Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 2,100 reviews matching the search
Great Place to work. Many plus
Tax Examiner Tech (Former Employee) –  Covington, KY 41011April 26, 2017
Great place to work. Stability & Good Structure. Work days, swing shift or night shift. Family friendly. Great training sessions and even more extensive on the job training.
Volunteer
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAApril 25, 2017
Provided federal, state and local income tax return preparation to low-income residents
Interviewed clients to obtain detail and income, deductions and allowable credit information
Answered tax related questions and prepared tax returns using TaxWise electronic filing software
Good Place to Work
Bankruptcy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2017
It a good place to work; learning process every day.
It is a demanding job; but with great work satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the work it is a satisfy customer with the service provide and the happiness for changing the perspective of the tax agency and governments employees. It is a work that has his challenge the most important this is the way to manage those challenges and learn from them to do a better work everyday.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Streessfull
Working experience at the IRS
Senior Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MD 20706April 25, 2017
Excellent flexible work schedules that allows you to balance work and family life. Excellent benefits, including 10 paid federal holidays, annual and sick leave program, very good/stable bi-weekly compensation, medical, travel and training opportunities. Great co-workers and managers with diversified background and experiences. Good communication from top level leaders. Many job opportunities for career growth.
Pros
(1) Excellent retirement plans, (2) Telework opportunities, (3) Continuing Professional Education, and (4) Travel, although limited
Cons
(1) Heavy Beltway traffic, (2) Perhaps, some reduced annual operating budgets approved by Congress???
Fun!
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 25, 2017
I was a seasonal worker, but I enjoyed it very much! I loved what I did! I loved the people I worked with and for. It was fun. The cafeteria had real good for. The seating areas were nice, just the walk to your car was tiring, but always at 65°.
Pros
Free parking, great cafeteria food, fun job
Cons
Seasonal job, parking
It's a lot to learn
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2017
It's so much to learn with this position there is tons of research and things change daily. You have to keep up with the changes because you are rated on every call.
Very Professional
TAX EXAMINER, FILE CLERK, AND NUMBERING (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 20, 2017
I worked at IRS for 9 seasons. I learned a lot. You got raises, and promoted a lot. They always are willing to train and advance your career. I could go back any time. They always accept me back. Which is great and conforting.
Pros
Great Bosses
Cons
Only Seasonal
Good work
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63103April 20, 2017
This is a great opportunity to get your foot into the government's door if you want to have a government position. Typical positions like these can be daunting because you can get emotionally invested with a client's life.
Pros
able to help people in need
Cons
short breaks, chatty office
Fun Volunteer place
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2017
- Learned how to use the Tax Software
- Assist with eligible VITA customers
- Teamwork was enjoyable part
- Very flexible schedule
- Learned to be detail-oriented
productive
TAX PREPARER (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAApril 20, 2017
Great place to work you can learning a lot preparing taxes and customer service

the information is easy to understand and they can explain.

they could provide a certification
Part Time Clerk, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 20, 2017
The IRS is a good place to work, they have wonderful benefits and pay is good. They offer varies work schedule to fit your needs, they also offer tuition reimbursement and other courses.
If you need a job it passes as such
Correspondence Exam Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
it was a pay check. Back in the 90s it was a great place to work. It got much worse I am afraid. I stayed dedicated to helping my customers and just let the rest rain on me.
Pros
paid leave and union protection when needed
Cons
some bad management
Seasonal Tax Position
Part-Time Contract (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
Processed Tax returns daily, within the batching department. Pulled Tax returns that owed into a certain area and scanned others for mistakes. The job was ok, but more like grunt work. I would have rather had a job within the office.
It was a great place to work for.
Service Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 18, 2017
It was a fun place to work at. Learned about how the company is run. Met a lot of interesting people. Management was easy to talk to and with. It was a very comfortable workplace,.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Just switching days when someone else was out.
Bad place to work
Correspondence Exam Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 17, 2017
I don't recommend this place unless you like being Bullied and Hararrsed.

Managers are Bullies and the Upper management doesn't fix the problem. They turn a blind eye to things and pretend they see no evil or hear no evil!!
Pros
Money
Cons
Bullying and harrassement go on inside the work place
Not reviewable
Various Administrative and Clerical (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 17, 2017
My view on the agency is just that, My point of view. So I choose not to post it here because not all departments run the same. There was not a lot of advancement in the title I was in so I chose to resign and seek other employment.
Irs
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 17, 2017
Government work, great benefits. The typical contact rep isn't considered skilled up enough to be beneficial for three years. That said there is a lot of training to develop skills.
VITA volunteer
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAApril 17, 2017
The VITA volunteer program is great. They provide tax preparation services for low income families. Volunteers get trained a few weeks before tax season begins. Hours are flexible. And every return prepared is reviewed by an employee to ensure quality.
Good working environment!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 16, 2017
I guess I enjoyed the hour drive in the morning and the possibility of a transfer to San Antonio in time. However, commuting became difficult due to gas prices rising! Very diverse in culture, very fast pace work.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
distance in driving to work daily.
Inconstant and inadequate training
Contact Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 16, 2017
Inconstant and inadequate training for contact service rep job, tools that are actually used on the job and training materials often have nothing to do with each other. The job in a telephone center and you are strapped to a chair for 8 hours a day and there is little interaction available for the employees. Starts at a GS5, pretty low for the stress that is encountered in this job.
Pros
retirement
Cons
the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2