The simple recipe for wild success in tech has always been: make a great product and sell it well.
Every day, people say things like this about Intercom:
Have said it before, but have genuinely never been more impressed with a web product than @intercom - simple concept brilliantly executed — http://ntr.cm/7n5W
We're hiring a Head of Product Marketing because it's now time to sell as well as we delight our customers.
About the company and the product
Intercom, Inc. is just over one year old. In 2012 we raised $1M, grew the team from 4 to 14, and started charging. In early 2013 we’ll announce the next generation of our product, plus some exciting traction and revenue.
The company is founded by two designers and two engineers who've spent the past 5 years building web products and companies together. Originally from Ireland, we've based our engineering office in Dublin and set up our headquarters in San Francisco.
At the our core of our culture is a passion for simple, well designed software that solves real problems for many people. We care far more about creating something great than having people think we’re great. We make decisions based on principles, values, and instinct, rather than following trends.
Our mission is to make web business personal. As software "eats the world", all businesses are becoming web businesses. The potential for these businesses to sell to and support customers at scale is truly awesome. But the "low touch" approach this requires has a nasty side-effect: businesses don't know or talk to the people who use their product, and customers don't know or talk to the people who make the product. Intercom fixes this.
It’s a product with three integrated parts:
1. Discover: A live database of users, allowing business people to understand who's using their product and how.
2. Engage: An outbound communications tool which lets businesses manually or automatically send personalised, targeted messages to their customers to drive usage of their product.
3. Respond: A customer service tool designed to allow businesses to support their customers quickly and in a personal manner.
Together and separately, we think these products and our plans for them are highly innovative. From a product perspective, think of Intercom as a brand new way to understand, reach out to, and respond to your customers. From a marketing point of view, think of Intercom as a business with the potential to disrupt Salesforce, Marketo, and Zendesk.
Intercom is installed in thousands of web products and tracks many millions of users.
About the role
This is our first marketing hire. The Head of Product Marketing will work directly with the CEO and have the opportunity to grow a team.
They will be responsible for:
1. Knowing what jobs the market wants done, and what the competition is offering.
2. Collaborating with product management to deliver products that best do these jobs, and at the right price for the customer and the company.
3. Owning the positioning and messaging of these products, and finding ways to describe them in the simplest and most enticing fashion possible.
4. Running projects to create the content required to communicate this.
As we expand our business management team, they will either work alongside other marketing roles or move into Head of Marketing and hire for Product Marketing, Inbound Marketing, PR, etc.
3+ years of web product marketing experience in a startup
Enterprise / B2B software experience
Very strong written and visual communication skills
Excellent people and management skills
Design understanding and experience