Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Exciting role mentoring youth
Head Men's Golf Coach (Former Employee), Ames, IAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Travel, benefits
Cons: restrictions and rules with NCAA
Was able to enter the world of college athletics as a golf coach. had spent my life as a player and given the opportunity to pass along knowledge to others.

Responsible for all activities and management of golf team. Recruiting, staffing, budget, travel, scheduling. I learned how to run an entire operation from top to bottom.

Was given freedom to work on my own, with direct reports to senior staff, however constant staff changes throughout my tenure.

Hardest part of job is basing your living on the actions and decisions of 18-22 year old kids. Most enjoyable was the travel and seeing young men develop into adults.
Eh
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IowaJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Nice campus
Cons: Everything else
Beautiful campus, low cost of living, nice weather (if you ignore winter). However, I am not a huge fan of my experience as I felt that the politics was out of control. But you know, academia! There are good people there.
This is Where I Got A Chance to Fly...
Admissions Counselor, Multicultural Recruiter (Former Employee), Ames, IAJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Diversity and Inclusion, Student Life, Challenging, Flexibiltiy, Growth
Cons: Small town feel, Diversity and Inclusion
I began here as a pup and got a chance to grow...I was given opportunities that changed my view of myself and how I saw the outside world. It did not have the big city feel but it made me feel at home. It became home for several years and I still brag about ISU!!
Manager / Head Photographer, ISU Photo Service (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: none
Iowa State was a great place to work! I was allowed great freedom to move Photo Service from an antiquated thinking unit and unfulfilled staff to a high tech new technologies unit with a happy, motivated cross trained staff.
Great place for student employment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 29, 2015
Pros: Decent pay for students, flexible work schedule
I was a student employee so I didn't get much in the way of advancement or job security, but my supervisors were incredibly nice and really flexible with work/class scheduling, and I got paid more than minimum wage so that's a plus!
graduate school
Graduate research associate (Current Employee), Ames, IaJune 10, 2015
Pros: beautiful campus
Cons: bird droppings on the sidewalk. At times, you can't see the concrete.
ISU offers many opportunities. My experience of the learning environment has been fine. Sometimes, limitations have occurred in defunct instrumentation or lack of funds. But these problems are ubiquitous to academia. For the most part, I learned a lot and have worked hard. These results are likely common to most institutions offering graduate degrees.
Horticulture Department
Consumer office assistant (Former Employee), ames, iowaJune 4, 2015
Develop and design flyers, business cards and booth for events to promote the Master Gardener Program of Iowa.
Interface professionally with all levels of staff and students
Successful as independent worker
Worked in the Master Gardeners Program of Iowa
Translator for Publications and videos in Spanish
Data entry and organization
Working environment
Food Service Worker and Exam Proctor (Former Employee), Ames, IAJune 1, 2015
Pros: Free meals
Cons: Lifting heavy things
Prepare meals for the morning shift and set up the dining area. If in the afternoon, typically during lunch time is one of the harder as it gets busy and required to stay on top with orders so the food line doesn't get backed up. Depending on the the time of day and if it's opening or closing, co-wokers are usually on point in their assigned task. The hardest part was lifting heavy objects (taking out the trash in huge bins, carrying bottles, boxes of milk cartons) in the grocery store and putting them into shelves.
Interesting work, dreary cubical labyrinth
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Ames, IAMay 26, 2015
I don't work on campus like most other employees, so my experience of ISU is pretty different from many other people. I'm also not a fanatical Cyclones fan, so I view ISU more as a job than a cult. Overall great though, most people are very down to earth and friendly.
Good one-on-one experiences.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee), Ames, IAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours.
Cons: Not much demand for my particular classes.
Since tutoring mostly involves me (the tutor) working one-on-one with the student, not much management supervision was necessary. I also became much better at communicating one-on-one with the students and became more patient. The toughest part of the job was writing my own lesson plans as well as exercises for the students. The most enjoyable part was hearing about the success or improvement in the students' academics as a result of my supplemental teaching.
Went to school
Activities and Volunteering (Current Employee), IowaMay 12, 2015
It is a great school, I am learning a lot. Great learning environment and campus. The people are very friendly. It is not a company.
Very friendly and intellectual environment
Laboratory Assistant II (Current Employee), Ames, IAMay 4, 2015
I work in a very fast paced environment. I enhanced my time-management, multitasking and teamwork skills. My coworkers are very friendly and social, which is the most most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part is to work at a low salary. Therefore, I am looking for a better job.
Great colleagues, awful management
Instructor (Former Employee), IowaApril 26, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, coworkers, subject matter
Cons: Bureaucratic red tape, dysfunctional management, long hours for low pay
A typical day at work involved multiple tasks= phone and email communications, meetings, instructional development and delivery, and in general, putting in long hours: evenings and weekends are common. Learned a lot about operations in higher education, curricula development, interacting with diverse populations.

Co-workers were great, supportive and positive, felt like a family. Management on the other hand, was abysmal. Poor-to-no communication skills, little respect given to anyone without a doctorate degree, tends to assign more responsibilities than stated in contract and be dismissive when brought to their attention.

Hardest part of job= insecurity of the position. Non-tenure track instructors are at high risk of having hours and pay reduced or of losing entire position on very short notice. Most enjoyable part of job= working in a field of interest with multiple opportunities for research and practical application, with enjoyable coworkers and students.
Awesome place to work. It is like working with a huge family.
Referee/Supervisor (Current Employee), Ames, IAApril 21, 2015
A typical day includes refereeing one or more of the intramural sports offered through the Iowa State Recreational Services. You learn team-building skills, personal relationship skills, and leadership skills by working with other referees and supervisors.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ames, IAApril 14, 2015
Good place to study and work. Peace and quiet. Good professors and coworkers. Nice students too. This is not really a working position, it is just a teaching assistant experience.
Great place to go to school
Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (Current Employee), Ames, IAApril 11, 2015
Iowa State University is an excellent place to live and go to school. I have been able to grow both academically and personally. Additionally, the ROTC program has really stretched my leadership abilities in new ways.
Thesis research about Black Aspergilli in maize kernels
Internship (Former Employee), Ames, IAApril 8, 2015
The aim of the research is to characterize the fungal population associated to maize grown in Iowa and Kentucky, with focus on the composition of Black Aspergilli, in order to understand the incidence of this genus in maize kernels and their potential contribute in fumonisin contamination.
During this internship, I carried out bench work such as culture fungi, plating, enumeration, DNA extraction, PCR, fungi identification.
ISU
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAApril 4, 2015
A great institution and a fantastic place for students to grow personally, academically, and professionally with their peers.
Iowa State University-Pilot Plant
Pilot Plant Assistant (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Good Hours, Above-average hourly wage, good technical training.
Cons: N/A
The Pilot Plant is located in the Food Science Building at Iowa State University. Typical Responsibilities of the job include:
 Assist student and outside company food processing projects within the ISU Pilot Plant.
 Work with plant supervisor to oversee and advise the various projects using the food processing equipment.
 Maintain a sanitary environment within the Pilot Plant.

The Pilot Plant is a good work experience and preparation for what an actual food production/ manufacturing job, because it involves working with various food manufacturing projects and machinery.
A memorable experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee), Ames, IAMarch 18, 2015
Good, work involves mostly grading and assisting students in the Lab. Usually there are two courses which needs to be taught and a lab section.
Have a lot of patience while at work, grade carefully, the hardest part of the job is to distinguish between two students while grading.
Explain difficult concepts with simplicity is the most enjoyable part