Internal Security Associates

Internal Security Associates Employee Reviews

Great Company for Aspiring Cops
Management (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Co-workers and pay
The people are of a much higher caliber at this company than any other companies I've seen in this industry. The rank and file officer is almost always a military veteran who is working towards a degree on the GI Bill and/or waiting on a law enforcement list. The management is mostly retired law enforcement and are good mentors to the younger officers who are aspiring to law enforcement careers. I've watched hundreds of our officers go into local, state, and federal law enforcement careers directly from ISA.
A very greedy and un caring company
Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Guaranteed 40 hours plus OT
Cons: Short Breaks, Set Pay, Rude Upper Management And Only Given One Uniform.
i Have been with ISA for about a year. It's a set salary of 14.25 an hour unarmed with no raises. The chances of promotion are truly slim to none especially if you're of ethnic background. You'll always receive your 40 hours and they'll always ask you to work overtime. It's okay to say no sometimes other times they'll threaten to fire you if you don't work it. They offer health at a steep price and there is no dental. Vacation time is not a given but has to be earned. For every pay period(2 weeks) that you work you must work 78 hours in order to earn 3 hours of "Paid Time Off". Which begins accumulating after your 90 day probation. After a year of employment I earned 3 days.... They constantly watch you on cameras and have no regard for personal life. There are no floaters to cover personal/sick days. Your mothers funerals today? "Well you better be at work today we're in a real bind." That's also a very true story.

My advice to you look elsewhere. Here you'll be worked into the ground and no one cares. No Christmas bonus not even a card saying thank you. Psh good luck getting christmas off for that matter. So if you don't mind being treated like nothing and want lots of OT. Than this jobs for you.

P.S. Veterans Stay Away!
Unarmed Security
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
Pros: better than average pay
Cons: poor high level management
While i enjoyed working for this company overall and on a day to day basis didn't have anything to really complain about the overall structure of the company was very chaotic, any overtime would be given very last minute (asking Friday for a Saturday shift when higher ups have known they needed it filled for a week or more) There were occasions when the online schedule was completely wrong and when scheduling manager was contacted about it confirmed the wrong schedule, when myself and others arrived at posted times we were asked by site manager why we were late. Site Manager and personnel regularly assigned to location were a pleasure to work with.
Good company to work for
Security officer (Current Employee), BostonNovember 17, 2014
Company has been extremely good. They promote from within, so although everyone starts at a post, advancement is attainable and very quickly if you stand out. For the first three weeks you will be moved between sites and have a varying schedule. After that, almost everyone is settled in a permanent schedule with few changes, if any.
Steady work
Force Protection Officer (Temp) (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 16, 2014
Pros: steady work with great coworkers
Cons: low wages and no advancement
Protection of life & property in state offices as an Armed Officer, Working along side state employees and assisting with any problems that may arise while dealing with the public. On your feet most of the day. The best part of the day is knowing you kept the workplace safe and everyone went home.
Great Company... Lots of room to grow!
Site Supervisor (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 14, 2014
I've been with ISA for a little over 5 months and the room for growth is endless. I started off as an officer working different post through out the building and within months I was promoted to SGT and now Lieutenant and running one of the most highly visible state building in Boston. Management is been nothing but amazing. Since day one they have always had my back. Communication is key with any company and ISA believes in that strongly. Any hour of the day, management can be reached.

I disagree with all of the negative reviews. Truthfully as long as you come into work everyday, ON TIME, clean and with a great attitude, there will be plenty of room for you to grow and be successful.
Ok job, sketchy company
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee), Bourne, MAOctober 10, 2014
They don't know how to schedule, pay is ok if they put you in, for the hours you worked, you have to buy most of your own equipment, and they give you ripped and used uniforms. They don't know how to schedule, and the bosses think they are cops.
Stay away
Armed Security Officer/Armed Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Boston, MASeptember 18, 2014
Stay away from this company. They'll work you into the ground wont give you a pay raise move you around to multiple sites and then set out to burn you.
A very mismanaged company....avoid them.
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 30, 2014
Military veterans and former Law Enforcement personnel beware. At first glance this company might appear to be put together and professional, but be forewarned that this company is ALL smoke and mirrors. They hire personnel on the basis of having a DD214, resume and not much else. The hiring is done solely by the President of the company who is a licensed attorney in the Commonwealth of MA and who claims to an extensive professional career. However, this is the mythology and mystique the company rests on. All policies and decisions are made by him and are unilaterally executed by a very small group of loyal company "officers".

Here is a list of things you might expect to see from ISA:

No professional criminal background check was ever performed, no hiring packet (I-9, W4 or wage information) until "requested" from the HR office, a drug urinalysis was finally conducted after 2 weeks having already worked without a screening at a Commonwealth of Massachusetts site, no training program of any kind, literally no forms were given or signed (EEO, Harassment, Company handbook, health insurance etc.)

Every employee is a "floater". You will not have a permanent place to work. You can expect to be cycled through multiple sites weekly. Often in places with no provisions or parking for employees. Get your walking shoes and MBTA Charlie card out.

Track your time, and track it well because your paycheck may be missing hours, days or even a whole pay period and forget about PTO, vacation and sick time. Watch out for your "last" paycheck too, it may come well past the allotted time given – more... my State and Federal standards. There is one person who functions as the financial officer and this person does not deal well with demands from employees. Expect to be ignored.

Finally, beware of their business practices on a whole. The company often skirts what might be considered an ethical line.

This company has numerous State contracts and at least one DoD contract.

Beware and keep looking. – less
Professional Company
Force Protection Officer (Current Employee), Bourne, MAJune 7, 2014
Pros: some sites have free parking, paid lunch time.
Cons: not enough sites across the state, min personnel.
Very Professional Company. Pays more than most security companies. Various Armed site "JFHQ, Joint Base Cape Cod as well as DTA and DIA.
Offers Firearms training, medical training, CPR. Company Firearms for some sites.
Pays for Ammunition
Issues uniforms, cold weather/ rain gear, bullet proof Vest and duty belts with holsters and magazine holders. OC Spray.
Has company cars for mobile units.

Hires mostly veterans or retired police.

Hardest part of the job is driving to site.
Senior Dock Master (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 9, 2014
A work day at ISA is very prestigious job. On a typical day you safeguard all government & state employees.
Poor communications from Supervisors
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee), MAMay 1, 2014
Cons: no supervisors or training. lack of communication from supervisors.
Company lacked leadership. You could not get time off, uniforms and keep track of your earned PTO time, as they will try to cheat you out of it. No training, expected all employees to do what they are told, no family life.
Great company with room to grow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: solid medical, paid time off, room for advancement
It is dismaying to see all the poor reviews of ISA. Everyone has a different experience with the company for which they work, and its just unfortunate that people who have good experiences don't often write reviews. I have been working for ISA for three years now, and I am grateful for my job here. I have learned a lot of valuable skills. My on the job training was extremely helpful and I have always been given all the tools I need to work effectively and efficiently. The management style is firm, but always fair, as it should be. When protecting people, strict policy is extremely important. In my experience, I have found that for employees who perform well, ISA offers plenty of room for advancement. We are given regular reviews of our performance and receive compensation as well as advancement opportunities. ISA offers a fantastic medical insurance program, which is very important for employees with families. The most enjoyable part of this job is the people with whom I work. That's the part I love most, as there is a real sense of teamwork here. Sometimes we are asked to help out, as is the case with any job, but management really does their best to provide good schedules for all the employees here. There are a lot of employees here at ISA, so its a company with a lot of moving parts, but when its evident that management is doing their best, it makes me strive harder to do my best. All jobs have positive and negative aspects...that's a given, but its great to be with a company that makes me feel valued as an employee.
This company can get you hours needed however it is not professional at all
Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: some sites paid lunch and paid parking (not all)
Cons: short break, they do not always pay you, no advancement, strict rules, poor management, poor scheduling, no training
I worked here for about 2 years slaving away for the company covering shifts left and right getting about 3-4 hours of sleep regularly for about a year. In the end to be let go because I was demonstrating how to make a restraint to a client from rope. I never got a raise or offered a promotion. I had shifts cancelled on me last minute after arriving with no compensation. I was asked to bounce around site to site mid shift using my own POV without compensation for fuel or paid travel time. I wasn't paid for countless hours I had worked equalling over thousands of dollars when questioned about my money they made excuses and covered up my hours worked. They also just let me go this past friday and have known about more pay that they did not pay me for, for over a month now. They do not show paid time off on pay schedule and you have to inquire about how much you have accrued. At that point they may not even have an accurate dipiction as they do not know and it takes 20 times asking to get an answer. The positive of the company some of the guys are great and they do have a few good supervisors. However this company will quickly terminate you over the littlest things as soon as they feel their lack of book keeping is starting to make you unhappy with their preformance. In all Im sure this company has skimmed 10's if not 100's of thousdands of dollars of the state they are employed by and their employess. Be mindful if you apply to this company to keep an active eye on your hours worked and what you are paid for. From day 1 or expect them to steal form you.
One word to describe ISA.... Horrible!
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: none what so ever
Cons: no benefits at all, no job training, and horrible leadership!!!
I would avoid working for ISA like the plague! There is only 1 good thing about the company, the pay is slightly better than other security companies.

Their leadership is incompetent, they hide everything from the owner, and their policies are idiotic. They will make you drive 2+ hours to go to a range to qualify and only pay you for 3 hours... even though its 1 hour of shooting plus 4 hours of driving.

The VP needs to learn how to delegate his responsibilities to other people, he tries to be a hero and do everything himself. A great example would be it took 41 days for them to back pay me for 1 day they didn't pay me.
Interesting place to work
UNARMED SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 14, 2013
Pros: overtime or holiday duties.
Cons: short break and lunch.
A typical day at work is always routine with an exception of your posts throughout the day,there are diverse activities based upon your location at any given time.Management is somewhat accomodating where possible and co-workers are also diverse individuals.The hardest part of the day is when your shift is closing to the end and you are still on your feet after a couple of hours.The most enjoyable part of the job is payday.
Horrible Company
Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 15, 2013
Pros: met nice people on site
Cons: war vet? who cares your just another piece of manuer to this company
I worked for ISA for a whole year before I was pretty much fired. I originally applied for the hotel security full time position, and was told my training would take place at Mass bay community college. For my 3 days of training I rotted in a parking lot for 8 hours a day in the winter watching the same cars the campus police were monitoring from insider the building with cameras. I was then moved to the Mass bay campus in Framingham, where I continued to work full time for two weeks. After that my full time hours were gone and I was on a call if we need you type shift. After a month of no full time I tried to get back on unemployment. When I was rejected by unemployment, I called and they said ISA checked a box saying I declined hours and they were offering me more time. Feeling betrayed, I told management I would rather just work weekend shifts.

After 10 months for the weekend shift I was pretty much fired because an officer on campus said I verbally abused her. Management wanted me to apologize to her and I refused. Never once did I say anything to her so why was I apologizing? Well a month after all that management calls me back saying he wants me back at that campus. I told him keep your job and stuff it because I was not dealing with that nonsense anymore.

Never got gear, seasoned employees for ISA were stealing the winter jackets and rain jackets on site. The gym at the framingahm site was a huge black mold farm, and the school tried saying ISA was in charge on ensuring it stays secure.

If you worked on that site and need pictures of the black mold pool to defend your – more... case let me know I have plenty. overall management treats veterans like they are pieces of manuer. Employees usually quit within a few weeks of working there, and you will work with other police officers who get paid 50k a year and do less then you do.

During the school shooting they beefed up security at the college, the police officers were scared and fully armored up hiding in the office while making ISA who had no type of protection go out and patrol the school.

Company is garbage, and if you ever have pay issues, keep a record because they love to hold back on paying people what is owed. – less
A decent company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 29, 2013
Pros: goo work environment.
Cons: no benefits
The only problem with working for ISA was the lack of medical or dental benefits.
great workers, terrible leadership
guard (Former Employee), bostonJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
I only made it a few months with ISA before quiting. The VP who was also a supervisor was constantly late on schedules. As a Army Sgt. Having one officer for a huge site isNOT securing a dang LlllThing so it makes you feel you have zero control if something. Dangerous was to go down. Wearing a suit and tie and dress shoes to stand in 25 degree rain for 12 hrs..alone. health insurance is NOT affordable even thought its cost shared. VP is a soldier wannabe and ALWAYS spoke and poked fun about clients orientation y and bodies. I could record him and have the Ceo fire him right away. If I was that kind of guy.

March 21, 2013

I have noticed for several months that this Company has been advertising for armed and unarmed security officers. With experience as an armed security officer, I filed an application but received no response. Yet, this Company continually advertises for both armed and unarmed security officers. Suspicious I may be running into some kind of discrimination, such as age discrimination -- I am well over 50 -- I called the Human Resource Manager. After several attempts, I finally got hold of him. Most of the time he did not answer his telephone and, when I left messages on his answering machine, he never bothered to return my calls. When I finally hold of him, I found him most abusive with me over the telephone. Then he lied to me. He told me his Company had "no openings for security officers." If so, then why do they continually advertise for armed and unarmed security officers? After a study of this problem, I determined I am a victim of age discrimination.

Just a job.
Night Operations Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 19, 2012
Cons: no parking for day shift. very hard if you have kids.
hardsest part of the job lack of communication. if you have kids and work nights and weekends kiss all you family time away. no help so you can have holidays off with your kids.

About Internal Security Associates

ISA provides highly professional security, consulting and investigative services to major international corporations, the military – Read more

Internal Security Associates Salaries