Iowa State University Employee Reviews

Great place to work, if you work in the right place
Communications (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 27, 2016
I love working at ISU, but it's definitely a place where you have to work for the right supervisor and/or in the right area. It's a decentralized university so employees in different areas may have vastly different experiences. I've worked for some of the best leaders on campus and some of the worst.

But the benefits are great even if the pay isn't what it should be, and the gratification you get from working there means a lot.
Great benefits, risk adverse
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 1, 2016
Benefits are great and pay varies depending on role. Leadership is comprised of PhD's who are sometimes difficult to work. Easily the smartest group of people I've ever worked with, but not too comfortable thinking creatively, strategically or 'outside the box'. The 'silo' stereotype is pretty accurate as people generally do not communicate well.
Fun and Educational at the same time
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 22, 2016
I've worked as a Graduate Research Assistant in Iowa State University for the past 1.5 years and it was nothing but a splendid experience which gave me an opportunity to think outside the box and sharpen my time management skills along with team work and problem solving. I was introduced and became very passionate about Data Analytics and related fields during my tenure and this helped me gain much more knowledge than I would have from classroom alone.
Pros
Tuition Fee reduction
Cons
Sometimes we have to put the research work before our academics
Enjoyable place and sweet memories.
Instructor for ArtGR275, ArtGR276 (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 20, 2016
Iowa State University is a really nice place to learn, work, and live.
During the first two years when I worked there, I was preparing professors' lectures, answering students' concerns, and grading. During the last year, I stood alone to teach two 200 level courses for two semesters, respectively.

The most enjoyable part of working there is the enjoyable physical environment and all my nice graduate colleagues. We learn and work together. We discuss, share, and exchange ideas.

The most hardest part is learning how to keep balance between my own courses and my work.
depends, big university, difficult to summarize
Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 19, 2015
if you work in research, you will be surrounded by highly educated and talented individuals. However, if you work in a commercial lab, you will be surrounded with people who are very difficult to get along with
Pros
job security
Cons
low salary
Exciting role mentoring youth
Head Men's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 30, 2015
Was able to enter the world of college athletics as a golf coach. had spent my life as a player and given the opportunity to pass along knowledge to others.

Responsible for all activities and management of golf team. Recruiting, staffing, budget, travel, scheduling. I learned how to run an entire operation from top to bottom.

Was given freedom to work on my own, with direct reports to senior staff, however constant staff changes throughout my tenure.

Hardest part of job is basing your living on the actions and decisions of 18-22 year old kids. Most enjoyable was the travel and seeing young men develop into adults.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
restrictions and rules with NCAA
freedom with a twist
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 8, 2016
As a graduate student at Iowa State, you're allowed (sometimes even encouraged) to pursue your own line of research, and you can set your own hours. Some advisors are more hands-off, while others micromanage the smallest lab tasks. Most students have difficulty balancing work and life due to a very high work load, with life generally getting the short end of the stick.
Pros
creative freedom, flexible schedules
Cons
high work load
An interesting place to work
Installation and Removal attendant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 13, 2016
Working at Iowa state university has been really an eye-opening experience, I learned a lot.
The management is very understanding of the students ability to put school first.
Great learning environment
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 9, 2016
Working at the department of residence has been a great experience. I had the privilege of working with amazing staff members. Everyday, I interacted with residents and helped them succeed at Iowa State. I managed the hall desk and made sure everything was working smoothly. The hardest part of the job was the timing of everything. There were many things that needed to be done before major events. I advised a student led house cabinet but it was tough to motivate them to get ideas flowing. Overall, it was a good learning experience and I have grown a lot through the position.
Clerk IV, I (Current Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 7, 2015
I have worked at Iowa State University for over 20 years and worked with a lot of great people. The pay and benefits are really good.
Pros
Great People
Cons
pay for parking
Great colleagues, awful management
Instructor (Former Employee) –  IowaApril 26, 2015
A typical day at work involved multiple tasks= phone and email communications, meetings, instructional development and delivery, and in general, putting in long hours: evenings and weekends are common. Learned a lot about operations in higher education, curricula development, interacting with diverse populations.

Co-workers were great, supportive and positive, felt like a family. Management on the other hand, was abysmal. Poor-to-no communication skills, little respect given to anyone without a doctorate degree, tends to assign more responsibilities than stated in contract and be dismissive when brought to their attention.

Hardest part of job= insecurity of the position. Non-tenure track instructors are at high risk of having hours and pay reduced or of losing entire position on very short notice. Most enjoyable part of job= working in a field of interest with multiple opportunities for research and practical application, with enjoyable coworkers and students.
Pros
Great benefits, coworkers, subject matter
Cons
Bureaucratic red tape, dysfunctional management, long hours for low pay
Very fun teacher and coworkers
Undergraduate Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 7, 2016
Help students understand lessons taught in class and correlating them to the shop. Use lathes and mills to teach students GCode and how to use manually.
Productive Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 24, 2016
I work as a Graduate Research Assistant and I feel that it is an awesome university with a lot lot of talented and friendly faculties and I am happy to be a part of the institution.
Good work for student
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 7, 2016
Come when you please, do the work and go. Work schedule is easier worked around classes. easy work for a student. Cleaned up after lab work.
smell
Cons
to go as you please
Very productive and learning
Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 24, 2016
Very good work environment. Everything taken care of. The most skillful and managerial experience with teaching students and communicating with them to clear any doubts.
Pros
Fee waiver, health insurance, etc
Cons
NA
good working place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 24, 2016
My typical work day was deriving formulations, algorithm implementation, coding and debugging. I like Iowa State University where I had quiet working space and nice co-works
As a grad student, you're pretty much slave labor. Poor pay, benefits, management
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 26, 2012
I can't even begin to describe my dissatisfaction with this university. We had to fight tooth and nail just to get pay raises to keep up with rising housing costs in town. The health benefits are good if you get the sniffles, but heaven help you if you have a serious illness. The university aims to keep all complaints off the books through informal discussions, so no one is ever held accountable for poor management decisions. The physics department is run as an old-boy's club (no domestic female graduate students have entered in the past 4 years). They simply don't take their students' concerns seriously, and their interest is entirely in maintaining the faculty.

Also, it's grad school. You may be paid for "half-time" (ie, 20 hour work week) but if you don't put in at least 60 hours a week, apparently you're doing it wrong.
Pros
no tuition
Cons
awful healthcare, no management accountability, poor pay, poor working conditions.
Student Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJune 21, 2016
I worked as a student at ISU on a part time basis. I really enjoyed the culture and people within the university. Overall a very friendly atmosphere.
A great learning experience
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 2, 2016
I developed my passion for teaching, and learned a lot about successful techniques to perform well in this field.
A nice place to study and concentrate on research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 19, 2016
I've been studying aerospace engineering in Iowa State University for two years. My research was focusing on aerodynamics optimization. This period has been a challenging experience for me. We had a great group and solved a lot interesting cases. I've attended two international conferences and presented my papers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Iowa State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5