International Union of Elevator Constructors Employee Reviews

good work environment
Elevator Constructor-Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILJune 19, 2017
job was great, good pay, loved working with tools and helping the community to ravel up and down with ease, felt great knowing i was helping people travel
Pros
good work environment
Cons
can get a little dangerous
Productive and hard work
Elevator Mechanic Helper (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJanuary 3, 2017
I liked the fact that everybody worked safely and goes home to their families in the same manner they showed up everyday! I liked knowing that I can put a full days of work and be well compensated for it.
Every day is a new adventure.
Elevator Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2016
Working in the elevator industry has opened the door to develop a multitude of different skills.
In the installation side of the industry I learned hoisting and rigging, welding, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and carpentry skills.
Adjusting duties included final alignment, adjustment, and calibration of all functions of elevator operation. Also all inspections and coordination with other building systems were required work.
In the service-repair side of the industry I was exposed to more in depth electrical wiring and trouble shooting control circuits, both low voltage and motor controls. I also participated in periodic testing and inspections of elevator operations as well as performing preventive maintenance.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Union
Maintenance Mechanic/Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  USFebruary 15, 2015
Its like anyplace. Its what you make of it. You either work hard and earn your keep or don't make an effort and get replaced
Proud member of IUEC
member (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ SanDiego, CA Honolulu, HIOctober 21, 2014
I have been a member of IUEC for almost 30 years. Building elevators has been a most rewarding career. the trade changes constantly and keeping up with technology has been challenging and interesting to say the least.
Interesting job with great pay and benifits.
Apprentice/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2014
Learned to work as a team and also learned the basics of several trades such as plumbing, electrical, hydraulics and many others. The management as well as my co-workers were easy to work with and always willing to help if problems were encountered. The Heavy lifting was the toughest part of the job. It was worth it though not to have to climb the stairs everyday.
Pros
Excellent pay and benifits.
Cons
Always traveling and too dangerous.
No stability
Elevator Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2013
Glad I have the experience. But the union has changed since being in it for 16 years. The schooling has really messed things up as far as Mechanics go. So there is no stability. Plus the market has everyone scrambling for jobs. Lay offs and some helpers and mechanics will never work in this field again.
To build and maintain an elevator or escalator with pride, while implementing all safety procedures available to me as well as my co-workers.
Elevator & Escalator Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Northern VirginiaSeptember 25, 2012
To unload a brand new elevator from a truck still in pieces and boxes, dealing with the elements and many other obstacles, to riding the elevator 3 weeks later is an accomplishment that is overwhelming beyond expression. A very strong sense of accomplishment.
Pros
taking pride in my work and knowing that it is safe and will be in operation for many years to come!
Cons
dealing with the elements, snow rain, wind, cold and heat while still producing a quality product.
nepotism is the norm as far as work and training
Elevator Constructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 17, 2012
A lot of potential if the union could focus on core values. Some members are good everyday people while others feel they are entitled.
Pros
there were some good points
Cons
the bad points outwieghed the good ones
Fast paced, Extremely Challenging on all levels
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDApril 21, 2012
The elevator trade union is made up of various companies and over 1000 union members. This trade is great for any individual who is strong of heart, body, and mind. It is extremely fast paced and very challenging both mentally and physically. It brings with it great benefits and and many rewards. Opportunity for advancement is limited only by ones self and what you are willing to put into your own career. This is not a field to get into if you are not wanting a career!