Interstate Batteries Employee Reviews

Best work experience of my life
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Granger, INDecember 8, 2017
Could get any days off I wanted with advanced notice, worked around my school schedule, could work long or short days if I wanted more or less hours. They brought or made me lunch everyday, fast paced work with a relaxed attitude. Extremely positive work environment.
Pros
Free lunches, long breaks, good pay, worked around my schedule
Cons
Exposure to lead and battery acid.
Productive Work Place With Every Changing Day
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2017
The start of the day at Interstate consist of loading orders pulled by sales associates from prior shift. Printing and placing orders in delivery sequence as well as placements in the delivery van. There is also requirements of bring in new business accounts inquires. The orders have to be placed in delivery sequence for efficiency for a prompt delivery sequence. I've learned the sequence of wiring four to six batteries in sequence to achieve the wire power in R/V applications. The store manager makes the job joyous with his commentary about doing our jobs to the best of our ability. Weight is the hardest part of the job batteries can weight as much as 40lbs. to 128lbs easily. I enjoy the cemetery of my coworkers we where a good team.
Pros
Able to see the city of Houstons changes and advancements
Cons
Traffic
Main division of company took preference in resources, etc
SR. MANAGER-PURCHASING AND QUALITY ASSURANCE (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 12, 2017
In my opinion, the division I worked in existed solely as a supplement to the main business. Resources were limited. It did not seem to me that there was any effort in improving the business. As a result, it was very laid back but if you are one who strives for continuous improvement, it can be very frustrating.
Pros
Benefits were good. A lot of team building activities
Cons
No interest in continuous improvement
Family & Faith Company
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2017
Interstate is a very family and faith based company that cares about its employees. Communication has greatly improved in the years I've been there. I have learned a lot in my roles there.
Pros
Discounts, benefits
Cons
Cerrtain positions don't have much advancement
Great place good people
Battery specialist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 27, 2017
My experiance here was purely positive. They really take care of their employees. Always looked after, you could really tell how much they cared about you as their employee.
Pros
Cons
No install bay, outside installs got pretty bad during winter
Interstate in Haltom is family owned
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Haltom City, TXOctober 24, 2017
Great staff and great management but the general manager is the owners son of this family owned branch and doesn't really have the experience as a general manager
Pros
Hour lunch, free lunch/coffe, discount on batteries
Cons
No air conditioning or heater, weather gets extreme and the warehouse enhances the feel of the weather
Tolerable and boring place to work.
Inside Sales/ Business Development (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 13, 2017
I am severely underutilized. I’m always having to find things to do. My office desk is in the back of a storage room. I perform menial and marginally productive tasks. The owner is very dismissive and does not listen.
Pros
Vacation time, good people
Cons
Absentee ownership, no benefits, no room for advancement
Fun place to work with great coworkers and management
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 9, 2017
Management and coworkers were easy to get along with and they were very flexible with family schedules. Learned a lot dealing with different types of batteries and customers
Interstate Batteries is well known and provides good service.
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2017
I would recommend Interstate Batteries as an optional vendor for batteries, other goods and/or services. Growth in the workplace and with this company is limited.
Pros
Good batteries.
Cons
Job advancement is limited.
No fun
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IASeptember 8, 2017
I feel like the pay compensation is not there when other places are paying more. There are chances that the batteries could possibly explode in your hands or burn you.
good corporate company. franchise all varry
ROUTE SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 5, 2017
I like my job but was let go for unfair reason. the management was fair but had to much micro management on there end. the employees for the most part were fun and easy to work with.
Pros
fun people and good management.
Cons
no HR or fair treatment
Interstate Batteries
Remote Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 4, 2017
I applied for one position, but upon getting hired was placed in a different role. Management was good and effective. No orientation of formal training program for the position I was in.
Pros
Manage fair, work conditions good
Cons
Hired for one position and place in another.
Needs better management
Support Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2017
Interstate Batteries has a dream - they call it Purpose and Values. The only problem with it is that too many of the employees don't bother to follow the dream. Management is very weak and they mostly manage up and allow too much freedom to the 'workers' so much so there is a bit of anarchy - no one is on time, they leave early call in sick a lot etc...leaving the burden of getting work done to the loyal few idiots that do show up everyday. Management simply won't manage the problem. Interstate also changes too much too often
Pros
Great benefits and extreme freedom to do what you want
Cons
Too much freedom, management weak in a LOT of departments but not all
Lack of good management, too many changes.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IA 50323August 11, 2017
Can't establish good relationships with customers due to always being switched to a different territory. Always making new rules and them not being addressed to everyone.
They do have a lot of fun company activities, and the sick leave and pto are good as well. Hours are awesome and absolutely no weekends or holidays.
Pros
No weekends and paid holidays off.
Cons
Poor management with to high of turnover.
Change is not always good
Route manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 23, 2017
The company has done a 180 since I began working there. It's not longer family oriented or "Christian based" as much as they preach this. I enjoy the team I work with, but the management they ship in every two years for replacement have no idea how things work and it ruins the culture.
Pros
Good hours, benefits
Cons
No advancement to management, new managers are not qualified
Professional yet relaxed work environment
Owner/President (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYJuly 14, 2017
Owner/Operator of $3 million dollar business. I preformed any and all accounting functions related to the business. I also helped out in any capacity that was needed.
Pros
Owner/Operator
Cons
Owner/Operator
Busy busy busy. But good benefits. Good training an will work with you.
wearhouse worker (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 7, 2017
There is a lot of heavy lifting. An high expectations. Its very beneficial to be taller than 5.5. They provide excellent health care an dental. As well as a 401k plan. Advancements are possible just half to put in your time. I left because i am a driver that is what i love. A position for that was unknown. An i have a big family to provide for. But all in all was an ok job.
No loyalty to Employees
N/A (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2017
Worked for this company for over 15 years, until they decided that they needed to do a reduction in force and let almost 75 people go. Co workers were good to get along with, but there was always the feeling of "impending doom" after about 2003 forward. We were always told that "You are your job security" but that obviously wasn't the case. Hardwork/loyalty didn't pay off. And, to top it all off, I was called several times, after being let go, to ask "how do I do this"?. Really not the company that it used to be.
Pros
Chaplain - free lunches
Cons
No family time. Lots of unpaid overtime expected. No loyalty to long term employees.
A lot of hours without real recognition.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 4, 2017
Many people I know were terminated without cause other than a "company restructure" many of these people were employees that were close to full retirement, and had dedicated most of their lives to this company.
Good job but no personal time
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Lorton, VAJune 30, 2017
This is a good place to work for but you are required to be available 24 hours a day. Not much freedom when it comes to time off and when you can take it. The benefits are nice but at the end of a 50 to 60 hour work week you can't really enjoy your life.
Benefits
Cons
Underpaid for the hours worked