Internal Security Associates Employee Reviews

a good company to work for
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 19, 2016
a good job, a great area boss, flex when need days off, great co-workers (team). its fun to go to work every day due to every day is different, you are not micro managed.
Pros
pay
Cons
travel
Absolutely no management.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 23, 2016
Absolutely no management. No one running the company has any clue what they are doing. They can't keep any decent employees because no one wants to stay and work for this company. They over work you, force you to work over time, won't approve any time off. If you're sick they threaten you to come to work or you'll be let go. The guys you work with on the ground level are mostly good guys. A lot of vets and retired law enforcement but that only keeps you happy for a short time. Most guys only last a few months before they realize how horrible of a company it truly is. You'll probably lose money with the amount of traveling and driving they force you to do. Stay away. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Every single thing involving the company.
Great job for aspiring Law Enforcement
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
I've worked for ISA for 6 months and everything so far is going great. It is a fun and diverse work environment, and there is plenty of room for advancing. The communication between the upper management and site staff is very good, which makes the job easier on everyone. The hours are relatively flexible and there is almost always opportunity for over time.
Pros
Room for advancing, job security, flexible hours, Veteran friendly
Cons
no facial hair, might not have a set schedule right away
Good place to work & advance your career
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
I am a current employee at the company and have been working here for a 1.5 years. I personally am satisfied with the company. I have stayed with this company because they offer good hours, plenty of overtime if you are willing to work, & offers room to advance if you are doing your job well. It's an easy job to perform as long as you can be attentive, thorough, & courteous. Other great opportunities to build your résumé by working in state buildings, private details, & the Boston Marathon. All great experience & opportunities for anyone who can perform well with patrons & site visitors. The only way to be disappointed in your employment experience, would be if you come to work with a poor attitude.
Pros
Great coworkers & management. Great opportunities & room for advancement. Sites are T-accessible.
Cons
Might not have set schedule at start of employment. No facial hair.
Great company with long term potential
Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
This is a very good company to work for and it blows other security companies out of the water, both when it comes to employee relations and pay scales. If you do well in your position then you will actually have potential to move up which is rare in private security.

There are sites that are 24/7 so there is flexibility with shifts and most of them are T accessible.

Management is great and you will always feel like someone has your back if you have an issue at work.
Pros
Paid time off/paid sick leave
Great job to build experience.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2016
I started working with ISA just over 3 years ago. I had nothing but good impressions going in and it only got better. I was promoted very quickly and was given lots of overtime opportunity. It was a little hectic at first, a little bit of bouncing around before getting settled into a set schedule. Shortly after getting my schedule squared away, I was promoted to a SGT/ shift supervisor. Once my LTC came in, the company promoted me to an armed officer, also came with a pay bump. I finally settled into a position working at a private organization, Mon-Fri. with guaranteed overtime. I did that for just over 2 years before being brought up into Management. Its a great place for Veteran who are transitioning into the civilian population, as was the case for me. Pay is better than other security companies, and all sites are either MBTA accessible or parking will be provided, if not, usually get reimbursed for parking expenses.
Pros
Veteran preferred, very flexible scheduleing, better starting pay than other security companies.
Cons
Starting out, may have some bouncing around, no facial hair, some sites may not have parking but everything is T accessible
Great Company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2016
Great company to work for! Great potential for advancement if your a go getter. Good hours and opportunity for overtime. Management does a great job of taking care of their personnel. As a retired Military professional, I can say that this company is professional and takes care of those who are professional as well.
Pros
Management, Hours, Sites and Pay
Stay away from this company
Force Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2016
All upper level personnel are lying dirtbags. They'll promise you every thing you want and give you the exact opposite. Then when you ask questions you get smoke blown up your a**. These guys have mastered the art of treating their employees like s**t. I would skip any job listing associated with this company.
Pros
Site coworkers
Cons
Owner, Chief of Operations, Regional Supervisors, 85% of upper management
Professional Company
security officer (Current Employee) –  Monson, MAJanuary 4, 2016
Very good company to work for… Retired cop, working P/T in Monson for the past several months; I would say that they are a good company. The supervisors are top-notch, and the office people were VERY professional when I dealt with them. I was interviewed by the CEO, and he was very honest about the job site and the work.

They may have a high turn-over rate, but I wouldn’t blame the company for that. In this line of work, you have to be strict, and run a tight ship; that means terminating people who screw-up. If a company like ISA did anything differently, I wouldn’t have much faith in them.

What ISA does is give you an opportunity to work. You’re not digging ditches, so the job isn’t going to kill you, all they ask is that you show up on time, be observant, and follow directions. In other words, put your Big Boy pants on, and do what you’re being paid to do.

I see a lot of negative reviews on this site, but I think you have to consider the source; security companies are not police departments. If you’re looking for a cop job, take the test, but I can tell you from experience, if you can’t handle the strict discipline of a company like ISA – good luck at the police academy; it will be the hardest 15 minutes of your life.
Pros
Plenty of work, good supervisors
Company is bad
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2015
Other than meeting great contacts at your locations, pay is bad, no raises,poor management.People of color are not allowed to work at some locations.Their expectations are so high.You need to have a military or police background but yet veterans are treated like a joke.They can fire you whenever they want and they don't have a union by the way.
Pros
MEETING GREAT PEOPLE AT YOUR LOCATIONS
Cons
NO RAISED, FORCED OVERTIME, POOR MANAGEMENT
Avoid at all costs.
Armed Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2015
I worked for the company for 2 years doing everything that was asked. They always send email proclaiming how great their benefits are, when they're awful-mediocre at best and you have to work for numerous months to qualify. They are under-staffed and do not hire enough staff to covered most of their sites. They attempt to force people to work overtime regularly. They take opportunities to blame everyone not in upper management. They never give recommendations when you are being reviewed for full-time LEO positions, and merely give an acknowledgement you worked there regardless of how well you worked. They will suspend people over rumors without proof of wrong doing, and these suspensions can last several weeks. They also transfer people to poor sites over 'inconsistent' reasoning at best. They poorly reward loyal workers and often trample over people doing a good job at their site for little reason at all.
Pros
Better pay than some
Cons
EVERYTHING (other than base pay)
Satisfied current employee
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2015
Realistically this is a very good company to work for. I've been here two years and I get along with everyone from officers to the owner of the company. I come from a military background and can appreciate the light military style that is adapted here. This is one of the easiest gigs you can ever have if you want it to be a stepping stone for other ventures in life. Truth be told if you can't hack it here then you won't hack it any where else, this is the easiest job you could ever ask for. All that is asked of you is to come in on time, in uniform, shaven and your day is already off to great start. The hardest thing I'd say that I deal with is probably unruly visitors and even then my supervisor or manager always backs me up if it gets out of hand, which usually that rarely happens. As far as those unhappy ex employees, why would you stay some where for up 2-4 years if you were that unhappy? Anyone with common sense would know those type of angry reviews come from people who were terminated for beyond poor work performance. I've seen guys do some crazy things at work that I just couldn't believe they would think is alright but to each his own. Don't miss out because others lack the skills to maintain a perfectly stable work environment.
Only good to pay bills, kinda
Guard (Current Employee) –  Majority of sitesOctober 14, 2015
Worst company ever. Upper leadership does not care about you, your clients, or fellow guards. Your direct supervisor at the site however will. If you are looking for another job or career, this is not a bad job. Its not particularly difficult, and boring 90% of the time. This is also good for retirees. I enjoy working at my site but this is a company that only cares about lining the pocket of the owner. You are just a warm body and easily fire-able.
Pros
You get $15/ hour, easy job.
Cons
Poor leadership/ toxic leadership, no advancement, no set site (you can work in Boston one day, and Springfield the next), no benefits worth mentioning, lack of staff makes sites understaffed.
all the 1 star reviews are on point
Force Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 3, 2015
Don't be fooled by ISA it's an awful company its runs similar to rear D in the army with leadership that has no idea what they're doing and I know you're thinking I'm a disgruntled employee but this is a common opinion people are not promoted based on merit or time in grade just who happens to be on shift that day there are no raises and due to mass quitting that happen every 4 months you'll be in mandatory over time indefinitely most of the sites are remote and fairly dangerous you will be assigned to them alone and don't have any expectations of a raise
Pros
Cons
don't apply
Future LEO Stay Away
Armed Secury Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston MaJuly 25, 2015
I worked for the company for 2 years. Hustling, doing all that was necessary for myself and ISA. I have applied to Police Officer positions and they do research on ISA. You could be there best officer, and they will give you an okay recommendation. I sincerely regret working for this company. All the upper management think they are glorified police officers.
Pros
N/a
Great Company for Aspiring Cops
Management (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2015
The people are of a much higher caliber at this company than any other companies I've seen in this industry. The rank and file officer is almost always a military veteran who is working towards a degree on the GI Bill and/or waiting on a law enforcement list. The management is mostly retired law enforcement and are good mentors to the younger officers who are aspiring to law enforcement careers. I've watched hundreds of our officers go into local, state, and federal law enforcement careers directly from ISA.
Pros
Co-workers and pay
A very greedy and un caring company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 13, 2015
i Have been with ISA for about a year. It's a set salary of 14.25 an hour unarmed with no raises. The chances of promotion are truly slim to none especially if you're of ethnic background. You'll always receive your 40 hours and they'll always ask you to work overtime. It's okay to say no sometimes other times they'll threaten to fire you if you don't work it. They offer health at a steep price and there is no dental. Vacation time is not a given but has to be earned. For every pay period(2 weeks) that you work you must work 78 hours in order to earn 3 hours of "Paid Time Off". Which begins accumulating after your 90 day probation. After a year of employment I earned 3 days.... They constantly watch you on cameras and have no regard for personal life. There are no floaters to cover personal/sick days. Your mothers funerals today? "Well you better be at work today we're in a real bind." That's also a very true story.

My advice to you look elsewhere. Here you'll be worked into the ground and no one cares. No Christmas bonus not even a card saying thank you. Psh good luck getting christmas off for that matter. So if you don't mind being treated like nothing and want lots of OT. Than this jobs for you.

P.S. Veterans Stay Away!
Pros
Guaranteed 40 hours plus OT
Cons
Short Breaks, Set Pay, Rude Upper Management And Only Given One Uniform.
Unarmed Security
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
While i enjoyed working for this company overall and on a day to day basis didn't have anything to really complain about the overall structure of the company was very chaotic, any overtime would be given very last minute (asking Friday for a Saturday shift when higher ups have known they needed it filled for a week or more) There were occasions when the online schedule was completely wrong and when scheduling manager was contacted about it confirmed the wrong schedule, when myself and others arrived at posted times we were asked by site manager why we were late. Site Manager and personnel regularly assigned to location were a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Better than average pay
Cons
Poor High Level Management
Good company to work for
Security officer (Current Employee) –  BostonNovember 17, 2014
Company has been extremely good. They promote from within, so although everyone starts at a post, advancement is attainable and very quickly if you stand out. For the first three weeks you will be moved between sites and have a varying schedule. After that, almost everyone is settled in a permanent schedule with few changes, if any.
Steady work
Force Protection Officer (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2014
Protection of life & property in state offices as an Armed Officer, Working along side state employees and assisting with any problems that may arise while dealing with the public. On your feet most of the day. The best part of the day is knowing you kept the workplace safe and everyone went home.
Pros
Steady work with great coworkers
Cons
Low wages and No advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Internal Security Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9