Internal Revenue Service

Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Found 1,899 reviews matching the search
ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 27, 2016
management is incompetent
training is good and benefits great
low morale
no room to grow
pay low and not full time
no diversity
Nice work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 26, 2016
I used my knowledge of remittance processing functions of the Clerk Position to ensure that correct procedures were taken when necessary. I performed a variety of responsibilities in clerical assignments involving detailed procedures and practices of the organization. Some of my duties included training and developing new employees on the procedures of final batching. I made sure they received and recorded documents, as well as check all carts of incoming work. Management encouraged a well-rounded positive working environment
Pros
Good work environment, benefits
Cons
Being layed off/Seasonal employment
very fast and physical labor. Always having to learn a different tax law changes
mail/file clerk/quality lead (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 23, 2016
I would start working at 12 midnight and go to the mail room were we would receive the tax paper by the millions since the I.R.S in Fresno is the biggest out of all I.R.S. We were on a very secure part of the irs . The highest do to we would receive all the taxpayers money and also send the checks as well. Well cant say more but we would work from full time to over time and some times double time. i would be receiving cages of mail and have them all sort out with other maybe 20 to 30 coworkers and we would be sorting them out to their proper destination so they could get work on and process as soon as possible but what we had to carry and open and sort out was endless tax payers mail and properly sort them out. with the help of these huge machines that would sort out to proper destination. Cant say much than what already said than would be going out of work at 7:30 to go to work to my morning job at Roosevelt High as Special assist ed at 7:50 which was a couple of minutes away
Pros
love the hours and always learning and very secure
Cons
gaveyard
Rewarding employment financially as well as personally.
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Covington, KYSeptember 19, 2016
I have no complaints with having worked for the Internal Revenue Service. I found the work to be satisfying with varying degrees of difficulty and the knowledge that I was able to provide taxpayers with prompt, courteous, reliable information. This type of service intended to provide taxpayers with the utmost confidence in the service the Internal Revenue Service is expected to deliver with taxpayer security always at the forefront.
Pros
Excellent place for advancement
Cons
Held to very high standards
Flexible Schedule
Clerk/Tax Examining Tec (Current Employee) –  Covington, KYSeptember 19, 2016
This job has a flexible work schedule with great Federal Benefits and retirement program. Not much room for advancement or a permanent position.
Benefits
Cons
Not much room for advancement, building is closing in 2019
Wish they would rehire me.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 15, 2016
The job was tedious, but I felt secure and satisfied with the amount of work load provided to me. Learned better organization skill, became braver when approaching management to ask questions.
Pros
Repetition became perfection
Strict work place
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2016
A very fast paced environment where you can advance if you apply to various jobs. I feel that this job is great for someone straight out of college that is looking to advance in company.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor moral
Work Environment
Indian Tribal Governments Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 14, 2016
A balanced work-life based environment at Internal Revenue Service provides many opportunities to excel. Encouraging management and cooperative group members are value able assets of the organization and contribute a lot in employee's professional success.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
The hardest part of my job...
Accounts Management Lead Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 13, 2016
Is having to assess taxes to taxpayers that are unaware of the tax law and their liability to pay taxes. Educating taxpayers of their obligations and having a positive outcome to the situation is always a PLUS.
Love working at Internal Revenue Service
Tax Examining Technician (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 12, 2016
Love my job, get up early at 4 am off to work with prayers sent. Get my documents and proceed to check out my work at the work station. Date stamp and organize my work by year. Open up the computer system at my desk top and entry all my passwords. Start working my batch, after batch, after batch. Tax Examiner received and analyze taxpayer inquiries, requests for adjustment action, and other input documents to determine nature of problem. Research encoder books and other sources for pertinent data. Performed a full range of corrections to taxpayer accounts, adjust accounts, input credit transfers, recomputed penalty and interest.
Pros
love it
Cons
wish I worked all year
productive and a good learning work area
IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 12, 2016
Co-workers are all cooperative and exercise good team work.
I did enjoy the good communication skills among co-workers.
IRS Clerk
Order Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 9, 2016
My day consisted of office assignments, telephone registration of callers and data entry information to internal computer system.

Interactions with co-workers was minimal as each of us had our specific assignments during the tax season.

The most enjoyable part of this assignment was sitting at a deak and being able to work independently.
Pros
Great office envirornment
Cons
short term job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 9, 2016
I work for the IRS a typical day at work. I worked for the IRS for over three years. I have learned a lot at the IRS and meet a lot of people during my time there.
Productive, helpful
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CASeptember 8, 2016
Vita is an awesome program. I was able to meet new people and help out our community. Work was not too hard, but it got really busy at all times. my coworkers were awesome. It was very rewarding.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Very busy
review
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 8, 2016
Working for the IRS was challenging and fun. I had great supervisors and fun people to work with. I would recommend working for the IRS any opportunity you can.
Being and intern in the Equity, Division, Inclusions (EDI) Department
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2016
My typical day at work consist of finishing all task at hand given by the EDI Director. Which was plan and attend business meetings, design and update presentations, and basic administrative work.I learned how the federal government worked. When I first started working here the co-workers were very welcoming, they are always willing to help in my time need and I feel that is needed in the government. The hardest part of my job was really nothing, I enjoy doing what I do here. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to write newsletters for the EDI Director that were published in the Tax Exempt and Government Entities (TE/GE) Newsletter.
Pros
Got to do a lot of networking, and build my resume.
Cons
short lunch break
Assisted the claimant with his/her income tax return
Tax Representative Resolution (Former Employee) –  Redding, CASeptember 7, 2016
It was a pleasure to work for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). In my capacity, I was in a position to accommodate the taxpayer with most of their tax issues.
Pros
Great support
Cons
NONE
Tax Collections and Group Secretary
Group Secretary (OA) (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 5, 2016
Very busy. Varied from day to day. Collections position was well managed and had exceptional quality control aspects put in place at the local level, which was a tremendous help to the position.
The hardest part is doing more with less, and low salary to fit the job.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Out of date technology
Not for everyone
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 31, 2016
The money was the only thing keeping me there, after awhile that was not enough. I used to work here previously and it has changed a lot
Entertaining Government Job
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 30, 2016
Addendums were a daily task, constant changes were being made to the rules and regulations of the law. Tax Examiners are assigned to insert all documentation given to them into their employee manual.
Benefits
Cons
Repetitious

4.2