Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Great place for undergraduate students
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 21, 2017
The pay for undergraduate students is fair. Supervisors are extremely accommodating of the students' schedules regarding classes and extracurricular activities.
A college job
Student Employee, Union Drive Marketplace (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 13, 2017
A simple college job working at the dining hall. They work with you on class scheduling, but no so much on night tests. Some days are very busy, and others not so much. Special dining nights were always very busy and very challenging.
Good College Student Job
ISU Catering Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 11, 2017
Overall it is a great place to work. I am a student and the jobs I worked were only available to students. They worked really well to make my work schedule around my class schedule. Iowa State University policy is that you are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours when school is in session. Some of the managers could be very strict but for the most part they were all really nice and easy to work with and really helped me succeed in the position.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short or no breaks
Research Assistant
Research Assistant on GPU parallel computing (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 9, 2017
Research Assistant on GPU parallel computing
• Researched on high performance and large scale parallel computation using GPU with CUDA programming
• Applied the GPU computation into high energy physics; performed parallel computation and memory access optimization to increase overall runtime efficiency
Iowa State not all that great
Senior Awards Manager (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 1, 2017
Iowa State is a real laggard when it comes to being in the 21st century. There are a lot of positives about university life. At ISU the colleagues are wonderful, but the overall institution is an underperformer.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 22, 2017
I love being able to work with people and help in any way I can. I have worked under many teachers in the agronomy department and I appreciate the opportunities that have been given to me.
this was my first real job so...
Custodial Crew (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 20, 2017
In retrospect, the company and my co-workers were great. I just was too naive to understand fully my responsibilities. The hours were pretty bad, for a college student, as I was out until 1 or 2 in the morning on some shifts. Other shifts were 15+ hours. We sometimes got free food; I remember being a favorite among one of the football game custodians and he had us come up to the press box for every half time to enjoy a nice break with a buffet of food and desserts. My co-workers were fun and though it took me a bit to open up, I grew to feel comfortable around them.
Pros
cool experience, learned a lot of cleaning skills, good pay
Cons
long or late hours, super strict policies
Excelent
Cyclon Life Blogger (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 11, 2017
Is a very nice university, its green areas, the people are friendly, the programs and the laboratories are very complete, I was almost 6 years and it was like in my house, and just as I was very safe and protected
It's a university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 31, 2017
It's for sure publish or perish. But if you are interested in academia there is no better place. Because it is an R1 university it affords a lot of different opportunities
Great
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 25, 2017
Very good educational experience and ambience to learn. It has repertoire of various resources such as the library, excellent staff, great campus and people
Great benefits, not so good communication
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 18, 2017
Position was terminated in 5 months. Received a good review in month 4 and was fired in month 5 without a real reason or explanation. Was not trained very well and then was expected to know how to do things I hadn't been shown.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers were friendly
Cons
Management, cliques, Communication
Lovely Place to Work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 17, 2017
If I could have a full time job there, I would accept it without second thought. The best is expected and hard work is always rewarded. The lab is always busy and in motion, but always giving enough time for a short break.
Peaceful place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 11, 2017
ISU is a safe and friendly place to work. The salary might not be high compared to other industrial company. However, considering the location, Ames, which is a low-costing, the salary is usually enough for a decent life.
ISU in transition
Laboratory Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 10, 2017
The ISU campus is in a time of transition, with many of the top university officials finding jobs at other institutions. The culture has the potential to improve, but will take a few years and new vision from a new president.
Pros
People are nice and well intended.
Cons
Traditional cultural values keep Iowa from accepting the flux of immigrant populations.
Iowa State University
LAB MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Ames iowaJuly 7, 2017
Iowa State University has a lot of opportunities, but working for a state school is usually a dead end job unless you're on a tenure track or other promotable position.
Fun learning environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 29, 2017
Academia is competetive but people who are open to learning will advance. ISU is a community of enthusiastic people. A lot is expected of you, a 40 hour week would be considered slacking.
Great place to work!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 22, 2017
As a research assistant, you have good flexibility of working 20 hours per week. The job work/life balance is great! And I love the job culture here at ISU!
Friendly proferssors with ample opportunites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2017
Teaching assistant position at ISU is a challenge to find but if you look at the right place it is possible. Professors are friendly and helping to make the job easier.
Unpaid for Research Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 20, 2017
Tough to review anything for pay when I volunteered for simply for experience. I performed research for 2 years, and was never treated unfairly. I was told to focus on my school work first, and never struggled to manage both research and life. It was rather easy-going.
Pros
Experience
Fun Place to work while going to school
Technical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 19, 2017
I worked as a technical research assistant for the Entomology Department at Iowa State University.
It was hard physical work, but still enjoyable.
I liked the people I worked with. My manager although a little rough around the edges, was a nice guy to work for.
Pros
Fun Place to work
Cons
Maybe could pay more for how hard we strain our bodies