Iowa Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Learned alot for one summer
Intern (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAMay 2, 2016
I interned for the Iowa DOT in the summer of 2015 in the resident construction office. It was a great place to work and learn about civil engineering projects. Everyone was helpful and informative whenever I had a question about construction techniques.
Everyday is different.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  IowaNovember 10, 2015
I like the comp time option. Hours vary a lot during the winter months depending on the inclement weather. Get to work outside.
It is a very team type place to work
Traffic Incident Manager (TIM) (Current Employee) –  ames IowaAugust 10, 2015
I enjoy working for the DOT. I am working with First Responders to educate them how to be safe at the scene of an incident. I review incidents on the Highways and setup After Action Reports. With the After Action Reports we take them and gather all parties together and talk about what worked what didnt etc.
Pros
Is just as I said it is a Team
Cons
Like anyother job all the legal hoops to go through
Managment needs fixed
Clerk Senior (Current Employee) –  AnkenyJanuary 27, 2015
Overall the job is great I love my job but I would really like to see them fix management. It has been said they are working on that but after 7 years of no change it's time to look somewhere else
Pros
the people that you work with
Cons
managment
one of my first jobs out of high school
Survey Crew and Inspector (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, IAAugust 25, 2014
learned how the transportation system worked. Meaning from surveying new roadways to inspecting seeding project after roadway is about to be opened to public.
fun place
DOT Driver (Former Employee) –  Marion, IAMarch 6, 2014
Its great when you have stability and your in, but if you don't have a certain cdl or endorsements your not going to get in and the people that interview you some are act like they don't even want to be there unless they know you. But its stable and the work is easy, but just long days and winters.
Pros
Great job, good people
Cons
communication and if you have a side job, don't let it get in the way of your employment there.
Fun
Clerical/filing (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 20, 2012
I worked 2nd shift in an office with a lot of nice people answering phones and finding the best deal for those people wanting to fly to there destination.
Pros
traveling was fun and inexpensive
Cons
living far away from family.
Slow boring job with poor upper managment
Contract Programmer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 30, 2011
Only worked on one project there, and that's the only project that any contract programmer was working on for the past 3 years and it still wasn't close to finished when I left.
Work load is minimal and you have to beg to get more assignments. The office environment is very plain and unexciting.
Salaries are one sided as well, being a government job all staff salaries are public. PM and managers make 2-3x more than a full time programmer and they do half the work.
Pros
catch up on youtube/hulu
Cons
bad project managment, unexciting program

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3