Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,786 reviews matching the search
Very Flexible work schedules
Tax Examining Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 6, 2016
I enjoy the flexibility with the companies work schedules. They are a fast paced work environment but provide several opportunities for growth and advancement
IRS is a learning company as long as you are willing to have patience and understanding with Management.
Computer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 6, 2016
If you are willing to be patient with Management needs and watch for the career openings, a person can apply for permanent position with the IRS.
The hardest part of a position here is that some people do not have the same work ethic as others. It is just very frustrating to watch some people disrespect the Management authorities, even if they are in the wrong.
Pros
Advancement with experience and knowledge, if available.
Cons
If you allow it, upper Management involves you in special projects, with no additional recognition for your ability to go above and beyond your level of expertise..
Excellent work environment
SPECIAL AGENT / CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 4, 2016
Management understood the importance of having a work / home-life balance. Overall, the IRS is a wonderful place to work as long as you're passionate about taxation.
Great place to work.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2016
One of the best companies I have every worked for. I will have to apply for work there again. Good people, good training, nice atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay and bennefits
Cons
very good experiences in major area
Hofstra- Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYJune 30, 2016
I like the people and environment there. The atmosphere is very warm. The co-workers are very nice and friendly. My supervisor teach me a lot related the accounting skills.
Good Job
(Seasonal) H&R Block Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 30, 2016
This is a great job, has great managers and great people to work with. Good learning opportunities and room for growth. I love this job. One of the best.
Pros
Great People
Cons
This is only seasonal
productive
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2016
A really good place to work people are very friendly good training to help do the job excellent hours supervisor were very helpful to help you seek employment with in the company always telling us to check the web site
Pros
people
Working efficiently and effective to complete the job.
Senior Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  New Carrollton, MDJune 29, 2016
Working efficiently and effective to complete the job. This is not relative to the position advertised. My opinions have no bearing on this.
Everyday is different
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting and resolve my customer's issues. A typical day involves answering inbound calls regarding computer issues from locked accounts to creating nationwide high priority tickets. As a information technology specialist, I act as a system administrator, make needed modification in our active directory regarding users or their access to isolated application domains.
Pros
Telework, Benefits
Cons
Work culture, Management
Excellent place to grow into many possible opportunities
Customer Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Andover, MAJune 28, 2016
Great place to work at. Intense visual training and some hands on which really helps when you're working actual claims.

Want to know more about Internal Revenue Service?

Ask a question
Temporary
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 28, 2016
Temporary position, stocked forms, answered phones, helped out IRS personnel, handled mail, hardest part was learning where everything was and what forms were used for.
not bad at all
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Holtsville, NY 11742June 26, 2016
Although the job of a CSR is good and the benefits are great, The strive for customer satisfaction is not a quick change and the procedures to do our job changes every day if not at least 5 or 6 times a month. High structured environment and training was okay, it's wasn't what was really needed though. no hands on learning until you're thrown onto the floor. Also the customers that call can be very abusive and it can be very stressful. other than that it's really not bad at all, you can be yourself, no dress code for call centers and you receive a lot of help if needed.
Pros
great managers and guidance.
Cons
breaks, unpaid lunch, callers
Good pay, benefits, hours, but corrupt, hypocritical manangement
Correspondence Examination Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 25, 2016
IRS mgt. directs employees to lie on their time sheets so mgt. can distort performance results to obtain better personal evaluations and possibly upper mgt. received bonuses.

Mgt. lies then covers each other's backs.

Different standards of conduct for mgt. versus subordinates when mgt., as enforcers of the rules/regulations, should be held to a higher standard.

Nit-picky of irrelevant/minor matters.

Heavy handed with employees if they don't like what you're saying like commenting on unpaid furlough days while 16,000 Obamacare agents were being hired. They preach ethics in the Ethics Briefing that's required annually, but putting it in practice is completely different.
Halff or more of the IRS employees smoke marijuana because there's no drug testing after being hired.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, hours. Good work experience
Cons
Corrupt management, hostile work environment
Great people to work with and learn alot here about taxes
Internal Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAJune 25, 2016
Inventory control, accuracy to detail, strong communication, attention to detail, fast learner. only work half of the year during the tax period of the year.
Pros
Very good at customer services
Cons
very good benfits
It can be very stressful due to management.The job itself is not stressful.
Management and Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38118June 24, 2016
I am an inbound customer service representative. I enjoy helping the customers that call. I type mostly as the customer is speaking. I probe the customer to get a better understanding of their issue to determine the appropriate way to resolve or elevate their issue(s).
Pros
the customers
Cons
Management and advancement
Irs
Tax Examiner Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 24, 2016
This is an great way to move up the ladder if you want to work for the IRS. The job is very easy, but the job culture can be a challenge. At times, it would feel like high school.
Pros
great pay, flexible hours
Cons
job culture, job security
TAX EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 23, 2016
Nice place to work. Co-workers were good people. Learned how the Internal Revenue Service operated. The hardest part of the job was tracking down those individuals who owed the IRS and didn't want to pay.
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2016
A typical day was it was a very fast past . Always be a team player. Management wAS fair. Great group to work with. I learned working at this company I learned a lot of skills. the manager I worked with was Wonderful. My co-workers were great peopl to work with. The most enjoyale part of the job was STAFF.
Pros
free lunch once a month
Cons
short breaks
ehhh
Internal Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 20, 2016
This is a great place to work if you are looking for job security, excellent benefits, and compensation that is almost unmatched.
Motivating, constantly learning, and interacting with different individuals every time.
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, Northridge, Canoga Park, CAJune 19, 2016
I performed tax services for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), which offers free tax preparation for individuals and families who make an annual income under $54,000. I volunteered to be a Lead Supervisor for VITA at the San Fernando Library.
VITA consisted of about 17 Lead Supervisors that helped out tax preparers, taxpayers, and supervisors.
My position as a Lead Supervisor to oversee tax preparers and review tax returns officially began January 23 through April 9, 2016. My unofficial position as a Lead Supervisor began in September of 2015, where I performed in class presentations to student and to EOP programs.
A few challenges I faced was the complexity of the tax preparation. Sometimes I did not know how to approach the tax return, but the great thing about VITA is that they provide you with all the resources to help one find the answer and more. The internet was a great source of information, the supervisors and other leads were only a call away, and they had experienced supervisors jump to different sites who needed help.
I have gained the skills of adapting to work with different people and personalities and the knowledge of individual tax returns. I find these factors are key components to the work place and the everyday life. Everyday we encounter different people with different personalities and having the ability to find away that will make a positive outcome creates a positive lifestyle, unexpected friendships, and improved networking techniques.
Pros
professional shirts, great management, and appreciation
Cons
training, unmotivated students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2