Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Flexible work hours for students but management is iffy
student worker (Former Employee) –  Memorial Union, Bookstore, College of LASApril 25, 2017
Many of the places that employ students at Iowa State University are a good opportunity to gain work experience, but I wouldn't suggest making a career at some of the places I've worked there. They have wonderfully flexible hours for students, but sometimes because of turnover rates the management is a nightmare.
Pros
student benefits
Cons
low pay, low hours, little sympathy with illness
Great institute with excellent academic program
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 16, 2017
I really like the academic and research atmosphere in Department of Animal Science. There are two excellent seminars each week given by the departmental colleagues or invited speaker from other prestigious institutes. In addition, each lab has intensive collaboration with other labs or institute. So everyone is willing to help partners or colleagues, and is willing to share information and knowledge without much pressure from internal competition.
Nice and easy work
Food Preparation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 14, 2017
As long as you can deal with the super early mornings, it is a great way to make easy money while also going to school. It is all manual labor that is easy to get the hang of.
fun place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 5, 2017
A small place located in Ames, IA. It is inside the Iowa state university. Have been worked there for two years.
nice people to work with
learn lot of useful technique
Friendly culture
Fine
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 28, 2017
Good curriculum. Fine place to be a student. This should not be required to be reviewed. I still have to type because there is some rule that is forcing me to.
Productive, positive, performance-driven workplace
Positive Student Course Evaluations (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 27, 2017
Iowa State University is a great institution to work for, and it offers various opportunities for expansion of experience, both practical and scholarly.
An excellent place to gain teaching experience.
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaMarch 24, 2017
When I taught there the writing part of the English Department was not well run. It has improved since then and no there is a Chair of writing who offers a lot of support.
Pros
An excellent university.
Cons
Pays little.
I liked working as a tutor. I gave me happiness to help others with their course.
Mathematics Tutor and Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 8, 2017
The work environment at Iowa State Univ is perfect to grow, experience different cultures and learn new things each day even as a teacher. The students were supportive and genuine and so was the Graduate office officials that hired me.
Fun work environment
Department of Athletics-Softball Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 28, 2017
I would go to softball practice as my work day. I would field balls for batting practice, feed balls into the pitching machines, and help the set up and tear down of practice. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the athletes and becoming friends with them.
Decent
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 28, 2017
I enjoy being able to work with students. Professors are usually careful to not overwork TA's. Working in the Help Room is sometimes stressful if you have a lot of homework, but otherwise is not too bad.
Moderate work for a descent stipend while in graduate school
Geology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 19, 2017
Iowa State's GEAT department is a good department to be enrolled for graduate studies. The teaching assistant position requires an average of 15-20 hrs per/week with a consistent monthly stipend and no need to log hours worked.
Pros
Besides in class or lab hours, you are free to work on your own time, Free health insurance while being on a teaching assistant contract.
decent company to work for
System Analyst (Graduate Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 8, 2017
nothing new to work on, routine job
there were not many dead lines to meet so not much pressure
nothing much to learn

because of the remote location not many opportunities around
Pleasantly Surprised
Instructional Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 3, 2017
I can't speak for every department, but with my experience int he unit I work in I am left with the impression that the school cares for it's employees.
Okay place
Police Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2017
Iowa State University is a great place for benefits. management is a different stor. They are all for themselves and not for the employee, unless they are waited on hand and foot.
Benefits
Great Easy Job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 29, 2017
If you can get in with a teacher to be a teaching assistant, do it immediately. It has great pay, but I should probably temper that with it depends on the department you are working under. But besides that it allows you to develop a contact with your professor outside of the traditional student teacher paradigm. This is helpful when looking for people to put as refren
Cons
Nice lab and research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 17, 2017
They provide good equipment for labs, and very nice professors and advisers to give you good guidance on research and course works. I also have many smart and talented colleagues to work with.
Fun place with many nice colleague
Teaching Assistant of Chinese 201 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 12, 2017
the manager is very nice
the workplace is clean and comfortable
the work time is adjustable for anyone
the application for the job is very easy
Pros
one free meal a day
Cons
no cons
Iowa State
Undergraduate Research Assistant Internship (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 11, 2017
Good school to attend a typical day of what i did at my research experience, was i would synthesize various soybean based polymers and dry them overnight
It is a good institution to work for
Intructor/ Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 11, 2017
I will say that Iowa State can be a great place for someone who wants a new start. In addition, campus is really nice and there are many opportunities for all professional to develop their skills.
Quit my PhD
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 6, 2017
I felt my professor overworked me and did not provide enough guidance on my research. The people within the research group were extremely bright and engaged in their research.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4