Intercept Youth Services Employee Reviews in United States

A positive family environment with lots of fun activities
Residential Flex Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Intercept. I learned alot from interacting with the clients. The working enviroment was a positive atmosphere. When a crisis occurred we worked as a team to resolve the conflict. The owner care about the clients being sucessful after they graduated from the program. I worked as a residential flex counselor for three years and I received CPR training and Administrining Medication Training.
Pros
Interaction with trouble youths and you can make an impact in a young person life.
Cons
the health benefits are not that good
Very crooked management..
Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 27, 2016
I had to move and they told me I could transfer. They later told me that I was 'ineligible for rehire' because I did not submit a two weeks notice, but I let them know a month in advance though...I even forwarded the emails for proof to HR and they never responded back. So much for this company having 'values and morals'...no wonder the turnover rate is so high.
Pros
Very easy and chill work environment. Working with the youth. Decent hours.
Cons
Pay sucks, No benefits for part-time employees. No advancement opportunities, They lie on their employees
terrible company
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2016
Terrible company to work for! Upper management is totally clueless to program needs and money obsessed. When you question values, you are bullied out. Impossible to be on call 24/7 and maintain a private life. No support or respect from upper management, leading to incredibly high turnover.
Pros
clients are great, but lets face it you can better serve them in a healthier environment
Cons
completely toxic place to work, run dont walk away from this place
Not a good stable place to work
Evening support (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 2, 2016
When population is down, they take away your hours without notice. I worked there for three years, and there were 4 different supervisors that came and went. The company is a joke. All about that dollar. The only thing they provide for the kids is a place to sleep. The kids get nothing from this program. If I remember correctly they may have had one success story. Maybe.
Pros
Pay check
Confused work environment, lack of leadership and nepotism.
Life Skills Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 11, 2016
Best part of position was working with teens and teaching them life skills. Management, direction and leadership are minimal at best. Lack of vision, professionalism and consistency interferes with daily job duties.... Favoritism/nepotism smh!!! Training is non-existent!
Pros
Working within passion, group sessions
Cons
Weekends, coverage & too many evenings... Nepotism
A wonderful job!
Flex Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 20, 2015
I love this place of employment. The culture, management, flexibility, etc are wonderful. Although this location does not have a lot of opportunities for job growth, the home location does. The staff is awesome. Once you start working at this location it is hard to leave. I LOVE THIS COMPANY!
This job is for those who have a passion to work with children
Resident Flex Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 2, 2016
Great place to work if you have a strong passion to work with children who have emotional and behavioral disorders. I enjoyed my time working for this company.
The Kids are Great, but Deserve Better
Senior Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 28, 2013
Intercept Youth Services attempts to provide stability, education, care and recreation for some great kids with difficulties. Unfortunately, the program is run so that turnover is very high and there is insufficient communication and support among staff. This undermines the program's services. Intercept's clients need many things, but instability is not one of them.

Some of the residences are much better than others and quality is very much dependent on the Program Manager. Some tolerate blatant violations of rules by staff and residents and these are horrible situations for everyone involved. In the worst cases, the residences are closed, but most often they limp along for long periods with a succession of mediocre managers and frustrated staff.
Pros
every residence has some great, caring staff and fantastic kids
Cons
poor compensation, turnover, inadequate management and over reliance on part-time employees with no benefits
great team but work load is way too much!!!
TFC worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond TFC programApril 5, 2015
Intercept TFC program is growing rapidly. I have a good relationship with my coworkers and we defiantly do well functioning as a team. I have a caring and compassionate supervisor. What killed the job for me is the amount of paper work required for TFC. The paperwork is repetitive, long and arduous. It is rare that I am able to go one weekend without having to do paper work. Given the nature of the job it is difficult to schedule your day because you are responsible to cover crisis during the week for the client’s on you case load. I really wish there was a way to stream line the amount of paper work and reporting so it does not take as long to complete. You always feel like you are behind the eight ball in this position. To be successful in this position good time management and multi tasking skills are essential to success. I have had no negative experiences with management at this time. I personally believe the work load for this position is too much. Due to the overwhelming work load it is difficult to find time to construct psycho educational activates/ interventions to help address client’s behaviors. The company is currently working towards adding supports for my position to help manage the work load.
Pros
Salary is ok and the company provides good benefits. Flexible schedule is a plus.
Cons
High volume of paper work. Very challenging to stay on top of paper work without taking work home.
Great company to work for in the Mental Health field
Crisis Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 6, 2015
The Supervisors are great and willing to help the employee to be successful in their positions. I have learned how a Mental Health Agency should respond to the community while in my position.
Pros
Great pay, good fringe benefits
Very Challenging, and rewarding
Relief Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Teaching at Risk youth various life skills, so that when they age out the program thy would be on the fast track to normalization. As team we provide a service to the youth based, sometimes on our personal life experiences. The most enjoyable part of the jobs is knowing that they are buying in to what we counseling, by going to school, opening an account and managing their own funds. The Hardest part is working with the various behaviors that most at risk youth have, like depression and sometimes suicidal tendencies. The company that I work for trains it's employers for such situations, as i'm trained in various Restraints and preventions
Pros
free movies
Cons
it's parttime, no benefits
It sounded good, but they're set in stone
Intercept (Former Employee) –  LexingtonOctober 2, 2014
Refused to negotiate salary (considering that is what the recruiter told me to put down on application after initial interview), refused to reimburse mileage (expected myself to commute more than 60 miles for "we don't know how long, until other office is open" when the job title was located within 5 miles of me, and finally refused to cooperate with negotiating start date, Nothing was communicated in writing, I would email my questions and their response was always a phone call back it was always over the phone (red flag)..
Intercept Youth's Benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 1, 2012
Like many companies, health and vacation benefits through Intercept are only available to full time employees.

However, the benefit plans that are provided are very good, health, dental, life, disability, generous vacation time and the company pays up to 95% of the cost of health and dental benefits.

Many of the jobs are entry level, so there is turnover as employees advance to more responsibility. Many employees prefer stable day hours such as with the state or local government or school based jobs as well, and move on to these positions after gaining experience.
Pros
open door policy, great employees who take pride in their work helping clients
Easy, Fun Work
Evening Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VaSeptember 25, 2014
This position is dependent upon the youth that you support. Difficult cases call for difficult days. I enjoy the outtings with the youth and building relationships with them. We do a lot of driving/transporting but it makes the time go by faster. Great position for students and recent college grads.
Pros
ample down time, unpredictable days, bonding with youth
Cons
lack of management, no part time benefits
If you want to help kids/ youth, don't work here!
Evening Support Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 1, 2015
Intercept is greedy and selfish. They don't care about their employees or their clients. They only care about money! No benefits! No advancement! No money! No, no, no!
Productive fun place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  VA,VANovember 10, 2015
I enjoyed working at Intercept Youth Services because the people were very personable and like helping one another. I also enjoyed interacting with the parents and children. What made my job exciting was to experience of situations that would come up with the parents, some were funny, some were just out of this world. Those were Fun times...
I like working wiht the clientel I have.
Special Education Teacher Positions (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 26, 2015
Intercept is run by a strong believer and I highly respect him. However i see some inequalities down the ladder with people who are directly over me. I like everyone i work wiht and I love teaching children. I especially like my TA.
bad place
IH (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 11, 2016
Are you kidding? beginning with promises never provided, denying promises, promises upon hiring for on-sight licensure supervision, false advertising, constant CONSTANT changes in supervisors (counted a minimum of 6 a year and sometimes more), no sense of team work, no team activities/events, unrealistic expectations and petty behaviors out of director so far as to having an employee actually "take names" of those risking their life to come in to the office to turn in their paperwork by early morning deadline when schools and roads were closed, extremely dangerous conditions, and even she nor supervisors couldn't make it in, promises upon hiring regarding getting paid during the first 30 days based on your weekly average to 3 new employees and then denying the promise 30 days later resulting in extreme hardships waiting 10 weeks for initial pay, never called in unless there was a problem in which you were not allowed to provide explanation or misconceptions or constant miscommunications where they have you already formally "written-up" and your basically forced to sign or otherwise you would have no job, extremely unprofessional supervisors who have trouble making decisions on their own, consult others in management. then supervisors/management changes so frequently, they ultimately blame the employee, constant firing evident by director standing over employee at every move, even gathering their personal effects until they leave the building (I mean what could someone want, a paperclip, ink pen, etc), unethical billing practices and some double billing standards, incredible  more... GREED going to extreme extents to BILL BILL BILL!!! No compassion or care for employees; never knew the first thing about FMLA or any other normal business practice where the employee may be entitled some rights, crazy irrational and unprofessional hiring of supervisors as far as hiring "package deals" in order to get a promising young puppet. Unfair practices regarding licensure supervision rushing through the select few while others who were promised in house supervision were tossed to the side. And finally, treating employees extremely unprofessional and unethical ...I probably should check into that...after all, I do have two such instances voice recorded on my phone,  less
Pros
really! did you read above
Cons
read above
Keep Moving
Night staff, day staff, then Life Skills Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke,vaMay 12, 2015
I worked for Intercept for nearly 4 years. During that time I worked under 5 executive directors and countless other supervisors. When I became a supervisor, the problems only increased. Corporate was not supportive of the staff at all; they only wanted to keep things just "good enough" that there wasn't a big issue and after that they didn't care. There was horribly unreasonable oversight issues as well as lack of honesty within the managerial staff. The consistency that the children need is not there at Intercept. I am actually surprised that after all this time that they are still operating. I wouldn't put myself in that position ever again and neither should you.
Pros
Work with kids that need help
Cons
supervision, support (lack there of), oversight for supervisors, and shady corporate.
Nice place to be
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2015
Helpful people. Nice place to work. I enjoy the children. It's fun to provide therapy and to interact with many different people on a daily basis.
Pros
Kids are sweet
Cons
Working in a school isn't for me

Intercept Youth Services Reviews by Location