Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Fun and Educational at the same time
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 22, 2016
I've worked as a Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa State University for the past 1.5 years and it was nothing but a splendid experience which gave me an opportunity to think outside the box and sharpen my time management skills along with team work and problem solving. I was introduced and became very passionate about Data Analytics and related fields during my tenure and this helped me gain much more knowledge than I would have from classroom alone.
Pros
Tuition Fee reduction
Cons
Sometimes we have to put the research work before our academics
Great place to work, if you work in the right place
Communications (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 27, 2016
I love working at ISU, but it's definitely a place where you have to work for the right supervisor and/or in the right area. It's a decentralized university so employees in different areas may have vastly different experiences. I've worked for some of the best leaders on campus and some of the worst.

But the benefits are great even if the pay isn't what it should be, and the gratification you get from working there means a lot.
Great benefits, risk adverse
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 1, 2016
Benefits are great and pay varies depending on role. Leadership is comprised of PhD's who are sometimes difficult to work. Easily the smartest group of people I've ever worked with, but not too comfortable thinking creatively, strategically or 'outside the box'. The 'silo' stereotype is pretty accurate as people generally do not communicate well.
An interesting place to work
Installation and Removal attendant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 13, 2016
Working at Iowa state university has been really an eye-opening experience, I learned a lot.
The management is very understanding of the students ability to put school first.
Enjoyable place and sweet memories.
Instructor for ArtGR275, ArtGR276 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 20, 2016
Iowa State University is a really nice place to learn, work, and live.
During the first two years when I worked there, I was preparing professors' lectures, answering students' concerns, and grading. During the last year, I stood alone to teach two 200 level courses for two semesters, respectively.

The most enjoyable part of working there is the enjoyable physical environment and all my nice graduate colleagues. We learn and work together. We discuss, share, and exchange ideas.

The most hardest part is learning how to keep balance between my own courses and my work.
Fun introduction to strength and conditioning
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 14, 2016
This internship was a great introduction for me into the strength and conditioning world. I was able to learn the very basics of set-up, clean-up, exercises and organizational techniques. I worked with softball, gymnastics, soccer, volleyball, and golf while observing coaching styles and the flow of the weight room.
freedom with a twist
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 8, 2016
As a graduate student at Iowa State, you're allowed (sometimes even encouraged) to pursue your own line of research, and you can set your own hours. Some advisors are more hands-off, while others micromanage the smallest lab tasks. Most students have difficulty balancing work and life due to a very high work load, with life generally getting the short end of the stick.
Pros
creative freedom, flexible schedules
Cons
high work load
Intense research with flexible hours
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 29, 2016
Each day I would run through given experiments and make changes to optimize results. Some would take many hours but I was able to work on my own time. I learned how to operate lab equipment, use tools, and develop experiments.
Pros
relaxed time frame, great learning experience
Cons
Intense boss
It is a good institution to work for
Intructor/ Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 11, 2017
I will say that Iowa State can be a great place for someone who wants a new start. In addition, campus is really nice and there are many opportunities for all professional to develop their skills.
Nice lab and research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 17, 2017
They provide good equipment for labs, and very nice professors and advisers to give you good guidance on research and course works. I also have many smart and talented colleagues to work with.
Fun place with many nice colleague
Teaching Assistant of Chinese 201 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 12, 2017
the manager is very nice
the workplace is clean and comfortable
the work time is adjustable for anyone
the application for the job is very easy
Pros
one free meal a day
Cons
no cons
Great learning environment
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 9, 2016
Working at the department of residence has been a great experience. I had the privilege of working with amazing staff members. Everyday, I interacted with residents and helped them succeed at Iowa State. I managed the hall desk and made sure everything was working smoothly. The hardest part of the job was the timing of everything. There were many things that needed to be done before major events. I advised a student led house cabinet but it was tough to motivate them to get ideas flowing. Overall, it was a good learning experience and I have grown a lot through the position.
Student Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2016
I worked as a student at ISU on a part time basis. I really enjoyed the culture and people within the university. Overall a very friendly atmosphere.
Five star
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 19, 2016
Pursuing my PhD here. I learnt a lot in classes, and also seminars.
And the most important part is, the research atmosphere is very good. Most professors and students are very glad to offer help.
Quit my PhD
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 6, 2017
I felt my professor overworked me and did not provide enough guidance on my research. The people within the research group were extremely bright and engaged in their research.
Iowa State
Undergraduate Research Assistant Internship (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 11, 2017
Good school to attend a typical day of what i did at my research experience, was i would synthesize various soybean based polymers and dry them overnight
Very fun teacher and coworkers
Undergraduate Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 7, 2016
Help students understand lessons taught in class and correlating them to the shop. Use lathes and mills to teach students GCode and how to use manually.
Productive Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 24, 2016
I work as a Graduate Research Assistant and I feel that it is an awesome university with a lot lot of talented and friendly faculties and I am happy to be a part of the institution.
depends, big university, difficult to summarize
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 19, 2015
if you work in research, you will be surrounded by highly educated and talented individuals. However, if you work in a commercial lab, you will be surrounded with people who are very difficult to get along with
Pros
job security
Cons
low salary
Good work for student
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 7, 2016
Come when you please, do the work and go. Work schedule is easier worked around classes. easy work for a student. Cleaned up after lab work.
smell
Cons
to go as you please

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5