Intercept Youth Services Employee Reviews

Run! Don't Apply
Evening Support (Former Employee), RoanokeApril 15, 2015
Pros: Paycheck
Cons: Anthing bad that you can think of
Management is not professional and the turnover ration is very high. Company does not care about the youth's or employees and just expects to be paid for the placement of a youth. Went through 4 managers and 10 Life Skills Counselors in a year.
Great company to work for in the Mental Health field
Crisis Support Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great pay, good fringe benefits
The Supervisors are great and willing to help the employee to be successful in their positions. I have learned how a Mental Health Agency should respond to the community while in my position.
great team but work load is way too much!!!
TFC worker (Current Employee), Richmond TFC programApril 5, 2015
Pros: Salary is ok and the company provides good benefits. Flexible schedule is a plus.
Cons: High volume of paper work. Very challenging to stay on top of paper work without taking work home.
Intercept TFC program is growing rapidly. I have a good relationship with my coworkers and we defiantly do well functioning as a team. I have a caring and compassionate supervisor. What killed the job for me is the amount of paper work required for TFC. The paperwork is repetitive, long and arduous. It is rare that I am able to go one weekend without having to do paper work. Given the nature of the job it is difficult to schedule your day because you are responsible to cover crisis during the week for the client’s on you case load. I really wish there was a way to stream line the amount of paper work and reporting so it does not take as long to complete. You always feel like you are behind the eight ball in this position. To be successful in this position good time management and multi tasking skills are essential to success. I have had no negative experiences with management at this time. I personally believe the work load for this position is too much. Due to the overwhelming work load it is difficult to find time to construct psycho educational activates/ interventions to help address client’s behaviors. The company is currently working towards adding supports for my position to help manage the work load.
Horrible work environment, no consistent hours, and poor leadership is the IYS way.
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (TDT) (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 7, 2015
Pros: you only hear from management when you do something wrong, limited amount of work to do in school as you sit in classes all day, you won't have to endure this place for long, you will learn some good life lessons.
Cons: per management everything you do is wrong, you have to do a lot of work from home, because you sit in classes all day, you don't get paid when school is closed or on holiday, poor management, no leadership, zero cultural competency amongst supervisory staff, the agency is frowned upon.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids.

The hardest part of job is having to deal with the unnecessarily stressful work environment- a regional supervisor who changes your job description every day and blames it on her supervisor in Richmond. Management does not get you any of your paperwork on time but if you're late then you get written up. During my time with the company I've heard racial, homophobic and sexist comments made by supervisory staff. The job isn't hard but the environment is mentally exhausting. It's just not an organized or happy place to be.

Management seems to be in a fake it til we make it mindset. Sadly, they are just making things worse on the kids, their employees and unbeknownst to them, they are making things worse for themselves.

The coworkers are basically nonexistent. You work solo at your assigned school.

Typical day at work is a typical school day. You shadow kids around. If you want a challenging job- this isn't for you. If you want a job where you get to use your formal education- this isn't for you.

I am learning what I want and expect out of a company and what just doesn't cut it. I see all of the red flags to look for in my current job search.
If it appears to be too good to be true then it usually is...
Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee), RoanokeFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: when your check comes you can pay your bills
Cons: you have to use your personal cell phone for work, your cell phone reimbursement rate is a joke, unrealistic work load, no concern for ensuring proper tools are provided to complete your work, no training or support from management- it's nonexistent, isolated from other staff, hostile environment promoted by program coordinators, not able to use therapeutic interventions while kids are in classes, the company lacks a good reputation within the community, you are getting a dead-end job not a career
Recruiting- typically recruits younger, just out of school staff from all areas. This isn't to provide a diversified staff but to get employees that have no kids or obligations to relocate for the job and then make the job their life. A lot of this process is smoke and mirrors to get you hooked.
Pay- on paper it looks good. They tell you a year's salary upfront but don't tell you that you won't get FT hours due to school breaks, snow closings and teacher work days. You are required to work more than 8 hours a day you have school but don't get paid for more than 8 hours.
Daily- you work at a site by yourself. This job is very lonely as you only interact with your clients. You do not get to use therapeutic skills except on rare occasions or in small amounts throughout the day. You are going to classes with kids all day. You may have to be in 6 places at one time. You spend your days doing rounds in the hallway. You are supposed to have a maximum of 6 kids but often have over the billable amount allowed. You are still expected to complete all paperwork for all clients with no assistance, support, or flexibility given from management. After working all day you have to go home and do a good 3 hours of work without pay and take calls from parents at all hours.
Coworkers- they are great but you have very little interaction with them. They are always changing due to high turnover rate. Some leave voluntarily and others are let go for the most pointless things. You are required to pick up slack when others leave. Counselors are always being shifted around in order for the company to – more... make the most money without the program coordinators having to do any work.
I have learned- Virginia is an "at will" state, they can fire you at any time and don't have to have a reason. And that a when you take an approach of quantity over quality- you fail. That's the approach this company takes.
Management- generally less educated/experienced than those they are supervising. Create an environment of uneasiness, stress, confusion, and fear. It seems to be in an effort to keep everyone distracted and prevent anyone from figuring out what's behind the green curtain! You won't get any clinical supervision as boasted on the website. You won't even get any staff development training. You will be told changes in policy and new policy on a frequent basis, not given anything in writing, and be expected to read minds.
Hardest part- no clear guidelines, no motivation, no acknowledgement, no feeling of job security.
Easiest part- the job, working with the kids. How they get away with billing the high rate (for each kid per hour) to state paid insurance is beyond me. However, spending your days keeping up with the kids requires you to work may hours at home.
Advice- before you take a leap into this company do your research. Read the real reviews left by actual employees on this and other sites (it's pretty obvious the ones that have been completed by HR). Look up the position you're applying to and see how many times it's been listed in the past few years. Don't just trade your life for some magic beans. – less
This could be a great job but the company is money driven and cares nothing about the clients or staff.
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee), Lexington, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: co-workers are educated, driven and great to deal with, you have limited interaction with the "powers that be"
Cons: lots of working off the clock, uneducated staff in "supervisory" role, no clinical supervision as promised, no staff training, management level staff is lazy and much into gossip, no concern with staff well-being or retention, money driven- not client focused
This position requires you to work a full 8 hour school day with no breaks. You have to then go home and complete hours of paperwork and notes- as well as take calls from parents and your supervisor (at all hours). You often have more clients than allowed by Medicaid. You are required to provide services to all clients and told to manipulate billing (aka commit fraud) due to the amount of clients, or credit more hours when school is dismissing early, etc. The school staff, other counselors, client's and families are great to deal with. They make the job worth doing. The area "supervisor" lacks in education and experience but is advanced in trying to create a hostile working environment and making discriminatory comments. The regional director provides the bare minimum oversight to the program. There is no clinical supervision provided although it is promised as a part of the job. There is a very high turn over rate due to unhappy employees and/or the fact that they take full advantage of the "at will" employment policy. If they don't like you- you're gone, regardless if you work hard and with no consideration for the clients. TDT positions are rewarding- I would just suggest that you go with a more reputable company. There is a reason that this company always has multiple jobs posted and the same jobs reposted over and over again.
Solid Company
Therapeutic Day Treatment Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 9, 2015
Therapeutic Day Treatment in rural communities allows for genuine services to take place for students at risk. Structured public school schedule allowed for work-life balance.
productive
Activites Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: changing lives
Cons: no break
The job was fun and productive. Everyone did what they were supposed to do. Which made the job that much easier. Everyone got along which made it an healthy working environment.
If you want to help kids/ youth, don't work here!
Evening Support Counselor (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAFebruary 1, 2015
Intercept is greedy and selfish. They don't care about their employees or their clients. They only care about money! No benefits! No advancement! No money! No, no, no!
Great support through the treatment team.
Intensive In-Home Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great support
Cons: many hours to see clients, do paper work, and keep up with education.
The support from the supervisors and the other counselors were a blessing to say the least. In-Home can be a demanding job emotionally. Knowing that there are people to support you was very beneficial.
I feel productive workplace is where everyone works as a team to get the job.
Staff Supervisor (Current Employee), Richmond, VANovember 13, 2014
A typical work day for me would be me getting all information needed to be able to complete my job assignment by the end of the day. I've learn that everyone is not going to be a team player but that should not stop you from going above and beyond even if it means you have to do extra to make up for what someone else have not done. I feel we must have effective management in order to maintain a healthy work environment. The hardest part about a job is probably my coworkers due to the fact that you are dealing with so many different personalities. You have to learn to be able to keep a professional and respectful attitude even if you feel you're not receiving it in return. My most enjoyable part of my day is completing all my assignments and being able to go home knowing that I have done all that was expected of me.
It sounded good, but they're set in stone
Intercept (Former Employee), LexingtonOctober 2, 2014
Refused to negotiate salary (considering that is what the recruiter told me to put down on application after initial interview), refused to reimburse mileage (expected myself to commute more than 60 miles for "we don't know how long, until other office is open" when the job title was located within 5 miles of me, and finally refused to cooperate with negotiating start date, Nothing was communicated in writing, I would email my questions and their response was always a phone call back it was always over the phone (red flag)..
Easy, Fun Work
Evening Support Counselor (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VaSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: ample down time, unpredictable days, bonding with youth
Cons: lack of management, no part time benefits
This position is dependent upon the youth that you support. Difficult cases call for difficult days. I enjoy the outtings with the youth and building relationships with them. We do a lot of driving/transporting but it makes the time go by faster. Great position for students and recent college grads.
exhausting and paperwork intensive
INTENSIVE IN HOME COUNSELOR (Current Employee), roanokeAugust 14, 2014
flexible/inflexible schedule. You are at the mercy of the clients availability. Your income is determined by their participation in services. There is minimal interaction with co-workers and the paperwork load make conversations non-existent.
Poor Management, Lacks in supporting staff throughout change, and seeks personal co. growth over stability of clientele.
Clinician (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 26, 2014
Pros: working in field with clientele witnessing change
Cons: management dictating changes for personal growth
Negative environment to work in, when in reality you want to make a difference in ones life as a Social Work/Human Resources entity. Upper Management within the Valley showed little regard to staff growth, financial being, or job security in times of need throughout government changes. Selfish interpretations of regulations devised to create profit for company, rather than stability of clientele. This resulted in loss of services and staff.
Great place and awesome staff
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 6, 2014
Great place to work. Staff are friendly and enjoy getting along
Very Challenging, and rewarding
Relief Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: free movies
Cons: it's parttime, no benefits
Teaching at Risk youth various life skills, so that when they age out the program thy would be on the fast track to normalization. As team we provide a service to the youth based, sometimes on our personal life experiences. The most enjoyable part of the jobs is knowing that they are buying in to what we counseling, by going to school, opening an account and managing their own funds. The Hardest part is working with the various behaviors that most at risk youth have, like depression and sometimes suicidal tendencies. The company that I work for trains it's employers for such situations, as i'm trained in various Restraints and preventions
Challenging, engaging, fun.
360˚ Therapeutic Mentor & Life-Skills Coach (Former Employee), Richmond, VaOctober 9, 2013
Pros: great leaders, great co-workers, wonderful kids (clients)
Cons: because i was part time i could not get health benefits
Best job I ever had. Working with youth as a mentor was the most fulfilling job, personally and professionally.
loved my job
Activities Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 23, 2013
was a great experience, enjoy working with youth Documented a recreational assessment on each resident within 30 days of admissions and every month thereafter.
● Provided programs and residents with recreational resources in the community by establishing a recreational resource
manual.
● Encouraged residents input in activity planning and posted a monthly calendar of recreational activities.
● Acted as a liaison between local recreation resources and community home.
● Participated in team meetings, reporting on resident needs, individual goals and goal progress.
● Accompanied and directly supervised residents on outings, activities, and appointments in the community
Loved the company
Mentor/Supervisor/Group Home Employee (Current Employee), Richmond VAMay 6, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours
- I love the company as a whole and wish that I was not laid off from working with them.