Internal Revenue Service Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
What we do matters.
Internal Revenue Agent...ITAS (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 4, 2017
A background in Accounting and or BS in accounting makes it easier when you are hired. Complex software not in the public domain.
Tax law changes and less than great software systems.
Lack of adequate pay,especially if you have student loans to pay.
Job security. We thought. But threats of closing the government.
A plus, we all work together to resolve complex issues and to provide great service to our taxpayers.
Rating 25 of 30
Pros
Good benefits, annual leave, sick leave
Cons
Low pay, face to face contact with upset tax payers.
workplace
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 4, 2017
A typical work day goes quickly and you will learn a lot. I enjoy how much I have learned here and I am happy that I work at this company. The government offers a lot of benefits, including health, life, exercise, and total wellness.
Nothing negative to say, I love it there.
Supervisor Tax Examining Assistant (Current Employee) –  Covington, KYSeptember 3, 2017
Come to work n time, work your TOD, get engaged. There are a lot of opportunities there. Take care of you, don't worry about the next person. Resoectb
Relax Intership
Volunteer of Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Verne, CASeptember 1, 2017
It is an unpaid intership. I enjoyed the working time. Manager is nice and patient. Working hours are flexible, I was still at school when doing the intership, the manager allows me work flexible hours to work for my school schedule.
Pros
flexible
Productive and fun workplace!
Information Return Processor-Detail (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2017
Great place to work. Looking forward to work there again when the opportunity presents itself. Alot of room to grow, learn, promote, and flexible scheduling!
Pros
Able to have a job!
Cons
I enjoyed working at the IRS fun people and team playeret mangwr
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA15,000September 1, 2017
Great place to work and easy to advance with the company as long as you pay attention in training very fast passed job..missing days with no leave is not expected from you..being a team player is a must..
Tax Preparer
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) (Current Employee) –  Blytheville, ARSeptember 1, 2017
A tax preparer must also thoroughly review the completed tax return before filed with the IRS. Professional to be able to answer questions regarding financial matters and basic tax law. Use their knowledge of state, federal and local tax codes to help clients receive the maximum benefit allowed under the law.
Work life balance for accounting graduates
Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 1, 2017
Preplanned audit examinations in order to determine potential issues. Hardest part of the job was performing your first examination due to not knowing how taxpayers would respond to notification of audit
good place to work
ITIN Batching Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 31, 2017
They move you from one dept. to others wherever they need help. You can learn a lot of things but the hardest part of the job, you should keep up the volume that already set and change all the time.
Pros
good benefit
Cons
unstable job
Excellent job
INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER ADVISORY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Dothan, AL 36303August 29, 2017
I love my job at the Internal Revenue Service. However, right now I am a seasonal employee and will be on furlough for 3 months beginning September 2, 2017. I expect to return to work with the IRS on November 27, 2017 if not before.
Pros
Helping taxpayers
Cons
I am only seasonal right now
Very great work place.
Appeals Officer (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 29, 2017
I have enjoyed it for 28 years. I am just ready to learn something new. They have many areas and give training in each one. Anyone could do well there.
Irs
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 29, 2017
I have worked at the IRS seasonally since I was 18 yrs old. My only regret is not applying for a permanent position when I was younger. I am looking into advancement.
Excellent place to work with plenty of opportunties
Data Entry Clerk - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 29, 2017
IRS is a great place to work. They do offer paid vacations, sick days, and holiday pay. However, I did not work long enough to be a part of those benefits. I was asked to return the following season, for a longer stay, but I turned them down for another job closer to home. I wished I accepted their offer. I had a great time working there.
Pros
Excellent work conditions, inside cafeteria, vending machines, lunch rooms, and secured parking
Cons
It was only seasonal
Identity theft analyst
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2017
Customer service representative work with identity theft taxpayers to resolve tax account issue related to fraud returns being filed to obtain refunds based on database breach or company related theft of personal information
Pros
Rewarding feeling
Cons
Complex research
Very good employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 29, 2017
I worked there for 30 years, I have seen a lot of changes and not all for the best. At first it was a great place to work. But as time went on things started changing and changing and after 30 years it is just not what it use to be.
Pros
Good benefits and was very understanding about family
Cons
Expects way to much from there employees
Love this work environment
Tax Examining Technician/ Mail clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 29, 2017
You pretty much work on your own, the managers there that I have had has been supper helpful when you need them. I would recommend. Depending on what dept you are in you could be answering questions or or dealing with paper work.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Seasonal only positions
Mixed fast-paced and slow-paced work with lots of friendly people.
Destination Adventure Cycling Coach (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAAugust 28, 2017
The IRS is a busy workplace that records and serves millions of taxpayers each year. Unfortunetly there are some who are new or unable to complete their 1040 forms without errors, so my job was the transcribe their documents and rewrite them via mail the need to correct their forms.
Great
CPA (Former Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 28, 2017
Good place with amazing beefits if you are intending on going tot he irs for more adavacne ment potential than your average paac egreat work lifew balamace amazing people
Pros
Free lunch
Great Government Job
Data Transcriber/Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAAugust 28, 2017
Was a very relaxed environment for a government position.Was well paid if job was done correctly. During tax time plenty of overtime.I was employed by the Internal Revenue Service for 10 years.
Pros
Federal Government
Cons
Closed Down
My job at the Department of the Treasury
CLERK GS4 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78741August 28, 2017
Working at the Department of the Treasury was great. I learned many things and worked in different departments. I learned how to sort, review files, batch files, date stamp documents, data entry conversion, 10 key data entry conversion, pull files, and prepare files.
My mgr. and lead were awesome, very patient, kind, great teacher's in showing us how to learn new things. They would work with us individually if needed till we completely understood the work programs. And when we worked in other departments, the other leads would help us in the same way. I picked up on the new details right away because I had awesome teacher's who made it easy to understand the different programs. My co workers were great also, we helped each other also in learning the new programs.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that it would come to an end. I furloughed out, August 15, 2017.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with an awesome group of people who go out of their way for you, helping you to learn the different departments and programs. And of course, the pot lucks we shared together.