Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 22, 2017
As a research assistant, you have good flexibility of working 20 hours per week. The job work/life balance is great! And I love the job culture here at ISU!
Friendly proferssors with ample opportunites
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2017
Teaching assistant position at ISU is a challenge to find but if you look at the right place it is possible. Professors are friendly and helping to make the job easier.
Unpaid for Research Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 20, 2017
Tough to review anything for pay when I volunteered for simply for experience. I performed research for 2 years, and was never treated unfairly. I was told to focus on my school work first, and never struggled to manage both research and life. It was rather easy-going.
Pros
Experience
Fun Place to work while going to school
Technical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 19, 2017
I worked as a technical research assistant for the Entomology Department at Iowa State University.
It was hard physical work, but still enjoyable.
I liked the people I worked with. My manager although a little rough around the edges, was a nice guy to work for.
Pros
Fun Place to work
Cons
Maybe could pay more for how hard we strain our bodies
a gluconeogenesis protein FBPase.
Post-Doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 16, 2017
purification and characterization of mutant protein of FBPase protein from bacterial expression system. point mutated proteins were cloned, expressed and purified and studied.
Great School
Chemistry Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 13, 2017
Very good college. Every department you work in you are well received and your talent is appreciated. If you work hard, you will achieve success in your field.
Choose your own adventure
Teaching Assistant & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 12, 2017
Basically get to make your own schedule and lesson plan, and I find that what you put into the job both off the clock and on, really determines how much you get out of it. I fell in love with teaching and the challenge it provided, and I felt absolutely liberated when I realized how much I grew as a leader through teaching in a small and large group setting.
Excellent school
Math Tutor/Grader (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 8, 2017
I worked as a grader and tutor in the math department. It was fun helping the students grasp mathematical concepts. I also enjoyed the staff. They are great.
Excellent community, students, pay and benefits. Terrible administration.
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 7, 2017
Administration is regularly sued for retaliation, discrimination, etc. The taxpayers subsidize the settlements, so they keep making the same mistakes. Don't expect the culture here to change anytime soon.
Great work enviroment
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 1, 2017
My boss was great. I was able to interact with people from all over the world. It was a relaxed work environment. The health insurance and retirement benefits were great.
Great part time college job
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 31, 2017
Worked for Iowa State University which is a great atmosphere being around fellow student workers. Had hours that I could fit around my class schedule which was very convenient.
Wonderful Culture but suffers from funding
Director of Athletic Bands (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 23, 2017
Hours are flexible outside of your classroom assignments. The management is typical of a university environment as they are not really experienced managers and more academics who get thrown into the role that they are not prepared for and many times do not manage people or finances well.
Pros
Good hours and beautiful work environment
Cons
Poor management, low budgets, low pay
good
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 22, 2017
Iowa State University is a very good place to work. I am a research assistant in the department of materials science and engineering. The culture in our department is very friendly and efficient. I love this place.
Work Study opportunity
Dining Hall Staff (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 18, 2017
● Worked in one of the largest dining halls on campus
● Duties included food preparation, maintenance of sanitation standards, and cleaning the kitchen and cafeteria
Pros
Hours worked with class schedule.
Cons
Very early start times.
student
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 17, 2017
I was an athletic training student at Iowa State University from 2014 - 2017. I was a good place to learn everything that I need to know within my career field.
Great Culture
Athlete Network (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 11, 2017
I loved being an on-campus intern for Athlete Network at Iowa State University. Whenever I needed help on a project, there was always somebody I could easily get in contact with who was willing and able to help. You can really get a great sense of the culture at Iowa State when you are working around those people, especially in Athletics.
It's okay
Community Adviser (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 10, 2017
If you can balance classes, work, and social life it should be fine. Compensation for typical work can vary. Management doesn't really have their act together.
Pros
As a CA, free room and board. Any other job, meh.
Cons
work life balance not the best
Decent summer job.
Orientation Schedule Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 5, 2017
Lightweight job. Not much money to be made but not bad management. The people were good and I was able to show initiative and make the job my own. Overall decent.
Amazing university to work with, providing great hospitality
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 29, 2017
Photographing for Iowa State University is challenging and very rewarding. The marketing department is hospitable to all staff, fans and students. They are always thinking outside of the box and doing new and innovative ideas for marketing.
Flexible work hours for students but management is iffy
student worker (Former Employee) –  Memorial Union, Bookstore, College of LASApril 25, 2017
Many of the places that employ students at Iowa State University are a good opportunity to gain work experience, but I wouldn't suggest making a career at some of the places I've worked there. They have wonderfully flexible hours for students, but sometimes because of turnover rates the management is a nightmare.
Pros
student benefits
Cons
low pay, low hours, little sympathy with illness

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4