Internal Security Associates

Internal Security Associates Employee Reviews in United States

Great job for aspiring Law Enforcement
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
I've worked for ISA for 6 months and everything so far is going great. It is a fun and diverse work environment, and there is plenty of room for advancing. The communication between the upper management and site staff is very good, which makes the job easier on everyone. The hours are relatively flexible and there is almost always opportunity for over time.
Pros
Room for advancing, job security, flexible hours, Veteran friendly
Cons
no facial hair, might not have a set schedule right away
Good place to work & advance your career
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
I am a current employee at the company and have been working here for a 1.5 years. I personally am satisfied with the company. I have stayed with this company because they offer good hours, plenty of overtime if you are willing to work, & offers room to advance if you are doing your job well. It's an easy job to perform as long as you can be attentive, thorough, & courteous. Other great opportunities to build your résumé by working in state buildings, private details, & the Boston Marathon. All great experience & opportunities for anyone who can perform well with patrons & site visitors. The only way to be disappointed in your employment experience, would be if you come to work with a poor attitude.
Pros
Great coworkers & management. Great opportunities & room for advancement. Sites are T-accessible.
Cons
Might not have set schedule at start of employment. No facial hair.
Great company with long term potential
Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 9, 2016
This is a very good company to work for and it blows other security companies out of the water, both when it comes to employee relations and pay scales. If you do well in your position then you will actually have potential to move up which is rare in private security.

There are sites that are 24/7 so there is flexibility with shifts and most of them are T accessible.

Management is great and you will always feel like someone has your back if you have an issue at work.
Pros
Paid time off/paid sick leave
Great job to build experience.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2016
I started working with ISA just over 3 years ago. I had nothing but good impressions going in and it only got better. I was promoted very quickly and was given lots of overtime opportunity. It was a little hectic at first, a little bit of bouncing around before getting settled into a set schedule. Shortly after getting my schedule squared away, I was promoted to a SGT/ shift supervisor. Once my LTC came in, the company promoted me to an armed officer, also came with a pay bump. I finally settled into a position working at a private organization, Mon-Fri. with guaranteed overtime. I did that for just over 2 years before being brought up into Management. Its a great place for Veteran who are transitioning into the civilian population, as was the case for me. Pay is better than other security companies, and all sites are either MBTA accessible or parking will be provided, if not, usually get reimbursed for parking expenses.
Pros
Veteran preferred, very flexible scheduleing, better starting pay than other security companies.
Cons
Starting out, may have some bouncing around, no facial hair, some sites may not have parking but everything is T accessible
Great Company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2016
Great company to work for! Great potential for advancement if your a go getter. Good hours and opportunity for overtime. Management does a great job of taking care of their personnel. As a retired Military professional, I can say that this company is professional and takes care of those who are professional as well.
Pros
Management, Hours, Sites and Pay
Stay away from this company
Force Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2016
All upper level personnel are lying dirtbags. They'll promise you every thing you want and give you the exact opposite. Then when you ask questions you get smoke blown up your a**. These guys have mastered the art of treating their employees like s**t. I would skip any job listing associated with this company.
Pros
Site coworkers
Cons
Owner, Chief of Operations, Regional Supervisors, 85% of upper management
Professional Company
security officer (Current Employee) –  Monson, MAJanuary 4, 2016
Very good company to work for… Retired cop, working P/T in Monson for the past several months; I would say that they are a good company. The supervisors are top-notch, and the office people were VERY professional when I dealt with them. I was interviewed by the CEO, and he was very honest about the job site and the work.

They may have a high turn-over rate, but I wouldn’t blame the company for that. In this line of work, you have to be strict, and run a tight ship; that means terminating people who screw-up. If a company like ISA did anything differently, I wouldn’t have much faith in them.

What ISA does is give you an opportunity to work. You’re not digging ditches, so the job isn’t going to kill you, all they ask is that you show up on time, be observant, and follow directions. In other words, put your Big Boy pants on, and do what you’re being paid to do.

I see a lot of negative reviews on this site, but I think you have to consider the source; security companies are not police departments. If you’re looking for a cop job, take the test, but I can tell you from experience, if you can’t handle the strict discipline of a company like ISA – good luck at the police academy; it will be the hardest 15 minutes of your life.
Pros
Plenty of work, good supervisors
Company is bad
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2015
Other than meeting great contacts at your locations, pay is bad, no raises,poor management.People of color are not allowed to work at some locations.Their expectations are so high.You need to have a military or police background but yet veterans are treated like a joke.They can fire you whenever they want and they don't have a union by the way.
Pros
MEETING GREAT PEOPLE AT YOUR LOCATIONS
Cons
NO RAISED, FORCED OVERTIME, POOR MANAGEMENT
Avoid at all costs.
Armed Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2015
I worked for the company for 2 years doing everything that was asked. They always send email proclaiming how great their benefits are, when they're awful-mediocre at best and you have to work for numerous months to qualify. They are under-staffed and do not hire enough staff to covered most of their sites. They attempt to force people to work overtime regularly. They take opportunities to blame everyone not in upper management. They never give recommendations when you are being reviewed for full-time LEO positions, and merely give an acknowledgement you worked there regardless of how well you worked. They will suspend people over rumors without proof of wrong doing, and these suspensions can last several weeks. They also transfer people to poor sites over 'inconsistent' reasoning at best. They poorly reward loyal workers and often trample over people doing a good job at their site for little reason at all.
Pros
Better pay than some
Cons
EVERYTHING (other than base pay)
Only good to pay bills, kinda
Guard (Current Employee) –  Majority of sitesOctober 14, 2015
Worst company ever. Upper leadership does not care about you, your clients, or fellow guards. Your direct supervisor at the site however will. If you are looking for another job or career, this is not a bad job. Its not particularly difficult, and boring 90% of the time. This is also good for retirees. I enjoy working at my site but this is a company that only cares about lining the pocket of the owner. You are just a warm body and easily fire-able.
Pros
You get $15/ hour, easy job.
Cons
Poor leadership/ toxic leadership, no advancement, no set site (you can work in Boston one day, and Springfield the next), no benefits worth mentioning, lack of staff makes sites understaffed.
all the 1 star reviews are on point
Force Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 3, 2015
Don't be fooled by ISA it's an awful company its runs similar to rear D in the army with leadership that has no idea what they're doing and I know you're thinking I'm a disgruntled employee but this is a common opinion people are not promoted based on merit or time in grade just who happens to be on shift that day there are no raises and due to mass quitting that happen every 4 months you'll be in mandatory over time indefinitely most of the sites are remote and fairly dangerous you will be assigned to them alone and don't have any expectations of a raise
Pros
Cons
don't apply
Future LEO Stay Away
Armed Secury Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston MaJuly 25, 2015
I worked for the company for 2 years. Hustling, doing all that was necessary for myself and ISA. I have applied to Police Officer positions and they do research on ISA. You could be there best officer, and they will give you an okay recommendation. I sincerely regret working for this company. All the upper management think they are glorified police officers.
Pros
N/a
Great Company for Aspiring Cops
Management (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2015
The people are of a much higher caliber at this company than any other companies I've seen in this industry. The rank and file officer is almost always a military veteran who is working towards a degree on the GI Bill and/or waiting on a law enforcement list. The management is mostly retired law enforcement and are good mentors to the younger officers who are aspiring to law enforcement careers. I've watched hundreds of our officers go into local, state, and federal law enforcement careers directly from ISA.
Pros
Co-workers and pay
A very greedy and un caring company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 13, 2015
i Have been with ISA for about a year. It's a set salary of 14.25 an hour unarmed with no raises. The chances of promotion are truly slim to none especially if you're of ethnic background. You'll always receive your 40 hours and they'll always ask you to work overtime. It's okay to say no sometimes other times they'll threaten to fire you if you don't work it. They offer health at a steep price and there is no dental. Vacation time is not a given but has to be earned. For every pay period(2 weeks) that you work you must work 78 hours in order to earn 3 hours of "Paid Time Off". Which begins accumulating after your 90 day probation. After a year of employment I earned 3 days.... They constantly watch you on cameras and have no regard for personal life. There are no floaters to cover personal/sick days. Your mothers funerals today? "Well you better be at work today we're in a real bind." That's also a very true story.

My advice to you look elsewhere. Here you'll be worked into the ground and no one cares. No Christmas bonus not even a card saying thank you. Psh good luck getting christmas off for that matter. So if you don't mind being treated like nothing and want lots of OT. Than this jobs for you.

P.S. Veterans Stay Away!
Pros
Guaranteed 40 hours plus OT
Cons
Short Breaks, Set Pay, Rude Upper Management And Only Given One Uniform.
Unarmed Security
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 3, 2015
While i enjoyed working for this company overall and on a day to day basis didn't have anything to really complain about the overall structure of the company was very chaotic, any overtime would be given very last minute (asking Friday for a Saturday shift when higher ups have known they needed it filled for a week or more) There were occasions when the online schedule was completely wrong and when scheduling manager was contacted about it confirmed the wrong schedule, when myself and others arrived at posted times we were asked by site manager why we were late. Site Manager and personnel regularly assigned to location were a pleasure to work with.
Pros
better than average pay
Cons
poor high level management
Good company to work for
Security officer (Current Employee) –  BostonNovember 17, 2014
Company has been extremely good. They promote from within, so although everyone starts at a post, advancement is attainable and very quickly if you stand out. For the first three weeks you will be moved between sites and have a varying schedule. After that, almost everyone is settled in a permanent schedule with few changes, if any.
Steady work
Force Protection Officer (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2014
Protection of life & property in state offices as an Armed Officer, Working along side state employees and assisting with any problems that may arise while dealing with the public. On your feet most of the day. The best part of the day is knowing you kept the workplace safe and everyone went home.
Pros
steady work with great coworkers
Cons
low wages and no advancement
Great Company... Lots of room to grow!
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 14, 2014
I've been with ISA for a little over 5 months and the room for growth is endless. I started off as an officer working different post through out the building and within months I was promoted to SGT and now Lieutenant and running one of the most highly visible state building in Boston. Management is been nothing but amazing. Since day one they have always had my back. Communication is key with any company and ISA believes in that strongly. Any hour of the day, management can be reached.

I disagree with all of the negative reviews. Truthfully as long as you come into work everyday, ON TIME, clean and with a great attitude, there will be plenty of room for you to grow and be successful.
Stay away
Armed Security Officer/Armed Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 18, 2014
Stay away from this company. They'll work you into the ground wont give you a pay raise move you around to multiple sites and then set out to burn you.
A very mismanaged company....avoid them.
Force Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2014
Military veterans and former Law Enforcement personnel beware. At first glance this company might appear to be put together and professional, but be forewarned that this company is ALL smoke and mirrors. They hire personnel on the basis of having a DD214, resume and not much else. The hiring is done solely by the President of the company who is a licensed attorney in the Commonwealth of MA and who claims to an extensive professional career. However, this is the mythology and mystique the company rests on. All policies and decisions are made by him and are unilaterally executed by a very small group of loyal company "officers".

Here is a list of things you might expect to see from ISA:

No professional criminal background check was ever performed, no hiring packet (I-9, W4 or wage information) until "requested" from the HR office, a drug urinalysis was finally conducted after 2 weeks having already worked without a screening at a Commonwealth of Massachusetts site, no training program of any kind, literally no forms were given or signed (EEO, Harassment, Company handbook, health insurance etc.)

Every employee is a "floater". You will not have a permanent place to work. You can expect to be cycled through multiple sites weekly. Often in places with no provisions or parking for employees. Get your walking shoes and MBTA Charlie card out.

Track your time, and track it well because your paycheck may be missing hours, days or even a whole pay period and forget about PTO, vacation and sick time. Watch out for your "last" paycheck too, it may come well past the allotted time given
  more... my State and Federal standards. There is one person who functions as the financial officer and this person does not deal well with demands from employees. Expect to be ignored.

Finally, beware of their business practices on a whole. The company often skirts what might be considered an ethical line.

This company has numerous State contracts and at least one DoD contract.

Beware and keep looking.