Internal Revenue Service
1,179 reviews

Internal Revenue Service Employer Reviews

Good place to work. Very understanding of life out of the workplace in regards to family or continuing your education.
Customer Services Representative III (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 28, 2015
In every department I have been in the managers are very welcoming and helpful in assisting you to obtain your goals in the work place. My co-workers are team players and are very friendly and inviting.
Professional work environment.
Secretary to Assistant Director (Former Employee), Detroit, MichiganJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: good salary & benefits.
Cons: no clear path of advancement.
Work day began with a daily morning meeting with Director, Assistant Director, and secretaries to review calendar for the day. Calendars were updated throughout the day to allow for scheduling changes to meetings and conferences.

Incoming correspondence for Director/Assistant Director signature was reviewed for proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and tone. Corrections were returned to division secretaries for update. Establish controls on requests for information to ensure timely response.

Minutes of weekly staff meetings were taken, compiled, and distributed to divisions. Travel arrangements and vouchers prepared along with itineraries. Time and attemdance records submitted by divisions were reviewed, approved, and uploaded to regional database.

Ensure confidentiality of union negotiations, employee grievances, and grand jury information.
Wonderful job
Customer Service Contact Representative (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: exercise room
Cons: short breaks
Great government job, wonderful supporting co workers. Working as a CSR gave the ability to speak with people across the world and assist with their tax problems.
Nice, stable job, room for advancement.
Tax Examiner (Current Employee), Ogden, UTJanuary 27, 2015
Good company to work for, good benefits, good management. Hardest part of the job is learning everything that is involved. Most enjoyable part is helping people and knowing you are making a difference.
Standard office setting with cubicles and file area.
Tax Examiner Clerk (Former Employee), Austin,TXJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: fair pay, good benefits and plenty of time to complete asignments.
Cons: short lunch breaks(30min)
Check for incoming e-mails,general clerical duties(refer to resume). Learned how to be a productive and self sufficient without supervision. Assigned to several clerical lead positions. Very little management interaction or input due to the nature of the job. Clerical was more or less a short learning process for managers to move up to the next level or goal. So there was a constant turnover of management. Co-workers were generally good to get along with, easy to accept direction when I was a lead clerk and helpful. There was no hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was completing all tasks assigned before the end of the shift and able to add other tasks until the whistle blew.
Nice place but would be better if not seasonal
Control Clerk (Former Employee), Covington, KYJanuary 26, 2015
Nice place to work but as its only seasonal, not much to say. Culture there is very cliqish. Some of my co workers should not have been hired permanent there. Others work very hard.
Good pay and nice people to work with.
Tax Payer Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: benefits. insurance, vacation and sick leave and of course holidays.
Cons: lack of appreciation regardless what your department was.
Depending what department I was in, 20 or more, would determine what kind of day one could expect. The refund department was the most stressful of most department. Would receive 60 to 70 irate taxpayer calls per day which you would have to help them understand where their refund was or why the amount was different. Most answers to the irate person always ended with the taxpayer talking about my mother. Even though they were wrong, I never knew so many people new my mother.
Setting up payment plans was always fun because I was actually helping people resolve their issue at hand. They were usually calm but nervous. I could always assure them that they were not going to jail or the IRS was not going to take their first born, and the taxpayers were greatly relieved that we would work with them.
After 21 years of service and decided I had accomplished as much as I could so I retired.
Busy, fast paced work
Remittance Perfection Technician (Former Employee), Ogden, UTJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: governemnt job, good pay
Cons: seasonal, never know when or if you will be working and for how long
Typical day here involved processing tax payments to customer accounts. We took care of the payments that came in that lacked information. It was our job to research and make sure that payments were applied properly and to the correct accounts. Great bunch of people that worked well together. The negative was that this was a seasonal position and you never knew how long you would be working before you were furloughed. When you are furloughed, you do get unemployment, but it is only for maybe 10 weeks and is nothing close to what you make working. When you get called back to work, you generally go anywhere from 2-4 weeks without any income as your unemployment stops and you are waiting for a paycheck. During my time here, my credit score dropped from close to 700 to below 600. It is not an advisable choice for someone who is trying to raise a family and keep there head above water.
Accounting Intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Went in with no knowledge of tax and by the end of tax season I learned a lot from my manager. Worked side by side with him to do complex tax returns. And also worked individually.
PROFESSIONAL, TEAM SPRITED, GOAL ORIENTED.
TAX EXAMINER (Former Employee), Fresno, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: never ending job loads
Cons: not enough hours given
A TYPICAL DAY BEGINS WITH SECURING A NEW WORK LOAD OF NEW CASES. SORT THE NO-BRAINERS OUT TO EXPEDITE FIRST. BEFORE STARTING NEW CASES CHECK WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE WITH CASES ON YOUR DESK PENDING NEEDING FOLLOW-UP OR RESEARCH. THUR INTER-ACTION WITH OTHER CO-WORKERS, WE LEARNED TO HELP OUT EACH OTHER ON CASES THAT ARE BAFFLING AND HARD TO RESEARCH. THIS ASSURES EACH OTHER OF REACHING A QUICK SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. WE WORKED TOGETHER AS A UNIT, ALMOST MILITARY IN NATURE. I ALWAYS FELT THE HARDEST PART OF MY JOB WAS LEAVING. THIS JOB WAS TRULY A JOB, NO A CAREER THAT I LOVED AND LOOKED FORWARD EVERY WORKING DAY. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY DAY, EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T HOLD THE TITLE OF INSTRUCTOR, OR MANAGER A LOTS OF CO-WORKERS SOLICITED MY KNOWLWEDGE OF PROCEDURES. I WAS ALL TO READY TO PASS MY KNOWLEDGE OR DIRECT THEM TO READ UP ON TRAINING MATERIALS INVOLVING THE JOB. I TOOK THIS EXPERIENCE WITH ME IN OTHER JOBS OVER THE YEARS: US Postal Service 1965-1981. I sat the pace in my unit I was the one to surpass in expediting mail. No could come near to my stats. Managers would place new employees next to me to observe. AFTER WORKING FOR THE IRS MY SECOND JOB WAS A MGR.(CLOSING) FOR 5 DIFFERENT MC'DONALDS WITH AS MANY AT TIMES 35 EMPLOYEE TO SUPERVISE. I INSTILLED INTO THESE YOUNG PEOPLE THE TOOLS TO BE SUCCESSFUL, BY PRACTICING GOOD WORK ETHICS, GOOD GROMMING, AND PLEASANT ATTITUDES FOR SELLING. MOST IMPORTANT I TAUGHT THEM TO BE RESPONSIBLE INDIVISUALS, NOT ONLY TO THE JOB BUT TO THEIR FAMILYS AND MOST IMPORTANT TO THEMSELVES. MC'DONALD WOULD SENT ME TO A STORE THAT NEEDED TO BE TURNED AROUNDED, WHETHER IT WOULD BE EMPLOYEE RECURITING OR STORE IMPROVEMENT OR MOTIVATING AND ORGANIZING THE CREWS. IT WAS A CHALLENGING ENDEVOR FOR ME. I FEEL LIKE IV'E BEEN VERY INSTRUMENTAL IN STARTIN YOUNG PEOPLE OUT INTO THE WORK FIELD.
Nice place to work if Government is running successfully
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits and pay
Cons: micro managed
Micro manage you and allow to many people to do jobs unqualified for.
No room for growth veteran preference trumps all job post
Daily work schedule.
Revenue Officer (Current Employee), El Monte, CAJanuary 19, 2015
I delivered packages throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. The works revolves around scheduling a route daily. Making sure signatures are obtained. Customer satisfaction is very important.
Worked with clients daily reviewing tax law.
Contact Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: very knowledgeable and current on tax law.
Cons: the work was intents.
A great place to work, I was a tax law specialist and delivered written tax information from publication 17 to keep clients informed on what the tax laws and rules are for tax year of request.
Relaxed Enviornmet, people are very friendly
REMITTANCE PERFECTION CLERK (Former Employee), Covington, KyJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: big spashish lunch enviorment, friendly people, nice work enviorment.
My typical day at work was peaceful, very friendly I was able to get a lot of work accomplished each day. I was always on time at work very dedicated to my job always willing to learn. I learned a lot about my position I learned to have patience and good things will soon come to those who wait. The management was great I had great managers the treated everyone fair. My coworkers treated everyone with respect and allowed everyone to the job which made work so much easier to get through each day. The hardest part of my job was, remembering to extract certain documents which were diff from regular documents which needed special treatment. The most enjoyable part of my job was lunch time u get 30 mins to yourself to relax and get a good meal to help keep you focused on the job.
great place
Contact Representative (Current Employee), Cheektowaga, NYJanuary 16, 2015
Adhered to all regulatory guidelines relative to mortgage lending.
Performed daily maintenance of the loan applicant database.
Interviewed an average of 100 mortgage loan applicants per month.
The satisfaction of helping people
Tax Specialist (Former Employee), Cheyenne, WYJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: helping people, healthcare, retirement plans
Cons: rules from the head office
While in Lubbock, taking care of the Walk-in office, I was able to solve problems, answer questions, guide taxpayers to proper tax filing. I liked the job.
I really enjoyed having the ability to help the Taxpayers in Wyoming to prepare their Tax Returns for free. A lot of them could use the saved money for other purposes.

Our Group managers were very good, unfortunately, I can not say the same for Higher Ups.
Good temporary work
Tax Examiner GS (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 12, 2015
Six weeks training then typically a 4 to 8 month season. If you can get hired several seasons in a row you can eventually move to a full time department.
Great experience while in college
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEJanuary 11, 2015
Great place to receive knowledge on general tax forms. The management was great on helping you learn new challenges that you were faced when preparing a tax return.
Good place to work, nothing I disliked about the company.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 11, 2015
Glad to have been a part of the team, great family owned company to have worked for.
fast paced and productive environment
Clerk (Former Employee), North Andover, MAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: friendly management
Cons: sorting out the various forms
i was content in this job and my immediate supervisor was kind. i collated and stuffed envelopes all day. the hardest part of the job was keeping the documents in the correct order before stapling them.

1 2 3 4 5

About Internal Revenue Service

WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today released new withholding tables that will result in more take-home pay this spring – Read more