Internal Revenue Service

Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,755 reviews matching the search
Productive and potential for advancement
Reciept & Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2016
We have a complete day of work. Everyone is trained and able to accomplish their daily tasks. Always something to learn. Management always professional and helpful. Co-workers usually not too competitive so more of a relaxed atmosphere, of course the work is timely measured so work does need to be completed timely.
Pros
Training and advancement is always available.
IRS was a excelent work place for me.
Disclosure Officer, Tax Auditor, Tax Tech. (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UT; Salt Lake City, UtJanuary 22, 2016
Each day was a different challenge. Prioritize work or cases to meet time frames.
I learned that time management was critical to meet time frames set by the Internal Revenue Code and procedures.
I encountered many different management stiles through the years. I was always able to get along with management and also develop my own management stile. I always enjoyed my co-workers and developed a good working relationship with them. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the changing law and developing procedures that was required. The most enjoyable part for me was my association with co-workers and the public through the country
Pros
the benefits, travel
Cons
At times there was a lot of presure to complete statute deadline, and also the negitive image the public and political figures portray
Good pay, diverse work and opportunities
Tax Technician (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTMarch 14, 2016
Set hours, good co-workers. Technical aspects of taxes are the hardest part, dealing with tax law and such. Most enjoyable is the challenge and opportunity for growth.
Pros
job security, government benefits
Cons
communication with upper management sometimes lacking
Terrible place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 28, 2016
I would not recommend this branch of government for employment. The benefits and pay are decent but for the CSR position there is a furlough every year. They only give a week - 2 weeks notice. While out on furlough you are able to collect unemployment but its not enough to live off and you are only eligible for a certain amount of time. You have to get approval to work another job while on furlough. Training does not prepare you for the job, Too many cons, not enough pros.
Pros
Ok benefits, pay
Cons
Stability, not much advancement opprotunities
sucky place to work
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAApril 1, 2016
no raises or bonus, favoritism and political sabotage, incompetent management, no training, the list is never ending
Desk job adjjusting accounts. Good place to work
Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 12, 2015
Show up to work at 5:00am. Logon to computer and begin adjusting taxpayers accounts per inquiries or amended tax return. Learn rules rules, laws and regulations on a daily basis. Management is positive for the most part. My co-workers are mostly easy going and pleasant to work with. Hardest part of my job is the changing of casework. Every case is different and requires a different rules, regulations and tax laws.
Honestly, I do not enjoy any part of my current job. Sitting at a desk and looking at a computer all day is getting to me. I need to be able to move when i amat work.
Pros
benefits, retirement
Cons
sitting all day
Great Job, limited salary
Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 11, 2015
Working for the IRS is great if you want a 40 hour work week and you don't mind your salary being limited. Auditing tax returns for small businesses is a lot of fun and is very rewarding. But, with budget constraints, and little to no promotions available it has been difficult to survive financially. Pay freezes mean little to no cost of living increases. Congress is always trying to take away or minimize benefits for IRS employees.
Pros
40 hour work week. No overtime. Good time off and sick leave. Great health insurace.
Cons
Limited Salary, can't do accounting work on the side.
Review
07 Bilingual Tax Examiner (Current Employee) –  Chamblee, GANovember 26, 2015
The Internal Revenue is a good secure job, however compensation compared to area cost of living is not that great.
Constant reviews are good, however this employer does it in excess. Good training provided.
Some management not supportive or sensible to employees needs,
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low pay, excesive control, need to let go of that military atmosphere. Lots of red tape.
Employment is ok, but lacks oportunity for advancement.
SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 30, 2015
Never a dull day, always something new happening. Many of helpful employees, willing to share knowledge, though official training was hard to acquire for higher level positions. Good as far as job security, and decent benefits. Employer is not very good with work/life balancing, or communicating with workers.
Pros
Bennefits
Cons
overbearing workloads due to understaffing & poor budget management.
Overall great place to work,wish I had applied earlier in work life
IRS Collections Representative ,Retired (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
Excellent opportunity for advancement for young people,good pay until you reach pay freezes.Excellent teammates for most part.
Pros
Good pay, good managers for most part and benefits
Cons
CONSTANTLY TAKING CALLS FOR WORKSHIFT
High level productive, integrity and team spirit
Lead Auditor (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAFebruary 4, 2016
As the Lead Auditor at the Liberia Internal Revenue Department, my major responsibility was to lead and supervisory auditors in conducting compliance auditor inline with applicable tax law of the Republic of Liberia. Educate taxpayers on tax regulation and ensure that proper financial records are kept by taxpayers. Encourage voluntary compliance, identifying areas for tax law clarification and addressing failure to meet income, general sales tax obligation. Daily collaborate with the Audit Director for smooth conduct of the audit and reporting. Maintaining integrity is challenging part of tax audit as taxpayers’ daily attempt to bribe tax auditor. However, the exercises help tax auditors to understanding different types of financial reports presentation. Maintaining high level of integrity bring joys along with self discipline couple with new team management skill.
Great pay, fun place to work.
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work was just entering information into a computer while listening to the radio. I learned alot about the tax system. Management was mostly ok, but some were just plain dumb and always had something to say about you.
Co-workers were for the most part pretty cool. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay awake!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the incentive pay, which they pretty much did away with thanks to federal budget cuts. That's why i was laid off. Moved our jobs to Austin, tx!
managment
tax examiner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 7, 2016
Management needed to be changed managers did not know how to treat employees. Some managers were disrespectful to co-workers. Higher management needed to check with some of their employers about ho they was treated by managers. Managers needed to practice workplace ethics.
benefits
Cons
disrespectful managers
Stable work environment with benefits.
Office of District Counsel (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 15, 2015
I worked my way from telephone representative to several positions that enabled me to develop my skills and progress financially. Job security was not a problem, although my position did not have management opportunities. Worked to develop more conducive opinion of the Service by taxpayers, helping them resolve tax matters.
Pros
Great health and retirement benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy of federal government
I like working in a fast paced enviorment.
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 7, 2016
The shift goes by so fast due to the work load which I enjoy. I also enjoy doing something different and learning all the varies types of mail coming into the IRS. Everyone is so busy but there is still a sense of kindness in the atmosphere. I really like the fact that there is so much room for advancement.
Pros
Room for advancement.
Cons
Only have 30 minutes for lunch.
Fast paced, diverse environment with excellent benefits and wonderful coworkers.
Deposit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Covington, KYJanuary 29, 2016
A typical day includes check coding and scanning, data entry, cash and ACH handling, various general office duties. I have learned tax laws as well as government procedures for examining tax documents while employed here. The management and coworkers all work together to get the work done efficiently and accurately. The hardest part of the job for me is lifting boxes weighing over 30 lbs, however, accommodations are made for those of us who need them. The most enjoyable part of the job, for me, is the check scanning and coding and the data entry.
Keying Tax return
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2016
From the time you get their to the time to go home data entry keying in the return for 8 hour or more. I got along with management and co-worker
Pros
really long hours but the pay was awesome
Cons
It was seasonal
Mutiple shifts available, excellent benefits and pay.
Ccustomer Service/Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH & Atlanta, GAJanuary 6, 2016
Employer provided multiple positions, excellent training and advancement. This was the most rewarding job I ever had. My ability to help taxpayers was recognized by every manager. I went home each day with a sense of self satisfaction, knowing I helped every person I spoke to. More than one manager asked me to help train newcomers to the phones as they believed my approach made everyone I spoke with feel as if the IRS was responsible, helpful and compassionate while performing the job of collecting taxes.
Pros
Ultimate pride in my work.
Cons
Cronyism... The "good ole boy" system of adancement.
Good entry position
Examination Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 7, 2016
Work was mainly simple, unfortunate down time when the work stopped. Easy to learn all of the programs used. I was fortunate enough to have excellent management throughout my tenure.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Monotonous work
Enjoy new challenges and willing to learm more in a new career field.
CONTRACT SPECIALIST (CS) (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDOctober 31, 2015
Throughout my career I have learned structure, take responsibility for my actions and learn from my mistakes. Take pride in my work and show initiative by doing things without being asked. Recognize and respect individual differences.
Pros
Worked on international projects and learned so much.
Cons
Healthcare Benefits, 401K and etc.

4.2