International Student Exchange Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Modern slaves
Area Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 4, 2017
Horrible company
Area rep (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 7, 2016
This company has absolutely no care about federal compliance, taking as much as possible foreign exchange students and placing many of them in horrible homes. When the children complain, they force them to sign papers saying that they have a bad behavior or threating to send them back home... Many rea reps don't screen properly the families and it happened that some of them were left in really bad environments. I just feel sad for their parents thinking about their children abroad and that's why I decided to leave this job, I felt too bad working for this company
Pros
No pros
Official response from International Student Exchange
October 17, 2016

Hello,

We are very sorry you did not have a favorable experience with our organization, however we can assure that our organization retains a deep respect and commitment to federal compliance as is illustrated by our 3,000+ successful programs each year, which are completed in coordination with the D.O.S. We strive to provide the best experience possible for our students, families, and representatives. To ensure the safety and well-being of our students and families, each home must be rigorously screened by both our remote regional office staff and our compliance department located at our central office. Our applications require extensive background information, home photos, criminal background checks, and in-person visits.This is non-negotiable and each and every family that is accepted into our program must abide by these guidelines. As with all exchange programs, a situation may arise when a placement does not work out either due to compatibility issues or because a representative deems it necessary to relocate the student to ensure the success of their program. If this is the case, we employ a 24/7 support staff to assist students and families and, if necessary, relocate the student to a more suitable home. The well-being of our students and families ALWAYS comes first, and if your experience does not reflect this we would love to hear from you directly so we can work to remedy the situation immediately. You can email us at contact@iseusa.org. Thank you.

A great program to work for if you get the right supervisor to help you.
Director of Program Development (Former Employee) –  Babylon, N.Y.September 16, 2015
Working from home can be quite challenging. Talking with people by phone, email, skype, instant messaging, and facebook brings a lot of variety. The goal is to find, hire, and train people to find good homes for high school exchange students and then become a friend to them and to the student. You work with the school, community, and various organizations. I learned to think outside the box when it came to recruiting and promoting student exchange. The management and co-workers are all very pleasant and supportive. The hardest part of my job was the lack of support I had from my direct supervisor. I was given no training, no direction, no return calls or emails, which ultimately lead to my dismissal. The most enjoyable part is working with some really great people, making friends and watching students and families bond. Nothing brings more satisfaction than knowing you had a part in bringing them together and helping them become a family for life.
Pros
Earn international trips, great health coverage
Cons
having a poor supervisor
Not Suggest unless have good networking
(ISE) Area Representative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 24, 2015
The salary actually is good UNLESS you know LOT of LOT of people who are kind enough to volunteer for becoming host families. Otherwise, this job is worst than be a sales person because it does not even have base salary.
Official response from International Student Exchange
October 17, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for giving our organization a try, we understand it is a unique position that is not suitable for all job-seekers. We appreciate the efforts of each and every representative in our organization. It is important to understand that the Area Representative position is not meant to be a typical sales job but rather meant to provide supplemental income, travel incentives, and the opportunity to make a real, positive impact in your community. The most successful Area Representatives are those with a volunteer spirit who truly believe in the importance of cultural exchange at the high school level and can transmit that passion to others within their towns.

Team work and creativity
Homeless Coordinator for the State of Arkansas (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 15, 2014
Working for the State of Arkansas for over 25 years I learned a lot about team work. I had a wonderful boss who understood the importance of letting his employees be creative and yet work within the guide lines of the job. My program was a one person shop but we relied on the other programs in the office to provide a comprehensive approach to the problem of homelessness. My co-workers were always helpful and the programs they monitored were am important part of the services we were providing.
Pros
I loved what I did. Helping people each and every day
Cons
There was never enough money to do all that needed to be done.
Meeting and talking with a variety of new people daily
Area Representative (Current Employee) –  Babylon, NYOctober 7, 2014
Working with exchange students and host families is never dull. You are learning something new all the time. It can be fast paced, or slow paced. You set your own hours. Your pay depends on how much and how hard you work.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
Pay is based on commission
Brought the world to me
Area Representative (Current Employee) –  Babylon, NYSeptember 14, 2014
I met with local high schools to obtain permission for foreign student attendance. Once I had their permission, I would search for potential host families in that district, through display booths, presentations, and phone calls. I screened potential host families; if they met our criteria, I would search through our students to find at least 2 good matches for that family. Once the family chose a student, then I would provide information to both parties so they could contact one another and establish a relationship. I would then follow up with the school and enroll the student within their school. I would train the host families prior to the student's arrival. Once the student arrived, I would contact the family and student multiple times each month, in person, monitoring progress and troubleshooting any problems that arose. I would assist other representatives by providing home observations and reports. I would plan at least 3 activities a year for all of my students and families. I would also chaperon the Iowa State Student Leadership Conference. I would keep in close contact with the schools to monitor student performance, both academically and socially. When the school year came to an end, I would closely monitor each student to make sure they encountered no problems with their return home. After the students returned to their countries, I would meet and follow up with their host families, ask them if they would host again, and process them as needed.
Pros
I get to meet a lot of wonderful people! Also, I learn a lot about different cultures around the world.
Cons
Pay is low, only about enough to cover personal expenses. There are no insurance benefits.
My First Job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Babylon, NYAugust 19, 2012
In high school I took this part-time job so I could afford to get my nails done. I know it sounds silly but I am firm believer that if there's a will, there's a way. When I got there I would take all the phone messages and pass them out to the other employees and forward any e-mails that came into the general e-mail box. When the phone wasn't ringing there was a table in the corner with papers in the order they were to be gathered and stapled in. I would take one from each pile and then staple them together to fill as many boxes as I could. Most of the other employees worked in the building next to the one I worked in so I rarely conversed with them except to drop off their messages or forward calls to them. There wasn't much to it but it was my first step towards becoming an working adult.
Amazing work helping international students experience American culture.
Director of Program Services (Current Employee) –  Babylon, NYApril 25, 2012
There is no typical day when working with international students and agents. I spend my time working with Information Technology, ensuring Compliance with the Department of State and helping to develop more effective ways to train our staff.

Want to know more about International Student Exchange?

Ask a question