Internal Security Associates

Internal Security Associates Employer Reviews

A very mismanaged company....avoid them.
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 30, 2014
Military veterans and former Law Enforcement personnel beware. At first glance this company might appear to be put together and professional, but be forewarned that this company is ALL smoke and mirrors. They hire personnel on the basis of having a DD214, resume and not much else. The hiring is done solely by the President of the company who is a licensed – more... attorney in the Commonwealth of MA and who claims to an extensive professional career. However, this is the mythology and mystique the company rests on. All policies and decisions are made by him and are unilaterally executed by a very small group of loyal company "officers".

Here is a list of things you might expect to see from ISA:

No professional criminal background check was ever performed, no hiring packet (I-9, W4 or wage information) until "requested" from the HR office, a drug urinalysis was finally conducted after 2 weeks having already worked without a screening at a Commonwealth of Massachusetts site, no training program of any kind, literally no forms were given or signed (EEO, Harassment, Company handbook, health insurance etc.)

Every employee is a "floater". You will not have a permanent place to work. You can expect to be cycled through multiple sites weekly. Often in places with no provisions or parking for employees. Get your walking shoes and MBTA Charlie card out.

Track your time, and track it well because your paycheck may be missing hours, days or even a whole pay period and forget about PTO, vacation and sick time. Watch out for your "last" paycheck too, it may come well past the allotted time given my State and Federal standards. There is one person who functions as the financial officer and this person does not deal well with demands from employees. Expect to be ignored.

Finally, beware of their business practices on a whole. The company often skirts what might be considered an ethical line.

This company has numerous State contracts and at least one DoD contract.

Beware and keep looking. – less
Professional Company
Force Protection Officer (Current Employee), Bourne, MAJune 7, 2014
Pros: some sites have free parking, paid lunch time.
Cons: not enough sites across the state, min personnel.
Very Professional Company. Pays more than most security companies. Various Armed site "JFHQ, Joint Base Cape Cod as well as DTA and DIA.
Offers Firearms training, medical training, CPR. Company Firearms for some sites.
Pays for Ammunition
Issues uniforms, cold weather/ rain gear, bullet proof Vest and duty belts with holsters and magazine holders. OC – more... Spray.
Has company cars for mobile units.

Hires mostly veterans or retired police.

Hardest part of the job is driving to site. – less
Senior Dock Master (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 9, 2014
A work day at ISA is very prestigious job. On a typical day you safeguard all government & state employees.
Poor communications from Supervisors
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee), MAMay 1, 2014
Cons: no supervisors or training. lack of communication from supervisors.
Company lacked leadership. You could not get time off, uniforms and keep track of your earned PTO time, as they will try to cheat you out of it. No training, expected all employees to do what they are told, no family life.
Great company with room to grow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: solid medical, paid time off, room for advancement
It is dismaying to see all the poor reviews of ISA. Everyone has a different experience with the company for which they work, and its just unfortunate that people who have good experiences don't often write reviews. I have been working for ISA for three years now, and I am grateful for my job here. I have learned a lot of valuable skills. My on the – more... job training was extremely helpful and I have always been given all the tools I need to work effectively and efficiently. The management style is firm, but always fair, as it should be. When protecting people, strict policy is extremely important. In my experience, I have found that for employees who perform well, ISA offers plenty of room for advancement. We are given regular reviews of our performance and receive compensation as well as advancement opportunities. ISA offers a fantastic medical insurance program, which is very important for employees with families. The most enjoyable part of this job is the people with whom I work. That's the part I love most, as there is a real sense of teamwork here. Sometimes we are asked to help out, as is the case with any job, but management really does their best to provide good schedules for all the employees here. There are a lot of employees here at ISA, so its a company with a lot of moving parts, but when its evident that management is doing their best, it makes me strive harder to do my best. All jobs have positive and negative aspects...that's a given, but its great to be with a company that makes me feel valued as an employee. – less
This company can get you hours needed however it is not professional at all
Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: some sites paid lunch and paid parking (not all)
Cons: short break, they do not always pay you, no advancement, strict rules, poor management, poor scheduling, no training
I worked here for about 2 years slaving away for the company covering shifts left and right getting about 3-4 hours of sleep regularly for about a year. In the end to be let go because I was demonstrating how to make a restraint to a client from rope. I never got a raise or offered a promotion. I had shifts cancelled on me last minute after arriving – more... with no compensation. I was asked to bounce around site to site mid shift using my own POV without compensation for fuel or paid travel time. I wasn't paid for countless hours I had worked equalling over thousands of dollars when questioned about my money they made excuses and covered up my hours worked. They also just let me go this past friday and have known about more pay that they did not pay me for, for over a month now. They do not show paid time off on pay schedule and you have to inquire about how much you have accrued. At that point they may not even have an accurate dipiction as they do not know and it takes 20 times asking to get an answer. The positive of the company some of the guys are great and they do have a few good supervisors. However this company will quickly terminate you over the littlest things as soon as they feel their lack of book keeping is starting to make you unhappy with their preformance. In all Im sure this company has skimmed 10's if not 100's of thousdands of dollars of the state they are employed by and their employess. Be mindful if you apply to this company to keep an active eye on your hours worked and what you are paid for. From day 1 or expect them to steal form you. – less
One word to describe ISA.... Horrible!
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 22, 2013
Pros: none what so ever
Cons: no benefits at all, no job training, and horrible leadership!!!
I would avoid working for ISA like the plague! There is only 1 good thing about the company, the pay is slightly better than other security companies.

Their leadership is incompetent, they hide everything from the owner, and their policies are idiotic. They will make you drive 2+ hours to go to a range to qualify and only pay you for 3 hours... even – more... though its 1 hour of shooting plus 4 hours of driving.

The VP needs to learn how to delegate his responsibilities to other people, he tries to be a hero and do everything himself. A great example would be it took 41 days for them to back pay me for 1 day they didn't pay me. – less
Interesting place to work
UNARMED SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 14, 2013
Pros: overtime or holiday duties.
Cons: short break and lunch.
A typical day at work is always routine with an exception of your posts throughout the day,there are diverse activities based upon your location at any given time.Management is somewhat accomodating where possible and co-workers are also diverse individuals.The hardest part of the day is when your shift is closing to the end and you are still on your – more... feet after a couple of hours.The most enjoyable part of the job is payday. – less
Horrible Company
Security Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 15, 2013
Pros: met nice people on site
Cons: war vet? who cares your just another piece of manuer to this company
I worked for ISA for a whole year before I was pretty much fired. I originally applied for the hotel security full time position, and was told my training would take place at Mass bay community college. For my 3 days of training I rotted in a parking lot for 8 hours a day in the winter watching the same cars the campus police were monitoring from insider – more... the building with cameras. I was then moved to the Mass bay campus in Framingham, where I continued to work full time for two weeks. After that my full time hours were gone and I was on a call if we need you type shift. After a month of no full time I tried to get back on unemployment. When I was rejected by unemployment, I called and they said ISA checked a box saying I declined hours and they were offering me more time. Feeling betrayed, I told management I would rather just work weekend shifts.

After 10 months for the weekend shift I was pretty much fired because an officer on campus said I verbally abused her. Management wanted me to apologize to her and I refused. Never once did I say anything to her so why was I apologizing? Well a month after all that management calls me back saying he wants me back at that campus. I told him keep your job and stuff it because I was not dealing with that nonsense anymore.

Never got gear, seasoned employees for ISA were stealing the winter jackets and rain jackets on site. The gym at the framingahm site was a huge black mold farm, and the school tried saying ISA was in charge on ensuring it stays secure.

If you worked on that site and need pictures of the black mold pool to defend your case let me know I have plenty. overall management treats veterans like they are pieces of manuer. Employees usually quit within a few weeks of working there, and you will work with other police officers who get paid 50k a year and do less then you do.

During the school shooting they beefed up security at the college, the police officers were scared and fully armored up hiding in the office while making ISA who had no type of protection go out and patrol the school.

Company is garbage, and if you ever have pay issues, keep a record because they love to hold back on paying people what is owed. – less
A decent company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 29, 2013
Pros: goo work environment.
Cons: no benefits
The only problem with working for ISA was the lack of medical or dental benefits.
great workers, terrible leadership
guard (Former Employee), bostonJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
I only made it a few months with ISA before quiting. The VP who was also a supervisor was constantly late on schedules. As a Army Sgt. Having one officer for a huge site isNOT securing a dang LlllThing so it makes you feel you have zero control if something. Dangerous was to go down. Wearing a suit and tie and dress shoes to stand in 25 degree rain – more... for 12 hrs..alone. health insurance is NOT affordable even thought its cost shared. VP is a soldier wannabe and ALWAYS spoke and poked fun about clients orientation y and bodies. I could record him and have the Ceo fire him right away. If I was that kind of guy. – less

March 21, 2013

I have noticed for several months that this Company has been advertising for armed and unarmed security officers. With experience as an armed security officer, I filed an application but received no response. Yet, this Company continually advertises for both armed and unarmed security officers. Suspicious I may be running into some kind of discrimination, such as age discrimination -- I am well over 50 -- I called the Human Resource Manager. After several attempts, I finally got hold of him. Most of the time he did not answer his telephone and, when I left messages on his answering machine, he never bothered to return my calls. When I finally hold of him, I found him most abusive with me over the telephone. Then he lied to me. He told me his Company had "no openings for security officers." If so, then why do they continually advertise for armed and unarmed security officers? After a study of this problem, I determined I am a victim of age discrimination.

Just a job.
Night Operations Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 19, 2012
Cons: no parking for day shift. very hard if you have kids.
hardsest part of the job lack of communication. if you have kids and work nights and weekends kiss all you family time away. no help so you can have holidays off with your kids.
Good for temporary position
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee), Camp Edwards, MASeptember 30, 2012
Favoritism in management is persistent to include guidelines for advancement which is not enforced based on education, experience, and performance. Promised raises with no end result despite exceptional performance.
Best security company I've worked for
Armed Security (Current Employee), BostonJuly 24, 2012
Pros: good company, well managed
I took a job with another security contractor when I got back from my first deployment. I kept getting hassled about drill and AT. Moving to ISA has definitely made a difference. Lots of AR guys on staff and the management team is flexible with army commitments. Managers are retired cops for the most part, very squared away guys.
Productive and Interesting
security officer (Former Employee), Framingham, MAApril 23, 2012
Pros: health insurance, co-workers
Cons: jobsite parking
It was nice to work at a company that is active and growing. A typical day at this job site was interesting. Every day there was something different that occurred. While working with ISA I was able to learn a lot about the security industry. The management was firm but fair. The co-workers were respectful and came from some very interesting backgrounds. – more... I never had any problems with them. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a job field that I enjoy doing. – less
poorly managed joke of a company because you have rank or a title does NOT mean you're right..
armed/unarmed officer (Former Employee), All over MAMarch 6, 2012
Pros: pays better, at cost of actual benefits
Cons: scheduling, benefits, lying rude management, equipment shortfalls
ISA is right up there with the awful companies in the security field. It's the same old song and dance. Staff horrible individuals that couldn't even be a cashier at a gas station nevermind be trusted with a firearm to do the right thing. Management (VP & armed supervisor) has no clue what they're doing at any given time. I had to work an 18 hour shift – more... one day. VP botched a detail passed down from the client and blamed myself and a co worker for not covering it even though we both explained that we couldn't prior to its occurence so he left the site without coverage.. Was told I couldn't go on a vacation that was planned prior to me filling in PART TIME emergency detail work. no dental, benefits enrollment period passed even after I had constantly reminded management that I intended to enroll. Allow armed guards to use ammunition and weapons specifically banned by the client instead of working the detail themselves. No vest given in high risk area even though local PD suggested I have one. Cut my full time hours then denied me on unemployment when they didn't have any permanent full time hours for me within a reasonable distance. Out to discredit and beat down you the worker, could care less how they go about it. Period. If I could give zero stars I would. – less
Respectable company, good experience overall
Security (Former Employee), MAMarch 5, 2012
Pros: people, environment
ISA was a fair environment. I really liked my coworkers, and enjoyed the job. They are understanding about drills and AT, and the managers are very dedicated.
Professional Organization, Serious About Security
Security Professional (Current Employee), South ShoreFebruary 6, 2012
I like working for ISA. The assignments are are interesting, and they pay a fair wage. It possible to expand your responsibilities and enhance your skills as well.
Enjoyed my time with ISA
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee), MassachusettsJanuary 23, 2012
Pros: coworkers, benefits, experience
Cons: tough busy seasons
You will work with the public, so good customer service is a must. You need to be very alert and observant, and you work in some very interesting environments. This is an outstanding job, especially if you are trying to further your career in law enforcement. Got the opportunity to protect dignitaries and participate in interesting engagements. Standing, – more... walking, rain and sun come with it. I enjoyed the training and working with great people. – less
great expirence
Armed Officer (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 3, 2012
Pros: good military employer
Cons: late hours and on call at times
working for isa was a great experience. management was supportive and I was able to learned a lot from my supervisor. The law enforcement procedures are great.I enjoyed my work experience with isa and would work with them again in the future.

About Internal Security Associates

ISA provides highly professional security, consulting and investigative services to major international corporations, the military – Read more