Intercept Youth Services

Intercept Youth Services Employer Reviews

Poor Management, Lacks in supporting staff throughout change, and seeks personal co. growth over stability of clientele.
Clinician (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 26, 2014
Pros: working in field with clientele witnessing change
Cons: management dictating changes for personal growth
Negative environment to work in, when in reality you want to make a difference in ones life as a Social Work/Human Resources entity. Upper Management within the Valley showed little regard to staff growth, financial being, or job security in times of need throughout government changes. Selfish interpretations of regulations devised to create profit – more... for company, rather than stability of clientele. This resulted in loss of services and staff. – less
Great place and awesome staff
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 6, 2014
Great place to work. Staff are friendly and enjoy getting along
Very Challenging, and rewarding
Relief Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: free movies
Cons: it's parttime, no benefits
Teaching at Risk youth various life skills, so that when they age out the program thy would be on the fast track to normalization. As team we provide a service to the youth based, sometimes on our personal life experiences. The most enjoyable part of the jobs is knowing that they are buying in to what we counseling, by going to school, opening an account – more... and managing their own funds. The Hardest part is working with the various behaviors that most at risk youth have, like depression and sometimes suicidal tendencies. The company that I work for trains it's employers for such situations, as i'm trained in various Restraints and preventions – less
Challenging, engaging, fun.
360˚ Therapeutic Mentor & Life-Skills Coach (Former Employee), Richmond, VaOctober 9, 2013
Pros: great leaders, great co-workers, wonderful kids (clients)
Cons: because i was part time i could not get health benefits
Best job I ever had. Working with youth as a mentor was the most fulfilling job, personally and professionally.
loved my job
Activities Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 23, 2013
was a great experience, enjoy working with youth Documented a recreational assessment on each resident within 30 days of admissions and every month thereafter.
● Provided programs and residents with recreational resources in the community by establishing a recreational resource
manual.
● Encouraged residents input in activity planning and posted a monthly – more... calendar of recreational activities.
● Acted as a liaison between local recreation resources and community home.
● Participated in team meetings, reporting on resident needs, individual goals and goal progress.
● Accompanied and directly supervised residents on outings, activities, and appointments in the community – less
Loved the company
Mentor/Supervisor/Group Home Employee (Current Employee), Richmond VAMay 6, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours
- I love the company as a whole and wish that I was not laid off from working with them.
The Kids are Great, but Deserve Better
Senior Staff Member (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 28, 2013
Pros: every residence has some great, caring staff and fantastic kids
Cons: poor compensation, turnover, inadequate management and over reliance on part-time employees with no benefits
Intercept Youth Services attempts to provide stability, education, care and recreation for some great kids with difficulties. Unfortunately, the program is run so that turnover is very high and there is insufficient communication and support among staff. This undermines the program's services. Intercept's clients need many things, but instability is – more... not one of them.

Some of the residences are much better than others and quality is very much dependent on the Program Manager. Some tolerate blatant violations of rules by staff and residents and these are horrible situations for everyone involved. In the worst cases, the residences are closed, but most often they limp along for long periods with a succession of mediocre managers and frustrated staff. – less
professional
Life Skills Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 14, 2012
This was a professioal and well organized company. They demonstrated employee values and provided opportunities for advancement.
Follow up to "ok place"
Mentor Department Senior Supervisor (Former Employee), VirginiaOctober 29, 2012
Pros: great expense reimbursement plan, benefits, employees, management
I would like to follow up to the posting for what the previous Intercept Youth Services Mentoring Supervisor tried to portray about the company and/or department.

I held the title for the state of Virginia (including Roanoke, VA) "Senior Program Supervisor" for the 360 Therapeutic Mentoring Department. I am no longer a supervisor and therefore this – more... posting shows no benefit or personal gain. Nor was I approached by anyone to respond to the comment. I am just appalled at the statements made about the department and want to make sure that anyone that is applying for the position would not be deterred.

The mentoring department has several policies that are in place in order to protect the employee's reasonable expense reimbursement plan. This includes the following:
• Turning the reports by a curtain time (giving the supervisor 2/3 weeks to review and turn them in.)
• The only delay is when the employee or supervisor fails to get the reports in on time.
• The accounting department has the same policy for all other departments and are prompt and acurate (Please note none of the other reviews stated reimbursement was an issue.)

I was an employee with the department before the current director started and worked with her throughout my employment. When she started with the department she had a assessment period in which she found that clients where not being seen, data and paperwork was not being done correctly and the supervisors at the time were not following company policy.

She at that point worked for several months to train in efforts help the program with the current staff. She promoted me in order to help with the training because there was such an issue (especially in the Roanoke area) that she as a director could not take on and uphold her duties.

As for the referral and marketing aspect of the department the numbers of actual clients once they were properly documented exceeded budgeting expectations by 50% (this is an accurate percentage) and funding sources where ecstatic because they were getting the needed and truthful services and documentation.

The proper staff was “weeded out” not because of unprofessional treatment by the director or any other management. It was their unprofessional codes of morals and ethics.

I speak highly of the department because it's professionalism, current staff and their love for the kids. I would encourage anyone who responds to the job gets the detailed facts.

I would also encourage the upset or aggravated leave their venting to Facebook. Please keep it professional as this is a website for the professionals seeking employment. – less
Ok place
Mentoring supervisor (Former Employee), Roanoke vaOctober 22, 2012
Pros: paid miles
Cons: no support locally
The mentoring dept is run by a clueless person who doesn't know what type of services are provided. No clue of how to get clients just how to run people off. Extremely unprofessional cursing at
staff. Company accountant lost areas paperwork and refused to pay the expenses when found in her office until the next month which cost the company several good – more... employees – less
Intercept Youth's Benefits
Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 1, 2012
Pros: open door policy, great employees who take pride in their work helping clients
Like many companies, health and vacation benefits through Intercept are only available to full time employees.

However, the benefit plans that are provided are very good, health, dental, life, disability, generous vacation time and the company pays up to 95% of the cost of health and dental benefits.

Many of the jobs are entry level, so there is turnover – more... as employees advance to more responsibility. Many employees prefer stable day hours such as with the state or local government or school based jobs as well, and move on to these positions after gaining experience. – less
Previous Employee
Program Manager (Current Employee), RichmondSeptember 15, 2012
Pros: internal review system, bottom of the barrel health benefits, but at least it's something
Cons: poor, non-professional management styles, constant change, no stability for kids
A typical day at work was that you just never knew what the day would hold. This is consistent while working with children in need of these services. However, the turnover rate was horrible and this put a ton of stress on the employees left behind. Also, they regularly change policies and tack on extra duties without compensating for the work.

I learned – more... that although there is an open door policy after failed attempts to resolve an issue - anyone who felt the need to have a conversation with someone at the main office, were shunned or experienced repercussions that were not worth the attempt to get an issue resolved. Management says that they will provide opportunities to all employees who demonstrate excellence in their position, but I found that promotion, starting pay and pay increases seem to follow the same pattern for certain persons and not others.

They have an excellent internal review process & team that helps keep the workplace up to par. The company does try to ensure that the state laws, licensure, and Human Rights guidelines are followed. But the work place hostility and turmoil throughout the company, in my experience, overshadow that they are at least trying to do what they are supposed to do as a licensed provider. If possible take a pass or just prepare for bad attitude and lots of yelling, smoke and mirrors. – less
Work experience
Life Skills Coach (Current Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2012
Pros: direct contact with clients
Cons: no lunch break, no vacations days or sick leave or holidays
As a Life Skills Coach, my days are busy, long and quite packed. I am constantly on the go. However, I am learning to have better time-management skills, which is the hardest component of my job. As a LSC, you have to balance your time with your clients and time for paperwork, which can be overwhelming at times. However, I love that I get to interact – more... with my clients on a daily basis and in a more informal setting. – less
Productive Workplace
Residential Day Counselor (Current Employee), Roanoke, VAJuly 11, 2012
-Full-time Mon-Fri shift.
-Administrative role excells at Compliance of documentation
-Fair and Consistent
-Coworkers works well with others, personable
-None. Handles constructive criticism well.
-Team player, communication, effectiveness
Structured and Fair
Overnight Counselor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 6, 2012
Monitored residents throughout the night, supervised morning chores, completed nightly documentation and provided crisis itervention.