International Paper Employee Reviews

Good Internship, but Corporate is Very Cutthroat
Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 20, 2017
The internship was great. The benefits overall were great. You'll learn a lot, but the employees from the corporate head office can be very cutthroat. Don't believe you'll keep your job just because people who worked with you gave you great reviews. If you are not liked by executives in the corporate office, then you'll get fired, or they won't have any intention of keeping you around for too long. Also, I've noticed in the corporate office they'll hire and keep around idiots who cannot even give proper directions to others regarding work. Those idiots sometimes get very ahead in their career in IP as long as the executives in IP's corporate office like them.
it was ok
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rome, GASeptember 20, 2016
inappropriate office behavior. There were days when my regular work was halted in order to take care of high priority issues. However, sometimes these issues were managed with high anxiety and hostility. Saw a woman get passed over for promotion for a man from outside of the company. Now the woman is basically doing the work anyway at a much lower salary and has been for years. HR is not willing to reimburse for travel or help with living expenses like interns at other locations were getting.

tldr: not good for women. workers union vs salaried employees environment. sometimes high anxiety management.
Great potential
Cordinator (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 3, 2016
International Paper is one of the dominate corporations in the paper and packaging business. There is huge potential for growth but the problem is every sight has different management. Get stuck with a bad manager and the entire plant/facility will suffer. If you want to succeed in this company you have to get into salary as soon as possible. They have lower industry pay for the hourly guys.
Pros
8% 401k match, good health care
Cons
lower pay, management can vary, long hours
Spacekraft (International Paper)
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 11, 2016
Pay is good but not great. Some of the machines that you will run do not pay enough for the hassle you deal with. The hassle is 30% the machine 70% management. The place is very clique. They play favorites. They have a company handbook but the reason I'm not sure. Office workers seem to not be friendly with the machine operators that work in extreme conditions and make the company money... Big divide between the two. Management is very unorganized. One day told one thing the next something different. No one is on the same page and nothing is ever final. Which causes plenty of mistakes and confusion.
For some reason I feel like this kind of stuff happens a lot of places so if your in need of a job that pays more than 14.00 an hour then I guess it could always be worse.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Favorites
productive and fast passed work enviroment
Blanker operator (Former Employee) –  Kenton, OHSeptember 21, 2016
a typical day at International paper was a 12 hour shift from 7 to 7 where I would run my machine making sure product was to customer satisfaction for quality. The co-workers was great for the most part very helping and encouraging others to always advance. The HR department was always there to help with anything you may need while always offering opportunities for better career options to advance yourself.
Pros
401K, great benefits, bonus three times a year, swing shift
Cons
short breaks
very neglected / rundown plant
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 6, 2017
hourly pay below industry standard, plant systems and equipment where very neglected and run down. Morale in production was very low due to forced overtime. high employee turn over in maintenance and production. pre employment exam was long and did not pertain to the job. overall very dissapointed with the company, did not stay very long.
Pros
good medical benifits
Cons
low pay, low morale, high employee turnover, no incentive to stay
exellent job benefits
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCDecember 23, 2016
This company pays great and has great benefits, however u do not get to enjoy much time off. Management stays on top of company policies to ensure equality throughout the plant. The hardest part about the job is working in the extreme heat conditions but the most enjoyable part is the company meals for excellent production.
hard work long hours
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 27, 2016
The pay is great but you will work very long hours, there are 2 shifts for this job, 3am till 3pm or 3pm till 3am. monday through Saturday. its union so people have been working there awhile, and the old timers get first dibs on everything and they have absolutely no plans on retiring, seriously like there was a guy working there in he was about 80. the managers do do much work at all, they sit in the office and chat. the pros about this job is the great benefits they provide, and they have great company picnics, you just be so tired at the picnics that you want to go home quickly if you show up.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard fast grueling work
Just ok
Security Guard/Office Administrative (Current Employee) –  Selma, ALJuly 9, 2016
I mainly work here cause my days off gave me the chance to go to school and etc. I work securty for this company and mostly I sign in truck drivers and sign them out using the company's data entry software. I work by myself mostly, but have worked with wonderful people from time to time. The most hardest part of the job is staying up all night. As long I had something to do that wasn't an issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting drivers from different parts of the states or world. They have stroies to tell you. :)
Pros
Having three days off
Cons
No raise or good health benefits
Very Monotonous
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, GADecember 7, 2016
The labor to maintain mill operation and upkeep is essentially contracted out. You are assigned a piece of equipment to operate and notify of any problems to equipment before and during operation.
Pros
No Layoffs, Overtime and Great Benefits
Cons
No advancement or Cost of living raises
Excellent Company
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHJanuary 3, 2017
It was hard work with long hours, but the benefits were great and the company took great pride in their safety measures for the work place. I learned how to work efficiently in a fast paced environment while working at International Paper.
Nice environment.
machines per person (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 29, 2016
It is a really nice job but for a girl it is really heavy, more when you have to toasted the trash can when sometime they are really heavy. When you are a temp you don't get benefits as they employees do.You don't get to request days off or get sickly hours. And they don't respect your days off.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
You don't get benefits when you are a temp.
corrugator supervisor
Andax Operator (Current Employee) –  Compton, CADecember 8, 2016
My experience as a employee @ International Paper has been very rewarding and challenging, I learned many skills as well as becoming a salary Supervisor, which gave me a opportunity to motivate employees to be open minded when it comes to production, quality and quantity, always give an extra afford when it comes to safety.
Great if you dont mind living there
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILJune 22, 2016
I find it hard to believe that the rating is as high as it is. There are several people that have been forced into 72 hour work weeks for several months. It's under staffed and moral is at an all time low. Write people up for not meeting unachievable goals and then turn around and five everyone a meal and gift cards for doing so good. If that's not mixed signals I don't know what is....
They ask for ideas on how to improve run speeds and setups then when you try to give input your told we don't want excuses just do it.
Pros
Pay, benifits
Cons
Long hours, ran by a dictatorship
Great job, poor environment.
Corrugator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Oversaw shift of 30 full-time employees. Performed random quality checks for the company on materials used for manufacturing and finished products.
Pros
salary is good
Cons
management works too many hours
Company picnic
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE II (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2016
A great place to work and build professional profiles however management made it very difficult to maintain family time because of the demand to work overtime. Even though we were salaried employees demand was even worse.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
bad management
It was a great company until it went to the big corporations
@nd Pressman (Former Employee) –  Weaverville, NCMay 20, 2016
When I started working at Shorewood Packaging it was after they acquired Monroe Graphics an absolutley wonderful company. I found my transition from Rochester, NY to La Grange Ga. to be a great thing for my printing career. I worked at the LaGrange plant until they shut it down. I took the transfer to the Weaverville plant.
I found myself facing racial discrimination for the first time in my printing career. During this time they had acquired Shorewood Packaging. I was unable to continue working for the company under these conditions. I tendered my resignation with notice and moved on.
Pros
great pay, excellent benefits, nice co-workers
Cons
long commute, prejudice supervisor
decent company
operator (Former Employee) –  Manson, NCNovember 13, 2016
i personally moved up in the company pretty fast, i went from a temp to hire in six months and to a operator position in less than two years, the pay is decent but family time is not important to them. you will be on your feet anywhere from 8 to 12 hrs at a time and might not get a break.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
hardly any family time
Great job amazing benefits
Paper Maker (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 3, 2016
I love the people I work with. The job is humid but tolerable for those who love hard work. They have great benefits and multiple opportunities to learn more on the company. It is shift work but other than that it's a good job
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Humid
Fun Place to Work
Human Resources & Financial Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2016
Working for IP was awesome! Very respectful workplace that makes you to feel appreciated. Salary was great and the flex hours.Management did not micromanage but trusted you to do your job. Great work family. Hardest part was leaving, I was laid off but with respect.
Pros
Flexible Schedule; Respectful Workplace

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Paper. Our community is ready to answer.