Internal Revenue Service
1,284 reviews

Internal Revenue Service United States Employee Reviews

What I learn
CRS (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 3, 2015
Pros: Benifits
Cons: Job Stress
The information that I gain from working for the IRS has given me more insight into the world and how it relates to me.That the IRS is a major player in world and that as American the money pay in taxes creates more jobs and programs that support the poor in this country and the world.
Federal agency involved in nationwide taxpayer services
Tax Examiner (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 2, 2015
Pros: Job schedule flexibilty; Good benefits; Gaining vacation and leave time per pay-period.
Cons: Difficulty in advancing to higher positions
A typical day at work was basically performing the duties assigned on a daily basis; I learned the necessary information needed to handle each taxpayer case individually; Management was very good at helping me learn the additional information needed when a new type of taxpayer case would be handled by me; My co-workers were very easy to get along with, willing to learn new duty assignments, and train me when I needed necessary training for specialty cases assigned to them; The hardest part of the job was learning new duties and important computer knowledge needed for new project assignments; The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was often recommended by management when new project coordinators needed assistance.
Church leader, activate, organizer, teacher and preparer
Volunteer Preparer (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaApril 29, 2015
Pros: Services food for poor and homeless
One important temporal responsibility that branch president has is to administer the Church welfare program in the branch. Part of this responsibility includes administering fast offerings. Each fast Sunday members should fast for two consecutive meals and contribute a fast offering at least equal to the value of the food they would have eaten. As the Lord’s representative, the bishop or branch president is accountable to the Lord for properly receiving, recording, and administering these offerings. The branch president knows the members of his branch, and when they need help he can assist them by using the fast offerings or by calling on members of his branch for help. Other duties as High Priest Group Leader, Mission Branch Leader, Nursery of Children of 18 months old to 3 years old.

*activate
*teacher
*preparer

Many organizations, whether for-profit entities or charitable foundations and nonprofit groups, embrace the use of teamwork as an effective and inclusive way to accomplish goals. The multitude of talent, skills and diverse perspectives add value to teams and often enable team members to experience working with people with whom they might not otherwise have had an opportunity to interact. Generally, a de facto leader will rise to the occasion in giving the team or group direction; however, many teams have group organizers whose primary responsibility is to create structure among a variety of personalities and work styles.
A great place to help others
Bilingual Contact Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 28, 2015
It is fun helping tax payers with their questions and issues but the work atmosphere is tense since you don't know how many days/weeks/months your are going to be working in a year. My first tenenure was 4 months of which 2 were completely dedicated to training. Being trained to work 2 month is a total waste of funds.
Good benefits, great pay
Contact Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee), indianapolis, inApril 26, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Pay
Cons: Management
I loved my co-workers, my job and the pay and benefits. Management needs help they forget what its like once they reach the top.
Good working conditions, nice people
Enterprise Security System Administrator (Former Employee), Martinsburg WVApril 26, 2015
Pros: Nice offices, some telework.
Cons: there were no cons to this position for me.
Each day was different, never boring some overly long days, but that is the nature of the job.
IRS employees were pleasant and willing to help with what ever they could.
N/A
Tax Examiner (Current Employee), Holtsville, NYApril 24, 2015
Responds to custom inquiries with a sense of urgency
Solves problems proactively and makes front-line decisions to provide superior service
Relationship-oriented with the desire to join a winning team
Assists in growing accounts through the sale of additional items from Chromate product line
Previous experience at handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
Assesses customer needs and provide information about Chromate’s full line of MRO products
Continually looks for new ways to delight our customers and improve service; encourages repeat business; proactively engages with customers to identify new needs and opportunities
Progressive workplace which encourages diversity amongst employees
Supervisory Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Lanham, MDApril 23, 2015
Pros: Good Work/Life Balance, sufficient breaks
Cons: None
The IRS is a busy and productive workplace.
I have grown tremendously in my career ever since I started working there, learning a lot about Systems Acceptability Testing and the IRS Enterprise Life Cycle.
I work amongst a diverse group of employees, of different ages, races and gender.
The big concentration of efforts on process improvements and automation makes my responsibilities more exciting and fulfilling within the IRS.
This federal agency also has a high potential for growth if you work hard..
Volunteered for one year as Income Tax Preparer
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILApril 23, 2015
This was a great volunteer position for me in college. I did it my sophomore year and learned a lot about tax preparation.
Sweat shop
Seasonal Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 22, 2015
Pros: Benefits (health, savings, retirement)
Cons: Culture, environment, job duties
The building literally looks like an old, decaying prison. Cons include low pay, and boring, repetitive work.
Pros - It can be a way into better positions. Federal benefits are pretty good.
Not what you think
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2015
Pros: Seasonal
Cons: Seasonal
Boring, no room for growth (unless someone dies), but it's steady work. If you don't like numbers this is not for you. If you can't do basic typing this is not for you. Speed helps, being right counts. People skills will help you out a lot.
Great volunteer working experience
VITA Volunteer, Campbell Library, Now (Former Employee), Campbell, CAApril 21, 2015
Great IRS VITA volunteer working experience.
I helped people with low income to prepare tax return and gained a lot of joy and knowledge about tax return practice.
Fun place to work
Clerk (Former Employee), Fresno, CAApril 21, 2015
Pros: Worker alone
Cons: no benefits
I loved meeting the regulars who went in to either buy snacks or put gas in there car. Also the main things were the ones who bought the lottery tickets. Fun watching them scratch and win.
I enjoyed working there!
Tax Auditor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 20, 2015
Pros: I worked with great people!
Cons: Short Breaks;
A typical day at work consisted of reviewing Tax returns ; Checking to make sure that the person or persons are waiting for me in the public waiting area. And find out if they brought an Accountant or a Lawyer with them.
IRS and small business owner.
Tax Examiner, Wage & Investment Division (W&I) (Current Employee), Covington, KYApril 20, 2015
Great place to work. Looking for better compensation and opportunities. Great people you work with and applying for better jobs eternally.
Great place to work for those starting careers
COLLECTION DUE PROCESS ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 20, 2015
Pros: Benefits packages
Cons: Not a good place for Independent thinkers
Over the years the service has changed and adapted to the political landscapes; while attempting to maintain its' core values. Due to extreme budget cuts, attrition and lack of employee moral the service has become a cog in desperate need of oiling.
Fun place to work. Very organized work environment.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Fresno, Ca.April 19, 2015
Pros: Income tax returns, good pay, affordable lunches, positive work environment.
Cons: Poor tools to work with (dull letter openers) slowed production.
A typical day at the IRS was to simply sort and file mail, which I found to be a very relaxing job. I learned about the different tax forms and how to sort them as well as calculate my hours for payroll. I found the management to be helpful and available at all times. My co-workers were always available to answer questions and help me. The hardest part of the job was using the tools to open the mail because it slowed production. But I loved coming to work and earning money along with gaining back income taxes.
very productive, training updates. etc.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 19, 2015
Pros: salary increases, annual and sick leave
Cons: none
Always learning new I.R.S. rules and regulations,codes on levy issues,collections, releases and installment agreements.
Excellent place to work if one was a self motivator
Revenue Officer/Offer in Compromise Specialist (Former Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth, TXApril 19, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits
Cons: Perceptioon of the public toward IRS
Excellent work place for those who can work well without direct supervision. Excellent benefits for those who were willing to work.
Working enviormnet
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 18, 2015
Pros: telework, work life balance
Cons: n/a
Working as a analyst withthe IRS is beneficial.
Organizational structure would depend on placement within the organization, but once you are familiar day to day duties are explained and employees are trained as needed.
The hardest part is the numerous reporting for operational reviews, the most enjoyable part is making a difference for employees.

1 2 3 4 5

About Internal Revenue Service

WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today released new withholding tables that will result in more take-home pay this spring – Read more

Internal Revenue Service Salaries