Internal Revenue Service
1,124 reviews

Internal Revenue Service Employer Reviews

gained productive experience related to taxes and enjoyed my work along with my team
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 28, 2014
The day was pretty busy which I like. I did to the best of my knowledge to help our clients to fulfill their needs regarding tax returns. Management was always pleased with my work. My team was the best and we supported each other if a problem occurred. In fine, a real team work. I cannot differentiate any hard part because the job itself was full of – more... business and hardness. The most enjoyable part was after work realizing that I was a great help and useful part of my team. As a result I got a certificate from IRS where it states about my unconditional dedication towards the job. – less
Excellant learning experience
Appeals Officer (Current Employee), Holtsville, NYSeptember 27, 2014
Great environment for learning and advancing. I was able to constantly learn new tax applications.
Regular job
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: always have pot lucks
Cons: work late hours....
Get in and get the job done....busy...busy....busy....
flkdsjflkdsjflksjlfsjlfjslkjfdlshroehriowhfohsaiehfoeshioe
working environment
Seasonal tax worker (Former Employee), Chamblee,georgiaSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: love work shops and training classes.
Cons: benifits
I love to work for this company,because it was a productive and fun environment. I learned to be the employee i can be.My manager was very helpful and encouraging.I had very supportive co-workers when i needed assistance.The hardest part of my job was settling down after work.The most enjoyable thing about my job was helping other people.
Government Job
CLERK (Initial Assistance Representative) (Current Employee), Newark, NJSeptember 26, 2014
Cons: pay, locatoin, hours.
• Provide assistance by assessing taxpayer needs and directing them to the appropriate individual.
• Analyze and suggest resolution to reduce barriers impacting the effectiveness of operations and improve efficiency of the work area.
• Assist taxpayers with inquiries on basic tax law, forms, and IRS services such as W-2, W-7, obtaining an Individual – more... Taxpayer Identification Number, filing requirements, filing status, and VITA locations.
• Examine returns, supporting documents, and monetary receipts for completeness and discrepancies.
• Use word processing and other software to produce a variety of correspondence in proper format, with responsibility for procedural and grammatical accuracy, factual correctness, and adequacy of treatment. – less
Good
Contributions Technician I (Former Employee), San Juan, PRSeptember 25, 2014
Good but was a limited contract job. Without a guaranteed Permanent placement inside government.
Great Manament and Team
Batching in 2013 (Former Employee), Fresno, CASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: lazy people
I ha every have worked at the IRS on and off since 1982 at a different position every year. I enjoy the atmosphere and the late nights and want to do it for five more years. While it says tax examiner as title, I worked in batching last year but the season was very short. My goal is to become a contact representative.
friendly co-workers
Tax Examining Technician (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 24, 2014
I have learned a lot This is a job where learning never quits. I guess that is why it is challenging and enjoyable at the same time.
Government Work
Tax Examiner (Current Employee), Covington, KYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: benefits, job security, salary
Cons: 1/2 hr lunches, unable to voice your opinion, no raises for the last 3 years, and hiring freezes that limit the amount of people you have to do the work!
My advice to anyone who plans on working for the government is do your research first. It's a wonderful place to work if you are looking for job security and great benefits but make sure you prepare yourself for the way things are when working for the government. It is not like anywhere else; that is for sure. Yes, you'll have benefits and job security – more... but I personally would rather have a boss that cares about me, knows me, and wants to help me grow with a company or business. It boils down to "quality of life" and what makes you happy and want to get out of bed everyday. For me I need more and government work isn't doing it for me anymore. – less
Challenging and interesting
Revenue Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: job security, challenging, flexible, and worked independently
Cons: pressure from upper management
I worked a caseload of 50 taxpayer to secure delinquent taxes
and/or returns. Analyzed taxpayer's ability to pay. If the taxpayer didn't meet deadlines, I had to take the appropriate enforcement action. I learned to investigate, research, and analyze financial statements to determine the taxpayers ability to pay. Management was more concern about the – more... number of cases closed instead of the quality of the work. My co-workers were team players. The hardest part of the job was taking enforcement action and the most enjoyable part of the job was working at home. – less
Challenging and good pay.
Internal Revneue Service Revenue Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: constantly being educated about tax law.
Cons: emotionally draining.
The Internal Revenue Service was very challenging and required attention to detail. The case load was overwhelming and there was never enough time in a day to complete task. We work with other agencies such as the Department of Justice and all the major financial institutes in resolving tax issues. We were under constant training in order to keep abreast – more... of the constantly changing tax laws. We had to be versed with the tax code as well as the tax manual. based on what political administration in office, we were constantly rilled in being astute to the national perspective on the position of the Internal Revenue Service. We had to initiate enforcement action against delinquent taxpayers as well as educate the public on tax policy. We used the tools given to us to help taxpayers in resolving their tax issues or taking enforcement against those who refused to comply. Overall there was never a dull moment while employed at the Internal Revenue Service. – less
Worked with various types of tax documents.
Tax Examiner (Former Employee), Detroit, MISeptember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, pay raises, extra time for lunch break during week of christmas.
Cons: crowded parking lot at end of workday.
Operating computer, keying information from documents, and sorting mail. I also learned to place certain documents in boxes, after sorting and keying them. Was able to get along with management and co-workers. Hardest part of the job was trying to meet deadlines, but the work was done in time. I enjoyed using the computer.
great place to work
Clerk (Current Employee), Covington, KYSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: great work inviroment
Cons: a lot of training
It allows me to earn extra money working part time for things that help in this economey
fun learning experience
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Sacramento, CASeptember 18, 2014
i helped prepare taxes as volunteer. smooth going had a lot of help.
Great Environment
REVENUE AGENT (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 17, 2014
Perfect job for the 9-5 type person, great benefits and room for advancement!
Enriching entry level experience in Tax field.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) (Former Employee), Bronx, New YorkSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: effective hands on experience with very helpful staffs.
Working at VITA was a great start up hands on experience for me. I was able to apply my book knowledge into the real world. The staffs were generously helpful, which is much needed for an entry level experience.
During the four hours shift each day, I was gradually able to file up to 6 clients tax papers. I very much enjoyed the acknowledgement I received – more... as I completed each cases more and more accurately. The cases were all personal tax files and easy, such that I am now confidently able to help my friends, families and colleagues file their personal taxes.
Since this employment was a volunteer service, it was great fun being of help. The most challenging part though was filing taxes for only Spanish speaking clients. Using my intermediate knowledge in Spanish from the classes I took in college and with the help of Google Spanish translator, I was able to get through successfully.
My managers were very helpful, understanding and friendly and so were the co-workers. I truly enjoyed working there! – less
Great job
Data Transcriptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great pay!
Cons: some jobs are seasonal
Good benefits. great pay. Enjoyed working here. Decent choice of hours. Differential pay for working night shifts and great opportunities for overtime.
Volunteer Work
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Current Employee), Milltown, NJSeptember 16, 2014
Volunteer work, Learn and help taxpayer to pay taxes to IRS correctly
Very Rote
Tax Examiner (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: having a job to go to
Cons: short breaks and lunch, talking more than a sentence or two is prohibited, you can usually hear a pin drop.
If you don't mind doing the same thing day after day with very little, if at all, any diversity this is the job for you.
Worth working for
Temporary Clerk (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 14, 2014
enjoyed working for IRS because I learned how to organize and deliver incoming mail, the different mail stops within the organization

About Internal Revenue Service

WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today released new withholding tables that will result in more take-home pay this spring – Read more