International Rescue Committee Employee Reviews

Great
mentor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 15, 2017
It was an amazing experience that taught me a lot about culture. Especially American culture and how the process of becoming a citizen it extremely difficult for anyone. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
Great place to begin helping the people who need it the most
Arizona - Survivors of Torture Intern (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 9, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of updating the tracking sheet of victims of crime, from domestic abuse to state terror, and at other times I performed screenings for PTSD on Syrian refugees. On one occasion, I conducted brief research on the Dem. Rep. of the Congo for a client who was arrested for assault. The goal of that research was to show he has been through many troubles and needs counseling rather than jail time. Co-workers were friendly, as was management. The hardest part of the job was simply keeping up with an ever-moving and fluid environment; the most enjoyable part was that is was in my field of passion.
Volunteer Chinese Interpreter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2016
I worked at the International Rescue Committee in New York City as an intern. It is a great place to work, co-workers are friendly. I learned lot of hands-on immigration/refugee related knowledge and issues.
Good workplace
Stand-by Gender Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 22, 2016
Being on stand-by, you may wait months before a deployment is assigned. Consider working on other projects in the meantime. Long application process.
Great Company
Youth Tutor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 20, 2016
The IRC is a fantastic company. I love the drive of the employees. They are really motivated by a cause higher than themselves.
Pros
Serving Others
Cons
Pay
Managers Silent Review
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2016
Directors are disconnected and do not lead by example. Mostly because they fear for their positions and do not support their employee or staff.

The organization needs to invest in training to bring employees up to todays standards but there is no focus on growth. The only way to succeed is by who you know and not the quality of work you produce. I have seen them lay off an individual who saved the company over 150k this year alone with the reason for letting him go was budget cuts. Very nasty for a non-profit indeed.
Pros
Annual Time off
Cons
No growth, High turn over, Poor leadership
Great place to work!
Economic Empowerment Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 12, 2016
Dedicate staff that work day in day out to make sure clients's needs are met! Working with vulnerable populations humbles you and makes you appreciate the smallest things in life! Our team is passionate and dedicate to the IRC mission of bringing people from Harm to Home so they can thrive in the United Sates.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Compensation can be improved
Extremely detail oriented which I love
College Prep Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2016
• Loved getting up to go to work because I knew I was making a difference
• I learned a lot about policy initiative, development, staffing, and progress
• The management was amazing always helping others succeed to their potential
• There where a lot of Interns that were starting out their careers, amazing people to be around
• The hardest part of the job was taking over 200 calls a day and keeping up in a fast paced environment
• The most enjoyable part of the job was learning something new on a daily basis
Pros
Getting to meet State and City officials on a personal level
Cons
Dealing with routine changes from the Campaign Manager
Great workplace
Developement Intern (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJSeptember 19, 2016
Fun and productive workplace. People are very nice. Many people have hold many degrees.
A typical day would be welcoming the new refugees into the office from the airport. Take them to their respective apartment.
The director is very nice there, and you get to meet many different people with various backgrounds.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Overload work. Poor management. Lots of driving.
British invasion
Director (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYSeptember 9, 2016
I will not work here if I have had a choice. Since the arrival of the British the foundation has become inefficient. Pharma is being bought fro countries that violate trade arrangement with US funds.
Stay away if you have a choice. You will see the secretary of the president walking out of the facility with expensive paints that once belong to the foundation
Pros
Cons
So many
Work Life balance, management depends on who likes you
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2016
although they have a good life work balance, the culture is really bad, some people are way underpaid and the elite are paid market value, management is not objective, advancement is not merit based but depends on who likes you, diversity is an empty word, reality is glass ceiling with boys club mentality.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
office politics and favorism
Fast-paced work environment
Immigration Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 15, 2016
Excellent place for career development. Most employees started as interns and worked their way up. Staff is from all over the world.
Pros
A great job culture and exciting learning environment
Intern
Education Specialist Intern (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 19, 2016
Great organization that provides assistance to the resettlement of refugees. Every employee has a true passion to help newly resettled refugees.
It is a good company except its compensation/ benefits which is not attractive
SQL & SSRS Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
In general a good company , good project manager which makes me to focus on my assignment and supportive. The compensation and my duty are not comparable that is the salary is not enough.
Pros
good company with good staff
Cons
No enough break to do my own tasks, the benefit package is not attractive
Good people
na (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2016
If you want to work with good, positive people who are dedicated to their jobs and come from all over the world, this is a great place to be. It is a non-profit, so salary and job security may not be as high as at other places -- but the office culture more than makes up for it.
Pros
great co-workers, good and important work
Cons
long hours at times, limited opportunities for advancement
hard worker smart score player
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2016
we do answer the pharmacy and provider calls regarding pharmacy claim and prior authorization,if the is any error with claim (cost ,age,diagnoses) we can do the edit
Passionate and fulfilling environment, low pay
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 10, 2016
Great co-workers and managers who truly want to help you grow and succeed, extremely diverse work environment, pay is low even for a nonprofit
Pros
Pto, benefits, nice work culture
Cons
not always a lot of room for growth, low pay
It's so cool
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2016
I've worked with the tax department. I've learned a lot of the tax skills with a friendly atmosphere, the harder time was the unexpected busy hours, but we did our best to do the perfect job.
I am enjoying my job.
Farsi/Dari Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 9, 2016
I am a good team player always supporting my team. My coworkers always good. I have learned a lot from my coworkers. Since I have been working, I have never faced with any difficulties in my team.
challenging and worth learning work environment
IT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  south sudanMarch 30, 2016
A work day with full of challenges and worth learning new skills, the hardest part of the job is to face an IT support challenge for the first time and as a specialist users always think you are the best and indeed you need to defend their thoughts and get the job done,
the most enjoyable moments or part of work is when i really know what i am doing and optimistic that i will win the challenge.
Pros
covered bills for meals, accomodations, heath care and recreation
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at International Rescue Committee. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3