Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 2,349 reviews matching the search
Independent work with the public under a local manager
Revenue Agent/ Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 6, 2017
I enjoyed doing tax audit work, mostly dealing with CPAs and attorneys who represent their taxpayer clients. My work was conducted at either the client's business or home, or at the CPA or attorney's office. The IRS provides excellent internal training as you progress, but most need to have a bachelor's degree in accounting to be a Revenue Agent (CPA not required). The job can be stressful at times, but overall is quite good and you encounter all types of taxpayers and a wide varitety of businesses. Audit work is very detailed and you must be well organized and able to communicate both verbally and in writing.
Pros
Challenging work, decent pay
Cons
Managers can be difficult at times
Government job with a catch
Tax Examining Technician & Customer service (Former Employee) –  Holtsville, NYAugust 6, 2017
While working at the IRS, I learned a lot of things from multiple people and departments that has helped me in life going forward after I left the job. Being a seasonal employee was the most difficult part of the job with no true job security. It was a fun place to work with great people. Opportunities to advance were few but the opportunity to learn more & change departments is plenty. Benefits and pay was exceptional.
Great
Section Secretary (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 6, 2017
I was able to advance from a data entry clerk to a Section Secretary with 3 clerk typist under my supervision, I was the main person with many duties from payroll to supplies. I loved dealing with the customers that called with issues and visitors from other states.
Pros
Don't have to take your work home with you
Cons
Deal with people who are always angree
relaxed atmosphere
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 5, 2017
Good supervisor, good team work with other departments. no drudgery. always something exciting happening from getting a client refund corrected to finding checks in trash for 100, 000
Pros
good team in my department
Short but great
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo Municipio, PRAugust 4, 2017
I only work for the season but it was great. I learn a lot from my coworkers, they were very helpful and very comprehensive. Is a great place to work.
answered phone calls and worked amended returns
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  333 West Pershing Kansas City, MO 64999August 4, 2017
the job was fine. It was not really hard. The unit I worked in I got along with everybody. I worked there 7 years the job was fine. I had to quit due to health issues I was having.
Pros
pays well and has good benefits
Cons
training is not as good as it could be.
IRS Seasonal Customer Service Rep
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 4, 2017
This was an alright job with extensive training. That being said it was extraordinarily boring, and left me feeling very unfulfilled. Also we were not provided parking, with most of these positions being in major cities most people will have access to reliable public transportation, but thats not the case here and parking was costing me on average 250 a month. When you are paid 15 dollars an hour that is very hard to swing and I find that eve though I make less now I still have more spending money. The IRS is not required however to provide you with parking. Just an FYI.
Very productive workplace
Data Entry/Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2017
This job was very fast paced and quick thinking. A typical day was to open and input tax returns. Management was very knowledgeable about the tax laws and how they work and change periodically.
Pros
Freedom to think on your own
Cons
Short breaks
Too much micro-managing.
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 3, 2017
too much micro-managing and no real growth potential. In certain aspects of the job you were given the independence to make decisions and think outside the box.
Productive, fast paced place to work
Office Collection Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 2, 2017
Staff morale and teamwork was amicable. The work was fast paced but workplace was a safe productive place to work, and I looked forward to going to work each day.
Pros
private work space and support staff
Cons
limited parking
Fun place to work and very relaxes
Data Transcriber Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 2, 2017
A tpical day at work is very relaxing but you have to be on your p's & q's, you learn about 1040's. Work place culture offer challenging and meaningful work, invest in training, guide support, and Top Performers
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Stats are set to thoses who have been their 30 years
Tax Examining Technician Appeals (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2017
The experience to work here is great. It can sometimes be very stressful depending on overload of work and supervisor as well as co-workers. Best part of my job is learning a new task and mastering it. Hardest part of my job is completing work with limited training. Management needs a complete overhaul and needs to be brought up to current standards. I love helping customers
Pros
annual and sick leave, paid transportation monthly
Cons
not enough training, not able to work at home
Excellent Place to Work
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2017
Relaxing environment. Love the benefits. Lots of help. Hardest part of the job is finding snacks. The most enjoyable are the people. There is so much help from current employees.
Internal Revenue Service
Contract Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 31, 2017
Great place to work at! The work hours are flexible as far as teleworking. Great environment to work in and the people are excellent. I have learned great management skills and many database systems. A typical day at work can be very busy with meetings but the best part about it is the information is very useful and knowledgeable. Often awards are given out which makes working for the IRS fun and challenging.
Good volunteer experience for Accountants
(Volunteer Income Tax Assistance), Tax Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAJuly 31, 2017
Very fun experience and a good way to give back to your community using your accounting knowledge. I would encourage college/university to use this as an extra credit assignment.
Productive and fun workplace, even on slow days
Remittance Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 31, 2017
A typical day at work-I arrive at my desk 5 mins before my shift, coffee or soda in hand, ready to start work. Go grab a bundle of payments to be input. Continue to grab bundles of work throughout the day. Payments usually have to be researched so you know where to post the payment that you are working with. About an hour before end of shift, grab bundles that have been input and you review them briefly to be sure that they have been input correctly. You have to visually inspect some bundles.

We have two fifteen minute breaks and one lunch break, which is 30 mins. The IRS has a really nice cafeteria; the prices are not cheap but it costs about the same as if you eat out. And it's convenient because it's right in the same building, so no commuting has to occur. The favorite part of my job I loved was the people. I really miss my former co-workers. They made having to work fun! We talked, we laughed, and there were a lot of potluck lunches and dinners.
Pros
Good benefits, pension upon retirement, bonuses for performance, 401K
Cons
Very strict about security! Never, ever forget your badge at home. You won't be let in
The irs
Tax Examiner Clerk (Former Employee) –  Holtsville, NYJuly 30, 2017
The work at the local IRS was very formalized by the building and the procedures needed to be followed/carried out, so it was all new to me. The IRS was my first fulltime job, as a career position, in a federal agency. I learned the material that was required to do the job, but it was volumes of reading not to be done at one sitting. The people were nice, polite, and informative; so any questions would be answered readily. This was basically the work culture, in which you were to do a job, period, and it was up to you to sink or swim. But most probably you would benefit from making friends and asking the right questions from your supervisors.
I feel that I would have liked more group interaction during my years at the job, but the work was highly detailed, specific to the code, and involved a focused attention to all the matters.
The best part of the job was that you worked through the directions of Washington DC and you made corresponding entries as to the steps needed to follow their policies for the tax season.
Pros
Highly protected area
Cons
volumes of details to learn
IRS - no surprises
Office of Chief Counsel (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 30, 2017
It is the most governmental of all the government agencies. It is exactly like working for the company which brought you the 650 page leather bound "Paper Work Reduction Act". The work we did was honest and important, however, there were also several frustrating data breeches during my time there.
data
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 30, 2017
need to be quick with typing, as long as u can do that, this will be cool place..however, in order to make these rates there is no time for nothing else but typing
Internal Revenue Service
Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2017
I would strongly recommend IRS for anyone looking for a excellent paying job with great benefits. You can advance quickly if you are a good worker and by taking advantage of their educational opportunities.