Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Productive Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 24, 2016
I work as a Graduate Research Assistant and I feel that it is an awesome university with a lot lot of talented and friendly faculties and I am happy to be a part of the institution.
freedom with a twist
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 8, 2016
As a graduate student at Iowa State, you're allowed (sometimes even encouraged) to pursue your own line of research, and you can set your own hours. Some advisors are more hands-off, while others micromanage the smallest lab tasks. Most students have difficulty balancing work and life due to a very high work load, with life generally getting the short end of the stick.
Pros
creative freedom, flexible schedules
Cons
high work load
Good work for student
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 7, 2016
Come when you please, do the work and go. Work schedule is easier worked around classes. easy work for a student. Cleaned up after lab work.
smell
Cons
to go as you please
good working place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 24, 2016
My typical work day was deriving formulations, algorithm implementation, coding and debugging. I like Iowa State University where I had quiet working space and nice co-works
Fun and Educational at the same time
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 22, 2016
I've worked as a Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa State University for the past 1.5 years and it was nothing but a splendid experience which gave me an opportunity to think outside the box and sharpen my time management skills along with team work and problem solving. I was introduced and became very passionate about Data Analytics and related fields during my tenure and this helped me gain much more knowledge than I would have from classroom alone.
Pros
Tuition Fee reduction
Cons
Sometimes we have to put the research work before our academics
Enjoyable place and sweet memories.
Instructor for ArtGR275, ArtGR276 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 20, 2016
Iowa State University is a really nice place to learn, work, and live.
During the first two years when I worked there, I was preparing professors' lectures, answering students' concerns, and grading. During the last year, I stood alone to teach two 200 level courses for two semesters, respectively.

The most enjoyable part of working there is the enjoyable physical environment and all my nice graduate colleagues. We learn and work together. We discuss, share, and exchange ideas.

The most hardest part is learning how to keep balance between my own courses and my work.
A great learning experience
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 2, 2016
I developed my passion for teaching, and learned a lot about successful techniques to perform well in this field.
Very productive and learning
Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 24, 2016
Very good work environment. Everything taken care of. The most skillful and managerial experience with teaching students and communicating with them to clear any doubts.
Pros
Fee waiver, health insurance, etc
Cons
NA
Great environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 15, 2016
Very great work environment. Every one is so nice and helpful. The supervisor is always encouraging. The professors there are have great work ethics.
It was excellent.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 12, 2016
I never experienced such a positive enthusiasm than anywhere else. Everyone were so helpful and so supportive. Overall, It was excellent.

Want to know more about Iowa State University?

Ask a question
i was just an undergrad assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 11, 2016
I don't feel comfortable writing a formal review of an employer whom i was not employed full time for.
Student Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2016
I worked as a student at ISU on a part time basis. I really enjoyed the culture and people within the university. Overall a very friendly atmosphere.
Great learning environment
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 9, 2016
Working at the department of residence has been a great experience. I had the privilege of working with amazing staff members. Everyday, I interacted with residents and helped them succeed at Iowa State. I managed the hall desk and made sure everything was working smoothly. The hardest part of the job was the timing of everything. There were many things that needed to be done before major events. I advised a student led house cabinet but it was tough to motivate them to get ideas flowing. Overall, it was a good learning experience and I have grown a lot through the position.
great work experience for a student
Worked up to team lead (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 1, 2016
A great job for a student at Iowa State. Flexible hours that work around class times, and valuable job experience. A great workplace for students, and a good way to make friends.
A nice place to study and concentrate on research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I've been studying aerospace engineering in Iowa State University for two years. My research was focusing on aerodynamics optimization. This period has been a challenging experience for me. We had a great group and solved a lot interesting cases. I've attended two international conferences and presented my papers.
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I worked as Graduate Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant. I assume the work is very dependent on who you work with/for and not very university dependent.
Great place to work, with very laid back atmosohere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAMay 18, 2016
Able to work on my own, critical think on my own, was able to ask the boss a question when conducting an activity. was able to work at my own pace.
Stressful but rewarding
Community Adviser (RA) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 17, 2016
Can be a great job or bad job depending on your hall director and your on-call hours.
Ample opportunities to make a positive impact on students and learn new skills.
Pros
Free Housing, work where you live, see a positive impact in your community
Cons
Potential for extreme amounts of unpaid work.
research assistant
Volunteer Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 12, 2016
Typical laboratory procedures and analytical techniques
Perform Radioactivity material experiments
Work both independently and collaboratively and maintain regular duties such as ordering and purchasing drug and other supplies, ensuring waste disposal including sharp or biohazard waste, maintaining equipment, and educating students to learn lab skills and safety standards
Positive, relaxed enviroment with easy to work with staff
Front Desk Attendent (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
I managed the front desk at a Iowa State University building. On a typical day, I answered phone calls and student inquiries.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4