Interstate Distributor Co. Employee Reviews

check cashes
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 26, 2017
Wouldn't work there as company driver...the owner op with freedom board is where the best money is.company drivers don't get enough miles...800 bucks a week is not enough.
Typical trucking company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 25, 2017
Not much to say here. Not the best but not the worst. Was hoping for a bit more. Most problems here are typical industry problems. The things they do well, they do very well. They were recently purchased by Heartland Express, and now everything is up in the air.
Pros
Good main terminal, . Nice people
Cons
Miles may vary. Less than optimal equipment. Currently changing Ownership.
Northwest based transportation company.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 16, 2017
Northwest based transportation company that was in buisiness for over 80 years. Interstate Distributor Co. provides truckload dry van, refrigerated, flat bed and roll door freight solutions.
Interstate is a family orientated business
Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNJuly 14, 2017
Interstate was a good company to work for, recently they have been sold and in the process of changing ownership, before being sold, Interstate was a very family orientated company and was a fun but business place to work, They established an excellent safety record both in the shops and also on the road with their drivers
Pros
Safety and compeitive pay
Cons
health benefits
Good Company
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 6, 2017
Before Heartland Express bought Interstate Distributor, it was a great place to work. The IT department was a little undersized, but I had opportunities to move up.
Good Dispatching
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 4, 2017
Always Had Loads to Haul, Never Down, Excellent People to Work For. If Truck broke down, they'd pay for a Hotel. They flew me to Orientation. I left because the pay rate fluctuated each week, from 400-700. I didn't like working 60+ hours a week then I'd be compensated 400. for the effort I put in, pay would roll over onto the next week. Left for a better paying job and grew tired of being away from home for extended periods of time.
Was a great co to work for
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 26, 2017
This co is fair and provides great pay and miles. I dont know what else to say and they are forcing me to write more, so here it is.....Great place to work
They are turning into big brother
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 15, 2017
They were one of the company's that you felt like they cared. Now it is becoming more like the driver is suppose to be a high achieving robot. One mistake and they will put you under survalence by putting cameras on your dashboard. It has turned to a very stressful job working for them.
June 19, 2017

We are a safety first company. We are in the process of putting outward-facing cameras in all of our company trucks. 80 percent of car-truck crashes are caused by the car driver (according to the ATA). The purpose of the cameras is to protect our drivers when cars are travelling unsafely and creating unsafe situations.

We're happy to talk about how our cameras work and how we use the videos to improve situational awareness and safety for all of our drivers. For anyone with questions, we would ask them to contact their fleet manager or operations manager.

We've found that when drivers take the time to understand the cameras and their function, they appreciate having concrete evidence when a car is travelling unsafely around their truck.

Drivers are a dime a dozen
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 12, 2017
Ask any one in management and they will tell you the drivers are a dime a dozen
Everyone here who is not a driver seems they don't have anyone to report to and they don't return voice mails.
If you are looking for a place to go where you less then nothing, you've found it
June 19, 2017

Thank you for your review. Drivers are extremely valuable to us, and we were named Best Fleets to Drive For in 2017 for the 3rd year in a row. This award is based on a survey of our own drivers.

We have a very clear chain of command in our operations department. Your fleet manager reports to an operations manager and on up the chain of command. You are welcome to talk with anyone you want in the company, and our open-door policy allows you to meet with anyone in the company including the CEO.

If you're having issues with communication, please let us know. If you're not sure who to call, please call our Driver Care Center at 253-538-4431, and we will help you figure it out.

Good job, bad management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 12, 2017
The management at Interstate will be what brings the company down. The culture between shifts is a shell shock as each runs differently than the next.

The company was doing well when I started but is losing management positions very quickly. They offer a poor work/life balance with the shifts they offer and will change your shift with a days notice.
Pros
Good pay
June 19, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like we are not meeting your expectations, and we would like to hear more from you for how you think we can improve. Please engage with your manager, director, and/or vice president.

We are invested in building a better place to work – as one team, which means we need everyone to engage, speak up and help us improve. We need shared trust in order to have a strong team, and we look forward to you stepping up and taking leadership in your role.

the workplace
Company Truck Driver, CDL-A (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 5, 2017
A total family orientated company. id go back a second and third time. always work, always when you need time off, they get you home, pay is good, no pressure loads
Pros
family orientated
Brokerage assistant
Work study/Assistant in Brokerage (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 4, 2017
Workplace culture is friendly, inviting, and helpful. The brokerage team at Interstate was energetic and made my time at Interstate enjoyable. The management is down to earth and easy to talk to.
a job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 26, 2017
the job was good place to work. at the start. then it went down hill from there. the hardest part of the job. was not being home. they try to keep you out.
June 19, 2017

In our driving jobs, we work to provide predictability. When a regional driver starts with us, they choose their home time. Regional jobs can be out 5-7 days, 10-14 days, or longer if the driver chooses. It's up to the driver to decide what works best for them and their home life. If you're feeling like you need more predictability in your schedule, ask your fleet manager about any dedicated or local opportunities near you. Thanks for writing.

Fast paced and Data driven environment
Capacity Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 24, 2017
Management is very structured at Interstate Distributor and roles are clear. There is not much room for advancement but ample opportunity to switch into new roles or join other departments. Stress can be high on the Operations Floor. Coworkers are friendly but in such a fast paced logistics team there is hardly time to socialize or take breaks throughout the day.
There are amazing and strong leaders who have really helped me grow through different roles.
Great place for the young and the healthy
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 18, 2017
It was a great place to work as long as you remember that sitting for most of the day behind the wheel can lead to health issues. Be prepared to not have a stable sleep schedule and over the road food options are less than what they would be if you had a full kitchen. If you can over come the health issues, then by all means give the big rig life a spin.
The management is nice and understand unless you get into critical accidents that cost them money.
Having good people skills going into this line of work is a bonus and will go far at doing the job well.
Decent Place
Company Over-The-Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 14, 2017
I have worked for Interstate before they filed bankruptcy also when they got bought out. I was never disappointed with them. I enjoyed the benefits, 401k match, ability to have a pet in your truck & the pay wasn't half bad on the refer division.
Pros
Pets welcome
Cons
Home time can be difficult at times to get.
Great family atmosphere.
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 1, 2017
Very busy work environment. Great fleet managers with plenty of work. They work hard for you to make the most income possible. Flexible home time, easy access to managers.
Pros
Nice terminal facilities.
Cons
Slow vehicle repairs.
Great Company To Work For.
Cross Country Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 16, 2017
Typical day at work, was just checking in my truck and made sure the truck works good before my trip for my safety. Great Company to work for. Love it
good place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 7, 2017
I enjoyed my years with Interstate Distribution and wish I could have stayed. The dispatchers for the most part were educated and pleasant to work with.
Commute wonderful. Co-workers wonderful. Management average
Stategic Account Customer Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 6, 2017
My commute was perfect for me. I loved what I did and loved my co-workers. I was stunned to be laid off due to company downsizing. I would go back if they felt the need to add an experienced person as myself back into the fold.
Pros
Commute, pay, atmosphere, co-workers
Cons
stress, too many managers, not enough workers for work volume

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Interstate Distributor Co.. Our community is ready to answer.

Interstate Distributor Co. Reviews by Location