International Rescue Committee

International Rescue Committee Employer Reviews

this is a learning condusive environment and offers the best interms of experience,i call it university of all carders
Nutrition Clinician (Current Employee), Kenya -lodwarJune 4, 2013
everymorning is a learning day and you meet new challenges with solutions to be replicated in your daily life endevours.
everyone at IRC is supportive and a shoulder to lean on.
Diverse and professional workplace
Intern at Health and Wellness Department (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 15, 2013
A lot of interaction with people from various countries, various languages and very different cultures. The most enjoyable part of this position was the deep desire in each team member to their coworkers and clients.
Training
Customer service communication (Current Employee), San Diego CAMay 8, 2013
Its training, we work on mock interviews, difficult questions and the answers to those questions.
One of the best NGO in San Diego
Computer Literacy Instructor (Former Employee), San DiegoApril 12, 2013
Doing volunteering jobs. Conducting a computer literacy classes to the new coming refugees. Teach refugees them how useful computers and technology is important in every day life.
good employees to work with .
Arabic Translator (Current Employee), Boise , IDApril 1, 2013
provide interpreting service from english to arabic and from arabic to english in a professional way to ARAC employees and help the Arabic refugees to understand the rules in the united state ,also weekly classes to teach them to find a jobs.
I loved working with IRC
Program Manager (Former Employee), Petit Goave , HaitiMarch 8, 2013
Pros: bonus, and made great friends
Cons: you are on contract it can ends after a short period
IRC is a great international NGO , I had a great time working with them. I met wonderful people and they provide a lot of trainings
International Rescue committee
Peer Counselor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: n/a
I love the work I did there because it was a great job based an social responsability. As an immigrant I came here with dream and set goals so I wanted to be able to help kids that just came in US get a bit of the knowledge about the American culture and learn the new language. I was also able to help make translation since i speak 5 language.
Agency mission is great but agency itself no so much.
Consultant (Former Employee), New YorkFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: agency mission
Cons: culture needs to 'fit' in with dominant group. lack of information, favoritism .
Total lack of communication from management. Very disorganized environment. Lack of information. Need to "fit" in with established group otherwise you will not last there. Favoritism is very high here which allow some employees to get away with lateness, late projects, and even hangovers.
Agro-Processing Specialist (Former Employee), BakuFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: shot breaks
My work was to choose necessary places for establishing enterprices.
To train the stuff wich would work there.
To contract the agreements between supplies and us about obtain equipments for the enterprices.
Excellent work place
Case Management Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 1, 2013
• Case manager in the provision of immediate resettlement needs for newly arrived refugees.
• Accompaniment to appointments, referrals and guidance in the development of long term resettlement plans.
Research Intern
Research Internship (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: short time frame
Internship for research and volunteer recruitment. Worked with the Human Trafficking Prevention Group.
Volunteer Teaching
Volunteer Language Instructor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 24, 2013
Great experience for prospective teachers. Teachers work morning classes. Students vary in age from very young to elderly.
Nice workplace
Casework Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2013
Assist Case Management staff with resettlement services to clients, including setting up apartments for new arrivals; assisting clients with applications for Social Security and Texas state identification cards; teaching clients how to cash checks and use public transportation; setting up phones service for clients; assisting clients with medical appointments – more... and appointments for WIC, Food Stamps, Social Security, grocery shopping, and school enrollment; and preparing forms and paperwork. Assist Case Management staff in making medical appointments for clients and filling out applications for food stamps and Medicaid. Support staff by picking up newly arriving clients from the airport. – less
Rewarding and fun place to work
Health Educator Trainer and Program Manager (Former Employee), Peshawar, PakistanDecember 27, 2012
Working with refugees is very rewarding. Learned a lot about different culture, tradition, languages and meet a lot of people from all walks of life. I enjoyed working with them. The enjoyable part of the work was building relationship with different people from different part of the world. The hardest part of the work watching a mother losing her child – more... because of malnourishment. – less
Providing friendship for refugees
Volunteer (Former Employee), Boise, IDOctober 20, 2012
It's oddly rewarding to just hang out and play games with the refugees in this program.
Easygoing workplace and gained personal growth
Tax Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 5, 2012
The work environment is great. At first, it was self-started work, as work load got large, you have to learn how to get the job done and also be well organized.
An great organization to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Tucson, AZOctober 3, 2012
Pros: international feel, good supportive culture, healthcare, dental, vision, eap, you can see what you are doing is making a difference
Cons: can be stressful, long hours depending on your position, hq is distant at times
In the U.S. Programs where I work in Tucson, AZ the office culture is great. This is perfect for some one who longs to work internationally, but can't either due to family or other restrictions. Every day you are exposed to different cultures, languages, and many times they treat you like family.
The office is like one big family. We all support eachother – more... in whatever way we can. We cook for eachother, and our potlucks are like no other...Ethiopian food, Nepali food, Mexican, Afghani, the list goes on. We all love to share our family recipes with eachother.
On the other side of the coin, the hardest part, as with any humanitarian aide, is you can't help everyone to the extent they often need. The refugees we assist often have gone through unimaginable difficulties, lost family, have been tortured, and persecuted, and when they come to America, they often feel that it will be easier here. In some ways it is easier. You don't have to avoid gunfire and blasts on a daily basis, but you do have to work for what you get. Finding a job is often the most difficult task for a refugee and it can be frustrating and even scary for them when they do not find a job quickly.
Another small aspect of frustration is sometimes a disconnect of communication between headquarters in NY and the local offices, but there is effort to remedy this. – less
Definitely a great place to work
Tutor (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 13, 2012
This was more a volunteer service. It was definitely rewarding, tutoring the kids in English and Math. They are always so willing to learn and are just beaming with excitement every time they see you. Unlike most kids who are forced to stay after school for more studying, these kids are here because they genuinely want to learn and its just very rewarding – more... to work with them. I learned a great deal about different cultures from these kids and I also learned what it feels like to be a teacher where the students are happy to learn from you. – less
fun volunteer opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee), Lynn, MASeptember 8, 2012
Helped Somali-Bantu children read and write
Talked with them about American culture
Interesting program
Volunteer (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJune 27, 2012
The Ambassador program demanded a great deal of organization and meeting tight deadlines, which made it very challenging! I enjoy every part of it. It makes you be creative and come up at the last minute with a decision. The program is a one-month project, therefore I cannot really evaluate the workplace. My supervisor, The Program Coordinator, was – more... a real professional (although a volunteer too) and we made a good team with her. I improved my leadership skills and presentation skills.

The most enjoyable part - working with youth is always enjoyable! – less

About International Rescue Committee

The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild – Read more

International Rescue Committee Photos