Iowa State University

Iowa State University Employer Reviews

Iowa State University-Pilot Plant
Pilot Plant Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Good Hours, Above-average hourly wage, good technical training.
Cons: N/A
The Pilot Plant is located in the Food Science Building at Iowa State University. Typical Responsibilities of the job include:
 Assist student and outside company food processing projects within the ISU Pilot Plant.
 Work with plant supervisor to oversee and advise the various projects using the food processing equipment.
 Maintain a sanitary environment within the Pilot Plant.

The Pilot Plant is a good work experience and preparation for what an actual food production/ manufacturing job, because it involves working with various food manufacturing projects and machinery.
A memorable experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 18, 2015
Good, work involves mostly grading and assisting students in the Lab. Usually there are two courses which needs to be taught and a lab section.
Have a lot of patience while at work, grade carefully, the hardest part of the job is to distinguish between two students while grading.
Explain difficult concepts with simplicity is the most enjoyable part
Good work culture
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 8, 2015
Lots of majors and students in ISU. Co-workers are friendly. Lots of challenge and interesting task everyday. I have been learned lots of useful skills here.
Great place to work. Dedicated employees, nice customers.
Undergraduate Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAMarch 8, 2015
Start the class off going over what we would be doing in lab. Go over safety requirements. Aid the students when needed. Repair broken machines. Teach students different techniques. Coworkers were great. Easy to get along with and helped me learn a lot. Hardest but most enjoyable part is finding out which way each student likes to be taught.
Great university
Animal Caretaker - Part Time (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 24, 2015
My beginnings with Iowa State University were directed towards the Animal Science field. This path was later changed because of other experiences I took part of, but it definitely gave me all the necessary research skills I posses today. These skills are very beneficial for the social science field and all the research efforts behind it.
Nice people and very good environment to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 20, 2015
The co-workers here all work very hard and the faculties respond to email very fast and are actively involved in research and teaching.
Great Student Job
Laboratory Technician I (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 9, 2015
Worked here while in High School. Flexible hours, not too strenuous, I got a lot of great experience, and learned that I didn't really like science.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Waiter (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 7, 2015
I could serve my customer well and offer a clean and delicious deli for them.
I enjoy the time working with my co-worker. We could wash dishes together and also making deli together.
Relaxed workplace
Undergraduate Supply Chain Consultant (Current Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 5, 2015
Flexible hours
Great people
Able to work individually and in teams
Work with many different companies
Able to expand network
Intense Work Place
Assistant Recruiting Coordinator - Football (Former Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 21, 2015
100-120+ hours/week

A typical day entailed answering phone calls and emails. These emails/phone calls typically came from recruits, the parents and coaches of recruits, and a number of university employees. On a daily basis, I also managed a group of 20-25 students, including graphic designers. I delegated tasks for the students to perform and organized their use for the events that I planned.

I worked under 2 supervisors. One was my primary supervisor and in charge of the recruiting department; the other was a supervisor of the entire staff, with the exception of coaches.

I worked closely with another recruiting coordinator along with the students I managed.

The most difficult part of this job were the hours. Working upwards of 120 hours a week is daunting. There was little time left for anything else in life.

The part I enjoyed the most about this job - working with people. Plain and simple. Every week I met a multitude of people from varying backgrounds. It was such a joy to introduce them to Iowa State University and show them our facilities. Making sure they were happy, made me happy.
its fun
VOLUNTEER PARKING (Former Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 16, 2015
i always to to learn fast and get the work done help others and bea great team player.
A valuable research internship
Lab Assistant Internship (Former Employee), Ames, IAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: first internship, exposure to lab setting
This particular job experience was a summer internship at Iowa State University. I was chosen to intern in the Chemistry Dept. conducting research on nano-particles my junior and senior year in high school. A normal day consisted of me reviewing data from the previous days experiments. After that I primed my station for the days experiments, conducted them, and recorded the data until the end of the work day. I worked with current undergraduate and graduate students in the lab. They assisted me in in conducting my experiments and at the end of the internship our data was presented to various professors at Iowa State University. This was a valuable experience and learning opportunity. At the end of program I was offered to return the following summer.
Nice PT job for student
Iowa State Foundation (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 17, 2014
Nice job for students, worked around class schedule, lots of phone calls
typical graduate life
Graduate Research Asistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAOctober 8, 2014
casual work environment
winter/summer vacations
interesting research topics
A good university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IASeptember 17, 2014
Wide range of courses to choose from and reachable professors.
Supportive work environment with fun co workers
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IASeptember 5, 2014
I keep up the calendar for the office and do many small tasks for the office on a daily basis. I also do a lot of large projects to help students throughout the year. I am able to talk to my co workers about anything and they are very supportive of anything I have to do to get a new career. The hardest part of the job is balancing many tasks at once but it can be done. The thing I like the best is being organized and meeting new friends.
good place for a graduate student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IASeptember 2, 2014
Great place to be as a graduate student if you get a good major professor
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Ames, IAAugust 13, 2014
This is my dream job. It is a challenging, busy place with fun co-workers
Great college job
Tutor (Former Employee), Ames, IAAugust 9, 2014
You set your own schedule and still get paid some money if no one shows up.
productive and fun place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IowaAugust 6, 2014
productive and fun place to work.

Enjoyed interaction with colleagues.

1 2 3 4 5