Our mission is to improve the lives and protect the rights of women, children and youth displaced by war, persecution and natural disaster. We accomplish this by researching their needs, identifying solutions and advocating for programs and policies to strengthen their resilience and drive lasting change on the ground.
The Women’s Refugee Commission is legally part of the International Rescue Committee, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. The Women’s Refugee Commission receives no direct financial support from the IRC.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Senior Development Officer (SDO) plays a key role in the Women’s Refugee Commission’s fundraising operations ($6 million annual budget) by monitoring, managing and developing WRC’s foundation, corporate, national and international government funding portfolio. The incumbent will also be responsible for leading proposal development efforts and will act as WRC grants writer.
This position is ideal for an individual who enjoys challenges, is results driven, is an experienced conceptual writer, is flexible and responsive in a fast-paced environment and brings a sincere belief in the mission of the Women’s Refugee Commission.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Cultivate, solicit and maintain WRC portfolio of donors and prospects
- Engage existing donors to unlock additional funding. Tailor solicitation efforts to focus on the specific programmatic interests of donors
- Develop strategies, actively identify, and solicit new donor prospects with special focus on international governments, in collaboration with and with the support of the Executive Director, the Senior Director for Programs, the Finance Controller and the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts and Events
- Write high quality cultivation materials, correspondence, proposals, reports and briefing materials for communications with donors and for senior staff
- Support and build the capacity of other staff members who are primary contact with a donor
- Develop strong relationship and coordination through regular communication and meetings with IRC staff on proposals and contracts
- Participate in other critical functions of the Development Department including developing budgets and analyzing revenues in coordination with Director of Development, Finance Controller, and Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts and Events;
- Ensure that donor records (database, computer files and paper files) are accurate and up to date;
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s Degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8-10 years, progressive experience in grant writing and institutional and/or government relations with a strong track record of success in identifying new donors and closing gifts.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: the ability to communicate and liaise effectively and diplomatically with colleagues across the organization.
- Demonstrated writing skills: the proven ability to successfully conceptualize, write and edit proposals and reports. Must be able to communicate nuanced programmatic details and contexts.
- Solid organizational and time-management skills: the ability to plan for and manage multiple projects while working in a fast-paced, detail oriented environment with strict deadlines and competing priorities.
- Must be self motivated and possess an entrepreneurial attitude, strong work ethic, flexible style, and able to work independently as well as a team player.
- Demonstrated interest in international development, human rights, social justice, or U.S based immigrant communities a plus.
- Excellent computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software. Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising software preferred.
Please apply at: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=8915
Indeed - 16 months ago
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...