International Rescue Committee

International Rescue Committee Employer Reviews

very productive
Volunteer (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 13, 2013
love working with other professionals which help in building my own professional levels.
Health Education Specialist Intern
Health Education Specialist (Current Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 25, 2013
Pros: independence, co-workers, opportunity
Cons: downtime
Great,friendly environment where your work is truly fulfilling. With any internship, you have to make your experience what you want because there is a lot of downtime. I met some great people along the way that helped me with networking and job seeking.
Great service.
Volunteer Educational Tutor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2013
A very challenging, but fulfilling work experience. Meet people from all over the world and hear their stories. Its a great way to get volunteer hours or work experience and a great way to feel like you are making a difference.
very productive, fun environment
Data Management (Former Employee), Addis AbabaSeptember 30, 2013
My stay in the IRC was amazing, I like the environment that I worked in and what the IRC stands for. I would love to join the IRC again.
Learning environement
Independent consultant (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: conflict setting (under rebels control)
I liked working with IRC firstly as an organization working in humanitarian setting where there is a huge need of staff and the kind of my work " Engaging men through accountable practice"in ending violence against women and girls. I think is more about the impact of the work I do than more than just money as we aim to build free violence society where – more... women and girls are free to express their need and access to opportunity.
- I really appreciated working with my colleagues, having the same objective in a challenged setting.
-The hardest time: is when I was not able to go to the field and support field staff because of the fighting in the region. Evacuated and relocated several times.
- It was during the pilot testing activities in one of the community when an old man testified " if I knew that violence against women and girls impacts also my life, I would not deny my girls to go to school. Maybe she could become a doctor and or Minister and could support me and my wife. – less
Devoted, hard-working environment
Intern (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 17, 2013
Pros: clients and workplace environment
Cons: unpaid
I was a summer intern at the International Rescue Committee (IRC) and truly enjoyed my time there. It was when I first became passionate about refugee rights and healthcare advocacy. I learned a great deal about Dallas healthcare and educational systems and was given advancing degrees of responsibility throughout the summer.
The co-workers were wonderful, – more... positive individuals to work with and the management was as efficient as possible. The hardest part of the internship was the unpaid aspect, naturally. However, it was a great experience. – less
Knowledge about a not profit organization
Volunteer Jenuary (Former Employee), Elizabeth, NJJune 17, 2013
Pros: knowledge
Cons: no money
Contact with customers
Knowledge about a not profit organization
Organization files and documents
a very nice people
not to receive money
help people
Diverse and professional workplace
Intern at Health and Wellness Department (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 15, 2013
A lot of interaction with people from various countries, various languages and very different cultures. The most enjoyable part of this position was the deep desire in each team member to their coworkers and clients.
Training
Customer service communication (Current Employee), San Diego CAMay 8, 2013
Its training, we work on mock interviews, difficult questions and the answers to those questions.
One of the best NGO in San Diego
Computer Literacy Instructor (Former Employee), San DiegoApril 12, 2013
Doing volunteering jobs. Conducting a computer literacy classes to the new coming refugees. Teach refugees them how useful computers and technology is important in every day life.
good employees to work with .
Arabic Translator (Current Employee), Boise , IDApril 1, 2013
provide interpreting service from english to arabic and from arabic to english in a professional way to ARAC employees and help the Arabic refugees to understand the rules in the united state ,also weekly classes to teach them to find a jobs.
International Rescue committee
Peer Counselor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: n/a
I love the work I did there because it was a great job based an social responsability. As an immigrant I came here with dream and set goals so I wanted to be able to help kids that just came in US get a bit of the knowledge about the American culture and learn the new language. I was also able to help make translation since i speak 5 language.
Agency mission is great but agency itself no so much.
Consultant (Former Employee), New YorkFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: agency mission
Cons: culture needs to 'fit' in with dominant group. lack of information, favoritism .
Total lack of communication from management. Very disorganized environment. Lack of information. Need to "fit" in with established group otherwise you will not last there. Favoritism is very high here which allow some employees to get away with lateness, late projects, and even hangovers.
Excellent work place
Case Management Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 1, 2013
• Case manager in the provision of immediate resettlement needs for newly arrived refugees.
• Accompaniment to appointments, referrals and guidance in the development of long term resettlement plans.
Research Intern
Research Internship (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: short time frame
Internship for research and volunteer recruitment. Worked with the Human Trafficking Prevention Group.
Volunteer Teaching
Volunteer Language Instructor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 24, 2013
Great experience for prospective teachers. Teachers work morning classes. Students vary in age from very young to elderly.
Nice workplace
Casework Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2013
Assist Case Management staff with resettlement services to clients, including setting up apartments for new arrivals; assisting clients with applications for Social Security and Texas state identification cards; teaching clients how to cash checks and use public transportation; setting up phones service for clients; assisting clients with medical appointments – more... and appointments for WIC, Food Stamps, Social Security, grocery shopping, and school enrollment; and preparing forms and paperwork. Assist Case Management staff in making medical appointments for clients and filling out applications for food stamps and Medicaid. Support staff by picking up newly arriving clients from the airport. – less
Providing friendship for refugees
Volunteer (Former Employee), Boise, IDOctober 20, 2012
It's oddly rewarding to just hang out and play games with the refugees in this program.
Easygoing workplace and gained personal growth
Tax Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 5, 2012
The work environment is great. At first, it was self-started work, as work load got large, you have to learn how to get the job done and also be well organized.
An great organization to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Tucson, AZOctober 3, 2012
Pros: international feel, good supportive culture, healthcare, dental, vision, eap, you can see what you are doing is making a difference
Cons: can be stressful, long hours depending on your position, hq is distant at times
In the U.S. Programs where I work in Tucson, AZ the office culture is great. This is perfect for some one who longs to work internationally, but can't either due to family or other restrictions. Every day you are exposed to different cultures, languages, and many times they treat you like family.
The office is like one big family. We all support eachother – more... in whatever way we can. We cook for eachother, and our potlucks are like no other...Ethiopian food, Nepali food, Mexican, Afghani, the list goes on. We all love to share our family recipes with eachother.
On the other side of the coin, the hardest part, as with any humanitarian aide, is you can't help everyone to the extent they often need. The refugees we assist often have gone through unimaginable difficulties, lost family, have been tortured, and persecuted, and when they come to America, they often feel that it will be easier here. In some ways it is easier. You don't have to avoid gunfire and blasts on a daily basis, but you do have to work for what you get. Finding a job is often the most difficult task for a refugee and it can be frustrating and even scary for them when they do not find a job quickly.
Another small aspect of frustration is sometimes a disconnect of communication between headquarters in NY and the local offices, but there is effort to remedy this. – less

About International Rescue Committee

The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild – Read more

International Rescue Committee Photos