Interlochen Center for the Arts Employee Reviews

A dynamic environment
Front Desk Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MISeptember 4, 2017
It was a pleasure to work at the Stone Hotel at Interlochen Center for the Arts. The guests were cordial, the work interesting and clear, and the atmosphere was accepting and exemplified a commitment to the arts.
Exciting place to work
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIAugust 1, 2017
IAA is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the environment is awesome. They treat people fair and with respect. Great things are happening all the time.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
can't think of any cons
Overall nice place to work
Purchasing Assistant & Copy Room Clerk (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJune 30, 2017
Interlochen is a nice place to work if you find the right position in the right department. In my department, they are very flexible when you need time for personal things.
Pros
Free Lunch, Good Benefits, Discounts
Cons
Pay
Company is on the downfall.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIAugust 18, 2016
As an employee, this job starts out great... when it was 10 years ago. Now there is new management that coves up any issues. Favors the older workers, and piles the workload on the your ones. I guess it would be a great job if you are 70 years+. There are certain departments that are just falling apart and management does nothing about it.
Pros
Coworker relatinships
Cons
Employee Favoritism, poor management, horrible food, not enough pay for job
its been a while
Residence Hall Manager (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIApril 17, 2016
It's been some years since I worked here. It wasn't a terrible experience, however, there were some issues with the division of the workload (multiple people with the same job and title having less responsibility than others, with no difference in pay. This was an issue for me so I tried to negotiate a change in work or pay and was declined so I left.
The kids are great, they are the reason to work here.
If you like the outdoors this could be a dream job. If you don't you may struggle. There isn't much of a community, at least during the academic year. the nearby city has a few basic things, it really lacks diversity, though. there really isn't a nightlife.
Now, I could be wrong, it was several years ago. but I'm pretty sure there are bear near campus and the area is just as conservative as before.
Pros
the kids for sure, the breaks
Cons
no social life, in the woods, bear, compensation
Excellent Arts School with a cutting edge mission
Executive Director, HR & Operations (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIMarch 8, 2016
I am on Senior Staff so I think I would be biased and choose not to comment at this time. Thank you. It is a great and wonderful place to work.
Pros
Free lunch, Great Benefits
Gained Experience
Sound/Lighting Technician (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJuly 29, 2015
It was an experiencing job. I worked with various people from around the country who studied in the same field I was. I learned so many things while working there. and I enjoyed every moment working at Interlochen. I would recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Great working environment, free meals, and lodging
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work, hard to make a career of
Kiln Manager (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJune 15, 2015
Interlochen was an incredible place to spend a summer and get some work experience. Their facilities are top notch and their staff is world class. Pay however is lacking and you will sacrifice your social life during that time.
Pros
Incredible facilities, world class staff, beautiful campus, great opportunities and connections
Cons
no freedom, very little pay and time off, must abide by restrictive campus lifestyle, little opportunity for social connection and recreation outside of campus
Transportation Department
Full time transportation (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIApril 12, 2015
Very friendly place to work. There are no typical days, as the schedule changes with a phone call. Hardest par the of the job is loading and unloading heavy luggage.
Pros
40 hours a week with.
Cons
Difficult to have a personal life with all the schedule changes.
Exciting place to work with talented boarding students!
Hall Counselor (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJanuary 22, 2015
The campus of Interlochen overflows with hundreds of talented students with majors ranging from Music to Motion Picture Arts.

A typical day would begin at 8 am and end at 1 am the next day consisting of seeing students leave the residence hall in the morning on their way to classes, if you're not substituting a class. Having office hours to answer phone calls, and be a presence in the building. Monitoring meals, tutoring, and planning student activities. Lasting sitting desk in the evening making sure all residents are accounted for and in their rooms by curfew.

I've grown professionally in fields of management, communication, and disciplinary actions. Its an absolute joy to be hands on with student affairs.

The staff of Residence Life & Housing has to be close knit and a unbreakable team. You live, work, and play with them.

The most complicating part of this job was not having a social life with those outside of work.

I enjoyed most being an important component to all students academic, and social life while perfecting their art.
Pros
Free Room & Board, Benefits, and Shows
Cons
No social life, long hours, low pay
Awsome place to work
Caterer (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJanuary 29, 2013
I worked catering which was actually very easy to handle even during the busy season. They give plenty of time and heads up about upcoming events and functions. If you need any help just ask and the boss will help you without complaint.
Pros
free meals, flexible schedule
Cons
long periods of downtime
Productive place with good people to work with.
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIOctober 25, 2012
A typical work day is about two shifts. Triple shifts sometimes happen. I've learned how to work with other people and provide excellent customer service. The management is easily likeable. The hardest part of the job is getting up to do the breakfast shift (6 a.m.) and the triple shifts do take a toll on you. The most enjoyable part is that I'm working in a place of the arts, which is my deepest passion.
Pros
free meals, ice cream discounts, ticket discounts.
Cons
early shifts, triple shifts, etc.
Beautiful place to "work"
Camp Counselor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIOctober 18, 2012
You sleep in cabins, lead children as they play games and sing songs by the campfire. Best summer job ever!
Amazing but unfair
High School Boys Counselor (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIAugust 6, 2012
Morning wake up call at 6:30 and would maybe work 5 total hours a day. Being around thousands of campers whose passion creates the energy around Interlochen. However you do not get paid for the amount of work you do.
Pros
free lunch and housing
Cons
low pay
Campus Safety Officer
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJuly 23, 2012
I patrol the campus to ensure the safety of personel and property. I get along very good with all co-workers as well as other employees on the campus.
Summer music camp for international & locally trained students
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Interlochen, MIJune 30, 2012
The school is open year around and during the summer has a different student body, student staff, and regular staff who have some mobility in job placement. The facility is large enough to accomodate industrial sized kettles, steam operated plus ample space for spice rack, dry storage, walk-in cooler, freezer, and fresh produce cooler. The purchasing mgr is the man in charge, he has had many years experience running a restaurant/ resort.
Pros
i enjoyed walking behind the food line while the young people served.
Cons
communication gap between cooks could cause problems