The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Information Technology department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable internal applications and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
SCOPE OF WORK:
We’re looking for a seasoned and hands-on Senior Software Engineer – Technical Team Lead with strong technical expertise and excellent leadership abilities who is ready for a unique, global challenge. This position will be tasked with overseeing and empowering a small team of software developers and QA engineers in developing leading-edge software appropriate for an INGO. The ideal candidate is someone who is as comfortable with writing code as they are with developing technical strategies; as comfortable with leading a team as they are with being part of a team. While this role is primarily a technical one, and will be “doing” as well as leading, since it reports to the CTO, the ideal candidate needs to be comfortable interacting with business-focused technology colleagues.
- Lead the software development group, establishing high-level design objectives and standard practices that are appropriate for a small team with big goals
- Overseeing day-to-day execution of development and QA work
- Assess scalability of existing and proposed custom applications; spearhead build vs. buy decisions
- Collaborate with the project management/business analysis team to ensure appropriate scope and definition of software projects
- Advocate for the Application Development perspective across the IT team and the organization as a whole
- Provide critical input to IT leadership, and help communicate our vision to senior management
- Participate in inter-agency discussions around INGO technology challenges
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent and 8+ years Java, or other high-level language application development, preferably in fast-paced and dynamic environment
- 2+ years experience managing team of software developers
- Strong object-oriented design skills
- In-depth experience with Agile software development values and practices
- Ability to manage all aspects of the software development lifecycle
- Experience in building high-performance, reliable systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment (Service Oriented Architecture)
- Proficient in Web Services, RESTful Services, messaging, transactions, security and other enterprise technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage Open Source projects and tools to increase productivity, especially Python/Django
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate productively with colleagues on all levels in a distributed, multicultural, detail-oriented environment (without losing a sense of humor)
- Self-motivation and the ability to work under minimal supervision are a must
- Proficiency in Linux
- Demonstrated ability using relational databases (Oracle, MySQL, etc)
- Experience with NoSQL (MongoDB or Couch) and embedded databases (BerkeleyDB, CDB, MonetDB, etc) a plus
- Excellent understanding of web security concepts
- Experience with delivering applications in low bandwidth/high latency environments
- Experience designing, delivering and supporting applications with a worldwide footprint
- Experience with technology projects in developing countries
This is a full-time position at our New York, NY headquarters. This role may include limited international travel.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter that includes the following:
1. Why you want to work for the IRC
2. Your experience as it directly relates to the requirements listed above
3. Your top three criteria in deciding whether to build or buy an application
Please apply at http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=8513
Indeed - 21 months ago
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...