Internal Revenue Service

Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 1,839 reviews matching the search
Fun experience
Volunteer tax preparation (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 5, 2016
I got enrolled when I was a student at the university. Training lasted for a few days. Took a test and started doing tax returns. TaxWise software was interesting. Managers were very helpful. I was so happy to help very nice people who cannot afford paying a professional to make their tax returns. Their gratitude was worth everything.
A Good Day, A Bad Day, No different than a Public Business
tax examiner (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAApril 30, 2016
It is the same for all, people don't change because they work for the government. But the problem I found working for the government, was that the equipment we had to work with was antiquated. Computers outdated, work done on paper , should have been done on computers, etc. Co-workers are just the same, get along with some, some you don't bother with. Hardest part of job, was meeting deadlines, best part of job, was doing a good job.
Pros
job security, benefits
Cons
deadlines, pressure
Working with tax payers and learning people skills.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 14, 2016
The Internal Revenue Service gave me the ability to work with people at their most vulnerable times. Patience, compassion and the ability to listen to resolve the problems of the tax payer. Learning new programs to apply to my work environment.
Pros
Co-workers celebrations, etc.
It is very hands on and learn new things everyday
CLERK (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 26, 2016
My typical day at work is taking client to doctor appointment. Providing my patient with everyday needs such as clothing, hygiene, feeding and brushing hair and giving patient medication on a timely matter.
Pros
I set my own hours.
Cons
I don't get paid what i deserve to get paid hourly
Flexible but challenging
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2016
Flexible work schedule, opportunities to work from home. Work starting time negotiable between core hours. Minimal overtime required. Frequent contact with internal and external customers. Constant change in tax laws requires frequent training. Work required flexibility and the ability to prioritize and re-prioritize.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Pay below average for same positions outside of the government
Productive and Nice environment to work in.
file Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 23, 2016
Since April 2004, Everyday, I have learned something new. A typical day would be handling a minimum of approximately 400-600 tax returns. We are required to complete a minimum of 500 tax documents per day. We work in a team environment. It is important we all do our best to keep the tax documents moving forward. The most enjoyable part of my day is to hear the word thank you from someone who needed help.
Pros
nice raises
Cons
short breaks
Interesting job
FIELD OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 17, 2016
What I did for a living is help seniors and people with low income file their state taxes. My day depends on how many people came to file their income taxes, so it was majority of the time waiting for customers. Coworkers were close and we bonded.
Pros
it was a state position
Cons
hours of no productivity, no chance for advancement, temporary/ seasonal position
work place was productive and enjoyable
Tax Fraud Investigative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 23, 2016
We handle criminal cases we had to do back ground checks, interviews. Prepare for court. I enjoyed the people I work with we had intense working conditions because of the type of work we did
the most enjoyable was seeing a case to finish and getting a conviction
Pros
paid leave
Cons
doing search warrants
Daily performance
IRS / CSR (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRJune 2, 2016
Job and regulations are cleared. Not that much flexibility to work under pressure. Crisis from supervisors authority are existing in all levels. Employee & managers relations are not pleasant toward mission accomplishment. Unknown human needs or necessities to work in harmony for a better & more productivity at work.
IRS sponsors Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)
TCE Volunteer (Current Employee) –  River Grove, ILApril 13, 2016
• Provide free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
• Assisted with free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals
• Provided, through TCE program, free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues.
Innovative environment with a passionate commitment excellence
Virtualized Storage Project & Data Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Washing DC AreaApril 12, 2016
The Unisys SaaS (Storage as a Service) contract provides IRS an innovative environment with a passionate commitment service excellence by integrating the best available technology from several vendors to deliver unparalleled service at an unbeatable price point.
Pros
Opportunity to grow while working with the finest engineers and innovative technologies
Cons
Contract and project related work
Free lunch!
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 17, 2016
Great place to meet aspiring accountants and to meet passionate co-workers. The best part was contributing meaningfully back to society by preparing tax returns for low-income families. A close second-best-part were the free lunches provided at breaks.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Inefficient
seasonal
IRS VITA Site Cordinator (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCApril 9, 2016
This is a seasonal position for the most part. After April 18th I will be on call for appointments only.

During the tax season I over see the IRS - VITA program as their Site Coordinator. I maintain the schedules, appointments, transmitting the tax returns, quality reviews, training, programs, marketing, and anything else that is needed to have a successful tax season.
Pros
love meeting new people and helping those people out when possible
Cons
seasonal
able to grasp more practical experience than in college level tax class
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJune 7, 2016
After 10 hours extensive training, dive right into actual consulting to client (family, single) and tax return.

Priceless experience if you are an college student, and willing to pursue tax accountant.
Pros
At-hand experience
Cons
Unpaid
Friendly and relaxing place to work
Customer Service Represented (Current Employee) –  Covington, KYAugust 23, 2016
This was my second easiest job. I like talking to and helping people. My co-worker were one of the reasons I loved going to work and management was ok too. I learned to be understanding and that everyone will not share your views.
Great pay, fun place to work.
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work was just entering information into a computer while listening to the radio. I learned alot about the tax system. Management was mostly ok, but some were just plain dumb and always had something to say about you.
Co-workers were for the most part pretty cool. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay awake!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the incentive pay, which they pretty much did away with thanks to federal budget cuts. That's why i was laid off. Moved our jobs to Austin, tx!
Experience like no other
Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 13, 2016
Working for the Federal Government as a Team Coordinator in the Large Business & International Division, you gain exposure to the largest US multinational companies with the most complex transfer pricing, international and domestic compliance corporate tax issues.
Pros
Technical and US Government procedural experience
Cons
The general public's view of the organization :)
Good pay, benefits, hours, but corrupt, hypocritical manangement
Correspondence Examination Technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 25, 2016
IRS mgt. directs employees to lie on their time sheets so mgt. can distort performance results to obtain better personal evaluations and possibly upper mgt. received bonuses.

Mgt. lies then covers each other's backs.

Different standards of conduct for mgt. versus subordinates when mgt., as enforcers of the rules/regulations, should be held to a higher standard.

Nit-picky of irrelevant/minor matters.

Heavy handed with employees if they don't like what you're saying like commenting on unpaid furlough days while 16,000 Obamacare agents were being hired. They preach ethics in the Ethics Briefing that's required annually, but putting it in practice is completely different.
Halff or more of the IRS employees smoke marijuana because there's no drug testing after being hired.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, hours. Good work experience
Cons
Corrupt management, hostile work environment
productive and fun work enviroment
Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 24, 2016
Arrive ready to work and perform at 110 percent. I learned the use of different tax forms and how they benefit taxpayers. Management is always helpful and available. Meet lots of people every season. Hardest part is not working a full season. Most enjoyable are the potlucks!
Great Volunteering Opportunity
Tax Preparer Internship (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 15, 2016
One of the best opportunities I have had. It was a very humbling experience and made me want to continue to volunteer in the future and help others when I can. Great experience and I suggest college students to participate in the VITA program if they can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Revenue Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2