Inwood House Employee Reviews in United States

nice environemnt
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2016
A regular work day here is making sure the girls are up and doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Help them with whatever needs.

Secure they safety

Learned how to deal and accept people for the way they are.

Co-workers are amazing

Nothing is hard about this job

Helping these job and communicating with them in the most enjoyable part of the job
Horrible avoid at all cost!
Senior Leadership Role (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2016
This was once an excellent organization, that has faced constant transition over the past two years. They are currently merging with an another organization and since, have become extremely disorganized and appear to be facing extreme financial difficulties. They have recently laid off their top talent and continue to cut lines. They pay range was once competitive, but now, it is below the market average. The current leadership is horrible and appear to be inexperienced in all aspects of programmatic and non-profit leadership. They promote employees for all the wrong reasons (mostly employees who are inexperienced) and train their managers to adopt a typical bullying mentality to keep other employees in line. If you go along without questioning the decisions of the leadership you will do fine, but if you are someone who cares about best practices and the well-being of your clients, then this is NOT the organization for you. This leadership has completely butchered the culture and programs of a once amazing organization. If you do join this organization do so with extreme caution.
Pros
Clients served
Cons
Too many to list
Great
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 20, 2015
This is a very family oriented and friendly environment. I enjoy working for this company. The management is great and the company as a whole has now taken on a new view of the workplace called Sanctuary where everyone from the top of the company to the management to the employees creates a better understanding of how you feel about your work environment. It is a safe place and I love it there.
Cons
Part-Time gets no benefits
At work, feel that I am More energetic, happier and More helpful to others
Receptionist I LOVE IT (Former Employee) –  10921 INWOOD AVE.SILVER SPRING MD 10920April 5, 2016
A typical day for the job I do at Inwood house as a receptionist would be answering phones opening doors for guests and some residents. Forwarding some calls to individual staff answering machines, greeting visitors, residents and responding to residents needs or helping them fill out maintenance sheet. Some days are very quiet other days Pretty busy. overall I enjoy being helpful and I also enjoy the feedback from visitors as well as understanding residents.
I've learned so much for my volunteering in Inwood :-)
I've learned how to deal with people and be more compassionate to their needs.
I've learned to speak in the phone and with people with a certain tone that allow people to understand me better. I've learned to tolerate people when they have a bad day :-(
I have become a better communicator and listener to others.
I manage whatever I am authorized to do in the office. I manage to solve some individual residents misunderstanding are misinformed about an issue either from the staff or other residents.I get a alone with other people I particularly love the Inwood staff :-)
The hardest part of the job for me is one I cannot do things such as signing for packages that comes in for residents such as medication and important items. Because I am a volunteer I am not able to help as much as I would like to.
The part that I love about this job, is that people complement me abot how happy they are to see me smiling, the most important thing that makes me happy is that I know I am making a difference in being a good volunteer and friend to most of the residents.
Pros
TIME FOR LUNCH
Cons
NEED TO BE ABLE TO SIT
Fun, rewarding, dedication
Safety & Security Administrator (Current Employee) –  80 Maiden Lane, Suite 1504 New York, NY 10038July 6, 2014
I work with children, it is very rewarding and uplifting. I have learned a lot with the Inwood House organization. I've been taught group management skills to effectively implement activities to school age children and I've also gain leadership skill's that allowed me to effectively run my own after school site in multiple school's in the bronx. The hardest part of my job at times would be to counsel line staff, in difficult situations. The most enjoyable part of my Job is working with children.
Hepling Teens take charge of their lives
Assistant Social Worker/Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New york NYJuly 6, 2013
As an Assist Social Worker I assisted Teens apply for Housing, register them in school, go to court with them. I also assisted in apartment hunting help them get ready for Section 8 interview. Once they obtained the voucher helped them find an apartment

I learend everything about Case Management, I got along well with co-workers. The hardest part of my job was calling in a case to ACS when needed.

the most enjoyable part of my job when they moved out into there own apartment
Pros
the covered all medical
Cons
new administration
Can have longevity
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 30, 2012
Inwood House was a very fun place to work. I met alot of good people throughout the years that I was employed with them.I learned how to really become the best at customer service and fine tuning my ability to deal with stresseful situations in a professional manner. As a non profit mamngemnet was always changing, but that was because they were trying their best to make things less complicated and more structured. The hardest part of my job was dealing with clients and having to deliver bad news that would effect their lives. The most enjoyable part was working with my co workers and servicing my clients. They were truly grateful to my hard work.
Pros
time off
Cons
lack of commuication
Great mission and focus
MANAGER BUDGET AND FINANICAL ANALYSIS (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2012
The management has no vision for tomorrow. The most enjoyable part of the job is the clients and seeing the young people grow and become self reliant. The hardest part of the job is management. The co-workers work well together and support the mission. I learned the client is not the main focus of the organization and it's top heavy and management is over paid when the line staff is not appreciated.
The WORSE agency ever!!!!
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2013
I hated my time at this agency. My program in particular was ran by very unprofessional and vindicative management. My program director introduced herself at a staff meeting and went on to inform the staff that she was "going to get rid of all of us and get people she knows to come and work with her". She was later fired because she was totally unqualified to supervise anyone besides a toy poodle.
Very comfortable, yet professional environment.
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 19, 2012
I really enjoy working with Inwood House. I work with an afterschool program, and although I love to be around the students, the overall culture of the office is quite unique compared to other establishments in which I have been employed. I have developed from an immature youth worker into a professional advocate for youth development.
Underpaid and not supported position
Former residential staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2012
This position is underpaid and has no programmatic support. You will be caring for six infants/toddlers with little staff and supplies. The space is small and there is not adequate equipment. As previous reviewer stated that organization is heavy in management and administration and little pay and support for front line workers.
Mission to help teens take charge of their lives
L.P.N./Medical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2012
Speaking with the youth and teaching them about their bodies, helping them make decisions that will enhance their well being. Providing them with the tools to make sound medical choices for themselves and their children.
Answering question about the changes their bodies are going through and making healthier choices in food during pregnancy.
I've alearned what may work for one may not be the best for another providing a human with choices can be the difference between being ally or a foe.
I respect and admire most of my colleagues a close net working environment that makes transitions smoother.
Watching a young lady bond with her baby after being scared and frustrated for months. Down side not being able to reach all the girls.
Pros
working with this population.
Cons
low wages, insurance package could be better
A frustrating place to work
Fundraising (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 15, 2013
The organization has a great mission but it fails to reach its potential due to Senior Leadership issues. Many line staff are dedicated but lack education and leadership skills. Development staff are churned through on average every 12-14 months. Much attention is placed on PR but not nearly enough on results.
Staff, office location was in transition
Manager of External Affairs - Interim (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2014
I came into a period with great turnover in department and senior management. It affected my job status, as I became an incumbent who was removed in the department restructure.
Pros
friendly, knowledgable staff
Cons
shaky senior management
Great Concept!
Senior Educator/Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 17, 2014
The program mission was to get the students involved in community outreach early while strengthening their overall academic skills.
Not very friendly atmosphere and people do not work together.
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  NY, NYMay 29, 2014
Staff is very much to themselves and it is very difficult to communicate and to work together.
Teen Choice
Teen Choice (Former Employee) –  new yorkNovember 22, 2013
Leadership(Director) was difficult to work with for the past few years.Does not know how to treat personnel with respect and dignity.
Quality Assurance at Inwood
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2013
I love my position because I have a very autonomous role. My supervisor does not micromanage me.
hectic
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 7, 2014
to much work for minimal employees. Expectation are high without proper support.
Pros
new partnerships
Cons
lo
great
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  NYOctober 8, 2013
Enjoy working with the young teenage mother and helping assist with their toddlers.

2.9