INTERNATIONAL SHOPPES

INTERNATIONAL SHOPPES Employer Reviews

Diverse workplace which makes it a little bit fun.
Kiehl's beauty advisor (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 6, 2014
Cons: you have to go through the security check point daily!
It is located in the airport therefore you meet different people flying to different places hence this exposure helps you improve your customer service skills.
Highly concentrated job under highly pressure
Beauty Advisor/Credited Consultant/Sale Rep. (Current Employee), JFKApril 24, 2014
Pros: free products
Cons: short breaks, health care
I like the environment of the airport. This is a luxury duty free company which located in few terminal in JFK, and other airport.

I started at main store, handling with regular watches and sunglasses, very soon, I had been moved to Hermes, Bvlgari and Ferragamo high end store as sales representative.

I learned a lot from these boutiques, including – more... merchandize control, inventory, products knowledge, and how to handle different material and display products.

After a year, I got promo to the cosmetic store. I helped with make-up and skin care products. We have great team. We always have heave work with all seasonal display, new products, VIP visits, seasonal events, different promotion, rearrange displays when planogram changes. We have big number of different kind of merchandizes for different terminal for different countries. – less
Real comfortable place
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Valley StreamApril 22, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch break, paid holidays off
Cons: no growth
Its a good job, real nice coworkers...a work day is real easy sometimes stressful. I've learned how to conduct inventories and reconcile them as well. Pay is little and some of the management could be ran better.
international shoppes
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Valley Stream, NYJanuary 3, 2014
its different the environment is very interesting you have to be a strong person to work here
DONT WORK HERE!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Valley Stream, NYJuly 3, 2013
Cons: you will hate your life
My experience at International Shoppes was one of the WORST I have ever had in my career. I would caution anyone interested in employment at International Shoppes (especially the Inventory Department) to proceed with caution for the following reasons:

1) Management: This company is family owned, however is run by a hot headed Operations Manager whom – more... all other departments (including HR) bow to. He is intimidating and controlling, and things have to be done his way. All interviews must meet with him, and he is known to assign jobs other than those which the candidate applies because he thinks they would be a "better fit" for the candidate. As a result, many employees leave this revolving door company.

2) Compensation: This company does not make overtime available for employees who are asked to work at odd hours. They are requested to leave early or late so as to not exceed the regular working hours. Workers are expected to work late night hours, early morning hours, and sometimes weekend hours with minimal or no notice and are not paid an overtime rate to provide incentive for this work. Additionally, the rates of pay for non management employees are disturbingly low.

3) Black out period: Most departments in this company are not permitted to take any time off during November and December (including vacation time).

4) Benefits: Benefits package is decent, but costs an arm and a leg, especially if you have a family. Additionally, employees are given a very minimal amount of sick/personal time.

5) Backward process/procedure: International Shoppes has a lot of catching up to do technologically, organizationally, and in their policies and procedures. They operate in a vacuum and are very resistant to change. Things have been done the way they are done for a very long time and there is always an excuse given for why it is not possible to improve their broken practices.

6) Additionally, you will find your morale constantly lowered by less than professional and hostile people who are employed by this company and allowed to get away with behavior that is not suitable for a workplace. I went home in tears from this job many a time, and when I addressed my concerns with HR I was basically given the ring around and the issue was left pretty much unresolved until it seriously affected my job, resulting in an inability to perform my duties and ultimately, my separation from the company.

Please think hard before accepting a job here. Terrible, terrible, company to work for. – less
Fun workplace where you get to meet a lot of interesting people
Bilingual Sales Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 24, 2013
Pros: high volume of people
Cons: if a plane is delayed then you have to remain at at work until departure
Its very fun working at Logan Airport. You get to meet very nice people from all over the world. I learned how to deal with different personalities working at this particular workplace. My co workers are very nice and work well with me as a team.
fun work place
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 17, 2013
Pros: discounts on perfumes, accesories
Cons: short breaks, biweekly pay check
you get to work with different types of people all over the world since its in the airport. Coworkers are well to get along with, need to stand long period of time.
Great working environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), John F Kennedy Airport, NYOctober 17, 2012
Pros: very cultured environment.
Cons: didn't see much of managers leading by example.
I enjoyed the people while working at this job but management needs a lot of help. The strategies that management use to keep their workers in line is very questionable. Management seemed to be overbearing at times but then friendly during others. The philosophy of leading by example was only present with some managers and not others. I have been lied – more... on by management because I was receiving recognition from the store manager. I wasn't able to switch two days just so that I can continue schooling so I was forced to quit. Other than that I loved my co workers and I loved the customers and I had a great experience working there. – less
Mom and Pop Shop
Recruiter (Former Employee), Valley Stream, NYAugust 7, 2012
International Shoppes owns the duty free locations in the airports. I created the recruiting system.
enjoyable to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Valley Stream, NYAugust 1, 2012
Pros: local driving
Cons: trucks breaking down
load the company truck and make deliveries at the local airports
Fast Pace Meet Lots Of Different People
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 19, 2012
Good money pretty good environment enjoyed meeting different people everyday.
not a good place to work at all
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Valley Stream, NYJune 27, 2012
Pros: nice perfumes
Cons: bad healthcare plan
This place is not fair when it comes time for promotions. The chief officer who is there is a Big redneck who runs the place like a slave cotton field especially for the warehouse workers. I feel sorry for them. The chief officers and his puppets who are afraid to go up against him are just as worse. They don't value there employees and if he don't – more... like you, out the door you go. I'm suprise that this office has not closed down yet. All I can say is that what goes around comes back around and I would not want to be in any of these people shoes when it comes around for them. – less
fun place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 20, 2012
it was good.. i had good communication skills..
people were nice.. always helping you if your lost
Ok Pay, But Lousy Management Constantly Playing Favorites
Sales Associate (Former Employee), JFK AirportDecember 10, 2011
Pros: it's a job
Cons: short breaks made to take early in the morning, limit on bathroom break 2-3 a day.
They use good employees to do legwork and the employees who kiss butt get promoted. Promotions never based on merit and they hire a considerable amount of outside management rather than promoting from within. Extremely unprofessional general manager, allows personal life to affect job performance constantly. Takes 10 YEARS to get 3 week vacation. OK – more... job for someone with no responsibilities or maybe for a first job, NOT for the long haul barely any mobility, trust me I have seen people who work there for over 15 years in the same position they started in. Not a great fit unless you like to be on your hands and knees to get somewhere in this company. – less