intertek Employee Reviews

Good company to work for.
Measurement Technician (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAMarch 31, 2016
Intertek provides an excellent benefits package along with a competitive wages for its employees. They have an experienced managerial staff and co-workers that are always willing to assist others. I worked a 7&7 and 14&14 rotation offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. I traveled from platform to platform in the gulf tending to the needs of various customers. Working for Intertek was a great way for me to learn more about the measurement side of the oil and gas industry. I really enjoyed the responsibility that Intertek gave me of working on my own to fulfil the needs of their clients.
Work experience and environment
Senior Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAFebruary 18, 2016
Microsoft
Answering emails
Client and employee communication
Gathering logistics information domestically and internationally
Reserving flights, hotel and rentals.
Pre-planning future logistics coordination
Complete passport and visa applications to send to agency.
Analyze customer trends

I learned team work is a big part of a successful company. But, most importantly great managers and general manager is on my top list.
When managers are fair to their employees and treat everyone as equals it surfaces out in the workplace and makes the employee want to give more than 100%.
Pros
Great team work, positive feedback, great heath benefits
Cons
Health benefits, long lunch break
Nolonger what it used to be
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 14, 2016
The finance department has gone from back to worst. The current CFO is all about cutting costs and hiring cheap labor. Not necessarily about the quality of the work nor about making the finance environment more cohesive.

The finance team has had almost 100% turnover.
Pros
Cons
No job security, poor compensation, and poor management.
Project Engineer
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 10, 2016
Great environment for mechanical engineers to see emerging markets and work with manufacturers. Compensation is low for demand of hours to be worked. High-pressure environment with little help to be offered; fight or flight environment.
Pros
long vacation time
Cons
no overtime, high travel
Ok to work for.
Credit/Collection Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2016
ok work and life balance. The benefits and compensation are not a good as other places. There is job security but little chance of promotion.
Huge Company
engineer (Current Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 12, 2016
Rewarding job, very demanding culture. Has it's perks. Engineers have regular schedule, management often works late but micromanages. You make it what you want here.
Pros
PTO, Benefits, transfers
Cons
It was a great company to work for until they no longer required my services. I was hitting my sales quota. They called me one day to let me go.
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 3, 2016
Great people to work with on a daily basis. Lots of people care about their jobs and work very hard and long hours. Very ethical company. They support their customers and would prefer to win business through quality of work versus gifts and customer outings. The best part is that you are not micro-managed, they allow you to run your book of business as you see fit with very little interruption.

The downsize is that it is a large publicly-traded company and all they care about are the margins. Their employees are just a number and when your number is called, they let you go with no notice.
Pros
Great Health Coverage, some good people to work with.
Cons
Frequent Lay-offs, about every 2-3 years.
Loved my job, loved the people I worked with, great pay and benefits. Way to political and not enough common sense.
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYAugust 7, 2015
Woke up everyday NEVER saying I don't feel like not going to work. Woke up knowing I would see my friends and co-workers. I actually looked forward to working everyday.

I learned a lot.

Management was great (at least in my department). They were understanding, but, when it came down to it. They were corporate. Understandable (had to make that budget)

I had the best co-workers in the world.

Having to communicate with smart people that don't understand common sense.

Everything. I loved my job. Wish they would step on the human side of situations instead of worrying about the budget. Don't get me wrong but when it comes down to quality versus budget I am all for the quality and doing things right.
Pros
Great benefits, great friends, learning new things, enjoying my job.
Cons
Too money oriented. Put alot of people in alot of departments under undo stress.
Poor Management and Scheduling
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXSeptember 5, 2016
This company was great then went downhill. The Texas City office has lost their ability to keep staff. This office used to have structure and shift and promised alot fourth coming to join their company then after they fully staffed up decided to go back on their word. You will be required to work past 16hrs and be call 6 days a week. If your a family person this is a place to stay away from. The branch manager only seems to care about a bonus and his quaterly profit rather than his employees. Over 74% of the staff is gone within 4 months of the changes. This company seriously says one thing and does another.. Jack in the Box would be a better choice
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Managment, on call work 6 days at a time. Poor poor scheduling
Good place for the right people
Technician (Former Employee) –  New YorkAugust 15, 2016
At Intertek, you get the benefit of a large company, but small sites. This allows for a strong local community with a wide network. Unfortunately, this also promotes a competitive atmosphere betwen sites instead of one where the sites work together for the benefit of all.

It is a good company to gain testing experience early in your career. But, with poor training plans and very little focus on employee development, there are very few people who are given oppurtunities to advance in a meaningful way.
Pros
Good benefits, PTO, holidays
Cons
Performance driven by revenue goals, no formal training plans
Build & Release Support Engineer
Dev Ops/ Build & Release Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
Defined and Implemented CM and Release Management Processes, Policies and Procedures.
Coordinate/assist developers with establishing and applying appropriate branching, labelling/naming conventions using SVN source control.
Git Hub provides a web-based graphical interface and desktop as well as mobile integration.
Analyse and resolve conflicts related to merging of source code for SVN.
Implement, maintain and support reliable, timely and reproducible builds for project teams.
Maintained build related scripts developed in ANT, shell.
Modified build configuration files including Ant's build.xml.
Experienced in authoring pom.xml files, performing releases with the Maven release plugin of Java projects and managing Maven repositories.
Researched and implemented code coverage and unit test plug-ins with Maven/Jenkins.
Tough work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 19, 2016
Old school thinking that rewards only one thing and it sometimes doesn't matter how you go about getting it. They have been short sited in seeing the need to expand their vision into other markets which ultimately led to a huge layoff and creating fear in those that are still left. They removed many of the long term committed people and have gone to a strictly money performance measurement, not understanding those they let go where the ones committed to the company and were willing to see them through the hard times.
Pros
Majority of good people
Cons
Those in the most senior positions are focused on one thing and not you
Not worth it
tech (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 11, 2016
Trainers don't have any clue what they are doing and give the wrong information to new employees on important stuff

Negative atmosphere to work in- workers are constantly gossiping about other coworkers, putting them down and putting their work down, trainers throw tantrums when people make mistakes that are easy to fix and show no respect for workers

It's a man's world in that lab and you don't have to be there long to see it

The place needs to be cleaned out and the trainers need training themselves and maybe turnover wouldn't be so high

Land of the misfit toys
Pros
You can get some experience
Cons
You are just a work horse
Terrible place to work.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2016
This place is only driven by profit, profit for them. I was ripped off 20 hours because someone lost paperwork. Low pay, long hours and one of the mouthiest and disrespectful management I've ever met. Low moral and every that works there hates their job. They use you up and spit you out. Communication is the most inept and ineffective I've seen. PSI is only a temporary place on the way to better things.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Low pay, no respect, the lazy and complacent move up.
Great People
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2016
They are a great company to work for. They take care of their employees but it is all contract work so there really is no job security. They won't look for a new job for you even if you know that contract is ending with the current company you are with until it is completely over which makes for some stomach churning when the end of your contract is near.
Pros
Great Benefits & Friendly People
Cons
No job security; all contract work
Only focused on the bottom line
Lighting Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAMay 27, 2016
They just focus on meeting numbers month to month. They have shot themselves in the foot and this resulted in sudden unexpected layoffs. Morale at the Lake Forest office was bad but is not worse since the layoffs and the threat of more layoffs in 3 months.

Management are useless, work/life balance is non-existent and the engineers are payed way below the industry average.

Avoid this company at all costs.
Pros
Cons
poor work life balance, poor wages
old team was great but when we got new management with new policies the moral from inspections to the lab dramitaclly declined
Operations coordinator/ Inspector (Former Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAAugust 1, 2016
the most enjoyable part of the job was with our old management team where they cared about you as a person, while the new corporate management only saw money value and each employee was just a number.
It was ok working there
Customer Service, Typist and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 11, 2016
Working here was ok. It taught me a few things
I've learned how to typed forms and reports for
  internal quality personnel and external clientele.
Co workers were ok to work with
The most enjoyable part was actually going to work
Pros
good envorniment
Cons
manager was mean
Not the same
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 24, 2015
Since upper management change company does not support branches and is now only concerned with profit at any cost
poor HR
good benefits
removed the management that cared
Pros
insurance
Cons
horrible executive management
Measurement division
Measurement Technician (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAFebruary 2, 2016
The area that I was employed in was poorly managed and lacked advancement. They did not have enough diverse work to keep technicians busy. A majority of their work(90%) was with one company and they were not a good company to be associated with. The like to cut corners and this will have adverse effects later down the road. The only plus I can say about this company is they have very good health coverage.
Pros
Health coverage
Cons
too many to list