Iowa State University Employee Reviews in United States

Student Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2016
I worked as a student at ISU on a part time basis. I really enjoyed the culture and people within the university. Overall a very friendly atmosphere.
Great learning environment
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 9, 2016
Working at the department of residence has been a great experience. I had the privilege of working with amazing staff members. Everyday, I interacted with residents and helped them succeed at Iowa State. I managed the hall desk and made sure everything was working smoothly. The hardest part of the job was the timing of everything. There were many things that needed to be done before major events. I advised a student led house cabinet but it was tough to motivate them to get ideas flowing. Overall, it was a good learning experience and I have grown a lot through the position.
great work experience for a student
Worked up to team lead (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 1, 2016
A great job for a student at Iowa State. Flexible hours that work around class times, and valuable job experience. A great workplace for students, and a good way to make friends.
A nice place to study and concentrate on research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I've been studying aerospace engineering in Iowa State University for two years. My research was focusing on aerodynamics optimization. This period has been a challenging experience for me. We had a great group and solved a lot interesting cases. I've attended two international conferences and presented my papers.
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I worked as Graduate Teaching and Graduate Research Assistant. I assume the work is very dependent on who you work with/for and not very university dependent.
Great place to work, with very laid back atmosohere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAMay 18, 2016
Able to work on my own, critical think on my own, was able to ask the boss a question when conducting an activity. was able to work at my own pace.
Stressful but rewarding
Community Adviser (RA) (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 17, 2016
Can be a great job or bad job depending on your hall director and your on-call hours.
Ample opportunities to make a positive impact on students and learn new skills.
Pros
Free Housing, work where you live, see a positive impact in your community
Cons
Potential for extreme amounts of unpaid work.
research assistant
Volunteer Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 12, 2016
Typical laboratory procedures and analytical techniques
Perform Radioactivity material experiments
Work both independently and collaboratively and maintain regular duties such as ordering and purchasing drug and other supplies, ensuring waste disposal including sharp or biohazard waste, maintaining equipment, and educating students to learn lab skills and safety standards
Positive, relaxed enviroment with easy to work with staff
Front Desk Attendent (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
I managed the front desk at a Iowa State University building. On a typical day, I answered phone calls and student inquiries.
Professional Environment
IT Student Technician (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 8, 2016
The job is in a professional setting. A lot of experience is gained by working with computers and other co-workers. Schedule is very flexible.
Fantastic
Research Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 3, 2016
I was given freedom to independently design experiment to achieve a predetermined goal. The management gave me support and direction to achieve my goals without controlling my day to day work.
Productive, enjoyable, friendly.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 2, 2016
Typically 9 am - 5 pm everyday, involving research and teaching responsibilities. Research advisers are really good. They are very understanding and helpful. Gained teaching experience after coming here and I enjoy it fully. Co-workers are friendly, easy going.
Cons
Healthcare
Great educational Institution
Graduate Student, Department of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 17, 2016
Powerful educational institution that cares for student welfare. Great academic departments that nourishes the qualities of hard work and accountability.
Exceptional school with some truly dedicated professors
Senior Design Project (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 16, 2016
Experiences vary between professors in the Computer Engineering program, but I worked with some very inspiring people that fueled my desire to be a great engineer.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Get what you put in
Good Communication
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant in which I demonstrated the lab procedures and cautions of the upcoming experiment. I also help students to find out the solution they have during they are doing the experiment.
Great work opportunity during the school year
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 8, 2016
Iowa State offers very flexible scheduling to help students schedule around classes. Gives lots of opportunities to gain leadership experience.
Experience as a Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 8, 2016
Everyday is a new learning and I am able to share my knowledge with the students on a regular basis. The duties are not stressful and can be managed efficiently.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 3, 2016
If you get the research assistance position you can get in-state tuition which helps a lot to those graduate students who has financial pressures.
Excellent
INSTRUCTOR, History Dept. (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 28, 2016
This place was a wonderful to work at. It was a beautiful campus and the people were kind, intelligent and welcoming. Always willing to assist.
Excellent univeristy
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 20, 2016
I've had an amazing experience at Iowa State thus far and thats partially because of the courses and professors. There are a variety of classes offered at Iowa State. Most of my classes have been beneficial towards my major and future career although some I also just needed to fill a requirement.

4.4