Interstate Distributor Co.

Interstate Distributor Co. Employee Reviews

Easy job but very low pay for experienced drivers
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAAugust 13, 2016
Night shift typically starts at around 7pm. You get to the yard and clock in on the computer in the truck and literally sit til about 10:00-10:30 pm. Your night on average will finish at around 02:30. Some nights you'll work until about 04:00 maybe twice a week. Top pay is 18.00 dollars an hour and it is straight pay. No overtime! No holiday pay, so if you're off on any holiday, you will not be paid. Do the math, it doesn't add up. If you're a beginner and you want an easy job to build experience and live off of about 700 a week before taxes, then by all means, knock yourself out.
Pros
Super easy job, more waiting around than actual driving, no touch, drop and hook. (Night drivers only)
Cons
Low low pay, no pay raises, no overtime pay, no holiday pay.
One of the Top 10 Best Places for a Driver to work
Regional and OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 17, 2016
Once again, Interstate has been included in the Top 10 Best Places for a Driver. Why? They care. Great equipment, good people you can talk with on any issues, and the miles are there if you want them as an OTR.

I drive OTR, Regional and always treated with respect and dignity. Never once has anyone treated me less than a professional.

Local delivery is always the same with almost any firm - by the hour.

But this is a great company to work for. You'll never get laid off, a nice group of people. Remember, a Dispatcher has to keep 20-30 drivers busy, answer their questions, interface with customers, plus answer to a Planner. The goal is to get freight delivered for a fee.We get paid to deliver freight.That's why they call this "WORK'.

I suspect if you have a complaint with Interstate, you'll complain on anybody you work for.

Best advice - talk with your dispatchers when needed. Remember they have 20 other driver waiting to hear from them. If you don't talk they can't listen.
Pros
Great Company, great equipment
Cons
Benefits may be a little high
I truly enjoyed my job and felt that I was able to contribute in a positive way.
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 12, 2016
I handled incoming new and existing claims for truck drivers and the other parties that were involved in accidents. I handled all severities of claims from minor vehicle or truck damage to fatal accidents. I investigated, set reserves, evaluated, negotiated and settled all types of liability and physical damage claims. I routinely worked with defense and plaintiff counsel, attended mediations, participated in audits and legal file reviews. I also handled cargo claims and managed several adjusters and cargo clerks. I learned a tremendous amount about semi trucks, trailers, accident reconstruction, legal issues, settlements, BEST practices. The hardest part of my job was helping parties get through being involved in a fatality accident. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help parties through the most difficult times after having an accident.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
work environment
Beware Of This Company!!!
Solo OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 3, 2015
Well mmm where shall I begin. It all begun constantly with non communication between wanna be "fleet mangers" aka originally dispatchers and ignorant "load planners" whom FAIL repeatedly to communicate at times vital information needed to the drivers support to complete their tasks either under a load or securing a load, whether enroute or for the next day. I waived my doubts on this company, and had welcoming hopes for "Interstate Co." but things begun to just trickle down hill, until hitting the #1 No No!! messing with a Driver's PAY. In conclusion, to the viewers and readers, whom are seeking the truth about this company, no matter where or whom you may become employed by NOTE their will always be issues, and failure of communication among dispatchers and drivers; needless to say you will in FACT remain productive, and moving with this company, yes they will honor their word to keep you moving as a driver, but here is the FACT when a company repeatedly holds a drivers orientation on every Monday beginning of a new week, should raises a Red Flag, among the many other time consuming errors and issues, not limiting this company, but to all others as well.
Pros
Decent Newer Truck
Cons
Communication, PAYROLL!! Error's, Dispatchers
Typical trucking company
Driver (Former Employee) –  ArizonaAugust 26, 2016
Nothing to see here, same old stuff you see at any large trucking company. Top officials line their pockets off the hard work of the modern day slave labor they employ to do their bidding. Low wages, lack of respect for good drivers that go above and beyond, dispatchers that don't care about the driver, same stuff, different large company. Do yourself a favor, find a good decent small carrier, where you are treated with respect, your a name and not just a number and your given an honest days wage.
Cons
Too many to list
Stable job, low pay
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 27, 2016
The management will help you whenever you have issues on the road. There are long days and the pay is lower than the industry standard. They issue you a newer truck and will work with you on any issues. The benefits are so-so. The medical is high priced with little benefits. You drive up and down I-5 Wa, Ca, Co, Id, Az, NM a lot.
They do have facilities all over that are free to use Laundry, Showers, Truck Washes, Etc.
Pros
Great Fleet Mgrs, Facilities, Trucks
Cons
LOW PAY, Benefits, waste a lot of money that could go to drivers.
Worse company in the trucking industry
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 29, 2016
Worse company in the trucking industry, managers and dispatcher very disrespectful, for interstate your are just a number, no respect for their driver, specially Leonardo Garcia a worse wetback from the company in Dallas. Texas
Run from this company.
Pros
Nothing good to say about this company
Cons
Suck mofu
Great Place to work
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 14, 2016
Delivered hardware and supplies to Mom and Pop stores in Colorado and New Mexico for then majority of the time I worked at Interstate Distributor Company. Great scenery. Management was good and fair. Worse part was the snowy winters in the mountains of Colorado.
Low ball pay scale
Local CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAMay 10, 2016
This is a good company for beginners! It is a good place to start, provided you still live at home with your mom, don't pay mortgage or rent and looking to start a career in trucking...so get your feet wet!
Pros
Kick back easy work
Cons
Slip seat operation for some, not all. Playing "favorites seems to be a thing here. No hours, therefore the pay is quite low week after week (about 580.00 dollars take home pay a week)
The worse training and supervisor I have experienced.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 23, 2016
I had the worse training and supervisor I have ever experienced. She did not help me succeed. Just looked for things I messed up on. Blamed me for inadequacy.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
my supervisor
demanding industry good people
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNJuly 26, 2016
decent place to work--long hours very demanding Industry--stressful and overbearing industry to work in for a long time-you must be very committed to the job and it's demands
Pros
nice people
Cons
demanding industry
Trucks where Auto shift
Class A Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 10, 2016
I was not confortable with the Automatic Shift in winter driving it would keep shifting as I would be coming down a steep down grade and shifting me around corners when I needed to move slowly.
Good place to work did not like being away from home
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 5, 2016
This is a good company if you like over the road. Management Ok they would work with you, They had good equipment. The DC were good.
great famiy company
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed my time there. A close knit family. There has been changes since I worked there with new ownership, so policies and procedures would have changed
Pros
family values
Cons
12 hour work days
very good company
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 10, 2016
the company was very good trying to take a break from driving wouldn't mind working with this company again. The company is up front about everything such as benefit's and vacation time, and always making sure you on home on time.
A bunch of liars
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mt. JulietApril 23, 2015
Poor communication, no respect for drivers, will leave you sitting when you fm is off duty, too many drivers on one fm's board to handle. If you like living in a truck this company is for you. Hometime is a joke. Look at three weeks out before you get home. Amazing how they lie to you in orientation and you get on the road and you're on your own. Sitting til your fm gets to you. Funny how FORMER truck drivers give good reviews. If it was so GOOD why are you FORMER? All in all large trucking companies care nothing about the driver. We come a dime a dozen. A company that has orientation every week has to raise a eyebrow.
Pros
Nice trucks.
Cons
But maintenance doesn't keep the up to date on service resulting in breakdowns.
Some great people to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 8, 2016
They kept me busy.
Learned more information about trucking industry
Co-workers had great knowledge and very helpful
Boss, was honest, upfront, wealth of information.
In great location
Enjoyed my Temp. job position
Ownership and Management Change
Road Call Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TacomaAugust 25, 2015
IDC is staffed with many dedicated employees, Professionals, who are led by what is known as "5 Year" managers: this has cost IDC an enormous amount of talent who have left the company - including 20 to 30 year employees. During my last year there, any dissent or dis-agreement was dealt with by management escorting the offender out the front door; again, long time employees. I resigned, and left the company.
Pros
Dedicated fleet managers, customer service representatives, planners, breakdown and maintenance personnel, and drivers.
Cons
Managers with no vested interest except their personal resumes.
Compensation was not on par with company expectations of drivers
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNOctober 29, 2015
I liked the company overall. I struggled to get home time due to lack of freight lanes into my home base area. I would have stayed except I missed my daughters wedding due to poor planning on managements' part.
Pros
nice people, no predictive radar on my truck
Cons
wanted me to drive out of normal schedule, home time issues
company good
Semi Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 3, 2012
pay and benifits were decent when I was employed there.
shop manager and upper management was great at least on the technician side. some of their choices for shift forman even keeping them after a number of writen complaints from other employee's.

job security is 3.5 stars advancement 3.0

sometimes keeping up with repairs during the 1 hour overlap on the shifts created mass confusion.
my coworkers were great less a few sour apples.
Pros
hours good not much ot but three shifts.
Cons
their choice in shift leaders, advancment few and far between

Interstate Distributor Co. Reviews by Location