Measure and mark reference points and cutting lines on workpieces, using traced templates,
compasses, and rules.
• Move controls or mount gears, cams, or templates in machines to set feed rates and cutting
speeds, depths, and angles.
• Compute data such as gear dimensions and machine settings, applying knowledge of shop
• Instruct other workers in machine set-up and operation.
• Select, install, and adjust alignment of drills, cutters, dies, guides, and holding devices, using
templates, measuring instruments, and hand tools.
• Set machine stops or guides to specified lengths as indicated by scales, rules, or templates.
• Align layout marks with dies or blades.
• Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, cutters, shears, borers, millers, grinders, presses,
drills, and auxiliary machines, to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
• Inspect workpieces for defects, and measure workpieces to determine accuracy of machine
operation, using rules, templates, or other measuring instruments.
• Observe machine operation to detect workpiece defects or machine malfunctions, adjusting
machines as necessary.