Internal Revenue Service
1,313 reviews

Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

enjoyed the people i work with
customer service rep (Current Employee), ogden utahJune 1, 2015
Pros: pot lucks, vending machines
Cons: congress, longer breaks
Learned about different taxes and how many different forms there are. Enjoyed working with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was learning all different codes and tax forms
Enjoyed working with the people.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Manning, SCJune 1, 2015
Enjoyed working with the older people. The give a lot of advice and wisdom. Coworkers were great. There are no hard parts to this Job.
The IRS Experience
Tax Examiner (Former Employee), Covington, KYMay 28, 2015
Pros: Job security
Cons: Seasonal position
At the IRS my responsibility is analyzing business and individual taxes. The skills that I have acquired are attention to detail, analysis, decision-making and the ability to multitask. On occasions I have served as a back up lead for my team, which was one of the hardest task of the position because I am responsible for my production and others as well. Working for the IRS can be very unpredictable and that is the enjoyable part of my job, there's no repetitive work.
Great learning experience
Certified Advanced Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Rutherford, NJMay 28, 2015
Pros: Giving back to society by preparing free tax returns.
Cons: The program took place on Saturdays.
It was great to finally get my hands on what I have been studying in school for so many years. Volunteering as a Tax Preparer allowed me to practice the skills I learned in class and also taught me so much more.
Excellent jobs with advancement
Tax Examining Assistant//Mail Assistant/Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Ogden, UTMay 26, 2015
Pros: excellent pay, sick and annual leave, paid holidays, excellent healthcare and insurance
Cons: seasonal work would be underdermind, hard to get a permament postion
Typical day was working at a desk problem solving tax forms or correspondence from tax payers regarding their accounts. I learned how to research various different databases and websites and how do make my own decisions along with the procedures required to quickly and accurately complete any problem. Management was supportive and helped when needed. Management was also very realistic about having a work and life balance to make your job better. My co-workers were of all different types of people like in any other job. The hardest part of the job was the constant changes but it was also the most interesting. the most enjoyable part of the job was the pay, the workplace, interesting assignments, and the knowledge that if you did a good job there were many chances for advancement in your own office or a different office.
Service oriented, satisfying, excercise room
Lead Contact Representative (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 25, 2015
Pros: Health Benfits, Excercise room, great shift
My day began with inventory management, review manual refunds, call taxpayers, answer technical questions for 18 unit employees, review and approve case referrals, technical assistance queue, work complex cases, receive phones call providing superior customer service.
Internal Revenue service is an unorganized place to work
Tax Examiner (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 23, 2015
Internal Revenue service is an unorganized place to work. The job was very unprofessional the changes were daily and there was very little training. Not a lot of room for advancement.
Comfortable environment
Tax Examiner (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2015
My day as a Tax Examiner consist of code and editing tax returns. It was a very new experience for me as far as my work history goes but i really enjoyed it. My co workers were awesome peolpe very caring and supportice
Internal Revenue Service does not reward efficency
Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee), Covington, KYMay 20, 2015
I have learned to work hard in spite of advancement dictated by hire number instead of good work.

Job requires the ability to review many documents in order to close taxpayers accounts in a consistent manner.

The IRS does allow flexible scheduling
review of Appalachian Underwriting
Volunteer VITA Income Tax (Former Employee), Cleveland, tnMay 19, 2015
Pros: Nice office and surrounings
Cons: management is not capable of running this business
The company pays very well but it is family owned and management is very disjointed and no one is in charge and family runs amuck.

No cooperation between departments and you come in one morning and find someone doing your work and the CEO has said for them to take it over but no one told lyou.

Tough place to work but not impossible.
Fun workplace
Volunteer Tax Assistant (Former Employee), Flint, MiMay 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: none
great experience, able to help lower income people with taxes and advice. management was nice but hours were long and come people were rude.
Enjoyable moment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Flexible, learning environment, able to give to others
Cons: Being crowed before close
Very exciting to be able to help give back to the community
Few stumbling blocks but once it was explained I knew how to correct it and make it better
Customer Service Review
Customer Servoce Rep. (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Wonderful expirence
Cons: Job ending
A typical day was inputting tax information into CPU order tax booklet or publication..
I learn what it take to deal with people on a daily basis about their tax booklets and how they can get information about their taxes.
Management and coworker where easy to get along with and help you if you needed help.
The hardest part was to try to end the calls because some customers was upset about not getting their booklets and leaving the job when it shut down.
The most enjoyable was coming to work in a pleasant environment. I truly enjoyed this job.
Great Place
contac rep (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2015
It is a great environment to work every day. I was fast pace when taking call but slowed down when working paper cases, which gave you the best of both worlds
Great Opportunity
Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 16, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Laid back
Cons: Seasonal, Budget concerns
Worked in Accounts Management. Typical evening was adjusting taxpayer information, sending out correspondence for more information or getting a refund and other miscellaneous duties.

I learned the Internal Revenue Manual which is the official bible that you use to solve taxpayer accounts. Sometimes it is not as straightforward as I would like it to be but you're dealing with taxes. You learn all the tools necessary to complete your job.

Management depends on the people. I have a nice frontline manager. Since I work evening, I don't often see upper management which is a PLUS. Night shift is pretty laid back. The only con is that since we work different times it often is harder to address problems.

Co-workers are easy to get along with. You have your good and bad just like any workplace. I'm in a cubical so not much interaction. We often use the buddy system if we need help on a case.

The hardest part of my job is actually the job. It's easier now but I wish the training would have been better. Another con is that it's seasonal. You usually work 4-6 months out of the year.

The most enjoyable part of my job is having a job. It's a good opportunity, benefits are good, and I have a good lead if I need help. IRS does try to support the employees anyway they can.
They Dont like young people
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee), Lanham, MDMay 13, 2015
Pros: Time off set schedule
Cons: Toooooooo many bosses
Great company but They are very paranoid of young professionals.
Work is very laid back and not a lot of pressure. The thing about the government is the workers are behind on the times and they are ok with that.
Tax preparation
Volunteer (Former Employee), Bridgeport, CTMay 13, 2015
I was able to do Tax preparation from W-2 forms, 1099 forms, Social Security, Unemployment, etc. and apply knowledge acquire in class.
Would work there again.
Seasonal Clerk (Former Employee), Chamblee, GAMay 12, 2015
Fun place to work. Was only a seasonal job, so only worked a few months out of a year. Typical day consisted of a quota of tax returns you would have to process daily in order for it to go to correct department.Learned how to deal with many different types of people,managers and coworkers. Hardest part of the job was some people were just there for a paycheck, not even trying to meet quotas.The most enjoyable part was that you could work as many hours as you wanted in April and May.
Productive and fun place to work.
Mail-Room Clerk/Extraditing (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 11, 2015
Pros: discount lunches, Go on brrak when ever
Cons: none
It was a great place to work. Especially working the night shift. The night life was a short and sweet one but I enjoyed every bit of it.
A fun work place that you will learn lots of things.
IRS VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 11, 2015
We are all very eager to help clients, even beyond our job responsibilities. All the staff are so helpful and productive.

1 2 3 4 5

About Internal Revenue Service

WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today released new withholding tables that will result in more take-home pay this spring – Read more

Internal Revenue Service Salaries