Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 2,161 reviews matching the search
Security Assistant
Security Assistant GS-6 (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11201May 18, 2017
It was a great experience, I learned alot about cyber security,how to
unlock computers that were not authorized use. Was trained and actively inspected building safety,recommended security information
to Managers,when needed. Filed and wrote reports on attempted breaches,setting up Fire drills,security inspections with all department heads.
Cons
Not able to break for lunch on various occasions.
Volunteer
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 17, 2017
It was a great experience helping tax payers get their refunds at no cost to them. While I was a volunteer I learned a lot and met a lot of people, going forward l hope to continue next year to see what more is in store for me.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
short period of time
Tax examiner
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 17, 2017
Coding and editing tax examines can become a monotonous.
The benefits are fantastic. The people you work with are willing to help you become successful in achieving required daily goals.
Pros
Benefits and pay are grea, t
Cons
Required overtime between April 15 to June 1.
production
Extraction Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2017
The extraction department is fully responsible for opening, sorting and handling monies of personal federal tax returns. It is high paced production work but it is easily learned. Pay and schedules are great.
Average job
Tax Examining Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 16, 2017
This more of a job rather than a career. It's very difficult to change position's and that only people that seem to move up are the ones that know someone else. Great start up job when your twenty not when your over forty.
Looks good on paper but not in reality
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2017
The IRS is a great job when it comes to pay and benefits. There are SOME people you can trust, but you will find out quickly who CAN'T trust. Even amongst the disabled, it is a "dog eat dog" job. It is not difficult to become the victim of "water cooler gossip" in this job. And once you do, you may as well quit when you are able and look for another job immediately. TIGTA is ruthless and will stop at nothing at ruining your good name long after you've been terminated. Best advice, trust no one and make no enemies there, if you can help it. Otherwise, it's a fairly cushy job, if management judges on your merits.
Pros
Great pay, excellent benefits, white collar job.
Cons
Not always treated fairly, hard to make friends, a lot to learn in a short amount of time.
Stressful, Fast-Paced
Front Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 15, 2017
A typical day involved endless interruptions, quickly-changing priorities and micro-managing by superiors. There is little to no care for work-life balance. The culture is cutthroat and competitive, and the rumor mill is viscous. These this constitute the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part is leaving for the day.
Pros
Quitting time
Cons
Micro-managing, constantly changing priorities, rumor mill.
Data Entry
RPS DATA SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 15, 2017
This was a nice place to work. The hours were convenient for a busy college student. I was able to go a my own speed and get paid bonuses foe exceeding demands
The IRS in my perspective
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 14, 2017
I begin work at 6am. There is a flurry of computers being turned on and work is begun. People go get their work and begin to balance reports, number documents, balance the system that we work on so they can bring it up, etc. I have learned to work with all types of people. The hardest park of the job is getting along with people that are hard to get along with. I do get stressed at work working with people whose voices are a bit tense and louder than necessary. The most enjoyable part of the day is the time that I get off work (330pm). Management is good. I can't even begin to count the number of Supervisors I have been through in this Unit. Some have left due to retirement, some because of the way the system works (moving around of Supervisors from one Unit to the next). There are many different kinds of people here at work. One time I suggested we have a potluck with each of us bringing in a dish from our culture. It was an interesting potluck.
Pros
health care, TSP Plan
Cons
short lunches, no real desk procedures
Being a Server at IHOP
Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2017
Overall it was a pretty good work place. The only bad thing was that the managers would be too hard on you. Also the customers would want their food out right away and you have no control over that.
Pros
Good Tips
Cons
No set schedule
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRMay 12, 2017
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. The IRS volunteer program provides training to undergraduates for the preparation of federal income tax returns. Undergraduates will not be pay but gain experience in the preparation of federal income tax return and public relation. The program do not pay their undergraduates and do not charged any fees for returns made at the volunteer center.
Great place to start a career
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chamblee, GAMay 12, 2017
I started at the Internal Revenue Service 25 years ago! I have had the opportunity to experience various positions in which I gained exemplary experience.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Employment Seasonal
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 11, 2017
Overall , the IRS is an excellent place to start a career. You are trained by great trainers they go above and beyond the call of duty .All the managers at the KC location were awesome. I would recommend anyone looking for a career change. Check them out.
Pros
Moving into a great career
Cons
fun place to work very perfessional work place
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 11, 2017
loved working there cause I love to work in a fats paces environment even though your hands hurt all day from opening mail it was well worth the experience I enjoyed working for them and hope to get called back for the new season
Pros
good brakes everyone very friendly
Cons
seasonal
Good job great benefits poor management
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2017
Senior Auditor
• Effectively oversaw the assignments of my audit teams and completed complex audit steps including the selection of statistically valid samples and projecting the results of our reviews over large populations. I developed applicable local, regional and national audit plans of IRS operations to guide my audit teams through the successful completion of our reviews. I was also responsible for the composition of detailed audit reports that conveyed the results of our reviews to IRS management, the United States (US) Congress, congressional committees and National Department of the Treasury staff.
fun yet stressful enviorment to work at
Data Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 10, 2017
always
willing ready and up for a challenge. love working with new people learning something new day by day I give it my all to strive and reach whatever goals we have to meet
its a job
Mail and File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Farr West, UT 84404May 10, 2017
working in the area I work in in very busy, very challenging. I have learned a lot such as all different kinds of Mail Stops within the few local IRS to IRS buildings. there are over 100 to try and remember.
Workplace culture??
The hardest part of the job is Standing on my feet all day at times busy with mail. But at the same time that part makes your day fly by extremely quick.. I like it..
The most enjoyable part of my job is it keeps me busy where I am at. even if I'm not gathering mail, cutting boxes, or lifting heavy boxes Im busy opening the UNDELS to see where they are re-routed to.
So not a dull moment..
Pros
earned leave can use when i want
Cons
lots
Favortism, unjust in several ways.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2017
I would not recommend this job unless you have a relative that works there. If you are not considered a favorite or a brown nose, you have no chance to succeed regardless of performance. The turnover rate is extremely high.
Pros
Cons
3 yrs to go fulltime permanent
Diverse work environment
Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 9, 2017
A typical day working for the Internal Revenue Service Center campus in Fresno, CA. is an diverse experience. What I learned is there are all kinds of different departments that work together in a pipeline processing center. As for management it is very complicated converting to a paperless environment it makes coding easier to associate a taxpayers cases with other departments to perfect a tax return before issuing a refund and posting a payment owed to the Department of the Treasury. The most hardest challenge of being a Tax Examining Technician is trying to process new tax credits without a plan for process, as it always create delays. The most enjoyable part about is resolving errors independently and accurate record keeping of time and volume processed.
Pros
Awards, Benefits, Flexible sifts, salary
Cons
Prolong sitting
Different
Criminal Investigation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2017
A seasonal job. Job was short. Getting to personal with customer business had to investigate thr customer business. That was not fun thing to do!!!!!!
Pros
Fun
Cons
Short term

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2