, constantly getting a new boss.
Co-workers are very good employees
Finding opportunities to maintain your success rating.
Good work/life experience
Pros
good benefits and bonuses
Cons
Not a lot of flexibility and very political
Overall Intel is a Great place to work
Software Configuration Management Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 25, 2016
Intel is a very interesting place to start a career. Some of my co-workers have move on to start business of their own. I like having to work hard to get ahead. I disagree with the ability of managers to stifle careers. Overall i enjoy this company
Pros
great place to work
Cons
managment
Working in a diverse quick paced atmosphere
SQA Lead / System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 25, 2016
Meetings to design and validate employee internal applications
I have learned how to adapt to many different situations
Management helps play a role in an employee's success and failure
I have worked with hundreds of US and non US based co-workers and have learned so much about people in this role
The hardest part of my job is when I am not busy - I need to stay busy
I enjoy new challenges that empower my abilities and desire to continue learning and growth.
Great company to work
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2016
I am still working at Intel and it a great company.
I developed windows kernel mode driver for the High speed Networking cards and truly enjoy with very talented people.
Pros
Great working conditions.
Cons
There are no cons
Productive Workplace
VMware Validation Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 25, 2016
Intel is a productive work environment that will allow you to work on on cutting edge technology and improve skills in different areas. However, there is little to no opportunities available for career advancement here.
Leading SoC maker
Sr. SoC Design/Verification/Validation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 24, 2016
Not only pioneer, but also keep wining in SoC, 3D interactive chip, and leading graphic card on 3D. Also supporting VR and AR API.
High standard company.
Competitive Work Environment
Tool Install Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 21, 2016
The work environment was very competitive. The diversity of the employees led to better group problem solving and solution generation.
Productive, Good job work/life balance
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 21, 2016
Very good company to be in.Very good job culture.Very good work environment. Good salary and perks.Really enjoying working here.
Intense Work Culture
Product Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 20, 2016
Intel was an excellent first job that really got me a feel for just about everything that goes on when making a chip, leading it through design in the fab all the way too finished products. Everyday was a challenge and it required 120% to be able to get your work done and retain all the information. The management I had was excellent, but work was always overwhelming. Probably the hardest part of the job was the time it took to get turn around time on issues. They usually required many reviews and meetings. The best part of the job were the people I worked with, they were very positive and I learned a lot from them.
Pros
Challenging environment, great benefits
Cons
slow turn around time
Big company with lots of small cogs
Graphics Hardware Debug Engineer (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAApril 20, 2016
I was thrilled to work there. My kids love watching the commercials and I was filled with mixed feelings every time they pointed out one of the stickers. If they only knew about how hard everyone needs to work there just to maintain sanity. Every month and project we are tasked with doing more with less resources. Not just software, but people (people who have experience or at least the desire to learn).

I've found that there are a lot of super stars, but it seems like they are all on the cusp of burning out.
Pros
Free coffee and fruit
Cons
Lots of pressure
Great place to work, career development opportunities, great culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Manufacturing site in USApril 20, 2016
Long-time employee, located at a major manufacturing site. Opportunities exist for those who are willing to stretch themselves and leverage resources for help in achieving goals.
Pros
Competitive compensation & benefits, smart people
Cons
Corporate America is driven by cyclic restructuring and layoffs, which can be unsettling
Innovative Company to work for with enjoyable co-workers.
Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 20, 2016
Challenging and Innovative workplace with all amenities every employee needs.
Learned how to break down multiple tasks using SCRUM methodology with various teams.
Different groups in Intel come together weekly once to process their tasks together.
Hardest part of the job was to reach out to the supervisors who were always busy, so little mentorship was given which transitioned me to independently work every task.
The co-workers are great and fun to work with, which made the job enjoyable everyday.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
compensation
nice to work
Hadoop Developer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 20, 2016
• Over 7 years of experience in the field of IT including two years of experience in Hadoop ecosystem and good object oriented programming skills
• Good knowledge of Hadoop Architecture and various components such as HDFS, Job Tracker, Task Tracker, Data Node, Name Node and Map-Reduce conceptsResponsible for writing Map Reduce programs.
• Experience in creating custom Lucene/Solr Query components.
• Experience in developing Shell scripts and Python Scripts for system management
Busy
LITHOGRAPHY LAYERS OWNER (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 19, 2016
Pretty good company. Nice benefits. not a good work life balance. Many layers of management. company may be too big to change things quickly frequent layoffs in recent years.
The best balance of work culture is this company.
RF integration engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 19, 2016
There is nothing to complain. One has to experience the several aspects of work like environment, quality of work, the systematic flow of work which is set.
Pros
Everything except cons
Cons
Acquiring a company every year it is difficult for them to provide lunches, perks, gifts etc, but would have loved if they gave.
Good and productive
Software Validation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 18, 2016
Good office environment. very productive. Easy to move inside the company. Peers are really helpful and always looking out to encourage leaders amongst fresh- mindsets
Very challening work environment. great advancement opty.
Technical Content Manager Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 18, 2016
Intel is a fantastic place to work. filled with best-in-class employees that push you to your limits. Each day was a learning experience when matched with various engineering teams.

Employees at Intel Corp. are highly educated and swift to make decisions. this provides a challenge in managing daily tasks as the expectations of performance are high.

Keeping up with the daily increasing demand on time and resources provides the balance challenges. Doing more with less is a daily occurrence and one must strive to fulfill those demands by seeking efficiencies to streamline processes.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Cons
worklife balalce becomes a challenge.
Numerous avenues for growth, excessive middle managment
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 17, 2016
Intel takes great lengths to ensure you are happy career by providing the opportunity for temporary assignments. Have been with the company for a number of years and have no major complaints about they treat their employees.
Great people, great, company
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 15, 2016
Working with amazing, smart people that push you to the best you can be. I have found that people are pretty open and willing to work across functions with each other to complete some amazing jobs.
Pros
Great coworkers, smart people
Cons
Can sometimes get lost with how large the company is
Want the truth? Check Intel's sales and employment track records
IT Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAApril 15, 2016
I spent nine years in Intel's IT Communications department, received all-positive reviews, and lost my job for being an underperforming employee. Why? The official word is that I didn't do enough my last couple of years to show personal growth in my job; not demonstrate enough of an interest to learn other things. The reality is that there simply wasn't anywhere else for me to go in my job, short of becoming a manager or leaving for another department. I'm in communications. What do I do next -- become an engineer?

Intel's big on "personal growth." They don't like it if you stay in one job too long; they'd rather have you move on to a different area after a few years. In theory, this creates a well-rounded employee. In practice, if forces you out of what you do best and into a role that you may not be suited for, which can lead to -- you guessed it -- subpar performance and loss of job. The company's executives face the same situation; there's been three different CIOs since 2008; our department had four managers in six years. You end up with a supervisor who isn't consistently trained, doesn't know all facets of their job (and who may have become a supervisor simply to show that crucial "growth") and makes mistakes that harm others' careers.

As a result, there's a lot of stress beneath the smiles people give as you walk down the hall.

And then there's company performance as a whole. Intel has had several boom and bust periods over the past 15 years, and when things are good, everybody's thrilled. The bonuses are great, raises actually take place, lots of perks are
  more... introduced or improved, and there's enough staff on hand to get the work done without 65-hour weeks. But when things slow down, the company -- especially its current CEO -- is quick to lop off a limb to save the tree. The trend is there: As soon as Intel hits roughly 100,000 employees, layoffs start and within 12-18 months it's back down to 85,000. Then hiring goes back up to 100,000-110,000, and things slow down and we're back to 85,000-plus. People have literally been told as they walk in the door that their department or team has been dissolved, and they're out of work.

So again, you're stressed. You shouldn't make any long-range plans, because you can't guarantee that you're really going to make it long enough to take your first sabbatical, or see that 10-year or 20-year anniversary stock bonus. You start to wonder which people on your team will be let go next, or if they'll ever replace the ones who retire or move out on their own. These days, the answer is probably "no." And, you begin to form the "better him than me" thoughts.

Lastly, there's the business culture under the current CEO. His publicly stated position is that Intel is a meritocracy; only the best should be kept, and any dead weight cast aside. It is, however, also acknowledged that occasionally, someone ends up in the wrong pile -- good or bad -- and if so, oh well, that's how it goes. The result is an employee base that doesn't entirely trust its management. Whatever you do can be viewed as a bad thing, regardless of how, if, or even when you did it. In a recent round of layoffs, he used evaluations going back three years to determine whether someone should be kept. Had a couple bad years two, three years ago, but a great one last year? Too bad...you're still dead weight. This past year must be a fluke. Did you just get a bad score this year? Too bad. We won't give you the chance to improve by next year because you're obviously dead weight. Besides, you're probably not going to work harder in your job if someone tells you that's what you'll have to do to keep it...right?

There's also the strange logic to his management. He nickles and dimes in the cost cutting -- eliminate a few small perks, cut a few heads from each department, change offerings in the cafeteria, etc. -- to save $400 million. Yet, the company will then spend $1 billion to buy three underperforming businesses. Intel's track record on their various ventures -- except maybe for its acquisition of McAfee a couple years ago -- has not been that good. Again, I'm not just shooting off my mouth here; this is all public record.

That said, I have to credit him with at least improving the company's perceived standing as a tech company. For years, Intel has suffered from bad timing. It entered the smartphone arena after it had peaked. The company didn't go into tablets until a couple years after everyone else. It pushed solid-state drives before people were ready. An attempt at a smartphone/tablet hybrid bombed. A joint venture with Apple lasted a year. These are all pre-current CEO items. The company hasn't had any major successes over the past couple of years, but there haven't been any disasters, either.

Intel has the potential to a great company. At the moment, it's merely treading water until the next big wave comes along. Don't turn down an opportunity to work there. But don't expect to end up with exactly what was promised.
Pros
Excellent pay for my field (average for the company overall), lots of opportunity for growth, good healthcare and retirement benefits, performance bonuses, generous vacation and sabbatical for the lesser-experienced.
Cons
Unstable employment climate, continual cost cutting, mandatory year-to-year job growth, evaluations are solely in the hands of your immediate manager

4.2