About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is the world’s trusted independent source of leadership for Internet policy, technology standards, and future development. Based on its principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet Society works with its members and Chapters around the world to promote the continued evolution and growth of the open Internet through dialog among companies, governments, and other organizations around the world.
About the Position
The Senior Economist is a newly created position established to deepen the Internet Society’s leadership on key Internet development, policy, market, and technology issues. S/he will provide strategic understanding of the underlying economic dynamics and implications of Internet issues and provide insight on current and emerging topics and trends. The Senior Economist will be responsible for leading quantitative and qualitative economic analyses, producing innovative research, and providing intellectual leadership on economic issues to advance the impact of Internet Society positions, policies, and programmes.
S/he will also responsible for spearheading “best of class”, innovative, and high-impact initiatives and flagship reports that advance the Internet Society’s advocacy of issues related to the growth, health, and impact of the Internet globally.
Overall, we expect the Senior Economist to play a key role in the Internet Society’s objective to be a trusted and sought after resource for Internet information and thought leadership.
The position is located in and reports to the Department of Strategic Development and Business Planning, but will serve in a cross-organizational capacity. As such, s/he will be expected to engage, collaborate, and build momentum for activities and initiatives and effectively advise internal stakeholders on the economic dimensions of global and regional Internet issues.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate creativity and analytical rigor, combined with internationally recognized expertise in Internet economics.
This position will ideally be based in either the Geneva, Switzerland or Reston, VA, USA office of the Internet Society.
- Provide strategic input and intellectual leadership in advancing economic insight and analysis in Internet Society initiatives, projects, and issue areas (including policy, development, and technology) across global and regional dimensions.
- Collaborate on a cross-organizational basis to identify, build support for, and lead new economic projects and data-driven initiatives that advance the mission and objectives of the Internet Society.
- Strengthen the Internet Society’s use of qualitative and quantitative data in its advocacy on key Internet issues, including leading the development and production of innovative Internet economic research, reports and analysis in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Conceptualize and develop statistical analyses that demonstrate the state-of-play and track results of key Internet Society objectives.
- Identify key opportunities for leveraging economic insight to advance advocacy on key topics.
- Present at relevant global and regional events and Internet Society conferences.
- Raise funds to support related projects, reports, and new initiatives, in collaboration with the Internet Society’s Resource Development team.
- PhD in economics (or equivalent) from a leading institution.
12+ years of economic experience and expertise related to Internet issues, including in an international environment.
- Proven understanding of the technical, governance, development, business, and policy challenges facing the Internet and Internet ecosystem and a demonstrated track record of related influential economic research and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience developing effective collaborations and partnerships across disciplines and building consensus in cross-cultural and cross-functional environments to achieve outcomes.
- Ability to manage complex projects and meet deadlines, including many projects concurrently, and deliver outcomes across ad-hoc and virtual teams.
- Accomplishments that reflect teamwork, integrity and accountability. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment and deliver quality results in a growing, globally distributed organization.
- Proven ability to raise funds for projects and deliver to expectations.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills in English, and proficiency in at least one additional language a distinct advantage.
- Ability and willingness to undertake frequent international travel.
Applicants should be familiar with the Internet Society’s mission and objectives, including the 2013-2015 Business Plan located at http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/organization-reports-and-policies/business-plan. Compensation for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Information about the Internet Society and its activities may be found at http://www.isoc.org.
Applicants should send their CV, cover letter, and examples of work related to Internet economic issues to email address listed in posting.